A Couple Birds of Paradise

Birds of Paradise

“Keep it steady…” Yerin whispers against Sinb’s ear as the both of them duck behind the cover of a nearby tree, eyeing a wild boar grazing the ground not far from where they stood. The two were out hunting for food that day, having made it a daily ritual for them to go out in the mornings to enjoy the outdoors and enjoy the fruits of their labor upon returning home.

 

“I think I got it.” Sinb whispers before holding her breath to keep herself steady and finally letting the arrow go, watching with bated breath as it whizzed through the air, straight towards her intended target. Time seemed to be slowing down as the arrow flew closer and closer only to miss its mark when the boar suddenly ran off towards a random direction. The both of them letting out groans of disappointment at the close call.

 

“Shame. Well, we can always try again.” Yerin assures her with a gentle pat on her back, “And anyway, we should be heading back. I think we’ve hunted enough to last us for next year.”

 

Chuckling a bit, Sinb shoulders her bow and makes a face, “We both know all these hunts won’t last a day with your appetite.”

 

“You talk as if you don’t shove an entire rabbit inside your mouth.”

 

“Well same goes to you!” Sinb quickly rebuts, following Yerin as they make their trip home.

 

Everyday has been a blast for the two. No castle walls to cage them in, no one to tell them what to do, no prying eyes and ears for them to be conscious of. It was only the two of them, having the time of their lives, doing whatever came to mind, enjoying the freedom that they so long savored and now find themselves indulging in. Everyday felt like a new day to experience new things, and with nothing to hold them back, they were going all out in trying out as much as they can in the time provided. Whatever came to mind, they would do it, regardless of whether they failed or succeeded in it.

 

“Hm? Is that Sojung?” Sinb notices the two presences near the cabin, recognizing the tall figures anywhere, “It doesn’t look like they have supplies with them…”

 

“No it doesn’t…” Yerin trails off, her expression slowly turning serious. Of course there would be times when Sojung and Yuna would come to check on them to make sure they have everything that they need, Eunha and Yewon would do the same and they always bought something with them just in case and so it was a new sight to see them there empty-handed but no doubt looking like they have brought something with them.

 

“Your highnesses.” the two greet the moment they were close enough.

 

“Hey you two.” Sinb greets back with a wave, “What brings you here? You don’t look like you’ve come just for pleasantries.”

 

“Well, that’s…” Sojung and Yuna shared a look, “Perhaps it’d be better if we discuss this inside.”

 

Curious the two princesses just nodded, wanting to get it over and done quickly so they could have dinner. Leading the way inside, the two told the knights to make themselves at home before heading over to store their hunts and finds for future purposes. Feeling that the topic couldn’t be held off for too long, the two then quickly settled themselves on the chairs, facing the two knights who were sat together.

 

“We’ve brought news.” they said, breathing in before they continued, “The kings have agreed to the terms. They have called off the marriage, as well as the alliance, however they insisted that there would be a peace treaty between the two to make sure they didn’t become enemies of the other.”

 

“That means…” Sinb began, looking over at Yerin worriedly.

 

“You have to return.” Sojung confirms, a tense silence engulfing the receiving area as soon as she mentioned the words that the two have been dreading to hear since they ran away. It’s been more than a week since their stunt and the kings have been surprisingly quiet all this time despite the threat to their daughter’s lives. They initially thought that they wouldn’t have hesitated to cancel the union if it’s for their sakes, but it seems that it wasn’t the case.

 

They were almost sure that their fathers have given up on them, but hearing this news now, it seems that it wasn’t the case.

 

“What if we don’t want to go back?” Sinb suddenly speaks up, causing the others to turn to her but there was no surprise in their expressions, “I want to stay here.”

 

“If you don’t go back your highness, the kings will definitely order a man hunt for the people who ‘took’ you.” Yuna explains, “People who don’t exist. They will spend the rest of their lives chasing thin air, would you really want that for your parents?”

 

“You don’t understand…” Sinb shoots up from her seat, looking angrily at the two knights, “It’s because you don’t understand what we feel. I refuse to go back and be locked up within those walls again. Not again.”

 

And with that she power walked out of the living area, heading upstairs straight to her shared room with Yerin. The three remaining looked on with worry as the younger princess slammed the door behind her.

 

“I think I’ve overstepped my boundaries…” Yuna mumbled, head bowing in regret.

 

“No you didn’t.” Yerin stood up, assuring her with a small hand on her shoulder, “I’ll go talk to her.”

 

“Your highness… Do you want to go back?” Sojung asks.

 

“We have no choice do we?” Yerin replies sadly, “Don’t worry. I’ll convince her somehow. In the meantime, can you help us begin preparing for the journey?”

 

The two nodded, heading off to fulfil their orders while Yerin looked up towards the direction of their room and sighed. She knew this day would come one way or another, she just hoped that it came later than sooner, at least gave them enough time to indulge themselves more, but it seems luck wasn’t on their side.

 

Slowly walking up the steps and into the hallway leading to their room, Yerin gingerly knocked on the door before letting herself in despite the lack of response from the younger princess. Said princess was sprawled on the bed, lying down on her stomach with her face buried in the pillows and completely immobile, not even acknowledging Yerin’s presence despite having made herself known.

 

“Sinb?”  she approached, the bed dipping slightly as she sat on the edge right beside Sinb’s prone figure.

 

She reached out and gently held her hand in hers.

 

“Do we really have to go back?” her muffled voice spoke from within the pillows, a sigh following her words right after, “Isn’t it possible for us to just feign our deaths and live away from them instead?”

 

“We can always do that.” Yerin tells her, Sinb raising her head upon hearing her response. She seemed to be shocked that she would readily agree to it, “But is that what you want?”

 

Sinb couldn’t find it in herself to answer yes.


“But don’t you want to be with me?” she asks the princess, sitting up from her prone position so that she can face Yerin properly.

 

“I do.”

 

“Then why?”

 

“Sinb we only did this so that we could escape my marriage.” she explains slowly, “And now that the marriage has been dealt with, there are a lot more chances for us to stay together without having to leave our families and our lives behind. Can you find it in yourself to do that? To be strangers with the ones you consider as family?”

 

Sinb sighed, shaking her head in response. Though it’s true that she’s felt suffocated because of having been kept within the castle walls, her parents and brother never lacked in making her feel wanted, that she belonged and that they love her. Sinb couldn’t even begin to think of what it would be like to completely erase them from her life.

 

“But I want to stay with you.”

 

“We’ll find a way.” Yerin assures her, squeezing her hand gently, “We’ve come this far. I’ll make sure to find a way.”

 

Sinb sighs deeply then nods, “I trust you. I’ll be with you every step of the way.”

 

Yerin smiles, gently bringing Sinb’s hand up to her lips and placing a chaste kiss on the back of it, her eyes closing as she does so, “I love you.”

 

“And I love you more.” Sinb replies with a loving smile in return, “Have I ever told you you’re beautiful?”

 

“Where’s this coming from all of a sudden?” Yerin asks with a hint of mirth and fondness in her tone.

 

“I just feel I haven’t said it enough.” she answers, reaching forward slightly to place a hand on her cheek, “Everyday I wake up to the sight of you, and sometimes I can’t help but think how lucky I am to open my eyes to this view all the time. I’m scared that one day I might not see this sight anymore.”

 

“You’ll always see me.” Yerin assures her, trying her best to appease her worries, “The same way I want to see you always too. None of that will change. Promise me,” she says, looking straight into her eyes, “Nothing will change from now on.”

 

“I promise.”

 

The ride down the dirt road back to the castle town was in complete silence, none of the princesses wanting to even try to alleviate the nervous atmosphere bearing down heavily on them. Each of them having only one thought: on what their fate will be the moment they return. They still weren’t sure how both kingdoms would act upon their return. Would Yerin be forced to leave for home? Would they be separated? The assurances they said to each other not long ago were more to convince themselves, but they know that the situation wasn’t exactly in favor of them.

 

Hands intertwined and resting atop Yerin’s thigh, Sinb noticed Yerin’s grip getting tighter as the woman looked out the carriage windows in deep thought and when she looked out herself, she understood why.

 

The castle was within sight.

 

What was once what she considered a breathtaking view was now a sight she didn’t want to see for days, for months, even years. The feeling of separation was becoming imminent, and the closer they get, the closer they were to what fate has in store for them.

 

Sinb breathed in deep, fidgeting nervously in her seat, a feeling of dread bearing down on her the moment their carriage has completely entered the walls of the town.

 

“It’ll be okay.” Yerin whispers.

 

Sinb turns to her and sees the woman looking at her with a small smile, but even then Sinb wasn’t convinced. Yet Yerin was trying her best, despite the odds not being in their favor, so the least she can do was do the same.

 

Nodding, she swallowed thickly when the carriage finally came to a full stop. Nervousness began to settle in, a part of her began to panic, and it was only because of Yerin’s tight grip on her hand that she was able to keep her thoughts in line.

 

“Your highnesses, we’ve arrived.” Sojung announced, but none of them made a move to head out. It was as if the moment they stepped out of that carriage, their separation was already set in stone. Closing her eyes and taking in a deep breath, she looks on over at Yerin and sees the hesitation visible in her features. It was like her entire being screamed that it didn’t want to leave that spot, and to be honest, Sinb thought that way as well.

 

However, they would have to face it sooner or later, Sinb realized that they can’t be on the run all the time. It was either they face it now, or continue running from it forever.

 

“Let’s go, Yerin.” Sinb tells her, the woman turning to her in slight shock, “We’ll find a way. You’re not getting married to anyone anymore, so there should be a way. Right?”

 

Yerin breathes in deep, “I won’t lie to you Sinb, our chances are slim…” she tells her, “But it’s better than not trying at all.” she nods, “Let’s go.”

 

The castle was still in the same state as they left it, minus the damages the chaos had done during their escape. The garden was back to its original state, the halls as silent as ever and walls being as tall as ever. The two princesses, escorted by their respective knights, walked down the halls heading to the throne room and the two couldn’t help but feel nostalgic walking on the soft carpeted floor when they’ve gotten used to the feeling of trudging through grass and earth and walking on the hard floors of their cabin and surroundings.

 

They reached the throne room not long after, its large doors opening to welcome them in. For the two, it almost felt like entering the gateways to hell.

 

“Yerin!”

 

“Sinb, my daughter!”

 

Both mothers immediately exclaimed the moment they stepped inside and engulfed the two in a tight embrace, both princesses immediately softening up in the arms of their mothers, their guilt overcoming them as they both felt sorry for succumbing to their selfish desires and had failed to even think of how much worry they’ve caused their parents.

 

“Yerin…” the woman looked up to see King Leon approaching, looking ragged and full of relief the closer he came, “I’m so glad you’re alright.”

 

“I’m so sorry for worrying you.” Yerin tells him.

 

“No.” he shook his head, turning to Gladiolus who nodded, “It should be us who should apologize.”

 

“You have nothing to be sorry for, you tried your best—“ Sinb began but was silenced with a gesture from her father.

 

“We know everything.” he tells her, a small smile blossoming on his face, “And the stunt you and your knights did.”

 

Forehead creasing in confusion, the two princesses shared a look as their mothers all burst into small laughs and their fathers looked down at them with smiles on their faces.

 

“How was your vacation?”

 

---

 

“I can’t believe you ratted us out. Yerin, let me go. Just one kick to face, just let me kick his face—“ Sinb struggled against Yerin’s hold as everyone present laughed at the display before them. They were still in the throne room, having been joined by Clem, Eunha and Yewon along with the other knights’ presences and it was then that their father had begun to explain what happened when they escaped, with mostly Clem doing the explaining for them.

 

It turned out that a day after the escape, the prince had come clean to the two kings and admitted that he was the person behind all of it. He also told them that he also didn’t want to get married, however, if they merely announced to call off the marriage after having gone through invitations and engagement parties, it would reflect badly on the two kingdom’s reputations and so he staged an act, making it look like a third party was against their alliance, and so it would turn to be the perfect excuse to call off the marriage.

 

They had to admit that their daughters having fallen for the other was the most shocking part of the revelation, but they soon grew to accept it over time, allowing their daughters to enjoy the time for themselves for as long as they can, however they can no longer delay their decision. And so despite wanting more time for the two of them, they had to call them back for the sake of the act.

 

“So that’s why it took you so long to decide.” Yerin buried her face in her hands after successfully keeping Sinb from attacking her brother, “And we were beginning to think that you didn’t care about us.”

 

“Turns out it was the opposite. They cared enough to give you time.” Clem grinned.

 

Yerin points a finger at him, “We’re not done with you.”

 

He raises his hands in surrender.

 

“Are you really fine with this though?” Sinb asks all the people present, “We acted on our selfishness and caused you a lot of trouble.”

 

“Oh, of course we’re not letting that go young woman.” King Leon told her, “And so, me and King Gladiolus have agreed that because of the trouble you brought into his castle, Yerin, you’re to stay here for the meantime, meanwhile me and your mother will be heading home.”

 

Yerin blinks as his father winks in her direction.

 

“However, you two will stay permanently in Knospe after that!” he quickly adds only to cause a huge objection from Blume’s king and queen.

 

“We haven’t agreed on that! I will allow staying for a while, but they will obviously permanently live here!” he thundered.

 

The two then began to get into a heated debate while the onlookers could only sigh in exasperation at how childish the two kings were acting.

 

“You two… how about we ask Yerin and Sinb on what they want?” Queen Iris interrupted, effectively silencing the two.

 

All eyes were on them as they waited patiently to make a decision meanwhile Yerin and Sinb just shared a knowing look, smiles adorning their faces as they already know what their decision is.

 

“What’s the fun in staying in only one place?” Yerin grinned as she said this, Sinb mirroring her look almost automatically, “Me and Sinb would like to use this chance to go around and discover more places.”

 

“I knew this was coming…” Clem remarked with a laugh while the two kings looked crestfallen at her answer, but they still looked at the both of them with smiles on their faces as if already knowing that they would come to that decision.

 

Unshackled, unbound, just like birds set free from their cages, the two of them were desperate for their freedoms at the start but now, they will make the most of it.

 

“Where should we go first though?” Sinb asked as the two kings resumed their childish bickering.

 

Yerin hums in thought, before turning to her with a smile, “Let’s just go wherever.” she tells her, grasping her hand in hers, “Surprises are always better after all. Even more so with the company.”

 

Sinb breathes out a laugh, “Of course…” turning to her and grinning excitedly, “Let’s go on an adventure.”

 

end

A/N Apple MV Release in just a few hours!!!!!