Chapter 8

A Crisis in Spring
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter synopsis: Something that needs to be done, gets done.

 

//

 

The other night, Bomi had to turn her desk lamp on because she couldn’t sleep in the dark. She has a massive fear of the dark and the only reason she could sleep with just the moonlight shining through the window was because she knew Chorong was there with her. So when she learned that Chorong wasn’t coming back to sleep, she just couldn’t get through the night without it. Back home, Chorong used to sleep with a night lamp, but just like Bomi, she didn’t need it anymore because she knew she wasn’t alone; because Bomi made her feel safe. The two best friends have always been reliant on each other, in ways that they might not even be aware of.

 

But for now, Chorong was relying on someone else.

 

“Sorry but I’m breaking up with you,” Chorong says.

 

“That’s all you’re gonna say?!” Eunji almost exclaims.

 

“Well, what else can I say? I’m trying to break up with him, aren’t I?” Chorong defends herself like a child being wrongly accused of something. They were in Eunji’s room after a student council meeting because Chorong said she needed help with the Changsub situation.

 

“You could make it sound nicer, I guess,” Eunji shrugs, she hasn’t entirely wrapped her head around the idea that she was helping out in the planning of Chorong’s break up with Changsub. What a strange situation she never would’ve expected herself to be in.

 

“Okay, so like... you were good to me, that sort of thing?” Chorong tries.

 

“Mhm,” Eunji hums, nodding her head in agreement, “Try to let him off easy, yknow?”

 

“Yeah, I want to,” Chorong sighs. Breaking up was hard, even harder for her because she’s the one initiating it. Changsub was her first boyfriend and they had a good long run while it lasted. If all those months ago, you told Chorong that she would break up with Changsub one day, she would’ve laughed in disbelief. Now that she was in this very sticky situation, she could barely laugh at all.

 

“You would think that as the president of class and student council, I’d be better at handling tough situations,” Chorong half-jokes, attempting to lighten up the mood with some humour. It works, kind of, because Eunji chuckles and gives an apologetic smile.

 

“Don’t beat yourself up about it, this is in no way a situation you could have prepared for,” Eunji gives a pat on Chorong’s arm.

 

//

 

Things with Chorong and Bomi have been fine to say the least. They’ve definitely had better days where they’re happier and less elephant-in-the-room-y. The words they exchange in the room now are limited to facts and statements like “I’m going for class now” and “I’m heading to the library”. Chorong tells herself it’s good enough that they’re still talking, even if it’s minimal, at least they didn’t go with the silent treatment.

 

Bomi spends a lot of time in Naeun’s room, but that isn’t news to anyone. Bomi has also found that contrary to her fear, Naeun is a lot more even minded and understanding about the unexplained feud Chorong has with her.

 

“Hey Naeunie, I’m sorry you have to put up with all the Chorong gives you,” Bomi reaches up to tuck some dark hair behind Naeun’s ear, and a smile shows itself on the latter’s face.

 

“It’s okay, as long as I still have you,” The younger says and this time, it’s Bomi’s turn to smile. As quiet and disinterested Naeun usually seemed to the student body, she was different with Bomi. Bomi saw colours of Naeun that other students wouldn’t get to witness, and the knowledge of that made her feel very special. Bomi has grown very fond of the warmth in the art student.

 

“I just don’t know what she wants,” Bomi groans as she stands in the doorway, with Naeun’s hand on the door. She had brought up the situation with Chorong to get it off her mind, and who else to talk to besides your beloved partner, right? Well, Bomi didn’t know any better.

 

“Anyways, I should get going, I’ll text you!” Bomi leans forward and kisses Naeun. They capture each other’s lips with their own for a slow three seconds before they pull away. Bomi gives a quick peck to Naeun’s pink lips once more and winks before walking away. She had a class to get to and if she allowed another slow kiss, she probably wouldn’t make it to class at all.

 

Bomi said she didn’t know what Chorong wanted, but Naeun did. She wants you, Naeun thinks as she closes the door with a click. She needed Bomi to stay oblivious, to stay unaware of what exactly Chorong wanted. Naeun grew up in the city where she’s had to pick up on social cues and learn to read people’s expressions. She’s seen the look in Chorong’s eyes when she so much as holds onto Bomi’s arm, like Naeun was stepping into her territory and taking what Chorong felt was hers. It’s almost comical how Bomi doesn’t see it, and Naeun doesn’t know how Bomi can be this blind to Chorong’s feelings, but she’s almost glad for it.

 

This was becoming an all too common case of best friend versus lover, but advanced, and Naeun wasn’t ready for Bomi to have to choose yet - not when Naeun’s victory wasn’t even guaranteed. As much as she hates to admit it, Naeun knows that Chorong has a hold on Bomi, and if it ever came down to choosing between the two girls, Naeun wouldn’t be the most confident soldier in that battle. Which is why Naeun hopes Bomi stays in the dark about it for as long as Naeun can grow onto her. A little evil, maybe, but sometimes we do questionable things when we’re in love.

 

//

 

Midterms are over and Chorong has never been this relieved about it. Now she has time to really think and thoroughly sort out every aspect of her life. But then another problem arises - where exactly does she start? Does she break up with Changsub first? Is that even something she truly wants to do?

 

No. It was something she needed to do.

 

Chorong has always had good sense and judgement, and she trusts herself. So when her mind settles on the thought that breaking up with Changsub was a necessary move she had to make, she just knew she had to do it. Now that they were done with midterms, Chorong has the time to talk to him, to really talk to him. No lies or excuses or backing out, or at least she hopes. She’ll have to do it soon too if she wants to stop lying to herself.

 

//

 

“There’s a post-midterms party next week, are you coming?” Yongsun takes her seat next to the class president.

 

It was a good question, should Chorong go to the party? She has to deal with Changsub first though, and she doesn’t know when exactly that’ll happen, so she gives an unconfirmed answer, “Oh, I’m not sure yet.”

 

Chorong looks at Yongsun like she wants to say something but stops right before words can leave and she turns to face the front again. They were in class a little early so the teacher wasn’t there yet, and Chorong wanted advice from Yongsun again. Her desk mate was probably her best option to get relationship advice from, so Chorong figures, if not Yongsun, then who?

 

“Hey uhm, I’d like to know your opinion on something,” Chorong gets Yongsun’s attention and the latter leans back in her chair and faces Chorong. Her eyebrows rise

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter