Chapter 11

A Crisis in Spring
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: first of all, I just wanna say that I'm so sorry this update took so long, I know how it having to wait and wait and some of you may have even forgotten or given up on this story (and I don't blame you!) between the last chapter and this one, a whole lot has happened in my life and I just didn't have the time, brain power, or motivation to write. but I'm getting a better grasp at life recently so here's the update I've made you wait too long for! thank you if you're reading this, and just know no matter how long it takes, I won't leave this fic unfinished (that's a promise!)
 

//

 

“Are you gonna finish that?” Bomi asks, pointing at the last dumpling on the plate.

 

“No, you can have it,” Chorong replies, then she looks around, quietly taking in the environment.

 

The lamps hanging from the top glow in the dim pop-up tent. Chorong takes in the warmth of the lamps and hears the clatter of dishes. A gush of wind from outside causes the opening in the tent to flap, allowing some of the cool air to enter. Chorong had placed her chopsticks down on the table a couple minutes ago, but her eyes fall to them again once she’s done observing the place. They’re wooden disposable chopsticks, like the ones Bomi likes to use in the room because she’s lazy to wash the metal ones like Chorong does. Everything connects to Bomi, there isn’t a day Chorong could go without the younger girl popping up in her train of thought.

 

It’s only been a few days since the carnival, and in that time, the two best friends have found their ways back to each other once again. On the other hand, Naeun hasn’t found what to do with the newfound reality she had a peek into that other night.

 

Tonight, Chorong and Bomi had gone out to look for dinner and chanced upon a little pop-up dumpling shop. And no, Chorong hasn’t forgotten about her jumbled-up feelings for Bomi – how could she?

 

Bomi, on the other hand, hasn’t even acknowledged the way looking at Chorong makes her feel. Doesn’t even try to understand or investigate the butterflies she felt that night with the fireworks in the sky.

 

They lazily walk back to their dorm, holding hands because that’s supposed to be normal for them. Neither of them says anything on the walk back, simply because there isn’t a need to. Well, besides when Chorong says the moon “looks really bright tonight,” and Bomi thinks of how Chorong shines brighter.

 

//

 

“So, do you think they know yet?” Byulyi asks as she watches Yongsun unroll her candyfloss pink yoga mat onto the floor of their room.

 

“Who knows what? Context, Byul,” Yongsun pats and smoothens the mat out.

 

“Chorong and Bomi. Do you think they... you know, know?” Byulyi raises her eyebrows and chuckles with her lop-sided smile, it’s pretty funny to think about.

 

“Ah… I doubt so. What’s the last you’ve heard from Bomi?”

 

“She’s going on a movie date with Naeun this Friday.”

 

“Oh, what movie?” Yongsun says while preparing to do lunges.

 

“Godzilla versus Kong,” Byulyi says nodding with pride because she chose the movie with Bomi in Math class today.

 

Yongsun stands up from a lunge and tilts her head in question. “She’s bringing Naeun to watch Godzilla?” A deadpan expression paints her face.

 

“And Kong,” Byulyi corrects innocently, missing the older girl’s point entirely.

 

“How romantic,” Yongsun deadpans and shakes her head before continuing her exercise.

 

//

 

In another room, Chorong opens her cupboard to retrieve a clean and ironed student council blazer. She checks the navy blue garment to ensure every button is tightly sewed on and no stains are seen. Being President to Chorong means she can never be caught slacking, and it’s no less when it comes to attire. (Not that she ever had this blazer in any less-than-perfect condition.) The blazer was only used at official school events or ceremonies, like the one she was preparing the blazer for; three days in advance of course, because what is she - unprepared? Never.

 

Well, maybe there are things she could never be prepared for; things she’s never imagined she would even have to prepare for. Things like…

 

“Oh, this Friday evening? I can’t, I’m catching a movie with Naeun,” is what Bomi says when Chorong tells her about the Mid-Terms Awards Ceremony. It’s a short and simple one, and all she has to do is accompany the principal in handing out certificates to the top scorers on stage as usual, but Bomi has always been somewhere in the crowd, and this time she won’t?

 

Like Chorong has been to every baseball game to support Bomi from the bleachers, Bomi has always made an effort to go to what she calls “boring nerd events” to keep Chorong company. Sure, most of the time, Chorong is somewhere doing her President duties like on stage or ushering guests around the hall, and Bomi can only watch from the seats, but being there to see Chorong was enough reason for her to go.

 

She was only there for that one reason anyway.

 

Bomi always stuck out like a sore thumb at those events too. Her ed collar, rolled up sleeves, and sometimes the occasional baseball cap clearly gave away that she wasn’t there to receive any award. The absence of a navy blue blazer also stated that she wasn’t there as a council member to help out either, but she never cared that she didn’t look like she belonged.

 

Chorong could always count on her to have a face in the crowd she could look for. Although, a lot of times, the faces Bomi makes are terrifyingly ugly because she’s trying to make the President laugh while on stage. Chorong has only almost lost her composure this one time Bomi imitated a gorilla while staying seated. The stifled giggle did earn Chorong a look from the principal standing beside her, but at least there was never a dull moment when Bomi was there.

 

Which is why Chorong whips around to look at Bomi who’s lying on her bed, watching a video on her phone. Bomi doesn’t even seem apologetic that she won’t be attending the event, but then again, it’s not like she has to, Chorong reasons.

 

Bomi just doesn’t know any better yet.

 

“Oh okay, have fun then,” Chorong says, failing to avoid the crestfallen feeling as she turns back to look at what she’s holding by a hanger. She tells herself this is just a mild setback, nothing too huge, and that she’s okay with imperfections. Then, like the Universe is playing tricks on her, she spots a loose thread poking out from the hem of her blazer, mocking Chorong to trim the flaw off.

 

At least it’s something she can fix.

 

//

 

The days leading up to Friday go by quicker than Chorong feels they should, and now she’s standing in the air-conditioned hall, greeting students and teachers that enter. The hall is big, spacious, and has a very high ceiling. The double doors are glass with the school crest in the centre, cut down the middle so each door has one half.

 

Eunji, also dressed in the same blazer, walks up to Chorong and taps her on the shoulder. “Hey, you,” Eunji smiles with her eyes turning into crescents. Vice-president Eunji isn’t at every event like Chorong, but she was needed for this one to help read the names of the students to come on stage to receive their certificate.

 

Chorong tears her eyes away from the doors. “Eunji, hey! Haven’t seen you since the carnival.” Chorong might not know it, but maybe the reason she’s been so distant and rigid the past hour or so is because there’s only one person she wishes to see walk in.

 

“Yeah, how are you?” Eunji wants to ask how things are with Chorong and Bomi but she doesn’t really want to pry, especially right before they’re needed on stage. “I’m uhh,” Chorong glances quickly at the doors before looking at Eunji again, “I’m okay?” Chorong says uncertainly, almost sounding like she was asking herself. Catching the hint of doubt in that response, Eunji squints at Chorong, she might have to ask again after the event is over.

 

With a clear line of sight from the stage to the glass doors, Chorong couldn’t help but keep her eyes focused on them, only glancing away each time she had to pick up a certificate from the table beside her. After about thirty names called individually, thirty students walking up, thirty pictures taken with the principal, her eyes grew tired of the never-changing sight, the doors that didn’t open, the outside breeze that couldn’t come in. Chorong wonders if Bomi has even thought about her or this ceremony today when Eunji’s voice, or more like the name she calls, snaps Chorong back to reality.

 

“Seo Eunkwang,” Eunji reads from the list and into the microphone. Eunkwang’s here?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter