3rd.

Luna's Lullaby
 
 
 
chapter three
songs to listen to while reading.  hitchcock,bonfires
 
 
 

 

A mermaid must carve the moon to its flesh and curse herself through a spoken incantation.

 

 

 
 

 

 

This city is nothing like the town I was in. There is a deep and deafening joy that can only be felt in Tapisan, a feeling that's pure and light, where time is fleeting and its value only matters when I need to go away once again. It is where I can laugh boisterously and explore worlds upon worlds without limits. In that town, I am free. Everytime summer ends, I fear that I will forget what it feels like to be a carefree child.

 

Now he returns to the bustling city, where competition and survival is top priority. In this place, he seeks to be Number 1, and he serves every waking day to reach it. He goes to an exclusive school, where he shows enough confidence and charisma to be loved by friends and be swooned by people he easily enamors. He marks his name as the president of the student council and although he wasn't the smartest, he earned rights to scholarships because of his well-roundedness both in basketball and soccer. His present is well-built; his future seems bright.

 

The city is loud and blaring, always changing and always moving forward. For a passionate and energetic lad like him, this place has a way of lighting the fire within him. I need to do well, I need to be better than others. The highs are addictively thrilling and the lows send a despairing toll to the mind and the heart. Jiwon knows that if he ever tries to take the slightest breather, he will be left behind, and so he doesn't.

 

However whenever he returns home and closes the door, there is this crippling silence. His mother greets him with a gentle smile, telling him dinner's ready. These days they have been eating in the living room so they can catch up to his mother's favorite TV drama. With the son comfortably on the floor and her mother on their huge sofa. They ask each other's days, and he would say that school is okay while Junhee reports about her tiring office work.

 

Their nights become duller and more restrained, and both of them know it is due to the fact that no one dares to address the elephant in the room. But life is comically cruel, Jiwon ends up concluding, when suddenly the TV advertisement shoves the said elephant to their very faces.

 

Dramatic, was Jiwon's first impression as he watches his father on the screen talking about how the latter's parents fought for democracy and the dismantlement of any tyranny. Mr. Kim spoke of standing up to the legacy of his parents so that no child shall fear their future. The screen pans to the side where other smiling and well-dressed people share more praises to the man under the spotlight. Jiwon recognizes them in a heartbeat— Mr. Kim's wife and their 16 year-old daughter. The two females tell the viewers to vote for Mr. Kim as senator, and the three of them huddle together like the perfect family they are.

 

"What a ty lie for a commercial."

 

"Jiwon!" Junhee's voice was reprimanding as she places a hand on her son's shoulder. "Don't speak about your father like that."

 

"I'm not wrong though. His campaign speaks of being there for every family in the country and yet here we are slowly being abandoned." Now it all makes sense to him, how his father's visits have drastically lessened, why the bills on the fridge stay longer, and why mother does extra shifts to meet the ends of their monthly rent and his tuition. It's all because his father does not need any sort of dirt in his name now that he needs to win the general public. "He’ll get rid of us again. Hide us and for how long?."

 

"Anak, you know our place in his life. We don't get to complain--"

 

"No, you don't get to complain because you're just a mistress. I'm his son!" He lashes out, whisking his mother’s hand away from him without even thinking it through, raging eyes glaring up to her mother who looked like she was just stabbed right in the chest.

 

Junhee slowly smiles patiently, her eyes welling up in the process, and when she parts her lips to apologize, Jiwon runs to his room and slams the door behind him. He curses himself for making his mother cry again, and he curses her for taking all of his outbursts in. He recalls the TV ad, and his blood boils of jealousy.

 

In this bustling city, his wish is a simple one. He seeks to be Number 1. One day, he would become so successful that no one will shame his existence, not even his father. One day, he will surpass his father’s other child and he will shove it in his wife’s face, one day his father will call him son proudly.

 

He closes his eyes, and Jiwon finds himself sinking— sinking into a dark abyss. But then there's a sudden ping sound from his laptop and upon checking who has sent him a message, a huge toothy smile broke out on his lips. As easy as that, the darkness has slowly ceased for the time being, the abyss misses its prey again.

 

Jiwon, hello! I'm sorry this reply is quite late. Lola Rosa has been sick these days so I'm doing everything from fishing to selling. Lalisa keeps finding new good spots to cast the net, I'm lucky. But don't worry, I don't take more than necessary and I'm careful so no other fishermen become suspicious. Speaking of good spots, I found a new secret meeting place! It's at the dock of the torn down factory, if you remember? We used to play hide-and-seek there when we were younger. Anyways, the tower of your father's mansion is quite visible from the dock and everytime I meet up with Lalisa there, she waves her hand to the tower and calls out your name, as if she is greeting you. Lalisa's learning more words and while she's still slow at speaking them, she can understand familiar phrases now! :) She still wears your watch and has been waiting for it to beep. My schooling is fine. Boring, meh meh. There's this guy in my class who keeps calling me shortie. I can't believe how they've all grown so tall. Are you taller now too, Jiwon? =_=;

 

Jiwon chuckles at the very sight of the emoticon, thinking how Jinhwan often looks like it whenever any person does or says something stupid.

 

If you see the picture I'm sending next, that's Lisa's attempt to draw us three. Don't you think she has improved? She still holds the pen the same way.

 

"Nope, still looks like two trees and a fish to me." He mutters with a snicker as he studies the mermaid's sketch; his hand reaching out to trace the lines and her attempts.

 

We can't wait for summer to come again. We'll be here, waiting. Tell auntie I said hello! I'll visit this internet cafe next week to message you again. Stay strong and take care!

 

"You always have been an expert of good timings, Jinhwan." Jiwon mutters as he rereads his bestfriend's message again and again. When the going is too tough, Jinhwan appears right before him in any means, and he is reminded how problems don't mean the end of everything. At least he hopes it isn’t. "I can't wait to return to you both, Jinhwan... Lalisa."

 

Six months... six more months and it's summer again.

 

At the time being, he will have to keep working hard and be steadfast through it all. With his father’s aim for a high ranking position, changes are coming and he tried his best to remain unfazed by them. First came the house, with expenses piling up and no response coming from Mr. Kim, Jiwon and Junhee were forced to move to a humbler home. It wasn’t the first time this has happened and the two have lived in worse places back then. This is okay.

 

The days roll by and Junhee is working more sideline jobs along with her main one to cover her son’s school’s fees, but frequent overworking has made her weak and knowing this would not be beneficial for their family in the long run, Jiwon, with extreme frustration, gave up his school and transferred to one of the city’s public school. It’s okay, this is okay.

 

The new school has greatly accepted him and his new classmates were mostly friendly. Though prejudices on rich folks remain hard to eradicate, this did not bother him much. However he did have to start from scratch and with a bigger school like this, his opportunities to secure smooth sailing college years in the future have slimmed severely.

 

I’m okay, but by god, this is cruel.

 

Whenever the dark abyss within him attempts to pull him in, he rereads Jinhwan’s weekly messages. Stories of that town keep him afloat.

 

Tonight, like any other night, he does his homework, studies for his quizzes and when it is finally time to sleep, he visits his mother in her bedroom. Over the course of time, they have not been the best at being kind to each other, but at the end of the day, they would look at each other, and her smile remains gentle and understanding. She pats the space beside her, and like when he was younger, he jumps and joins her to sleep. Two against the world, just like always.

 

 

 
 

 

 

At last, summer has arrived.

 

The welcoming sign of Town Tapisan has turned rustier than ever and no one has made a move to fix it still, but there was no need for that, at least to Jiwon, for he could so much as close his eyes while riding the bus and he would still know when he would arrive. The buzzing sound of the cicadas, the sunflower field that stretches along the road, the warm breeze and of course, his best friend who waits for him in the same bus stop.

 

Jinhwan, as Jiwon observes as they hug, has grown quite sturdier and stronger than last year and he figured it is from doubling his daily workload after Rosa has retired from frequent fishing, though he still has the same bronze-colored hair, a small face and a thoughtful gaze. "You haven't grown taller did you?" He teases the male just like always.

 

"I did! You just grew faster. Psh, thank those growth enhancing vitamins for that." Jinhwan smirks as he greets Junhee with a light hug while Jiwon shoots back proofs of his natural growth spurt.

 

"It's good to see you, dear." Junhee greets and Jinhwan is taken aback at how seemingly frail or small she is through her loose summer dress. He reckons it's because of Jiwon's father and all the troubles that latches along with the upcoming election.

 

A bit of frustration finds a way to his heart knowing he can only do so little for Jiwon and Junhee, two of the few people he cares alot. "I'll take care of Jiwon, auntie." His promise remains the same and he will make sure he sticks to it, because it's the only way he can help. The female smiles, her eyes disappearing just like Jiwon's.

 

"Not going to do your handshake this year?" Junhee asks as she slowly heads to the tricycles.

 

The two only grin in response as they bade the older female goodbye before making a run through the sunflower field again.

 

They don't follow the same path this time as Jinhwan leads the other to a smaller but longer path where it leads to what remains of a factory from a long time gone. There is nothing but a bulldozed building and only the cemented floor and spacious open area remains. The further they run into the vicinity, Jiwon hears a beautiful lullaby from the most captivating voice. Jiwon's heart raced upon realizing he can understand her words with clarity and he could not help but wonder how much has she changed since they last met.

 

Twisting and turning down this road we go

Running to the forest where we can play all day

The sun shines so brightly on our country town

Someone’s always calling out your name

 

And when summer comes, see our shadows grow

Always know i will miss you so

Come and look up find the first star in the sky

I hope tomorrow will be sunny too

 

Her jolly song made him gently smile and he wishes his legs could go faster than this. Beside him, Jinhwan sings along, signalling their arrival. Jiwon realizes how amazing his voice is through the echoed run-down walls and there was a little tug to his chest knowing there is this unknown connection between her and him, that Jiwon could not join in.

 

Paprika when the flowers start to bloom

Put the seeds into your hands and throw them in the sky

Paprika we can make our dreams come alive

Rain or shine we’ll find a way to play again another day.

 

There she was, on the edge of an old dock, she sits facing the horizon. She was combing her wavy blonde hair when a beeping sound jolted her serene state. She realizes it was from the watch around her wrist and with a gleeful gasp of realization, she turns around to find the person she has wanted to meet again for so long.

 

She is still a sight to behold with those sharp teeth, misty eyes, gills that expand with every breath and a long scaled tail of yellow to orange gradients. Though they may look different, Jiwon knew they felt the same. "Bobby, Bobby!" Her webbed fingers tug on his ankle too strong that the male staggers and ultimately falls over the sea.

 

Plunged to the refreshing water, he feels her arms around him, pulling him back up to the surface so he can breathe, and there, the mermaid holds him in a tight embrace, her tail waving beneath to keep them afloat and her face nuzzling to the crook of his neck. "Ji... won, Jiwon! You've worked hard. Welcome back!"

 

"Lalisa, I..." It was the first time her lips have said his real name. Bewildered and overwhelmed, he gazes up to Jinhwan who sits on the edge of the dock, where the mermaid did earlier, a proud expression forming on his face.

 

"She practiced really hard to get our names right.Welcome back, man."

 

For a moment, his emotions rack up, making his lips quiver, his eyes blinking several times, and his chest squeezing painfully in a good way. He returns her embrace around her small waist and he whispers, "it's good to be back."

 

The wrist watch finally starts beeping.

 

Not for long, Jinhwan joins them. Finally, they're complete again. “Low-five, high five! Zero-up, zero-up! Knuckle punch, Pooow!”

.

 

 
 

 

 

With merely two months of summer vacation too, the three of them wasted no opportunity when it comes to spending time together. The days were spent on catching each other up and trying new adventures.

 

In the early mornings, Jiwon and Lalisa help Jinhwan in fishing. His red canoe remains useful and sturdy even to this day. With their teamwork, he could easily fill the wooden float with fishes to sell, enough to cover the expenses for his lola's medicines, and be able to save up for whatever future may bring. Jiwon was surprised that Jinhwan would bring Lalisa different flowers as a thank you. When he teases his best friend about it, the Jinhwan would explain that he sends fresh fishes to the mansion as a thank you too. “I can’t exactly give Lalisa some fish, you know.”

 

Right, Jiwon didn’t understand how it bothered him so.

 

On the days where they explore new spots to swim to, Jiwon brings new equipment such as goggles and flippers for him and the other male. This way, they could enjoy and appreciate the big corals and bright underwater sea creatures with ease. Jinhwan and Lalisa are quick to notice Jiwon's massive improvement when it comes to swimming and breathing techniques. Sheepishly, he confessed that he took swimming classes during the weekends for the past 10 months. "After last time, when I almost drowned Jinhwan while he was saving me, I—" to the corner of his eyes, he takes a glance at Jinhwan and sighs gravely just remembering that day. "I thought I could do something so that it may never happen again."

 

"Again!" Lalisa cheerfully says, barely listening to the conversation in the first place, and pulls the other two into the depths of the ocean where he'd show them one of the gigantic corals where she usually sleeps. Out of all of them, the mermaid has changed the most. Besides loving more sweet fruits from the dry lands, she has dramatically improved her understanding of their language. Her favorite entertainment these days would be Jinhwan and Jiwon's endless bickering. She has learned many human expressions too. Lalisa can tell if her friends are being sarcastic, hesitant, shy, mischievous and all others. She has the habit to repeat words a lot, whether it is for the sake of joking around or liking how it tickles . One time, Jiwon ends up saying a curse word accidentally, it took a lot of begging from the latter and exasperation from Jinhwan just to stop her from saying " Jinhwan!" With the most adorable and cheerful face.

 

On days when they can't join Lalisa to the beach for the purpose of preventing any suspicion or problems from other humans, Jinhwan and Jiwon would have sleepovers to the tallest tower of the latter's castle-like mansion and if Jinhwan's not buried in books, and Jiwon's not too deep in a computer game, they would search for Lalisa through a set of binoculars Junhee gave her son last christmas accordingly to his wish.

 

"If only there's a way we could be together without too many ty constraints." Jiwon blurts out once he sees Lalisa's golden tail beneath the moonlight through his binoculars. The mermaid waves a hand, her beautiful face wearing a reassuring smile. "Should we just buy an unowned island and live there? We can make a huge opening in the middle. Like a sea pool or something!"

 

Jinhwan leans his arms on the ledge of the opened windows and chuckles at the idea while he watches the sea at a distance too. "We should plant watermelons and papayas too. She loves those fruits too much."

 

"We can build you a mini-library for you, Jinhwan! Let's transfer all of the books here to our island and rebuild your bangka to a yacht!"

 

They tore their gazes away from the sea and to each other as they ended up laughing at the thought. "I'll have to sell all fishes in the entire world to make that happen." Jinhwan muses as he stares at his calloused hands filled with new cuts from gripping the rough and heavy nets all day.

 

"I'd say I can buy the whole island for us someday but my future's turning quite bleak. We have to keep moving farther away so dad's enemies won't find anything to smear his campaign." Jiwon turns his gaze to his bestfriend with a tired smirk. "Sometimes I feel like smearing him myself. Why must my mother and I be tossed and turned like this? Again."

 

Jinhwan could see pain so vividly for the first time after more than a month of returning and maybe it is because he did not want to worry Lalisa that's why he only becomes this vulnerable when it's the two of them. The smaller male places an arm over Jiwon's shoulder and pulls him close until the sides of their heads press against one another. "Don't give up just yet, Jiwon. Not yet. With or without the name or luxury of your dad, you are an amazing person. You will reach so far and gain so much... even if you have the tendency to count jack, queen, king and ace after 10."

 

"Yah." Jiwon glares at the older male's soft features but soon enough, he grins too. "So long as I have you and Lalisa, I will be fine."

 

"You will always have us." Jinhwan swore.

 

Jiwon wanted to believe his friend so badly but the gap of the time from when he's not present in Tapisan and to Jinhwan and Lalisa's lives, is slowly showing bit by bit. Sometimes, he would deliberately take himself out of the equation and he'd watch them both. The way they converse softly with each other, the way Jinhwan knows Lalisa's thoughts without so much asking, the way the mermaid would affectionately smile whenever he gives her flowers and teaches her new words... the way she is only drawn to Jinhwan's voice and not his from the very first place.

 

He didn't expect a time would come when he would find himself afraid of being left behind in this town too, and this— is his undoing.

 

 
 

 

 

With preparations for the festival coming up again, Jinhwan and Jiwon find themselves filled with tasks once more but they have changed plans this summer as not to keep their mermaid friend alone for too long.

 

“I’ll cover your tasks as much as I can. You can meet Lalisa without me.” Jinhwan says as he takes a hammer to help other people set up the massive floater to be paraded on the coming celebration.

 

“Are you sure? Won’t you miss meeting her?” Jiwon asks as he lays the coconut leaves down to the women who weave baskets out of them.

 

“I’m always with her. You don’t get to.” Jinhwan replies in a casual tone before giving Jiwon a reassuring smile. “Go on. You’re losing a lot of time!”

 

Condescending. The word formulates to his head as he makes his way to their rendezvous and the moment it did, he takes it back immediately. It isn’t Jinhwan’s fault that I can’t be here and feelings grow. That’s normal.

 

Upon arriving at the edge of the old dock, Lalisa resurfaces with a cheeky smile, her tail wiggling from one side to another. “Look, Jiwon!” She shows him a blue starfish and he crouches down, marveling at the color.

 

“Whoa, are there many of these here?” He gazed up at her and was surprised to see her up so close. She nods her head and points a bit farther from the right.

 

“Swim with me?” She asks in a cheerful and gentle voice while placing the starfish on the top of her head. Unknowingly, the male extends his hand to tuck her wet hair to her ear and she giggles; nuzzling her cheek to his touch.

 

What about you, Lalisa? Who do you feel for?

 

For that week, the two of them shared a lot of time together. Without Jinhwan who often tells them to behave when it gets too much, they were left to be more adventurous and playful than usual. They play board games when they can, he introduces her to what a phone is and how it works, and for the first time, he managed to reach her center stone without the other male’s canoe. He has learned new things about her, the small things that he couldn’t ask before because of the language barrier. Lalisa tells her about her pod, the huge clam that she sleeps in and how fascinating and terrifying big ships are for her. For the first time, he was allowed to caress her tail and feel it. Jiwon was amazed by how strong her lower half felt and how beautiful it is even more up close.

 

He takes every opportunity to be closer to her to the point that he doesn’t follow Jinhwan’s schedule anymore. He visits her everyday and brings her new flowers that she clearly enjoys just like how the other did. There are moments when she’s so giddy she would throw her arms around the male and when he would stare at her closely just a little longer, the mermaid’s cheeks would flush and her lips smile in what he guesses is a shy one.

 

Who do you feel for, Lalisa?

 

By the time the festival has finally commenced and a week has passed, Jinhwan and Jiwon made plans to join the celebration tomorrow and by midnight, they’ll meet up together with Lalisa in the usual dock by the old factory. But with the mere fact that it was his last day in this town, for some reason, he wanted to see Lalisa all on his own again. Jiwon takes a deep breath and slaps himself to wake his senses up. The sting prickles his skin but the temptation remains the same.

 

 

 

 

 

Tomorrow arrived and just like the rest of the people in the town, Jinhwan and Rosa dressed the best they can and proceeded to the church hall. All the hardwork has finally come to fruition. The lights and floaters are up, there were people in their native costumes, dancing to old instruments and fireworks blasted through the night skies. By the time Jinhwan finds Junhee in one of the local stores, he is surprised to see her alone.

 

"Auntie Junhee, is Jiwon not with you?" He asks as he cranes his neck over many other people, after Rosa and Junhee greets each other.

 

Junhee was equally surprised. “He said he’ll be meeting you before catching up to me."

 

“He might just be lost. We haven't seen him yet." Rosa interjects as she pats the younger female's arm. "My neighbors have been rambling about you saying you are leaving right after tonight is something wrong, hija?"

 

"Ah," Junhee's smile has turned somber and Jinhwan could not help but feel this ever growing worry. "It's Jiwon's father… he told us his enemies have been digging more about him. So he asked us to stay low for awhile. My son is not taking it so well..."

 

"He's doing it again. I'm telling you, that man is no good and you are better off—" Rosa grumbles but does not say anymore as she pulls the female to a tight hug. Junhee gives in to her comfort as she returns the embrace.

 

The music suddenly blares and the host for the night tells everyone to gather around for the event to start and Jinhwan sets his eyes to the numerous people around. Where are you, Jiwon?

 

 
 

 

 

“Where is Jinhwan?” Was Lalisa's first question as she raises her hands up and Jiwon holds them both, heaving her up so they can sit side by side on that dock.

 

"He will be here later on. You're stuck with me for awhile." He replies as he leans back with his hands pressed on the platform behind him. "Do you miss, Jinhwan?"

 

"Mmh, yes." The mermaid scrunches her nose and plays with her hair to hide her shyness away. "We… always together so, hm, I miss him… easily."

 

"I see." Jiwon steals a glance at her before staring up to the moon, a defeated sigh escaping his lips. "I'm leaving tomorrow, Lalisa. Will you miss me too?"

 

Alarmed by the sudden confession, the mermaid turns her head towards him. "Tomorrow? Already?!" She knew it was bound to happen. With the opening of the festival, it only means he'll be going soon but the last time they talked, he promised he'd stay a week more. "Why tomorrow?"

 

"Bad things have happened and I think it will keep on happening. But hey, I'll try my best to be here next summer, okay?" He smiles, just like always. He takes her hand to adjust the alarm of his watch that she still wears to this day only to realize that he didn't know which date will he be coming back anymore.

 

Suddenly, Lisa tugs her wrist free and throws her arms around the male, squeezing her tight. Like always, her strong force knocks him off and they end up laying on that run-down dock. Jiwon groans from the impact; his eyes gazing to the stars above while Lisa presses her ear to his chest, listening to his heart.

 

"Jiwon… in pain?" She asks, as she heaves herself, her face, just a hair's breadth away from his. Blessed by the moon, her human-like features mask her true form though her sorrowful expression remains true and pure.

 

"I'm just a bit tired." He whispers as he reaches up to caress her face.

 

"Rest! I'll take care… everything!" Maybe because the mermaid knows her words bear no weight, and that the problems the dry lands give her friends were out of reach for her, tears stream down her cheeks.

 

"Yah, Jinhwan will kill me for making you cry, Lalisa!" He chuckles and hushes her gently, pulling her down until their foreheads press to one another. But the tears won't stop because it's the only thing she can do— cry for the young man who can't do so. "Stop crying for me. I will be fine." He murmurs with a nuzzle to the mermaid's nose.

 

"But when will Lalisa see you again? I want.. to know." She softly sobs; droplets of her tears falling on to the man's cheeks. "Ten full moons? Eleven? Fifteen? I… wait. I will wait."

 

"Why are you so adorable? Jiwon takes in another shaky breath and on the spur of the moment, at the height of feeling numb and so much at the same time, he clings on to her, silently begging not to abandon him too. His hand moves to her nape, the other cups her cheek, and with a tilt of her own head, his lips press to her softly and unwaveringly. Jiwon could feel her stiffening in surprise but with the comfort of his warm lips, her shoulders slowly relax, her eyes close and she lets him kiss her the first time. He pulls away the slightest soon after to tell her, "I love you."

 

"I... too," she responds and he knew right off the bat that if Jinhwan were here to tell her the same words, she'd respond to it the same way too.

 

"Lalisa… why don't you come with me?" He slowly sits up along with her and he watches her tear-stained face ponder over his words. "We can be together. You can stay with me or Jinhwan… you can visit either of us anytime you want. You don't have to be alone anymore. We will help you adjust here— as a human being!"

 

"Human.. me?" Lalisa watches the moon above, her heart racing over this option. For the first time, she is not the only one yearning to choose this path. It must be the right one then? "Jinhwan… not agree. Me...human," she reasons, raising her golden tail to the air and plunging it back to the waters.

 

"Jinhwan worries too much of what happens after." Jiwon counters. "But you and I know he wants you with us just as much too. Besides… I don't know when I will return here, really."

 

Jiwon could see the sadness flash to her face and he knew she was slowly being convinced. This is right. It makes sense. He tells himself knowing Jinhwan wholeheartedly disagrees with this choice but the very fact that he does only strengthens Jiwon's desire to pursue it.

 

Why do I want to contradict you so badly, Jinhwan?

 

"I'll do it."

 

His head whips to the female's side and to his horror, she digs her fingernail to her wrist. Deep crimson blood flows to her pale skin and she cries out in pain. "Lalisa, what are you doing!"

 

"Human… me… human."

 
 
 
 
 
Author's Note : One more chapter left! Thank you for sticking through this story! Comments and possible upvotes are greatly appreciated. ^_^