Poor Girl (trying out)

Subverting Expectations
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

a/n: This happened the same time as chapter 1, just different povs. 

 

"Hyewon-ah, it's time to wake up for school! You don't want to be late on your first day~" Hyewon just groaned but eventually got up and prepared for her first day. She fixed all her things and proceeded to make her morning meal, a simple meal of scrambled eggs, bacon and some toast. It was heaven for her. After that she did her morning routine and then went out to go to her first day in university. 

 

"Bye mom- right..." Hyewon just sighed deeply as the memories came rushing in. Visions of her mom and dad being sent to the hospital since a very drunk and irresponsible man drifted his car towards the other lane, colliding with their car. 

Flashback: 

"We finally gave our Hyewonie the life she deserves; new house, new school, new life~" A woman said while her husband was driving on the rainy highway. "I know right, our little girl deserves the world! Am I right, Jihyo-yah?" The man said, kissing the forehead of his wife. "You already know the answer, Euigon-ah" Jihyo said, giving her husband a kiss on the cheek. 

They continued their journey until the rain fell harder resulting in almost zero-visibilty but luckily, Euigon is a skilled driver and easily maneuvered through the storm. What's not lucky was the car drifting towards their direction, colliding with the car of the couple. Hyewon, who was just at home preparing for her transition from high school to college, got a text from her aunt Nayeon late at night. 

 

 

N: Hyewon-ah, where are you 

H: At home, auntie. Why, what happened?

N: Its your parents... Hyewon-ah they're at the hospital. I'm with your Aunt Jeongyeon right now and Yujin will come there to keep you company ok? 

H: Will they be alright? 

N: Just pray, Hyewon-ah.... It's all we can do. 

 

 

After the conversation, Hyewon fell to her knees and cried. She just got adopted by the Kangs a few months ago and she's afraid she'll lose them just as fast. As she was crying the doorbell rang and a voice came with it. 

"Hyewon-unnie! Open up! It's Yujin, your favorite cousin~" Hyewon didn't open the door just yet since she was still recovering from her crying session but the doorbell kept ringing along with an annoyed Yujin. "Yah, Kwangbae! Open up, it's raining outside and it's cold!" Yujin was about to ring the bell again but the door opened showing an emotionless Hyewon, trying her best not to show that she cried beforehand. 

Yujin came in the house and instead of playing games with Hyewon, she sat her down the couch and looked her in the eye. Hyewon was nervous since she didn't want to bother her cousin with her problems but since they were as close as siblings, Yujin saw right through her. Yujin hugged her cousin which shocked the latter at first but then teared up when she heard her cousin whisper in to her ear while caressing her back.

 

"It's ok, unnie. Just let it out... I'm here for you." Hyewon cried her heart out when she heard those words from Yujin. "I'm lucky to have you Yujin-ah..."

 

The day after the two rushed to the hospital, hoping to see Jihyo and Euigon healthy and smilling... it was the opposite. 

"Eomma... Appa..." Hyewon fell to her knees when she saw what looks to be two bodies covered in a white cloth, knowing fully that the bodies were of her parents. "You promised me that you will never leave me... just like the people who sent me away... but... there is nothing I can do. I can't just keep myself in this darkness... I have to be strong for me, for us. Thank you, eomma and appa. Thank you for letting me feel the love and warmth of a family. I'll never forget you... goodbye and rest in peace." 

After speaking to her parents, she saw her aunts and cousin looking at her, worry shown on their faces. She immediately ran towards them, crying her heart out again as they engulfed her in a hug. 

 

 

"You can live with us if you want. We can take one more person in our little family, if that's ok with you." Nayeon said while looking at the poor girl in front of her parents' graves. "Thank you for the offer, auntie but I can handle myself. Eomma and Appa worked real hard to get me to where I am so I don't want to waste any of it. I'll try to be independent, use the money they saved up for my studies, and make them proud." Hyewon said as they went back home. 

 

Flashback end

Hyewon arrived at the front of her university, Swing University. She didn't know that her parents enrolled her in the most prestigious school in all of Seoul. Yes, she was smart (Ranked 1st in her previous school), she was surprisingly athletic (Played varsity Badminton in her previous school), and she wasn't well of but her parents had enough money sved up for her future (aside from the tuition they paid). 

The first thing she felt? Loneliness. She saw that the students were very close to each other since she thought that they knew each other for a long time. She saw many groups of people who appeared to all be friends with each other. She also noticed that some of the students had more than a friendship. She looked like a lost kid around them.

Many people kept looking at her as she passed by the corridors, trying to find her class. She heard the murmurs of the students, something about why is there a new kid when it's been a few days since the start of the year but she didn't mind any of it. She finally reached her class thanks to the friendly janitor who led her to the room. She knocked and the teacher went outside to see who interrupted

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter