003

Reprieve

Your Royal Highness, King of Vhrea,

 

Greetings of Peace!

After weeks of reflecting and weighing both the advantages and disadvantages of your proposition, it is with pleasure to inform you that I have decided to agree with the proposal.

I believe that we share the same goals when it comes to the betterment of our nation and I am hoping that this will be the start of a new, peaceful era.

Most sincerely,

Kim Areum, Princess of Meri

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Meri finally called off the war against Vhrea, announcing their plans to form an alliance and the people rejoiced at this news as they can now sleep in peace without worrying about their safety and slowly get their lives back to normal. There were countless questions, of course, about the sudden decision. The kingdoms have yet answered them but weeks after the princess sent the letter, rumors of the marriage spread like wildfire across the two countries and to their surprise, nearly everyone was excited about it. The speculations are everywhere, saying that maybe the war stopped because the prince of Vhrea and the princess of Meri fell in love.

It became the talk of the town. People awed at the thought of love that paved the way to pull the rival nations together. It was like a modern day Romeo and Juliet with a happy ending, they say. Love is indeed powerful enough to move mountains, powerful enough to wipe out all hatred, even powerful to thaw the cold hearts of the leaders of the kingdoms. Who would've thought that the long years of fighting would be ended because of love. Romantic isn't it?

But Areum hates it. She hates every single bit of it. Seeing the news makes her sick with disgust. Her feelings for the prince are nowhere near love, not even a speck of affection, unlike what the commoners and the media think. Days after that dreaded dinner, the king started to treat her as if she was an irrelevant member of the royal family. She was ignored, was reminded that she was not an heir and she was basically nothing but as soon as she told the royal council her decision, she was suddenly the precious daughter again. 'I knew you were just blinded with your emotions.' Her father told her and she resented the fact that the king was right about saying that she'd eventually say yes to this. She feels used. The burden of her duties weighs heavy around her neck and as the days pass by, it gets tighter. She fears that one day it will be so tight that she'll end up being choked by it.

The preparations for the union of Meri and Vhrea only made her feel tired than before. She has her own commitments and obligations as the princess of the country and the whole ordeal of having to put two contradicting countries together by marriage is only piling up to her tasks. The press alone is already difficult to handle which got worse when Meri's royal family was seen visiting Vhrea.

They had to go there to talk about specific things regarding their marriage, the motif, the guests, the food, the location and as much as Areum wanted to leave the decision to them–since they forced this upon her in the first place–Yoongi insisted that she takes the call. It's a woman's most special day so he wanted her to be part of the planning. He was also worried that she might feel homesick so the royals decided that she'll be allowed to bring someone with her once she moves in. Her eyes instantly lit up but they were quick to kill her hopes because why the hell did she even think that they would allow Jungkook to step in their kingdom. He threatened the safety of the future king and it is expected that they'd keep him off vicinity. Props to the crown prince for his effort of including her in this matter but it feels nothing like salt being roughly rubbed on her open wounds.

The wedding is set to take place in Vhrea so it won't be difficult for her to move in and at the same time show sincerity that Meri is already willing to make amends with the other. They'll be in another country but she wants the entire theme and layout to represent her own, wants it to be blue, to remember the vast seas of Meri, to remind her that this is a duty to be fulfilled for her people and not for the satisfaction of those that are above her. The guests are limited for security purposes but the whole event will be publicized for the rest of the people to see, for transparency because of course, politics should not be left out.

The reception is purposefully lavish but private as it is the place for them to celebrate their union, their peace, their new formed friendship. It was decided to be that way so the royals can also flaunt, nothing more nothing less.

 

Areum wishes she could lash out at her parents when the palace confirmed the speculations to be true. She wishes that all of this is just a bad dream but then everything is too real to be a nightmare. She wishes she could escape, tell everyone she was forced, tell them this is not what she wants but how could she do that when the citizens are so thrilled about it? How can she rebel against the royals when this marriage is about to be the symbol of peace? The peace that the people of two nations have been yearning for so long?

The princess leans against the railings of the balcony, admiring the calm waves of the sea, letting the cool breeze brush past the stray strands of her hair. She's envious because she wishes for her heart and mind to be as calm as the sea right now. Maybe she's like the sea to others, giving peace and tranquility but she is far from that. She's nothing but a whirlwind, a wrecking storm and she hates it.

 

"I figured you'll be here." Areum's whole body tenses upon hearing the voice from behind. There's a twinge of pain in her chest and it stings. She isn't planning to look back at the direction of the voice but then Jungkook settles beside her, leaning against the railings too.

"What are you doing here? It's already late." She asks without bothering to look at him and hears him chuckle lightly at her question.

"I should be the one asking you that, princess."

"I can't sleep." She replies quietly. "The view of the sea from here somehow relaxes me."

"The stars are pretty tonight, aren't they?" It is a futile attempt to keep the conversation going. Things between them have gone awkward ever since that night. The silence between them started to feel uncomfortable. They turn stiff every time they pass by each other, not knowing how to act, exchanging nervous glances as their thoughts get tangled with unspoken words. Besides, the king deems it best for the both of them to stay away from each other for their own sake. In other words, preventing their interactions keeps Areum from changing her mind.

She doesn't reply to his question and looks up instead. True enough, the dark midnight sky is littered with sparkling stars. It is mesmerizing. Jungkook has always loved the constellations in the night sky just like how she loves the sound of the waves hitting the shore and if they were in a different circumstance, she'd be leaning on him or have his arms wrapped around her waist as they admire the beauty of nature in front of them. But fate played an awful trick and now they're trying so hard to keep themselves away from each other.

The silence of the night. The sea. The sky. The stars. The calm breeze. It all takes her back to that night when he asked her to marry him and that very memory makes her chest twist, far from how she felt back then when she used to feel giddy when she thinks about it.

 

Areum turns to look at him this time. He looks so serene but his eyes tell everything. It always does. The brokeness, the misery, the guilt are all there.

 

"Jungkook, do you... do you think about us too?" She asks him as her emotions turn into a swirling mess inside her. The question hangs heavily in the air and Jungkook shifts to return her gaze.

"Every single day." He answers slowly, restraining himself from getting any closer to the princess. No one else is here tonight. No one would know if he hugged her or held her hand or kissed her but he still remained unmoving on his spot. "What we had is not easy to forget. I'd say it was one of the best moments of my life."

She smiles bitterly at his words, feeling helpless despite her high rank in this society. People only see their flashy lives, the privilege, the power but they don't know that royals have to bow down to the rules and protocols that will eventually feel like shackles.

 

"Is this the only way?"

 

"It isn't," he replies shortly and takes in a deep breath before he speaks again. "But so far this is the best way to put a stop to the continuous bloodshed. It is a rare chance so we have to take it."

 

She nods and looks back at the sea, scared that he might notice the prickling tears on the corner of her eyes. "Hey, at least the people approve of it. That's one less thing to worry about." She hears him say and she chuckles mirthlessly at his words.

"It's because the media romanticized it. If they find out that it's all a political strategy then maybe they'd react differently."

"But isn't that better than having to deal with revolting people and ty side comments?"

 

"Do you think so?"

 

"You know, Areum," he starts softly and her heart aches when he drops the honorifics. It's been a while, been a while since they both felt at ease around each other, been a while since she heard him call her by her name and she misses it so bad. "People like us–labeled with ranks– are born to serve the people. It is our job to lead them, maintain security, keep the economy running, make sure that their quality of living improves and we do all of that to protect them, uphold their rights and of course, keep them satisfied. We're meant to commit to the life of service and the country, the people, they are always the first priority. It will always be them before our own interest, before our own desires, before our own selves and because it is this way, sacrifices are meant to be made."

Areum has always admired Jungkook's dedication and wisdom. This is what hooked her in the first place. His love for the country, for the people, for the service he's able to give, are very ideal in this corrupt world. At some point she was convinced that his heart is made of pure love, untainted, void of any form of wickedness. They shared the same goals, the same vision, the same dedication and this made her believe that they'll be together till the end. He was her source of comfort but right now, it is different. His words only tightened the leash around her neck, reducing her into nothing but an icon, a figure, a tool. Is this how he sees her? How he sees everyone else in this palace?

 

Are they just pawns that everyone can use to fit these roles?

 

Now she feels like she never owned herself at all.

 

"I have to go back." Her voice quivers as she speaks. "You should too. If someone finds out about this, father might scold me again."

"I guess this is it?" He asks and a part of him hopes that she'll answer differently but she hums in reply to his question.

 

This is it. This is how they end. Their chapter is finally over.

 

Jungkook wants to hold her so bad, wants to keep her close, wants to touch her for one last time but he doesn't trust himself enough that he'd be able to hold back. He wants to apologize because there's nothing he can do for her. He wants to tell her how much he loves her, how much he wants to just leave everything behind and run away with her.

"Good night, Areum," He says instead, keeping the unspoken words all to himself because what's the point? They can't be together anyway. "Your happiness is all I ever wish for so I hope you'll still find it despite everything that happened.

The princess smiles this time but it doesn't reach her eyes. Can she really find happiness in this world? Hopefully she does. She turns her back and starts to walk away from the balcony but she stops on her tracks when she hears a small voice at the back of her head telling her to go back, to be selfish for one last time, to at least do something for herself. She wills for it to go away but it's persistent.

She sighs.

 

the system

 

Areum finds herself running back to Jungkook, wrapping her arms around his neck in an embrace. His hands somehow found its way to her waist, pulling her closer to him, knowing that they'd never get a chance like this again. It is so different from the way he hugs her because this definitely feels like goodbye. The sea, the stars, and the silence of the night are witnesses to their despair and once again, she wishes that this is all a nightmare.

They finally part, still maintaining the close proximity and she feels a pang on her chest. If only time can stop so they could stay like this longer. She knows it's useless to wish for something more because it only leads countless what ifs that cuts her wounds deeper.

She looks at him in the eye and smiles sadly. "Thank you for everything, Jungkook. Your happiness matters so much to me too so be happy."

 

The clocks are ticking and days pass by swiftly. It would be a blatant lie to say that she's not nervous because she might have come to terms with the fact that she will be marrying someone for peace but it still bothers her that Yoongi is a complete stranger.

Some of her things were already sent to the other kingdom to bring her belongings little by little and not have her bring so much when she leaves. She stares blankly at the packed clothes placed at the corner of her room, can't believe that she will be leaving the place she grew up in. It never crossed her mind that she'll move to a different place, so different because it's actually another kingdom. She'd have to adjust to people she barely knows and it's quite a relief that Jimin agreed to go with her. At least she has one person that she can fully trust.

 

It's for the people. Areum tells herself constantly whenever she feels a new wave of doubt.

 

It is one morning when the princess wakes up in cold sweat. She's nauseous. feels like it's closing up and her hands are trembling so much. It's the day before her wedding and everything feels absolutely terrible.

She calls for the queen and the moment her mother steps inside her room, she breaks down into tears. She cries and cries and cries in her mother's arms and none of them say a word. Areum doesn't like how her own mother never stood up for her, doesn't like how she obeys the king without a word, doesn't like how she allows herself to be silenced but then she can't bring herself to hate her mother. She just couldn't.

 

"I don't think I can do this." Areum says with a shaky voice and her mother wipes the tears on her cheek with her thumb.

 

The queen gives her an apologetic look. "You have to, darling. You have to." She says in a whisper.

 

 

 

 

 

[A/N: It's 1AM and I don't have energy to proofread anymore but I wanted to update so I'm sorry for any typos or grammar errors]