007

Reprieve

 

The weather is starting to get chilly and Areum can see the way the leaves sway with the wind. Yoongi told her to wear something that’s not intimidating, something rather casual so here she is with a white, silk blouse and a pair of jeans. He is seated beside her wearing a plain navy blue button-down top that accentuates his porcelain skin and she can’t help but stare at him.

The car ride is silent and Yoongi still hasn’t told her where they’re headed to. He just gave her a vague ‘somewhere you might like’ when she asked him before they left and as much as she’s hesitant to approach him, the unfamiliar road is messing with her curiosity. From how the place looks, it seems like they’re quite far from the city.

 

“You’re not planning to get rid of me in a foreign place, aren’t you?”

 

"Didn't expect to be caught like this.” He deadpans

 

She’s about to reply but the car comes to a complete stop and she notices that they’re in a different village. The houses are simple and there are children running around the streets, playing, suddenly stopping upon seeing their arrival. Their expressions fill with more excitement and energy as they run in their direction.

"Do me a favor and act like we're a happy couple, please." The prince whispers to her ear before stepping outside. He waits by the door, standing as he holds his hand out to her which she takes and it makes the people around them gasp in awe.

Yoongi moved his hand to the small of her back when a middle aged man approached them to shake their hand. "This is Minki, the head of this village. He's the one in contact with the palace."

"Pleased to meet you." Areum greets him with a smile and the head of the village returns the gesture before he turns to the young prince.

“It's been a while, your highness. We're glad to see you with the princess this time.” He is rather too friendly than usual and she thinks he’s really someone close to the royals. The man proceeds to lead them into the village headquarters and the first thing that catches her eye when they enter are the pictures hanging on the wall. Most of them are with the two princes, some are with the queen and there were many candid photos of Yoongi playing with the children, talking to the people, making it almost seem like he’s part of this place.

"This is a refuge village for the civilians displaced by the war. We took them out of the danger zone and gave them another chance to live a secure life." Yoongi finally explains and all of a sudden Areum is plagued by insecurity, making her clutch his hand a bit tighter because it feels as if it’s a place where she shouldn’t be in.

She leans a bit closer to the prince, seeking some kind of comfort, and as much as she is repulsed by the idea, she has no choice because he’s the only one here apart from the palace guards. "Do you think they'd hate me? I mean, I'd totally understand, considering I was from the country that made them suffer." She asks in a hushed voice.

"I don't think so but I don’t worry too much because I won’t let that happen.” He gives her a reassuring smile and squeezes at her hands lightly. “I came here almost every month back then and I've gotten pretty close to them. They're genuinely nice people.”

Lunch was served and the dining table got filled with pleasantries, catching up and the head of the village even asked her about her first impressions of Vhrea. It's pleasant and so far, there aren't any ill comments or backhanded remarks which makes Areum feel welcomed. It made her loosen up a bit.

 

"I'll show you around the place." Yoongi tells her when they stand up to leave the headquarters and Areum just follows him, walking with fingers interlaced as he gives her a mini tour of the village. She feels deeply touched when the people greet them with a respectful bow and a smile whenever they pass by them and she doesn’t know why she was expecting for things to go downhill, for someone to give a side eye or call her names. It’s actually a relief that none of those happened.

The walk is awfully quiet, Yoongi thinks. It isn’t a bad kind of quiet, not an uncomfortable one but he just wished that they had a little bit of something to talk about and it sinks into him that they barely have anything in common. Areum basically built walls around her right after the marriage and he couldn’t even blame her for it because if he only had a choice, he’d also choose to marry someone he loves, someone he knew so well but right now, he’s determined to climb those walls. There’s something about the princess that brings out the protectiveness in him. She makes him want to stay by her side and keep her from all the cruelty that life has to offer.

"Prince Yoongi!" His thoughts are interrupted when he hears a high pitched voice from a distance and when he turns around, he sees a group of five children running towards them. He crouches down to meet the kid’s height and the princess notices her husband's eyes soften. "Ah, Jihoo, long time no see. Looks like you've grown taller and stronger this time."

The young boy beams instantly. "Strong like you, your highness!"

Yoongi turns to her with a wide grin on his face and ushers her to come closer. "Kids, this is Princess Areum." He says, introducing her while holding her hand, making them squeal at the display of affection.

"I want you to treat her nicely, okay?" The prince squints his eyes at them playfully and they all nod enthusiastically. The little girl on the right has her eyes sparkling with pure wonder and excitement. "You found your happily ever after and your true love’s kiss! Like the one in the books!"

Areum chuckles at the innocence of the children. "Yes, like the one in the books." She prays it doesn’t come out bitter because she doesn’t want to crush the poor kid’s hopes and to her relief, the girl’s smile widens in delight.

“Will I find my happy ever after too?” She asks out of sheer curiosity and Yoongi looks at her fondly. “Of course you will but aren’t you too young for that?”

The little girl giggles. “When I’m big like you and Princess Areum, I will have my happy ever after right?”

The princess crouches down beside Yoongi to pat the girl’s hair and nods at her. “I’m sure all of you will find your own prince and princess and you will live happily ever after.” Their eyes are once again filled with awe, making her smile as well. She glances at Yoongi and sees him looking at the children with complete endearment and it’s so unusual to see him like this. He’s always teasing, always being smart with his replies, always so smug but right now he makes her feel all warm and safe. All the feelings she never felt when she’s with him.

“Now, as much as I want to spend more time with you, I still have to accompany Princess Areum around your village. I promise I’ll make it up to you.” Yoongi tells them and the boy named Jihoo raises his pinky finger. “Promise?”

“Promise.” He confirms and interlocks his own pinky with the little boy’s. Areum notices that Yoongi has a gummy smile, his eyes glimmer when he’s calm and his tone turns soft when he speaks to someone he's comfortable with. She doesn’t realize that she’s been looking at him for a short while until Jihoo shifts his attention to her, making her immediately look away from the prince, embarrassed at the thought that she’s been staring at him for quite some time.

“Princess Areum, you’ll come again with Prince Yoongi when he visits next time, right?” Jihoo asks her this time and she nods without hesitation. “Of course I will” and Yoongi is just too astonished by her reply. He wasn’t wrong to think that she’d like it here but he didn’t expect that she'd actually want to return and also didn’t expect to see such a tender gaze from her as she seals the promise with a pinky swear. Yoongi wants to see more of this side.

 

They eventually bid goodbye to the children and went back to their original plan of going around. The couple makes a left turn, leading them to a marketplace. It’s a busier street compared to the main road. There are more people, more chattering that goes loud as they walk further and this makes her insecurity return in increasing waves but Yoongi only pulls her closer to him.

The street has a wide variety of different shops. There are meat vendors, fruit stands, food stalls, clothing stores that create a small crowd and Areum is met with nothing but welcoming smiles and courteous bows. Her heart swells at the sincerity as she never felt a single hint of hatred towards her and Yoongi glances at her, happy to see her relaxed, seemingly free.

They enter the fanciest looking shop in this area and Areum can't help herself from looking at the glimmering gemstones, appreciating how each of them is uniquely crafted into a beautiful piece of jewelry. It’s not a surprise that they have it here. Besides, this was one of the reasons why the two countries have been on each other's necks for years, treasures, gold, and other precious resources that will surely aid their nation. She follows behind Yoongi and the woman behind the counter instantly lights up, nearly leaping in joy when she spots them.

"Your highness, finally!" She greets them with a gracious bow and Yoongi has this proud smile on his lips as he tugs the princess closer to him. "As promised, Miss Choi. This is Kim Areum, my dearest wife."

“I’m so pleased to finally meet you, your highness. The television doesn’t do you justice. You’re even more stunning and charming in person.” Areum turns sheepish at the compliment, smiling timidly as she sinks further into Yoongi’s hold. “Thank you. I’m pleased to meet you too.”

“You know, the tiara, the one I gave you on our wedding day, was personally crafted by Miss Choi. She’s one of the best jewelry makers I know and she’s also like a mother to me.” He explains and Areum now understands the closeness of the two. They must really have a special relationship for Yoongi to consider her someone who’s like his mother. “As much as I wanted her to attend the wedding, they didn’t allow commoners to be invited so I just promised her to bring you here once we’ve finally settled down.”

“It was so nice of you to do that, Miss Choi. I really loved that tiara. It reminded me of my hometown.” The princess utters with utmost sincerity, genuinely impressed and moved by how they are so accepting and welcoming, not even revolted by the idea of a previous enemy entering their country. It’s odd and surreal because, from experience, you can never let your guard down in any situation like this.

"You never told me that." Yoongi mutters beside her, sounding betrayed and quite whiny and Areum is so baffled by this shift in his persona. "Well, you never asked." She retorts as a matter of factly and Miss Choi only shakes her head at the short banter.

“Oh, princess, I had very little part to do in that. It was all Yoongi’s idea and I was just following all the details and intricacies he had in mind. He was actually pretty worried about what you would think of it and he was constantly asking what if you don't like it. He was so anxious but you know, that tiara really did look good on you.” The woman laughs at the fond memory and the prince complains about this. “She wasn’t supposed to know that, Miss Choi.”

She only laughs again before ushering them inside a small room that looks like an office and it feels more private, more intimate. "How have you been, Yoongi?" She asks the moment they’re seated.

Yoongi hums in thought. "Better, I guess? And married." He says with a chuckle.

"It’s nice that the two of you are really getting along." She comments as she spots their intertwined fingers and Areum feels heat creep up her cheeks, making her lightly flush. "But do the two of you really get along? Be honest, your highness, how's the prince been to you so far?" She asks with an arched eyebrow.

"Ah well, he's…" Areum spares him a thoughtful glance. "He's such a pain in the neck." She jests, plainly teasing, no insult intended and she laughs at the way Yoongi protests.

"I-I...Me? Really? Me?" He questions with wide eyes and incredulous.

"Didn't I tell you to be considerate to her? It takes a lot of adjusting for her as she's from another country and things must've been tough for her these days." She lectures him as gently as she can, still maintaining her respect and Areum doesn't miss the way Yoongi whines, his lower lip jutting out in a pout. Cute, the princess thinks. "But I really do try."

Miss Choi looks at her this time. "I hope you stay patient with him too. He becomes too ideal with his ideas sometimes and you know, he's been notorious for breaking a lot of royal protocols. One time he was all over the news for being close to commoners and how it was so unusual for a royal to be that way. He often comes here ranting about the ridiculous rules that keep him from being, you know–"

"From being human." Areum finishes for the lady and she nods. "Yes, from being human and our prince here always says that all we need is a bit of humanity in us to understand each other. It's just that sometimes he himself is bad at communicating how he feels. He's really bad with words." Yoongi protests once again at Miss Choi's last remark and she only ignores him, chuckling fondly.

"And princess, I really am grateful for this peace that the two of you brought. The war is traumatizing and exhausting and now, we can finally stop worrying about our family that's left in the war zone. The fighting really is so draining." Areum has heard these words countless times, from relatives, from friends, from higher ups and it never felt right. It always manages to piss her off but right now it doesn't because it feels so honest. It's gratitude that came from the heart. "I really am happy for the both of you. I do hope that the two of you will always treat each other with love and respect no matter how rough things may get."

The woman’s words render Areum speechless, nearly making her eyes well up with tears at how genuine she is. They soon leave the jewelry shop and walk further into the market. Yoongi’s hand never leaves hers, sticking by his words that he won’t let anything happen to her in this place. His presence is unchanging, making her feel undeniably safe as he guides her through the vibrant streets.

 

The two of them pass by a small flower shop and Yoongi easily spots the interest in her eyes so he tugs at her back to the stall, allowing her to admire the flowers outside the shop. She just couldn’t take her eyes off of the bouquet of blue hydrangeas. Areum reaches out and brushes her fingers against the delicate blue petals, soft against her touch, and it takes her back to a memory that she isn’t quite sure if she wants to remember.

“You like it?” His question startles her, making her quickly withdraw her hand and she shakes her head. “No, it’s fine. I just... find them pretty.”

Yoongi glances at her, contemplating his words but he says it anyway. “Reminds you of something?” Areum turns to face him this time, with an expression that he can’t quite read, and then she nods. Gone are her unbothered and intimidating facade because right now she looks so soft, so caring and the prince can tell that this is no longer an act.

He untangles their hands for the first time today and enters the small boutique. The sweet floral fragrance hits him immediately as he explores the store and the florist, seemingly of old age, approaches him with courtesy. “Are you picking something for the princess, your highness?”

“Ah, yes, but… I’m not quite sure what she likes.” He responds with a sheepish grin and the florist turns around to observe the princess from outside. “What about lavenders, your highness?”

It piques Yoongi’s interest when the elderly woman shows him a bunch of elongated purple-colored flowers with dark green stems wrapped in a bundle and its scent is strong but not that overwhelming and it has an underlying sweetness to it. “Lavenders represent serenity, calmness, and harmony. It shows devotion and elegance and it has the color of royalty as well. It suits the princess.”

The prince takes the suggestion into consideration, brushing his thumb against the petals. He knows why those blue hydrangeas caught Areum's attention. It's because those were the decorations during their wedding day and he knows for sure that it's a bitter memory for her and he wants to take her thoughts out of it.

“I’ll take this.” He says and watches the florist arrange the lavenders into a more presentable bouquet. A few pieces of baby’s breath are added to accentuate the elegant purple color before its stems are tied with rows of twine strings to hold them together. A pink lace ribbon is placed just above the twine for the final touches and the florist hands it to the prince with a smile.

Yoongi motions his palace guards to pay the elderly woman but she politely declines, telling him to consider it as a gift for their visit. Knowing him, he still insists on paying as it was their business and he doesn’t want to affect their sales, making the florist feel deeply moved by his kindness. She bids the prince well wishes and he gives her a grateful smile before leaving the shop.

The young prince approaches his wife, careful not to disrupt her moment of quiet. She looks up when she senses his presence and without a word, he gives her the bouquet, watching her as her eyes widen in surprise at the gesture. Yoongi finds it cute, the way she tries to suppress the smile forming at the corners of her lips as she accepts the flowers.

"They're so pretty." Areum breathes out, voice obviously too delighted. "Thank you."

"Glad you liked it." Yoongi mutters before taking her hand once again as they head back to the main road. The people hustling down the streets slow down to take a look at the royal couple, obviously still in awe, astonished at the way the two seem to be in their own little world.

The pair bid goodbye to the head of the village, thanking him for the accommodation before they take their leave and Areum waves at the residents with a pleased smile as their car drives away from the village.

 

It's only the two of them once again, enveloped with silence and walls, back to their roles and titles that keep them apart from everyone else and Areum gets why Yoongi loved this place. It's like an escape from reality because here, they're treated like normal people. Here, they get to have that ounce of humanity back and for now, Areum decides to let go of all her inhibitions, to let her prejudice fade away.

"Thanks for today, Yoongi. I had a great time." She says almost in a whisper while fiddling with the lace ribbon of the bouquet laid on her lap. Yoongi was completely caught off guard by this and he stared at her as if she grew two heads.

"What?" Areum questions him when she sees his puzzled expression and he quickly shakes his head. "Nothing. It was just unexpected."

 

"I was raised with manners, Yoongi. I know how to thank people."

 

"Fine, sorry." He says with a chuckle. "You're always welcome, princess. Always."

 

It dawns upon her that Yoongi barely calls her by her name. It’s always princess but he never says it like it’s a title, like an honorific because there’s always a hint of tenderness to it, like a term of endearment, a pet name. And maybe Areum likes it that way. There was a pause between them. Neither of them spoke a word and it was quiet except for the rumbling of the car engine.

 

“If you’re not too busy maybe you can...uh...coordinate me with your charities?” Areum asks him reluctantly, not that she’s forcing herself to do this but this will definitely appear as support to Vhrea’s agendas and she’s isn’t quite sure if she wants that. She still isn't sure if she wants to be supportive of them but then helping people shouldn’t have boundaries either.

The prince gives her his full attention this time because he’s far too surprised that she’s having a pretty decent conversation with him but of course he won’t let go of his chance to give a snarky remark on what she just said.

“Oh, I thought it was just a front that your mother says to impress people. Didn’t know you were really serious about that. ”

Areum closes her eyes in frustration, heaving out a loud sigh, trying to contain herself because sometimes he really does make her want to commit a cold blooded murder and she doesn’t even care anymore if she gets jailed for it. “Can't we have a day of quiet and calm?” She groans, glaring straight at the man beside her.

He snorts at her reaction, holding both of his hands up in surrender. “I was just confirming because you really look like the type to scare people away.”

“I’m not playing games with you, Yoongi.”

"Alright, alright. I'll look into the things we can share."

 

At some point in the long drive, Areum feels the exhaustion from their long walk wash over her. She scoots closer to him, strangely finding comfort in his arms and this is another surprise for Yoongi. "I'm tired." She mumbles under her breath and as much as he wants to run his fingers against her cheek, he stops himself from doing so, afraid that he might ruin the moment.

 

"Just lean on me." Yoongi tells her softly and she nods before putting her head against his shoulder.

 

 

And they stayed like that for the rest of the journey.

 

 

The two of them may have started off on the wrong foot but Areum thinks it wouldn't hurt to show a bit of kindness because fate has already been cruel enough to push them into this kind of situation. Constant fighting is indeed draining and besides, it's nice this way. 

 

 

 

[A/N: and i'm backkkkk after so long. i know I've been away for a while and i feel like i owe you guys a bit of fluff. thank you for always looking forward to this despite the slow updates. (the daechwita mv has a really strong grip on me)

this is unedited, btw but i hope you enjoyed this! please don't hesitate to leave comments.

i also posted a new fic recently. you can check it out here]