In the future

PROJECT WENRENE

Title: In the future

Au: Ex-lovers!au

Tags: Angst

TW: N/A

Prompt: The story of a perfect couple wanting completely different things.

Wordcount: 896


[11 Months Ago]

Seungwan fiddles with her fingers, not knowing what to say anymore as Joohyun packs her things inside a bag. Seungwan's chest felt tight- this day having come earlier than she had expected. Joohyun had made a descision, one that involves her future.

Unfortunately, both had decided that the other isn't part of said future.

Joohyun wanted to travel, to see what every single part of the world can offer. Joohyun loved change; Seungwan detested it. 

Seungwan wanted to stay in Korea, seeing as she loved her job as a music composer for a famous label. She couldn't afford to travel since her job had demanded her to stay. If there was anything Seungwan loved more than Joohyun, it was her job - and Joohyun knew this very well. 

To their credit, they didn't fight, nor scream and yell at eachother. They both understood they just had too differentiating dreams - and they both had to respect that. It's unfortunate, but it's for the best. It was Joohyun's childhood wish and Seungwan's little eutopia.

It isn't to say both didn't try to find a compromise. They both spent many days and countless night talks, trying to find a level ground. One that they were happy with; but in the end it all came down to this. Maybe, just maybe, when Joohyun's decided to finally settle down, they'll have a talk again. They loved eachother, enough to understand that they both want different things. They loved eachother enough to let the other go.

"So this is it, then?" Joohyun turns around, nodding a little with a small smile on her face. "I can't believe I'm leaving this house.. when we bought it I always thought I'd live here for the rest of my life." Joohyun states in awe, looking around one more time. Seungwan's heart aches at those words. Leaning against the door frame, she crosses her arms as she looks down in an attempt to hide the watering of her own eyes. 

Joohyun notices this, and stops packing her things in a bag. Walking over to Seungwan with a serene, genuine smile on her face. "Hey, don't cry.." she cooed, cupping the younger girl's face with her hands. The blonde sniffs, sobbing uncontrollably. "I'm sorry- I'm sorry. I know we talked about this, it's just..." She shudders, fresh tears dropping from her eyes. "I know, babygirl. I know." Joohyun wraps her arms around Seungwan, rubbing her back in a soothing manner. "I wish I can take you with me. I really do. But..." 

Seungwan let's out a shaky breath, understanding Joohyun's point. A frown forms on Joohyun's face, the engines inside her head working - trying to think of something to cheer the other girl up. "Hey! How about I come visit on Christmas?" Seungwan looks up to meet Joohyun's gaze, hopeful. "Really?" 

"Yeah! It'll be just like old times. We may not be together anymore, but I'd still love to spend time with you." 

Seungwan's eyes finally form onto their beautiful, crescent shape. A wide grin on her face. No matter how far Joohyun actually is, Seungwan trusts her to fulfill her promise. Finally, she has something to look forward to.

"Okay!"

X

[Present]

Seungwan hurriedly grabbed her keys, rushing to get her things together. Seulgi, her roommate who had moved in a couple months after Joohyun left, watches from the side. Chuckling at her best friend. It's been awhile seen Seungwan's been so excited - so filled with energy. "Geez, calm down Wan. She isn't going anywhere."

"That's what you might think, but who knows she might poof again." 

Seulgi shakes her head, gaze on Seungwan as the girl leaves for the door. "Be careful when you drive! We don't want her waiting at the airport then receiving news that you're actually dead!" Seungwan rolls her eyes, "Yeah, yeah, mom!"

Seungwan couldn't believe her ears when Joohyun, after around 3 months of absolutely hearing nothing from the girl, contacted her saying she was coming back. She was coming home  to fullfil her promise. She hastily put the keys inside the ignition before driving towards the airport. After 11 months, she was finally gonna see her again.

Seungwan couldn't wait to do anything and catch up with her. Go skating, maybe run around on Christmas eve, possibly even... Cuddle. A friendly cuddle. Seungwan turns the corner, stopping at a red light. She's all giddy and happy imagining everything they'd do together for Christmas. She fails to notice the very fast car from the side of the road completely derailing and coming towards her. 

Seungwan notices just a tad bit too late.

X

Joohyun holds onto her scarf. She'd been waiting for an hour and a half now. Just where was she? Just then, her phone rings, a pout forming on her face immediately. She presses the green button, putting it in her ear with a whiny tone. "Hey, where are you? I've been waiting for an hour and a half! Ive wanted to introduce you to-"

Joohyun couldn't believe what she was hearing. With her eyes wide open, she inquires with a quivering voice. Joohyun's other companion looking at her worridly.

"What do you mean she got into an accident?"