Chapter 5

A Crisis in Spring
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter synopsis: In this chapter, everyone seems to have questions, but the real question is, will Chorong accept the answer she’s looking for? 

 

//

 

It’s been over a week since the Baseball League finals, and Eunji hasn’t continued her unfinished conversation with Chorong. She decided to wait – for what exactly, Eunji wasn’t sure. The class vice-president decided to sit back and observe the older girl more. Eunji, however, wasn’t the only one with eyes.

 

Hayoung waited for her game screen to load. It’s Saturday, which means she can spend time playing games at her desk without worrying about being late for class. She had brought her desktop computer to the dorm when she first moved in. At the time, Namjoo just figured huh, she’s a gamer, and not, huh, she’s the love of my life. Funny how life can change so much in ways you wouldn’t expect. Namjoo had just gotten out of the shower, her hair wrapped in a towel and her body clothed in just undergarments – a matching purple set, Hayoung notes as her eyes follow the moist exposed skin, her body turning like a machine as Namjoo walked to the cupboard to get her clothes. She sees Hayoung through the mirror and snorts, “Stop staring, you .”

 

“You like it when I watch,” Hayoung smirks before turning back to her screen. Namjoo rolls her eyes, she had no words to defend herself anyways, Hayoung wasn’t entirely wrong. They were in their room and it was just the two of them. Namjoo and Hayoung fit like two perfect pieces of a puzzle, they were extremely comfortable with one another both mentally and physically, and their relationship was built with an incredibly strong foundation of trust. It’s because Namjoo trusts Hayoung so much that she’s okay with Hayoung joking about being unfaithful. Well, also because it’s a known fact that Hayoung is too scared of her girlfriend to actually cheat on her so, whatever works. Like Bomi, you’d probably hear Namjoo before seeing her. Her character was comical, and she was very well-liked by students. Some would say her radiant smile is contagious and call her a walking ball of sunshine, the human “energizer”, if you will. With all that energy and joy, it made sense that Namjoo was the school’s Head Cheerleader.

 

“Joo, why do you think Chorong dislikes Naeun so much?” The thought had suddenly popped up in her mind and because the couple had no walls between them, random thoughts like this could be voiced out anytime. Being together created a safe space for both of them, a personal shared space where there would never be any judgement. And Hayoung hasn’t been blind the entire time, she’s seen what looks like Chorong shooting laser beams at Naeun’s head with her glaring orbs.

 

“Isn’t it obvious? She’s jealous,” Namjoo shrugs like this was the most apparent thing but Hayoung can only frown, more confused now than before she asked the question. “Why would she be jealous?” Hayoung asked with her eyes still glued to her screen, looking for enemies to shoot. If gaming had any benefit on Hayoung, it was increasing her ability to multi-task.

 

“Because she’s in love with Bomi,” Namjoo pulls her sweatpants up to her waist and ties the drawstrings.

 

“WHAT?!” Hayoung whips around in her seat, completely forgetting about her game. Her eyes were wide, jaw dropped, and she stayed still, staring at Namjoo for an elaboration.

 

“What?” Namjoo repeats back at Hayoung but in a more composed manner.

 

“What do you mean Chorong’s in love with Bomi? We’re talking about the same person, right?”

 

“Have you not seen the way Chorong looks at Bomi? It’s how we look at each other. That girl definitely has some kind of feelings for Bomi, even if it isn’t love, it’s getting there.” Namjoo plops down onto her bed. “I thought it was obvious, I’m just waiting for her to figure it out,” she shrugs again before lying on her back.

 

Hayoung turned back to face her screen, still agape. Her character had gotten killed and was waiting to be respawned, but she had a more pressing matter in her head right now. Hayoung blinked at her screen and asked another question before clicking to respawn her character, “Are you sure, Joo?”

 

“Well, it’s just what I think, but you could start seeing for yourself, we have that picnic tomorrow, remember?”

 

Hayoung hums in response then spends the next few moments thinking to herself. Namjoo’s theory made sense, even though she had never really seen Chorong as anything but, well, straight. Speaking of which, if what Namjoo speculates is true, what about Changsub? Hayoung was sure Chorong loved him with her whole heart and soul. She couldn’t even begin to fathom that Chorong would emotionally cheat on her boyfriend like that, and with a girl?

 

It just wasn’t Chorong.

 

“Wait- then what about Bomi?” Hayoung’s curiosity was piqued and now that Namjoo offered her own insight, it got Hayoung thinking a lot more.

 

“Hmm,” Namjoo put her phone down and looked up at the ceiling as she wondered, “There was a time I thought Bomi was head over heels for Chorong, but I’m not sure what happened. It kind of just disappeared, almost like her feelings faded away.”

 

“What if they faded but never truly disappeared?” With her curiosity piqued, her brain started churning and Hayoung was now asking the right questions. This time it’s Namjoo’s turn to hum in response as she let the thought sink in.

 

//

 

It’s Sunday and the girls are all excited for the picnic. Naeun had reluctantly agreed to let Bomi go without her, so she could spend some quality time with her friends since she’s been rather occupied with Naeun.

 

The five girls felt the breeze on their faces as they looked for a cozy spot to settle down. It was bustling by the Han river today, with people all over the grass. Chorong looks around her and sees a group of friends playing frisbee, and a couple with a cute white Maltese on a leash. They found an empty spot and started setting up their stuff. Once all the takeout food was arranged nicely onto the mat, they all sat around the food. Out of habit and familiarity, they sat down like how they would at a table, but more circular. Chorong was between Bomi and Eunji, and Hayoung and Namjoo were side by side. The wind makes Bomi run a hand through her hair and Chorong feels her heart falter for a split second. Was she low on sugar or something?

 

The food platter was splendid, there was kimbap, tteokbokki, dakbal, and chicken wings. While eating, Bomi uses her chopsticks and places a piece of dakbal onto Chorong’s plate, her favourite. Hayoung watches carefully, her head lowered as if she was focused on the food on her own plate, but she swears she sees Chorong’s cheeks tur

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter