Chapter I

DOUBT

< Y/N’s POV >

You have always believed that you’re the luckiest girl in the world to have a successful man as your boyfriend. He is a general manager at a famous company. He is just 26 years old but already goes viral all-over South Korea because of his intelligent and success in business world.

You and he have been dating since university day and it’s your 6th year to be together. You both have been living in a dorm together for more than 1 year now. Not just sharing the roof together, you both have been living like a husband and wife. Every day you look forward to his proposal. Since the moment you decided to date him, you already wish to become the love of his life. You love him so much and your love for him grows bigger and bigger day by day. You treasure him so much and you always thought he would think the same until one day you found out something and you decided to walk out from his life.

-----/////-----

[ Throw back ] ~3 months ago~

“Jonghyun-ah, are you going to come to have dinner at home tonight? I think I’ll finish my work fast so I want to cook you a nice dinner tonight.” you turned to ask your beloved boyfriend Jonghyun who was tying his tie, in rush to go to work.

“No, Y/N! I’ll be late tonight. I’ve an appointment with my important business partner after work. Don’t wait for me! I’m gonna go to work now. See you!” he said and gave you a kiss on forehead then left.

Lately, he has been so busy. He is unable to send you to work because he has to leave early in the morning. He is unable to pick you up from work because he often has dinner with his business partners and comes back to dorm at very late night. Some days you can’t even see his face for full day because some days he leaves before you wake up and comes back after you soundly fall asleep. However, you try to understand him. You keep telling yourself that he has very high position in the company. He must be busy like this. Unlike you, you’re an author at a magazine company. Sometimes you can just do your work from home and have plenty time like if he needs you, you’ll be there for him anytime. To you, you put your boyfriend before anything even before yourself.

-----

[ At Gamnam Magazine Company ]

“Omg this is gonna be a big news for today. Kim Jonghyun, the young and very successful businessman in this era caught going out with his company chairman’s daughter who has just comeback from studying abroad.” said Dongho, a reporter in your work team, got everyone’s attention in the whole office including you. You were like you misheard about what he has just said so you went to him and quickly took the magazine from your co-worker’s hand to see. The pictures which were taken by reporters is really your boyfriend, Jonghyun. There ware a few pictures of him and a beautiful, high show woman. One photo shows that Jonghyun was opening his car door for her, another one is eating inside a luxury restaurant with romantic decoration on table together and the last one Jonghyun was sending her home, standing in front of her house. After clearly saw the pictures and the article, you lost your soul. You were like you were dreaming or something. You rushed to go to bathroom before you burst out crying in front everybody.

You’ve spent like half an hour crying inside the bathroom then you tried to hold yourself and started thinking positive.

“We’ve been dating and I’ve never done anything to disappoint him. There is no way he would betray me. It must be a confusion. Maybe they just went out as a friend or for work. I love my boyfriend so I have to trust him.” you said to yourself.

 After you could make up your mind, you decided to act normal. As you were leaving the bathroom, your childhood friend, Minhyun was standing near the bathroom with his worried facial expression. He looked like he was waiting for you.

(Minhyun is your childhood friend. You both are from Busan the same. Not just growing up and going to school together, you both have the same dream job is to become an author. After graduated from high school, you moved to Seoul and entered the university here but Minhyun continued his study at hometown. When this company was recruiting authors last month, you contacted him about it. He was happy for the chance and applied for this position and finally he got hired. He moved to Seoul when he was hired and it has been one month already that you both can meet each other every day and become co-workers. You feel grateful to have your close friend here with you as you don’t really have many friends in Seoul. You always share everything with him. You also shared your love story with Jonghyun to him. So he knows that Kim Jonghyun, the successful businessman at young age who everyone is talking about is your boyfriend. You can say that not many people know your relationship with Jonghyun as you both want it to be private until your marriage day.)

“Are you okay? Your eyes are so swollen. You must have cried too much.” Minhyun worriedly asked you while he was checking your face’s condition.

“Yes I’ve cried a lot but then I realized that I was so stupid to believe this news easily like this. Jonghyun and I love each other so much. He can’t betray me. They must have gone out together as a friend or for work only. I’ll ask Jonghyun tonight when we get home. Let’s go back to work!” you tried to act fine to Minhyun because you didn’t want to make him worried more than this.

Today you couldn’t concentrate on your work because of that news. You kept looking at your phone waiting for Jonghyun’s call/message. You really hoped he would explain to you before you ask him. But you didn’t get anything from him for full day.

You went back home and was waiting for him to come back home. You were sitting in living room to wait for him. Though the news went viral, Jonghyun was still late. It’s 12AM already but he hasn’t come back yet. He didn’t even phone nor message you. You decided to call him but his phone couldn’t be contacted, like he has turned it off or ran out of battery. You were curious but you continued waiting for him even you felf so sleepy and exhausted. You’ve tried your best to console yourself that the news isn’t true and you’ll give chance to him to explain but your tears and heart won’t listen. Your tears kept falling and your heart kept hurting you.

It’s 3AM and he finally came home.

“Jonghyun!!! You come now.” you rushed to go to him as he was entering the dorm. He didn’t look fine. His facial expression was unwell and he was heavily drunk. He didn’t say anything to you.

“Jonghyun, why are you so drunk? Are you okay? Did the news today make you in this state? Jonghyun, I know it’s not true. Please don’t hurt yourself like this!” you kept talking to him alone and tried to express your worries for him. But he just went straight to the room, he didn’t pay attention to your presence at all.

“Jonghyun, aren’t you going to say anything to me? I mean after a hot news between you and that high show woman...” you insisted for his attention. He finally turned to look at you with very mean facial expression and it made you scared a little bit.

“How many times do I have to talk about this in a day? Stop asking me the same question! I’m bored.” he shouted at you loudly like he looked so pissed off. He went inside the bathroom. You were so shocked and scared at the same time because he has never acted like this to you before. You kept crying painfully alone but then you tried to tell yourself that he must have been asked about this question by people around him a lot today that’s why he was this pissed off. You tried to calm yourself and decided to cheer him up by saying nice words to him after he leaves the bathroom.

You’ve waited for him to come out from bathroom for like one hour already but he still didn’t come out. You were so worried about him but you dared not to call him as you thought that he may need some time to be alone. You prepared pajama for him, put it on bed then slept first.

-----

NEXT DAY

You already woke up but you pretended to sleep as you wanted to know what he would do and how his feeling is on this new day. He finally woke up and quickly went to bathroom unlike every day he would kiss on your forehead and says good morning even you’ve not woken up yet. You feel a bit upset. You got up and that moment his phone rang.

“Who would call him at early morning like this?” you were thinking alone. When the phone kept ringing for so long and he was still inside bathroom, you decided to go to pick it up instead. As you were holding his phone intending to answer the call, he suddenly came out from bathroom.

“Stop it! What do you want to do? Give my phone to me!” he reacted like he was mad at you. You handed his phone to him. He quickly took it and left the room to talk on phone. You couldn’t help yourself but feeling so hurt. You saw the name of caller is “Jennie” and it’s his company chairman’s daughter’s name. You doubted and secretly watched him talking on phone. He was smiling and looked like he is so happy to have a talk with her. His madness which he has just acted to you earlier couldn’t be seen when he talked with that girl at all.

After finished talking on phone, he went back to dress up and ready to leave the house. You were preparing breakfast for him but he didn’t eat it. He said he is busy and has to go right away. After he left, you spent a few hours crying at dining table alone.

-----

It has been one week that he hasn’t explained to you anything about that news and kept ignoring your presence even you both are sleeping on the same bed next to each other. Even he comes back home early, he would just play with his phone, talking or chatting till late night happily and not bother to talk with you much.

Day by day, you started feeling distance from him but you still tried to tell yourself that everything is going to be like before soon. You’re telling yourself every day that she is just his friend, his co-worker or boss.

-----

One weekend day, you went to a mall to go shopping together with Jonghyun. He kept playing with his phone unlike every time he would hold your hand going shopping and helping you to pick the needed stuffs. All of his attention now is on phone chatting with somebody.

During your shopping, you both walked pass by a wedding cloth shop. The dress was so beautiful. It got your attention and you stood still looking at it excitedly.

“What are you doing here?” Jonghyun realized you weren’t following him behind, he came back to find you.

“Jonghyun, isn’t this dress beautiful? I wish I could wear it soon. It’s so beautiful.” you excitedly pointed to the dress without noticing his boring facial expression.

“Come on! Let’s go back home if you’ve already finished shopping! I’m so tired.” instead of response to your question, he showed his mad at you. You were very upset but again you tried to act fine.

After finished shopping, you were heading back to parking lot.

“Y/N, can you go home by taxi? I suddenly remembered that I have something to do.” he suddenly asked you to go back home by yourself after he got a phone call from someone.

“Fine! Please go to do your job! I can go home by taxi.” you were so hurt to hear his sudden leave but again you tried to act fine in front of him. But after he left, you couldn’t hold your tears. You sat down at parking lot with a ton of stuff inside your hands and cried out your pain loud. You felt so pitiful for yourself to be left alone like this.

After crying for a while, you tried to collect your power, carried like 5 big plastic bags that full of stuffs and walked to catch a taxi to go back home.

-----

Jonghyun started ignoring even the making love life. He rarely touched you nor spent the night with you unlike in the past he rarely missed it even he was tired from work. Some nights he slept turning back to you for full night. Sometimes you missed your old happy time on bed with him too much that you couldn’t control yourself so you tried to approach him first. Sometimes he responded to you but sometimes he just ignored you. Even you got refused by him, you still needed him so you just gave him a back hug though he would not even turn back to look at you.

-----

You’ve been living like this with him for 2 months; he has been leaving home early in the morning and comes back late at night, he doesn’t send you to work nor pick you up from work, he stops giving you morning kiss or good night kiss, he doesn’t take you out often, he keeps playing with his phone and ignoring your presence most of the time, he doesn’t eat at home, he loses his sweetness with you no more sweet words just only rough words and loveless words.

You reached your limitation of being patient. You finally decided to stop fooling yourself. You started growing your doubt with him.

You’ve been sharing about him to Minhyun. Actually, you felt so lucky to have Minhyun around at this tough moment. When you couldn’t bear with Jonghyun’s ignorance and felt so lonely, you would talk with Minhyun or go out to release stress with him. Minhyun always cheered you up and kept telling you to find a good chance to talk with Jonghyun properly not just sharing with him and doubting alone like this. You agreed that it’s a good idea. You wanted to have a talk with Jonghyun about everything clearly too but time didn’t make it for you.

-----

Finally, it’s almost your birthday. Whenever it’s your or his birthday, you both would take a day off and spend the whole day celebrate the birthday together. This time you’ve been waiting for him to say anything to you but he has been silent about it.

When it came to just one night before your birthday, you collected your bravery to ask him first.

“Jonghyun-ah, it’s my birthday tomorrow. Will we spend the whole day together like every year?” you excitedly asked while you both were laying on bed to sleep.

Jonghyun slowly opened his eyes and looked at you.

“Tomorrow is your birthday? I forgot. I’ve not asked for permission at work. I can’t go with you tomorrow.” he said without even feeling a little sorry.

“Oh it’s fine then. I actually have asked permission from work but your work is more important. I’ll go to work as normal then.” you tried to give him a fine smile while your heart was so fragile inside. you tried to hold your tears in front of him but after he soundly fell asleep, you started sobbing painfully alone.

-----

NEXT DAY

It’s your birthday but it’s not exciting as every year. Jonghyun left home early in the morning again. He didn’t even say happy birthday to you.

You’ve been sad for full day and as you thought you couldn’t celebrate it with Jonghyun, you decided to ask Minhyun out for a drink with you. It has been many years already that you’ve not celebrated your birthday with him.

That night, you went back home a bit late because you were spending time expressing your sadness and pain to Minhyun about your recent relationship with Jonghyun as it was getting worse and worse.

You were a bit drunk and didn’t realize what time is it. As you entered the dorm, Jonghyun was sitting madly at living room with having a cake in front of him.

“Jonghyun!!!” you exclaimed.

“Where have you gone and you know what time is it now?” Jonghyun angrily asked.

“I was drinking with my friend. The cake? Were you waiting for me? Jonghyun, I didn’t know you were waiting for me. I thought you’re tied up with your work till late night like every day so…..” you quickly explained to him and felt really guilty.

“Yes I was waiting for you but you were having fun with your close friend. It’s over 12AM now and not your birthday anymore so no need to celebrate.” he said then furiously threw away the cake. You were so scared and felt more guilty at the same time.

“Jonghyun, I’m sorry. If I had known you were waiting, I would come back home early.” you burst out crying.

“I don’t need your excuse. I’ve had enough. Now come here!” he suddenly grabbed your hand violently to go with him.

“Jonghyun, let go of me! It’s hurt.” you cried out as he was grabbing my hand too strong.

He dragged me into the room and roughly threw you to the bed.

“Jonghyun-ah, what are you trying to do?” you worriedly asked.

“I’m going to do like what we have been doing for years. Why do you look so worried? Am I not allowed to make love with you anymore?” you were lost by his never-said word. You had no idea why he acted so furious like this to you.

After shouting at you, he roughly kissed your lips. You were uncomfortable with it because you thought you and he needed to talk first. You tried to escape and pushed him.

“Why? Why are you fighting? I can’t sleep with you anymore, right?” he disappointedly asked.

“No, it’s just we should talk first and I’m a bit drunk. I’m not feeling well. I don’t feel like doing this tonight. I’m sorry.” you tried to find excuse. You were feeling unwell but you made it as an excuse because you wanted to escape doing this with him. He was so mad and you were scared.

“Have you just slept with someone else before come here already? That’s why you’re denying me.” he suddenly said something got you so hurt and confused. You noticed his eyes are full of tears and anger so in order to finish the argument you agreed with him.

“Please don’t judge me like that! It’s fine if you want to do this with me tonight. I’m not denying anymore.” you stopped fighting and accepted his kiss and hug as usual.

It’s the time you were feeling unwell doing this with him. He was somehow different and you couldn’t even describe that unwell feeling.

“Jonghyun, aren’t you going to use the protection? I can be pregnant, Jonghyun. It’s my ovulation date. Please use it!” you started worrying as he was not like he is going to use the protection at all.

He didn’t say anything at all, he just kept doing his stuff.

“Jonghyun-ah, please… Jonghyun….” you were teary, trying to beg him for the last time.

He wouldn’t bother to care about your begging. You couldn’t stop him so you and he spent the night together without any protection for the first time. You felt so upset as you couldn’t understand him. It is the first time you didn’t have fun doing this with him. He used his anger to throw on body. You didn’t feel love while making love with him anymore. You started to realize that your value for him is losing.

“This is probably he has been changed. He has been seeing another girl and he has been betraying me.” this is what you thought about him after being forced by him for the first time. You finally started to believe that your doubt was turning true.

-----

NEXT DAY

After being forced by the man you’ve been loving so much for the first time and after you spent one full night to think, you decided to stay away from him for a few days.

“What are you doing? Why are you packing your clothes?” he impatiently asked you while you were preparing your suitcase.

“I want to stay away from you for a while. There have been many things happened between us lately so I want sometimes to think.” you replied.

“Think? Do you want to break up with me? Were you angry because I forced you to sleep with me last night? We’ve been doing like this for years already, why can’t I do it with you anymore?” he became mad again. He grabbed your both shoulders strongly, got you scared again.

“Let me go for a few days! I really need time. I’m so complicated right now. Let’s talk again when I come back with a better feeling.” you begged him as your tears kept falling like waterfall. He seemed to get your feeling. He released his hands from you, stood still and remained silent. You took that chance to grab your suitcase then left.

-----

You asked for day off at work for one week. You went back to your hometown, Busan. Minhyun knew that you went to hometown because of argument with Jonghyun, he asked permission at work and came to Busan too. He is really the best friend of you. He was too worried about you and left everything behind just to go to console you in hometown. You’ve spent a week with your family, Minhyun and your old friends since you’ve not been seeing each other for so long.

After feeling better and got so much advices from Minhyun, you decided to go back to Seoul. Minhyun kept telling you again and again to speak out everything with Jonghyun not just keep doubting on him like this. You decided to go back dorm and have a clear talk with him.

As you entered your dorm, you saw woman high heels at the corridor. You became shaking and doubted if Jonghyun took girl in the house. You entered the living room and saw many bottles of beers like if he has been drinking and having fun with the girl. You quickly headed to bedroom. You were between if you should enter violently or secretly looked into the room without making them realizing your presence.

After thinking chaotically alone for a while, you decided to quietly open the door. It wasn’t different from you were afraid to see. As you opened the door, you saw Jonghyun and that girl, Jennie were hugging each other on the bed. They looked like they were going to do something further than that soon. After finding out everything by your own eyes, you quietly shut the door back and closed your mouth with your both hands, made sure the couple won’t hear you crying. After collecting your power, you ran out fast from the dorm. You kept running and crying painfully without knowing the destination. It was a very painful and lonely night. You felt pitiful for yourself so much. You decided to call Minhyun and told him what you saw. Minhyun quickly came to find you and he finally agreed with your doubt on Jonghyun for these whole times was true.

You were too hurt and almost crazy. You didn’t know what to do or where to go anymore. You even thought about dying. But after getting a lot of comforted and inspired words from Minhyun, you gave up the idea of dying. Minhyun took you to his rent room to stay with him for temporary and gave you the best care as he knew you were so down and depressed.

-----

3 days later after revealing Jonghyun’s relationship with Jennie, you finally made a decision. You decided to ask for a break up with Jonghyun and let him go. You called him to have a meet up by having Minhyun accompanying you as you were worried you would ruin everything if you were alone face to face with Jonghyun.

[ Inside a Café ]

“I know you’ve come back from Busan for a few days already but why don’t you come back home?” Jonghyun asked like you’re a fool not to know about his betraying. You burst out laughing before replying him, got him frown.

“Home? There isn’t my home anymore. By the way, I called you today because I want to ask you to break up. Let’s break! You should know the reason already so I don’t have to say it anymore! Kim Jonghyun, thanks for almost 7 years relationship! You’ve taught me a lot so far. Thank you so much!” you tried to fake your bravery like you were really fine and wanted this break up. You tried to hold your tears as you didn’t want Jonghyun to look down on you for being fooled by him for these few months.

He looked shocked and speechless with your sudden suggestion of break up. You thought perhaps he couldn’t believe you could find out his secret relationship with that girl before he asks you to break up first.

“You should understand more than anybody else. Well, I think I’ve made everything clear now. I gotta go! I wish you all the best. Let’s not see each other anymore! Even we run into each other by chance, let’s pretend not to know each other! Good-bye, the boy that I used to love!” you said then was trying to stand up to leave. That moment you felt so powerless as your heart and tears were competing to explode at anytime soon. Minhyun seemed to notice your condition so he helped to carry you to get up and walked you out from the cafe. Before heading to leave, you turned to look at Jonghyun who was still sitting silently in the café from outside through the glass wall. He didn’t bother to turn to look at you at all. That moment you burst out crying. You thought he looked like he was totally fine with this break up, like it didn’t matter to him at all. Finally, you’re nothing for him anymore. That’s what encouraged you to leave without turning back to look at him anymore.

“Good-bye, Jonghyun! I’ve loved you for real and too much but good-bye!...”

----- End of Your POV -----