Background

Maybe This Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hello, Author here,

Before you read this chapter I just want to give you a heads up that this will be background chapter, setting up the mood of the characters and introdui=cing who will be the present majority of the time. As I mention in my foreword, I will be taking a hiatus so I would like to apologize ahead of time. Hope you like what I have come up with so far. I will update all the chapters when the time comes. Anyways please enjoy!

- Author 

A row of naval ships was arriving back to shore after years of deployment. They have returned to their Homeland to get a well off to get a little quality time with their loved ones. As everyone was working from front to back on the ship. A powerful person on one particular ship walks up to the deck waiting to be docked. This was known as the medical boat, taking care of their soldiers in harm from battle and accidents working the ship. As the ship reached land, ducking their position to reach the main base, a mysterious person waited, to go on board, as a path was secretly made for them to get on board. From their binoculars, the smiling person saw who it was, bellowing their voice to get the medical ship's attention.

???: ATTENTION ON DECK!

Everyone gathered in their assigned rows standing at attention at the naval medical base as the Captain ordered.

All Navy soldiers: Aye!

???: At ease. Now, I want to introduce a very good friend and the person who will be fighting along with us. Along with me being the main Physician, she will be me second in command, treating and handling the surgeries. Please meet Lieutenant Commander Chou Tzuyu, specializing in Trauma and Neurosurgery.

 

As her name was called, a tall figure appeared, fully dressed, and decked out gracefully approached the front. Her long jet-black hair was put in a lot but, as everything about her screamed cold and strict. Meeting face to face, she stood stern at attention, greeting the rank in a salute. The Captain accepted the salute and started their command.

 

???: At ease.

 

The mature figure finished her salute and stood back at attention with hand by her side with no sudden movement. The Captain took out the Insignia ranks and attached them to the new officer, taping them at ease once their rank was given. The stern girl stood still, waiting for the next command.

???: About phase

 

Tzuyu followed orders, turning 180 degrees facing the rest of the Navy crew. As she did the Captain had everyone at ease and clapped. All the cadets sorted 'HO-AH HO-AH' and clapped for the new surgeon.

 

???: Carry on.

 

Everyone dispersed to their original positions and assignments, caring for their talk on the ship. The captain then called Tzuyu to her office as the latter saluted and followed. As they both made their way in and the door shut behind them, the captain eased up and stuck their hands out.

???: It's a pleasure to have you here. How have you been? It's been about 4 years since we last met.

Tzuyu: Yes Captain. Back when I was completing my residency for my dual Specialties at another Navy base. You were my Attending during your off-duty years before being called to duty again.

???: I understand the formality, Chou, but please relax.

Tzuyu: I am afraid I cannot. It would be rude in terms of your superiority.

???: Yah… Chou, you're talking about being rude to me? I'm Park Jihyo, your friend as well, I honestly don't give much care about this rank, but I know what you mean. But still, it's been a while, my friend.

Tzuyu: I am sorry Captain, I do not want special treatment, risking the trust that I will be gaining working with everyone soon. That is all.

Jihyo: Aigo… tell you what, let's go to a bar later tonight. No one will know and we can catch up. Then we can talk more informally.

 

The mature latter hesitated if it would be a good idea. She was worried about getting special treatment again… like during her residency years. Everyone knew Park Jihyo was famous, and that she was feared by all that worked under her.

 

Tzuyu POV

I was lucky and got on her good side and we eventually became friends… but as I worked my hardest to get where I am today… Everyone doubted me if I really worked hard or was given many opportunities due to Jihyo pulling some strings. It frustrates me as I worked hard, day and night, sacrificing every little thing in my life to get where I am and be above. But it was not perceived by everyone… especially the competition in the residency… They would always whisper behind my back:

Worthless cheapskate!

Attention seeker.

A sleeping my way to the top

A reckless and shameful

Since getting my Medical degree and residency years, I have learned to stay quiet and be by myself. I was always perceived as that person until I met Jihyo Sumbae. As my head wandered in thought I forgot Captain Jihyo needed an answer. I went back into focus after my deep thought and nodded my head.

 

Tzuyu: Yes Captain.

Jihyo: Perfect. Let’s meet by my car at 10 pm. I will drive us to the bar. And where something less formal. Your everyday uniform should be okay since we're off duty at the moment. Oh but first, do you know where your office is?

Tzuyu: Yes Captain, I do. Someone gave me the virtual tour when they initially hired me.

Jihyo: Perfect. Now carry on.

 

The mature latter nodded again and saluted, making her way to the office and settling her things. As she started to rearrange her stuff to make it feel more like home, she noticed a picture that she hasn't seen in a while. She picked up that photo frame and had a sad smile.

 

Tzuyu: I wonder how you're doing right now. I hope everything is well with you…

 

Tzuyu placed the photo down and took her phone out. She looked at the number of the person that was currently on her mind. After hesitation, she turned her phone off and placed it away on her desk and finished cleaning up her office. Once she finished. She made her way done to the medical naval Base, introducing herself once more and familiarizing how everything was run. She then started helping with the check-ups, checking in on the need and how their progress was going, and what treatment needs to be done next. Once she finished, she made her way back to the office changing into her uniform. She looked at the time seeing that it was almost 10, making her way to Jihyo's car. She recognized it as it was the same exact car from 4 years ago. She smiled on that thought and progressed to the car, as the latter stood there waiting for her.

 

Jihyo: All set Chou?

Tzuyu: Yes Park.

Jihyo: Haha same old-time from back then. Well, I'll take that over being called Captain all day! Well, let's go to my usual spot!

Tzuyu: Let's get separate cars? Just in case anything happens.

Jihyo: Hmmm. You're right! Always side on the possibility or caution. Tzuyu, you can follow behind me, right?

Tzuyu: Sure. I'll be behind in case I get lost. It's been a while since I went to the bar in the city.

Jihyo: I'm sure you remember! But yes, follow behind. I'll go a bit slow.

Tzuyu: Thank you

 

They then drove off to the city making their destination.

 

Meanwhile back in the City.

It was a quiet day, slow in the hospital as nothing wasn't happening. The pharmaceutical section was the only one running back and forth, meeting the demands of the patient. From the back appeared a beautiful girl, with long chestnut brown hair, moving swiftly to get the orders set.

 

Sana: Momo, is everything all good with the prescriptions?<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter