Love and Adventure

Birds of Paradise

Yerin stared warily at the weapon, swallowing uneasily as her nervousness grew. She had no weapon with her to defend herself with, so she knew she had to follow the instructions given to her or else it will be her life at stake.

 

But Yuna still hasn’t returned and she can’t just go anywhere without the knight’s knowledge. If she rely to find Yerin gone, she would most likely assume that something bad has happened and the least she wanted was to worry the commander.

 

“I can’t just yet.” Yerin began to say, “I’m still waiting for someone, but we’ll leave as soon as she arrives.”

 

“I don’t think so.” the stranger shook her head, “What if you’re waiting for someone and team up against me? Leave.”

 

“Please…”

 

“Go someplace else.” the stranger pointed the sword at her, “This is my spot. Leave or else—“

 

She was unable to finish her words as the sound of a metal hitting against another resounded through the night and before Yerin could even understand what was happening, a figure had already made its way to her side and pulled her behind said figure. Getting a good look, she saw Yuna, her sword already drawn out and pointed at the stranger who was also on the defense at the sudden attack.

 

“I’m sorry I took so long.” Yuna said, her eyes not leaving the stranger’s figure, “Are you okay?”

 

“I’m alright.” Yerin assured her, looking over warily at the woman, “Let’s just leave.”

 

Yuna turned to her briefly, “Are you sure?”

 

“She just wanted us to leave and I don’t want any trouble. Let’s go someplace else.” she insisted, and though Yuna was reluctant, she decided to follow the princess’s orders and nodded.

 

Before they left, the knight ce more towards the stranger and pointed her sword at her, “You should be thankful that her highness decided to spare your life, but if you so much point your sword at her one more time, I won’t be as merciful.”

 

Yerin noticed the stranger’s stance waver for a bit as her eyes widened, then morphed into a look of confusion, “‘Your highness?’ What are you talking about?”

 

Another scrunch of leaves interrupted them and they all turned to the source out of reflex only to reveal a woman of tall stature approaching, her eyes slightly narrowed the moment she saw the drawn swords and made a move to draw hers as well, but then stopped when she saw Yuna’s surprised expression.

 

“Aren’t you…?” the woman spoke, taking her hand off her weapon and pointed at Yuna.

 

“Sojung?” Yuna stared, while the two other presences just looked back and forth between them.

 

“W-What is going on here?” the woman, Sojung, asked, turning to the stranger and then to Yerin.

 

“I should be asking you that. What are you doing here?” Yuna asked, sheathing her sword and standing straight.

 

“I came for her.” Sojung pointed to the other woman in the area, “…Princess Sinb, put your sword down, they’re not hostiles.”

 

The stranger, Sinb, reluctantly followed, but refused to let down her guard.

 

“Wait… Princess Sinb?” Yuna repeated, looking to Sojung for confirmation.

 

“Who is that person with you?” Sojung asked, gesturing to Yerin.

 

“This is… Princess Yerin, of the Kingdom of Knospe.” Yuna introduced meanwhile Yerin took that as her cue to greet the person with a bow which she returned hurriedly the moment she realized she was face to face with royalty.

 

“I’m Yerin, a pleasure to meet you.” she introduced herself, then turned to Sinb, “And you?”

 

“…I’m Sinb.” she replied succinctly.

 

Sojung just sighed and spoke, “This is her highness Sinb, princess of our kingdom.” Sojung explained to the two clueless guests, “I apologize for her behavior.”

 

Yuna bowed her head, “I apologize for raising my sword against you, Your Highness.”

 

Sinb just waved the apology off, “It’s fine. I should be sorry for threatening a defenseless woman anyway.” she said, turning to Yerin, “Sorry about that.”

 

“It’s fine…”

 

“Putting that aside, Yuna, what are you and her highness doing here?” Sojung asked, approaching the knight who just sighed, “I did hear of your arrival, but why aren’t you at the castle?”

 

“It’s a long story…”

 

“Well, we can talk about it as we make camp.” Sojung beckoned, and they nodded in agreement, deciding to settle down.

 

---

 

“So you chose to run away because of that?” Sinb asked after the two narrated everything that happened, “My brother’s not a bad person.”

 

“It’s not a matter of who I’m to be wed to, it’s a matter of them deciding for me.” Yerin retorted, “How would you like it if your father suddenly announced your engagement’s in a week?”

 

Sinb fell silent at this. As a princess, she’s always feared that a time like that would come when she’d be wed to someone she barely knows. It’s almost an inescapable fate for them, and she certainly doesn’t want to be in the situation Yerin is right now.

 

“…Sorry.” Sinb could only say, finally understanding the weight of her predicament. The woman’s features visibly softened at the apology and just offered her fellow princess a reassuring smile.

 

“It’s okay, you were just looking out for your brother.” Yerin said, “Just… I have no plans to go back just yet. Come to think of it, why aren’t you in the castle, Princess Sinb?”

 

Sojung was the one who answered, “Sinb here trains at night, sometimes in the morning. Her father wants her to learn to defend herself but he doesn’t want anyone else to know and so we always come here at night or dawn to train.” she explained.

 

“Then we’re interrupting…” Yerin began to say but Sinb shook her head, turning to Sojung for confirmation.

 

“It’s okay.” Sojung assured the princess, “It would be nice to take a break like this once in a while. It’s a pleasant surprise to see Yuna here as well.”

 

The said knight commander just smiled and nodded while the two princesses just stared at both of them.

 

“How do you know each other in the first place?” Sinb was the one to ask and both knights looked at each other before turning to their charges.

 

“I’ve already mentioned that I’ve come here once in a while on certain occasions.” the knight answered, “And given we are both commanders, our paths have crossed one too many times.”

 

They gave nods of understanding, not needing any further explanation with regards to the two’s relationship and just listened in silence as they resumed their conversation, asking each other how they were doing and what they’ve been up to for the past years.

 

Yerin, on the other hand, wanted to get to know more about her fellow princess, but she seemed like the kind of person who didn’t talk a lot and so she just kept silent, listening in on the conversation she tried to understand but in vain. Sighing, this gained the two’s attention as they both turned to her.

 

“I’m sorry your highness, are we boring you?” Yuna asked out of concern.

 

Yerin shook her head abruptly, before replying with a sheepish smile, “Of course not! In fact I’m glad to hear the both of you get along well and that Yuna has someone she can talk about her interests with, I’m afraid when Yuna starts talking about training and whatnot, I doze off in the middle so I’m not the best companion for her when it comes to that.”

 

Sojung laughed at that, “True enough, she gets quite passionate when it comes to training.”

 

“Your highness, don’t say it like that. I appreciate your company very much.”

“I should be the one saying that Yuna, you’re the one who accompanies me wherever I go.” Yerin corrected, “So I should be the one who is thankful. You even willingly joined me here without bothering with the consequence of our actions…”

 

“What do you plan to do now?” Sinb asked out of the blue, “I-I mean… since you obviously don’t want to go back just yet…”

 

“Who knows?” Yerin replied with mirth, “Maybe stay here until my father realizes the wrong in his actions?”

 

“You will have to stay here for a lifetime.” Yuna quipped.

 

Yerin sighed and hugged her knees close to her chest once more, a habit that she’s developed when things did not go the way she liked them to. To many it would seem that she was too spoiled, but her actions were reasonable if anyone actually took the time to understand the gravity of her situation.

 

“I don’t want to see him or mother right now.” Yerin mumbled, “And if I have to stay here, then so be it.”

 

“Your highness, you will need to go back at some point—“ Yuna began but was cut off when Sinb spoke.

 

“If my father did that to me I would probably be acting this way too.” she said, looking over at the woman’s direction, “But the commander, is right. You may have to go back at some point…” she then turned to Sojung who just stared back curiously, “But I assume you don’t want to see them anytime soon…”

 

“You understand my plight very well, your highness.” Yerin remarked, nodding her head in agreement to everything Sinb said.

 

“I just… I just thought of what I would feel if I was in your situation.” Sinb replied, slightly embarrassed at the praise, “But I don’t think it’s a good idea for you to camp out here so…” she turned to Sojung again who seemed to finally understand what she wanted to say.

 

“I think her highness wants to help.” Sojung told the two, “Being the troublemaker that she is, she’s prone to running away after all, so she has a few hiding spots that you may use.”

 

“Hey!” Sinb exclaimed, “I’m not a troublemaker.”

 

“Of course not…” Sojung grumbled half-heartedly, not believing her words in the very least, “But if you need any place to cool your minds off for a while, I have a place you may like. But wouldn’t King Leon be searching for you if you disappear all of a sudden?”

 

“Her highness Yerin is just as much as a troublemaker as Princess Sinb is.” Yuna ignored the elbow to her side because of her words, “And would escape the castle whenever the opportunity presents itself. Right now, his majesty understands that Yerin needs some time for herself. I’m sure he’s also sorry for his actions—“

 

“If he’s sorry he can call off the wedding.” Yerin spoke up, sulking again.

 

Yuna sighed, “We would be thankful for any help you offer.”

 

“I see… your highness.” Sojung turned to Sinb, “It seems we have to postpone our training for another day.”

 

“That’s fine.” Sinb looked over at Yerin who stared back, “…I hope this helps.”

 

Yerin let a smile blossom on her face as she stood up, her eyes not leaving Sinb’s figure, and bowed to her in earnest, “You have my gratitude.”

 

Sinb also stood up, “I-It’s fine… You needed the help anyway. Sojung, let’s go…”

 

“Right.” Sojung stood up as well as Yuna, “Let me just get something to put out the fire…”

 

“I’ll help.” Yuna offered, walking off with her fellow knight commander, leaving the two princesses alone.  An awkward silence began to form between the two, with the both of them not exactly knowing how to address the other or what to talk about in the first place given that their first meeting wasn’t at all pleasant. Yerin could still remember the way Sinb threatened her and Sinb could remember the fear on her face. If it weren’t for Sojung and Yuna, they couldn’t even imagine what would have happened.

 

Yerin breathed in and spoke up, “By the way… thank you for helping.” she said in a small voice, turning to Sinb, “To many, my actions may look childish, but you willingly lent out a helping hand despite that. Why?”

 

Sinb was taken off-guard by the question. To be fairly honest, she didn’t exactly know why she wanted to help her out. Maybe because she could sympathize with her situation? Maybe to apologize for scaring her earlier? No, she knew there was something else to it but she was unable to point it out. She just knew that she needed to help somehow and the way Yerin was adamant on keeping away from the castle as much as possible drove her to offer her a place to stay for the meantime. The reason was vague, but she just didn’t like seeing Yerin doing something she doesn’t want to.

 

“Isn’t it enough that I just want to help?” Sinb asked back instead.

 

Yerin stared, then smiled, “Well whatever your reason is, I’m thankful. And for listening to my childish whims…”

 

Sinb reciprocated the smile, “This is your future after all, I understand that someone deciding your fate for you isn’t the most pleasant thing. I’ll try to talk to my father on giving you more time…”

 

“Y-You don’t need to…”

 

“A week is too short.” Sinb shook her head, “I think marriage is a huge commitment and you haven’t even met my brother yet so no matter how you look at it, it’s not right...”

 

“You’re a good person Princess Sinb.” Yerin remarked upon hearing her words.

 

Sinb looked away, “You can just call me Sinb.”

 

“Then you can call me Yerin.”

 

Sinb nodded in agreement, “Right… I’m sorry for earlier, Yerin.”

 

“You’ve long been forgiven for that.” Yerin chuckled, “So let’s put that behind us now.”

 

Sinb felt relief and was glad that Yerin wasn’t the kind of person who would carry grudges unlike some people she knew who would carry the smallest of offenses with them until the day they get revenge.

 

At that moment, the two knights finally returned and put out the fire before they began to make their way to the town, with Yuna and Yerin following them at the same time looking around, slightly amazed at how lively the town was despite it already being night time. It was a stark contrast to theirs that was as silent as a ghost village when it was close to the wee hours of the morning.

 

They reached a certain house near the outskirts of the town and Sojung informed them that it was actually her home before she took residence in the castle.

 

“Is it really alright with you for us to stay here for the meantime?” Yerin asked, hesitating slightly, “I feel that we’re imposing on you too much.”

 

Sojung nodded her head, “My sister is the only person here right now, and I would be prefer it if she has someone here with her instead of just living here alone.” she explained, “And Sinb is the actual owner of the house and allowed us to use it, if the owner insists your stay, then I have no objections.”

 

“You’re doing us a big favor your highness.” Yuna turned to the princess with a bow of thanks, “Thank you.”

 

“I just hope you find it comfortable.” Sinb replied, turning to Yerin.

 

“I once slept in the woods with nothing but the clothes on my back, I’m sure I’ll be comfortable.” Yerin told her, earning an amazed look from both Sojung and Sinb.

 

It was almost unbecoming for a princess to have experienced such a thing.

 

Curious, Sinb approached, “Did that really happen?”

 

Yerin chuckled, nodding her head while Yuna just smiled in amusement, “Perhaps I can tell you about it some other time.”

 

“I’ll look forward to it.” Sinb replied with a tinge of excitement in her tone.

 

“It’s about time for you to turn in for the night, your highness.” Yuna told the princess.

 

“Then, let me call my sister and let her give you a tour of the place.” Sojung offered, “Me and Sinb will be heading back to the castle.”

 

“I will be going back with you.” Yuna said, earning curious looks from the others, “I will have to explain to his majesty and perhaps I can convince him to give her highness more time.”

 

“But Yerin…” Sinb mumbled, turning to the other princess. It didn’t seem right to her to just leave her alone like that, but Yerin was surprisingly fine with it. Perhaps Yerin is more independent than she thinks she is.

 

“I’ll be fine.” Yerin assured her, “Better here than in the woods after all.”

 

“Perhaps…” Sinb mumbled.

 

“If you’re worried, Sinb, you can stay the night then. I can inform his Majesty of your whereabouts—“

 

“And have him send guards here?” Sinb interrupted, “Never mind.”

 

Sojung just laughed, “His majesty has a tendency to be overly protective of the princess.” she explained to the two, “If I’m not with her, she’s not allowed to venture anywhere.”

 

“I can handle myself just fine.” Sinb grumbled.

 

“It would be nice if the King thought the same.” Sojung remarked, “Nevertheless, come this way your highness, Yewon should be making dinner at the moment…”

 

---

 

Yerin woke up the following morning feeling refreshed and in one of the best moods that she’s ever found herself in. Despite her impending engagement party that was set in a week, the previous night’s events were far more important in her mind. Yuna had returned after and informed her that her father and King Gladiolus agreed to move the wedding, with the reason that she should get to know her soon to be husband better, but the engagement date was settled.

 

It was better than nothing, at least.

 

The knight informed her that Sinb was a huge help in convincing both monarchs, another thing that Yerin reminded herself to thank the princess for.

 

Rising up and getting off the bed, she made sure to fix it before proceeding to the window and opening it, feeling a gentle breeze pass by and enter the room. Being near the outskirts of the town, it was fairly silent but if she listened carefully, she could hear the hustle and bustle of the town’s citizens who are already up that early morning for their usual businesses for the day.

 

The surroundings weren’t that clear the previous night since it was dark, but now that she got a good look, she could see how this home was situated in an area that gave her a good view of the beautiful sunrise.

 

Sojung’s sister, Yewon, was a person who Yerin immediately thought would be soft spoken and gentle, a strike contrast to Sojung who was knight commander both in name and in appearance. She was very welcoming the first time she saw Yerin and was excited when she found out that Yerin’s a princess, it was adorable to say the least, and she wouldn’t mind having a little sister like Yewon if she was given the chance.

 

Yewon had taken good care of her that night, asking her almost every second if there was anything she needed and made sure that she was comfortable as if she was in the castle. If anything, Yerin thought that Yewon has all the maids of their kingdom beat when it came to being hospitable.

 

She had been offered the spare room in the upper floor of the home, and so after fixing herself up, she descended the stairs only to see Yewon in the kitchen preparing breakfast.

 

“Your highness, you’re up early. I’m sorry… I’m just about to prepare breakfast.” Yewon greeted.


“You can just call me Yerin.” the princess insisted, “And I came down to see if you needed any help?”

 

“I’m fine here, your—I mean, Yerin.” she smiled, “Ah, but my sister and Yuna came over with your things… I planned to bring them up to your room after preparing breakfast.”

 

“You can just let me handle those.” Yerin told her, walking over to her things that were in the living room before heaving out a sigh, “They didn’t have to bring the entire castle with them though…”

 

Yewon let out a chuckle at the princess’s remark, “I assumed that you always had this many things with you…”

 

“Goodness, no, this is just too much to carry just for myself.” Yerin wore an unreadable face as she approached and began to rummage through her things, “I pity the horses that had to carry these all the way here.”

 

“I’m sure they find it a big honor if it’s for her highness.”

 

Yerin turned to her with a playful glare, “I hope you can call me Yerin from now on. As of last night, I’m a mere guest imposing on you for the following days.”

 

“Please don’t say that. If anything, I appreciate your presence here, Yerin.” she replied, “My sister is almost always away, Sinb can’t come here without my sister and Eunha is currently away…”

 

Yerin tilted her head to the side, “Eunha?”

 

“Oh, she’s my neighbor.” she answered, gesturing to the house not far from theirs, “She would accompany me whenever my sister is away, but she had to go somewhere unfortunately, so I’ve been alone here for the past days. Your timing is perfect, if anyone were to ask me.”

 

“I’ll try not to be too much of a burdensome companion then.” Yerin remarked, beginning to carry her things up to her room. Yewon stared in amazement at how she carried over most of her things with utmost ease, as if she’s done it all her life.

 

“Do you have anything to do today, Yewon?” Yerin asked while they were having breakfast.

 

Yewon thought about it for a moment before shaking her head, “Besides a trip to the market perhaps? Oh, would you like a tour then Yerin?”

 

“If you would?”

 

“Of course!” Yewon agreed eagerly.

 

“I want to go too!” a voice from outside the window suddenly spoke up and when they turned, Sinb was there, peeking her head in with a cloak and a hood covering her entire figure, Sojung was nowhere to be seen.

 

“Sinb…” Yerin stared.

 

Perhaps she might have stared for a bit too long, but it was her first time seeing Sinb’s face clearly in contrast to her view of her through the dim light of fire the previous night. Now that she can see her in a better light, she realizes that the young woman is more than deserving of her title as the kingdom’s princess.

 

“Did you run away again Sinb?” Yewon asked tiredly, taking Yerin out of her thoughts for a moment.

 

“It’s too boring inside the castle.” the princess grumbled, frowning at the thought of being enclosed within the tall castle walls with her movements being watched day and night.

 

“You should have brought my sister with you at least.”

 

“Your sister’s currently busy.” Sinb remarked before eyeing the breakfast on the table, “That looks delicious…”

 

“Would you like to join us?” Yerin asked, her fellow princess answering her with an eager nod. She was soon joining them on the dining table not a moment after and was praising the food without noticing how Yerin was hiding her face more and more as she listened to Sinb’s words.

 

“Did you learn new dishes Yewon?” Sinb asked while munching happily.

 

“Yerin made it.”

 

Sinb was surprised, turning to the princess who just smiled sheepishly in return.

 

“It must be a surprise for you.” Yerin remarked, seeing her dumbfounded expression.

 

“But… don’t you have maids to cook for you?”
 

“We do. But before my father became a king, he was part of the townsfolk.” she replied, “Him and my mother often met in secret and had me, and so I lived as a normal citizen for a while, living a life like Yewon until my grandfather discovered their secret and had my father take responsibility and trained him to rule the kingdom.”

 

Sinb leaned forward, interestedly listening to the rest of Yerin’s story. How she had accompanied her father in hunting once in a while and living in the woods for days until they had food to eat, how Yerin was the one who did the chores at home and if anything, the shift from being a normal citizen to a princess was a change she still hasn’t gotten used to.

 

“And so once in a while I would venture out, and my father understands so he lets me be, but nowadays I’m not allowed to leave without Yuna by my side and so it’s the reason why he isn’t looking for me the previous night.”

 

“Because Yuna was with you.” Sinb surmised, earning a nod from the Knospian princess.

 

The younger princess whined, “I wish I had that much freedom. My father wouldn’t let me go anywhere farther than a foot away from the castle.”

 

“But he lets you out if Sojung is with you.” Yerin remarked.

 

“Sojung reprimands me as much as my father does so it’s not the same.” she grumbled, “I haven’t even seen half of the town yet. Sojung and my parents keep on saying it’s too dangerous.”

 

“Well, if it makes you feel any better, I haven’t ventured much of my own kingdom’s town ever since I became a princess.” Yerin told her with a laugh, “But nevertheless, if you plan to accompany us Sinb, I’d be more assured if Sojung was with us. My face in not familiar in this kingdom and so I don’t think the citizens would pay much attention to me—“

 

“Of course they will.” Sinb interrupted, looking up at her.

 

“Pardon?”

 

“There’s no way they won’t notice you.” Sinb reiterated, “You’re too beautiful not to notice. If anything, I’m sure you would turn heads just with your presence.”

 

Yerin blinked, feeling a blush beginning to cover her cheeks at the sudden innocent praise. She’s gotten used to being called that by many, of course, but that was because she is a princess and it’s almost a requirement for them to speak to her with praise, but Sinb’s words were sincere and she understood that the words she spoke were her honest thoughts.

 

“T-Thank you…” Yerin mumbled bashfully.

 

Yewon just chuckled silently watching the interaction between the two before deciding to speak up, “Regardless, if we were to go to town, I’d prefer having either Yuna or my sister with us and I agree with Sinb, you will surely attract attention as well Yerin.”

 

Yerin honestly didn’t think that she needed any protection, but the two were quite insistent on it so she could only comply, given that she was the visitor of the place. Luckily, Sojung arrived just a few minutes later with Yuna in tow, giving Sinb a glare the moment the princess was within her sights.

 

The Blume Knight Commander placed a tense hand on Sinb’s shoulder, forcing a smile on her lips as she spoke, “It seems a lecture is in order, your highness?”

 

The three could only watch with pity as she was dragged away against her will to receive her punishment for running away from the castle without permission.

 

“Did you get your things settled, your highness?” Yuna asked.

 

Yerin nodded, “You didn’t have to bring all of them though…”

 

“I didn’t know exactly what you needed so I just brought everything with me.”

 

“It must have been hard work, thank you.” Yerin said with gratitude, “Anyway, never mind that, are you free for today?”

 

Yuna could only stare back at the excited look the princess was giving her.

 

Once she was given a proper explanation of their plans for that day, Yuna nodded in compliance, after all she was there to keep Yerin safe as this was not her kingdom and so she didn’t have to do her usual duty in training the newly appointed knights. Her only task is to keep the princess away from harm and that includes being by her side wherever she went.

 

“Let me go too!” Sinb suddenly joined the conversation, finally free from the grasp of her captor.

 

“No.” Sojung told her.

 

“I don’t see why not.” Yewon told her sister.

 

“You know why Yewon…”

 

“I would agree if it’s just the two of you but she has four other responsible people with her, so it shouldn’t be too bad.” Yewon reasoned.

 

“That makes me the irresponsible one, doesn’t it?” Sinb asked but was ignored by the two siblings who were having a deep conversation about letting Sinb join the tour but it was becoming visible that Sojung was slowly losing to the younger. It was only a matter of time before she finally surrendered and let Sinb roam around with them.

 

“But I will be coming along with you. Yuna is a great knight, but I can sense that Princess Yerin is already a handful on her own.” Sojung turned to her fellow knight who nodded her head sagely.

 

“She usually goes off alone the moment I take my eyes of her.” Yuna sighed tiredly.

 

“That’s not my fault!” Yerin protested.

 

“Now, now,” Yewon told the group, “If we want to finish this tour by today, I suggest we set the conflicts aside for now and leave before the town gets too crowded. “

 

The rest agreed in unison and after donning on cloaks for the two princesses to keep their identities hidden, Yewon led the group, a basket in hand while the knights stayed back to keep an eye on their surroundings. Yewon had told them they’ll be heading to the main square first as it is the main attraction of their town. She explained that it houses the statue that was a tribute to their kingdom’s founder, his queen and as well as his trusty knights, the King’s Guard, surrounding the both of them. Legend has it that the King had ran away with another kingdom’s princess and found this land, promising the princess a prosperous kingdom even larger than her former home. And so he went on adventures, made his name known and soon enough more people came to live in his land and under his rule, thus forming the kingdom of Blume.

 

“It’s a famous legend here in our home. Before you even learn to read and write, it’s the first story ever taught to anyone.” Yewon explained as they arrived at the square. The two princesses marvelled at the beauty and craftsmanship of the statue. One could almost feel the life spewing just at the presence their figures emitted. Their gazes then moved to the stalls that stood a distance away from the main attraction, and Yewon explained that the stalls offered some of the kingdom’s famous cuisines that couldn’t be found in any other place.

 

Of course the two had to try it.

 

Yewon then took them further places, and Sinb couldn’t believe that she was missing out on a lot of her own home. Years of being kept inside the castle and only being let out at night and dawn to train, she never had the chance to truly appreciate the wonders her kingdom offered. If not for the arrival of Yerin, she doubts she wouldn’t have experienced this now.

 

“Sinb.”

 

She turned her head upon hearing Yerin calling for her and saw the woman just a few feet from where she stood. Wondering what it was, she left the view that she was admiring and approached, asking what the matter was the moment she saw Yerin’s worried look.

 

“Is there a problem?” Sinb asked, watching the other princess looking around.

 

“It seems they’ve somehow gone ahead without us.” Yerin told her once she was sure that the presence of their companions had somehow disappeared. Hearing that, Sinb looked around as well and true enough, the tall familiar figures of the nights and her friend were nowhere to be seen.

 

“But I thought they were supposed to be escorting us…?” Sinb mumbled to herself, wondering when and how they got separated.

 

“I heard Yewon mention that she was heading to the market to buy tonight’s dinner.” Yerin explained, “And I couldn’t remember what happened after.”

 

Sinb looked around once more, “Looks like we’re on our own then… Our best choice right now is to go back home and wait for them there.”

 

“I agree.” Yerin nodded before falling silent, “But then again…”

“Hm?”

 

“We don’t get any opportunity like this, do we?” Yerin asked, a mischievous smile beginning to form on her face as she continued, “Let’s go.”

 

“Go where?” Sinb asked, already following Yerin as she began to walk away.

 

“Anywhere? It’s not fun when you already know where you’re going.” she replied, “Sometimes, it’s best to go wherever and be taken by surprise by the things you discover on the way. Let’s go on an adventure.”