BROKENHEARTED

THE PLAYLIST
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[IMPORTANT]: PLEASE LISTEN TO BROKENHEARTED - BRANDY FIRST BEFORE READING THE STORY

(much better if you listen to it on repeat)


Pride and selfishness: These have no room in relationships. They are like ropes that bind you; Restrict you from growing into a better person and constraint you from walking in your partner's shoes. They stop you from understanding others and tie you down with problems that never should have existed, troubles that only your mind created. Pride and selfishness... don't let it get a hold of you, or else you will find yourself tied on the opposite side of the pole. The more you move, the more the rope tightens; so close to each other yet can't hold one another.  

 

Only brokenhearted, life’s not over
I can start again

 

“Ah, hyung!” The tall, handsome man called. He ran towards the person waiting for him under the shade of the old oak tree near the café they’re supposed to meet.

 

Finally. Wonwoo sighed. He had already lectured the younger about being punctual yet it looks like he wasn’t listening at all. How can he fix this bad habit of his? 

 

while I’m lonely, broken hearted
it’s a hurting thing to get over

 

"Did you wait too long?” He caught his breath. The man had his body bent, hands on his knees. Mingyu looked up to the other with one eye, sweat has formed on his forehead.

 

I’m young but I’m wise enough to know
that you don’t fall in love over night

 

Wonwoo looked away to ease the loud pounding of his heart. How could this guy look so beautiful even with his messed-up hair and sweaty face? The man felt a little jealous. He rolled his eyes and pretended to be annoyed. “For more than 30 minutes. Learn to respect other people’s time, Mingyu. Not everyone will wait for you.”

 

that’s why I thought if I took my time
that everything in love would be right

 

“I’m sorry hyung! I really was stuck in traffic this time!” He rubbed his palm together as he asked for his hyung’s forgiveness. “I’ll treat you coffee, please don’t get mad anymore!”

 

but as soon as I close my eyes
I was saying to love goodbye

 

Wonwoo sighed. He’s been staring at the large window, watching the droplets of rain on the glass race down to the rail. How long has he been sitting there and reminiscing? He has no idea. When he raised his cup of coffee, he realized it had gone cold. The man chuckled to himself. “You’d be nagging me if you were here.”

 

but I guess Im only brokenhearted
life’s not over I can start again

 

Wonwoo stood from his seat and walked to the kitchen. The man poured the drink in the sink and made himself another cup. The mellow, English music playing on his phone kept retrieving bitter sweet memories.

 

while I’m lonely brokenhearted
it’s a hurtin things to get over

 

“Hyung do you like children? I think we should adopt at least one when we get older.” Mingyu had his eyes closed as the other played with his hair. His head laying on the man’s lean thighs. “What do you think, hyung?”

 

The older man blinked excessively, he didn't know how to react. Hearing the man talk about a future together, he was surprised. Wonwoo felt his heart swell with joy when the younger opened his eyes; the lad was obviously worried by the lack of response. Wonwoo fought the urge to kiss him and instead he twirled a strand of the boy’s hair. “You’re too clumsy to be a father.”

 

no more empty conversation
next time I will be totally sure

 

“Then shall we get a pet dog first? If I can take good care of a dog, would you have kids with me then?”

 

“You’re a dog.” Wonwoo teased. Whenever the younger looks at him with his determined face, the older always thinks he resembles a puppy. “Where are you even getting these ideas?” The man’s imaginary dog ears folded and his tail had stopped wagging. “Comparing tending to a child to a dog… I’m---”

 

Wonwoo couldn’t finish his sentence when the other got up and pecked his lips. “I’m more responsible than you give me credit for, hyung!”

 

Wonwoo stared at the man’s sulking expression before coming back to his senses. Wonwoo smiled inwardly and lifted his hand, playfully flicking the younger’s forehead. “I prefer if we get cats.”

 

no one don't want the pain of falling
in and out of love

 

He knew he should have rejected the idea. He shouldn’t have let himself be talked into a relationship. They should have just stayed friends. He wishes he knew how to resist the tall man’s puppy eyes. The rascal was too persuasive. He might see the lad as an airhead but he sure isn’t better since he let himself get dragged around. Out of the two of them, he was the complete idiot.

 

so I listen to all advice
and remember the time I cry

 

When the younger lad confessed to him, he felt like he was floating in air. Until now he could still feel the softness of the man’s lips against his skin. Wonwoo chuckled to himself as the feeling of emptiness starts hunting him back. He really has gone mad. He knew they wouldn’t last, but still he let his heart lead him. Whatever he's going through now, it's all his fault.

 

but I guess I’m lonely, broken hearted
lifes not over, I can start again

 

Here he is, two years later, still in deep sorrow after their break up. Perhaps if he didn’t start an argument about the lad’s plans in studying abroad, they would have been in a better situation. Maybe if he didn’t act so selfish, if he didn’t ask the man to choose between him or his former lover’s dream, they’d still be together. How pathetic of him.

 

while I’m lonely broken hearted
it’s a hurting thing to get over

 

Wonwoo felt his heart tighten even more in his chest; his stinging eyes had dropped its first tear when he saw the brown mug with a dog print sitting on the cupboard. It’s the only item he forgot to return. He was so angry when Mingyu still flew abroad that he ignored the man’s calls and blocked him on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter