1st.

Luna's Lullaby
 
 
 
chapter one
A song to listen to while reading: Spirits of the Sea
 
 
 

Miles and miles away from bustling cities, a 15-year old boy named Jinhwan sits on a tattered bus stop, waiting for the next vehicle to pass the rusty welcoming sign of their remote town, in hopes that it would bring his best friend along with it.

 

Welcome to Barangay Tapisan. For the past two hours, he had been watching the white sign across the wide road and had counted everything that had passed by it; five motorcycles, two yellow buses, three cranky taxis and a wandering goat. When there was nothing to count anymore, he filled his waiting time by filling in his pocket notebook with his own thoughts.

 

In this old town, everything has changed,

Yet I am always here.

 

I have grown taller inch by inch,

And I have seen people come and go.

But I am still here,

Unmoving.

 

Summer arrives once more.

The season brings warmth.

The season brings you to me.

 

There’s nothing more to write…

Where are you?

 

“Where are you?” He repeated his written words aloud with a huff. His legs swing to and fro while his brown eyes cast upwards, watching the deep blue sky and the white puffy clouds that form many things. “A cat!” He says, pointing to the four-legged cloud and the cicadas’s buzzing, the rustling of the leaves and sunflowers behind him brought by the summer breeze, may have all agreed to him.

 

“Jinhwan, Jinhwan! Do you see that cat!”

 

Jinhwan snaps his gaze back to the road and there, his friend along with his dear mother appears before him right after the fourth yellow bus rolls its wheels away. The friend has grown taller again but he still wears the same smile that makes his eyes almost disappear. He crosses the street, holding his mother’s hand on the right and his left, proudly points at the same sky Jinhwan was looking at.

 

Swinging his legs to jump off of the bench, he lands on his feet and with a wave of his arms, he calls out, “Took you long enough! Welcome back, Jiwon.”

 

“It’s good to be back!” The boy named Jiwon cheerfully says and the both of them immediately do their favorite handshake. “Low-five, high five! Zero-up, zero-up! Knuckle punch, Pooow!”

 

A soft melodic chuckle could be heard from Jiwon’s mother as she ruffled both of the boys’ hair. “You two together are always a sight for sore eyes.”

 

“Auntie Junhee, hello!” Jinhwan pays his respects to Jiwon’s mom by taking her hand and pressing the back of it to his forehead.

 

“Bless you, dear child.” She responds with a fond caress on the male’s cheek. At the age of 36, Jiwon’s mother remains lovely and vibrant as ever with soft watchful eyes, a thin frame and a knack of good taste for long summer dresses. Though they do not share the same blood, Junhee, to Jinhwan, had always been like his own mother too.

 

“Ma, I’m going to the beach with Jinhwan!” Jiwon energetically declares while he carries their bags to one of the green tricycles, which are the main transportation means in Tapisan. “Is it okay? I want to say hello to Jinhwan’s lola!”

 

The curious drivers of the motorized sidecars lining up along with a few street vendors, peer over the newcomers and upon seeing the familiar faces, they greet Junhee and Jinhwan like old friends.

 

“The city prince is back!”

“You have grown a lot, boy!”

“Junhee langga, it’s good to see you so healthy!”

 

Jinhwan chuckles as he watches the town folks gather around them. City people always spark curiosity, gossip, and freshness in this remote place, and Junhee and Jinhwan are known for always returning every summer. That, and the fact they are staying at the biggest and most beautiful mansion around the eastern side of Tapisan. It had two flowers, three towers, a fountain, and a dock facing the sea.

 

How are you even friends with someone that rich? How did you do it! Jinhwan recalls such questions around and every time, he merely points at Jiwon and tells them it’s because they both love this place.

 

“Jinhwan, please watch over Jiwon for me.” He hears Junhee who is already riding the tricycle. She points to the rustling sunflower field, making Jinhwan frown as his bestfriend mischievously starts another race without him.

 

“Don’t worry, auntie!” He bade her goodbye with a waving arm, and off she went.

 

“Winner gets to dare the loser!” The high-pitched voice of Jiwon grows farther by the second and Jinhwan rolls his eyes dismissively but as he slips through the flowery field, he spared no strength to catch up.

 

The race began. Summer is finally here.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Through the tall sunflowers, his feet padded through the loose ground. Wind sweeps his short hair back and leaves sharply graze his face when he passes, making him wince just the slightest. Above, a bird with wide wings glides across the spacious atmosphere, as if it owned the heavens, and mimicking that certain pride for his turf, Jinhwan runs even faster.

 

“You won’t catch up!” He hears Jiwon taunting somewhere on the far right.

 

A boyish grin etches on his lips, as his heel takes a quick angling and he cuts his losses through that direction. “But I already did!” Jinhwan gasps the words after a few seconds and through the passing stems of the yellow flowers, Jiwon’s gaze locks on his.

 

By the time they got out of the field, a winding path came after where tall coconut trees were looming over them; they were panting, sweating, and their lungs ached for air, and in that exhausted state they both felt beyond alive.

 

Jiwon makes a loud, hoarse and gleeful cry and even when his legs begin to wobble, he still shoots Jinhwan a challenging smirk “I… won’t… let you get ahead of me!” He threw himself to the coastline; stumbling down until his body greeted the refreshing salty water brought by the rolling waves.

 

“I win!” He kneels up, raised his arms to the sky and guffawed in victory, before coughing out the seawater that reached his mouth.

 

Jinhwan could barely talk as he paused right in front of his friend; his own hands falling to his knees as he tried to catch his breath.

 

“It’s still so beautiful.” Jiwon listens to the low rumble of the waves, watches the golden glow of the sinking sun and he sighs in the name of serenity. “Nothing much has changed here, wow.” His eyes wander around Jinhwan’s hometown and it was then that he finds a distinct outrigger canoe, lining among many others. “Wow, who owns that bangka?” He points ahead to the smaller fishing canoe, uniquely painted in red and black.

 

“Ah,” Jinhwan’s eyes light up in excitement at the mention of his first owned canoe. “It’s mine. Lola and I made it together! The townsfolk helped me too from time to time.”

 

“Lola Rosa is so cool as always!” Jiwon sprung and ran towards the boat, with eyes wide in amazement. He studies the wood placements, the skewed nails that Jinhwan probably caused, the smooth paint and the carved paddles in black and red. "Have you tried riding it?"

 

"Without Lola Rosa? No, not yet." Jinhwan takes the black paddle and lets the other male hold it. "I was waiting for my partner, actually. What do you say we give her a visit? She's fishing at the moment."

 

Jiwon cackles and nods immediately, "you mean we'll get to see the best fisherwoman in action? Let's do it!"

 

Meeting Jinhwan's grandmother had always been one of Jiwon's highlights during vacation time. Even with her age, she is playful and venturous. Her white hair and wrinkled face could never mask the light in her eyes. She has expert hands that can make the best nets, and hard-earned experiences in sailing and fishing. She had lots of stories to tell, and always insisted that she had met Luna during her days and the city boy never gets tired of it. Although he doesn't believe in mermaids anymore, her stories rejuvenate his love and appreciation for the sea.

 

"The sea is a blessing. With the right tools and respect to its spirits, anyone is welcomed and anyone can survive. You two remember that!"

 

With Rosa’s blessing, they scour the seas whenever the weather favors them. There is a certain thrill that can only be sought when no adult watches over them and they don't shy away from enjoying it. Jiwon is conclusively not an expert in understanding the currents but with the other boy’s guidance, they are able to row smoothly along the coastline. In early mornings, they would join Rosa in fishing and every catch was like a victory on its own. They thank Luna in every successful sail and slowly, they grow accustomed to Jinhwan’s canoe.

 

Everything would have been alright, but sometimes, being too comfortable has its downfall and for the two boys, it started when Jiwon suggested to take the canoe way earlier than their usual mornings. “Don’t you think it’d be exciting if it’s just us two out there?” The rush of the haunting but enchanting image of the dark sea and the barely rising sun, made him feel this rush of excitement that can only be felt in taking risks. Jiwon likes risks.

 

Jinhwan remains hesitant though he is equally tempted. Is it safe? Are they ready? Such questions spiral in his mind.

 

“Do you fear Luna?” his friend suddenly asks in taunting stone. It was a bait, but Jinhwan bites on it, regardless. “No, I don’t.”

 

So the following day, when her grandmother lay asleep in the comfort of their small house, Jinhwan rose and went to the beach alone. It is quiet and still so dark. Even the sand beneath his feet is cold. No birds chirp or glide up to the dark blue skies, and the only thing he could hear is the sweeping wind and the rolling waves of the sea. His heart raced and he clutched his chest. What is this excitement that I feel? He wonders. Is it because I am alone? Is it because the only thing alive right now are the waters and I? Am I yearning for the sea?

 

Jinhwan pushed his canoe further to the waters before riding it. With one paddle prodded on the sand, he pushed on it until the wooden boat now stayed afloat. The answer is yes. To all of those.

 

The plan was to row towards the east and meet Jiwon on the dock of his mansion. It was a long row and if it weren’t for the calm seas, Jinhwan would have probably reached him with the sun high and mighty in contrast to their early wish. “Thank you Luna, for the sea welcomes me so.” He mutters to himself out of habit. With the haunting presence of the sleeping town beside him, he fills it with a little song as he continues to head towards his friend's castle.

 

The door is open, no one is inside.

Just a chair that smells of the ocean breeze

Its scent will guide you, so I’ll keep it safe.

I just hope we don’t forget where our story starts.

 

We met the night the stars fell

Into my memory forever more

The most important thing needs no words

A gift left from those summer days.

 

Shimmering bright in front me,

I saw the spirits of the sea.

 

He travels past the many houses, across the runes of an old factory and finally, there he is, Jiwon, waving his hand with a smile that can light up anything. He jumps high and many times on the edge of the dock and when the red canoe finally stops before him, his whispers erratically in amazement. “You really did it! You managed to reach here all by yourself! Way to go Jinhwan!”

 

Jinhwan can only smile to the other’s praise; his heart still beating wildly to his ribcage. Once the city boy finally joins him to his canoe, they row forth deeper, and farther, as promised. They wanted risk, they wanted to spook themselves and they filled the tranquil sea with hushed chuckles and excited whispers. With just a few minutes pass, the town has become distant and small, and they continue to push themselves by rowing further.

 

"We might reach Atlantis at this point" Jiwon whispers as he leans his head on the edge of the canoe. Every trickle of water whenever Jinhwan rows are carefully taken by their ears, their eyes could see nothing but darkness and the growing fog around is not helping.

 

In the scorching evening sun

Treetops see the boats off

Whispering songs

And scattering petals

 

"What a soulful song in such a dire place." Jiwon teases, his finger dipping to the cool water.

 

Then came a strong splash from a supposedly calm water, their gazes locked, their eyes almost screamed of wanting to go home. But there is enjoyment and euphoria from that, and so they pressed onwards.

 

“Probably just a flipping tuna.” Jinhwan reassured.

 

“C-continue the song, Jinhwan! Cheer our shaking spirits up.” Jiwon whispers which made the other bite back a chuckle.

 

“So you admit that you are afraid? That’s a first!”

 

“Do it before I start screaming here!” The other egged on in a hurried whisper, still clearly shaken by that strong splash. Jinhwan sighs and settles his paddle to his lap and to the horizon, where the sun’s rays are slowly rising,

 

Somewhere out there,

I can hear you laugh

And I can feel the warmth of your cheeks

Once you get past that winding road,

Your eyes will open and you will see.

 

The song never got to reach its second verse. Everything that happened after was so fast that Jinhwan could barely grasp it. He hears a stronger splash, a scream and suddenly he sees Jiwon backing away until he falls into the cold water. The boat sways heavily and as Jinhwan scrambles up to grab for his friend, it topples over, and he is thrown off to the sea too.

 

Jinhwan ends up taking in the salty water too and his body tenses at the coldness embracing him, he resurfaces and even with the blue sky, the heavy fog hinders him from seeing clearly. There were constant splashing and screaming that could only be from Jiwon and immediately, he followed the sound. He didn't understand why Jiwon feared when he knew how to swim. He closes the space between them and makes a grab for his friend, while trying to reassure him that everything is fine. "Calm down! Just hold on to me!" It was easy. This should be easy but Jiwon does not calm down and he did hold on. Tightly. Strongly.

 

"Stop flailing!" Jinhwan screamed as the other boy kept yelling for help and of fear. Jiwon was clutching and pushing himself up and the other submerged.

 

This is why his grandma always told him to be careful. Learning how to swim does not equate to learning how to save a life. Normally, he could last long if he held his breath, but the urgency didn't even give him time to take a lungful of oxygen. At this point, they're both going to drown. He can just tear himself away from his panicking friend but what becomes of the latter?

 

Someone... help us...

 

There goes his last breath. His lungs were on fire and his survival instinct tells him to push away, but Jiwon's grip is strong. He thrashes his legs but it does not reach anything. He was losing strength and he was about to give in. To let go.

 

All of a sudden, a strong current pushes Jiwon away, and Jihwan feels a strong force around his gut which makes him immediately resurface. Dark blue sky greets him while he coughs and gasps. Wisps of the cold morning air wake his lungs. His eyes, blurry and sore, look around at what just happened. He could barely see anything, not their town, nor his red boat, thanks to the horrible fog, but there was a strong thudding sound and a splash and upon whipping his head towards the directions, it was as if his whole system shuts down out of disbelief.

 

Two huge translucent fins, each matching the size of his head, if not more, connected to a tail of a scaly fish of dandelion hues. It rises from the depths of the sea and quickly splashes back. His heart lurched at the sight. It was huge and he is still in the waters.

 

There is silence for a moment, even a needle dropping can be heard and as Jinhwan tries to remain afloat by weakly moving his legs and arms, he didn't know which one was more frightening, the silence or the blood-curdling scream of his friend that came after.

 

"Jiwon, hang in there, I'm coming!" He says as he swam towards his voice.

 

"Don't come here, run away!"

 

"There’s nowhere to run!" Despite his warning, Jinhwan swam towards where the voice was coming from, and gradually, he saw the striking red wood. When he grabs for the boat, he sees Jiwon, drenched in saltwater laying down and hiding inside it. The moment he sees Jinhwan, however, they work together to bring him back up.

 

They look at each other for one moment and Jiwon bursts out in tears, his face scrunching and his shoulders shaking. I'm sorry, Jinhwan! I'm sorry, man! I almost drowned you...I didn’t know what I was doing! I was scared of the—"

 

They hear another splash close by and their eyes widen as they look around. "Jiwon... how did you get to the boat again?"

 

The question rattled him and immediately, his shaking fingers grabbed for the paddles and handed one to Jinhwan. “Let’s get out of here! Let’s get out of here! Let’s get out of here!” He stabs the water with the paddle; his rowing all wrong and useless.

 

Jinhwan ripped it away from his grip and held both paddles properly. He looks around, not knowing which direction is home. “I don’t know where to go!”

 

“Anywhere but here! Just move!” Jiwon screams back and Jinhwan tries his best to move forward. He didn’t know what was wrong, but he suddenly couldn't get the boat from moving.

 

"Hinto... hinto!" A small hushed voice seemingly from a woman echoes from the waters, telling them to stop but for whatever purpose did this voice ask it so, it only made the two scream and even further attempt to row forward.

 

Then there she is. There was a loud screech and a creature surfaces before them. It had dull golden misty eyes, long blonde hair, gills to the side of her neck and webbed ears that stretch upwards. She curls her lips upwards, showing her sharp teeth and as she lunged and grabbed for the tip of the canoe with long triangular nails, they could see her hips extending to a scaled tail.

 

Jinhwan could only stare at her in utter fascination while his friend screams behind him, and from that grippling emotion, his tears streamed down to his cheeks. The creature pointed towards them with her webbed fingers and gripping his black paddle, he maneuvers to face the opposite way where he sees Jiwon’s pale face. “Jiwon, hold tight!”

 

Whatever sense that’s left of Jiwon follows his instructions and with a strong force, they were pushed towards that direction, a force enough for Jinhwan to have the momentum to row with ease. He rowed until his arms ached. He rowed until the misty air cleared out. He rowed until the both of them saw Jinhwan's grandmother by the beach, pacing calmly as she a;ways does every morning.

 

"Lolaaa!" They both called out and once it was shallow enough, they jumped off the canoe and hugged the old lady, their faces buried to her shoulders.

 

Unfazed by the mortified expression of the younger ones, Rosa caress their backs gently and comfortingly. "Welcome back, children. You both look spooked. Did Luna finally visit?" She asks with a hint of playfulness to her cheerful voice.

 

"W-we saw one, Lola Rosa!" Jiwon responded with quivering lips and bulging eyes. "We saw a serena just now!"

 

Her gaze hardens as she looks ahead. Her grandson tightens his arm around the old woman and she soothes him with a squeeze of her own. “Another lost one, maybe?” She murmurs to herself as she guides the young ones back to their humble home.

 

"It saved us." Jinhwan sobs as he stumbles to the sandy path. "The serena brought Jiwon back to my bangka and directed us to the right path."

 

"Oh," Rosa's smile softens as she gives him a little squeeze around the shoulder. "Then it must have been a kind serena. Listen, you two, do not seek for her again. We have hurt Luna over the years, let her be the last."

 

 

 

 

 
 

A week has passed in the town of Tapisan and the days rolled by seamlessly. The two friends spoke no more of what they saw that day. They had a silent agreement to themselves to enjoy the vacation like how they usually do. They visit the woods and climb trees, collect fruits and firewood for Jinhwan and Rosa's cooking needs. They visit the mansion where Jiwon and his mother live, and Jinhwan gets to happily explore the many books in their mini-library. At night, they visit the town's esplanade, where they rent bicycles for an hour. They race around the waterfront and eat cheap cotton candies and popcorns found at the side of the street.

 

It was fun. They had fun, and if not for the growing fact that they have been deliberately ignoring the wide sea just meters away from Jinhwan's house, they would have been fine. But they are sea lovers. Everyone in the town is, and no one can simply forget an encounter with an actual mermaid. One night, when the two had a sleepover in Jiwon’s house, it was him that finally bursted them out of their safe bubble.

 

“Let’s try to find her again!"

 

Jinhwan stared at him incredulously after tearing his eyes away from the book that he just borrowed. "Lola said we shouldn't. Didn't you listen?"

 

"I did. Why else am I trying to convince you while we are here away from her?” Jiwon replies as he joins the other mail on the bed, sitting beside him. "Listen, I can't stop thinking about it...of her. You were right, she saved me… she saved us, Jinhwan. I want to say thank you to her!"

 

Jinhwan wanted to do that too, but there is a long list of tales of attempts in meeting creatures unlike them and they all get a bad ending. "Lola said it's better for serenas not to be discovered, remember? Humans have hurt them enough."

 

"You and I are not like the rest! We would never hurt her!" Jiwon snapped and the two of them glared at each other for a second before Jinhwan attempted to add a word in only to hesitate and sigh exasperatedly. "What is it? You're hiding something!"

 

The boy in question grudgingly slips his hands underneath Jiwon’s mattress where he pulls numerous notes of his own and books about mermaids borrowed from the mansion’s library. Jiwon gasps as he stares at the drawings and scribbles made by his friend. "This is why you were lurking in that dusty room instead of playing that new game with me! You can't get her off your mind too!"

 

"Who would forget so easily?" Jinhwan replies defensively as he opens a page of a book, showing an inked-drawing of mermaids. "This book says mermaids have pods or a group and they travel together, take care of each other… like a family. I can't help but wonder… if that serena has a pod and if not..."

 

"Then she probably got lost somehow? We need to try and help." Jiwon insists.

 

“How do you expect to lure her in, exactly? Mermaids don’t exactly show themselves that easily.”

 

“Hey, I’m not the one who read the books! But, well... you're not the only one who has been trying to figure things out... I was thinking if we sing to her she will show up.” Jiwon watches his friend pause for a long time, “Hear me out! It was the last thing you did while I was merely looking around the waters. Nothing was approaching us for the longest time we were there but when you sang, she swam near us. It has to be that!

 

Jinhwan rolled over the bed and watched the ceiling filled with carved shapes of big waves. “I hear you. We can't hide away from the sea forever. But I’m still not sure...”

 

“I’m going… with or without you.” Jiwon determinedly says so as he peers down at his friend.

 

“You don’t know how to row, Jiwon.”

 

“A fisherman can take me! Manong Bernie will go with me!” Referring to the drunk man that watches a little store near the bus stop. “I can pay him with my savings.”

 

“The fisherman will be there, you idiot! What if he'd harm her?” Jinhwan snaps with a tug of the other’s pajamas to which Jiwon grabs for the other’s wrist too.

 

“Then stop hesitating and come with me, instead!”

 

Their gazes lock for many seconds until the smaller male gives in. Why do I run away, anyway? “Fine, but we do it tomorrow. At night. Full moon, and we will discuss how we will find her or approach her.”

 

Jiwon grins widely and nods his head enthusiastically. “I’m ready to hear your plans. You’re the brains of this duo, afterall. You’re the brains. I’m the muscle.”

 

“Jiwon, I row the boat too..”

 

“Shut up!”

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

She sits on a massive stone that pokes in the middle of the sea and stares at the pearly moon, barely peeking behind the dark gray clouds.

 

How do you do? She asks with a smile, as she basks in the night’s serenity.

 

From afar men are searching the waters for what it can give. Fishes, seaweeds, seashells, and sadly, even trash that they throw themselves. She watches them heave the heavy net filled with floundering fishes and hear them cheer for a great catch.

 

With Luna we are blessed.

 

Just another normal night, it is. But then, she hears that song again and that disarming and gentle voice of a particular human. They have returned. From the other side, away from the fishermen and to the side where she exposes herself, she watches them approach her. I must swim away. She tells herself and her body jerks towards the sea only for her nails to grip the stony path. For what reason does she stay? That voice lures me.

 

It's raining, it's pouring,

T he moon's hiding away

I think I can hear someone crying in the shade

Don't worry, I promise, there's no need to be afraid,

Someone's calling out your name.

 

Merfolks have whispered about being able to tempt humans with a mere lullaby but no one has told her about humans being able to do the same. What makes this lad special?

 

Come and count with me the all the happy things

So much joy you always bring.

Now it's time to go, I'll see you tomorrow,

Memories will light the way back home.

 

At night, the tales of every man becomes true. For when a mermaid basks under the ghostly glow of the moon, it shows what humans perceive is utmost beautiful. Gone are her gills on the side of her neck and the webs on her fingers and ears. The misty clouds in her eyes are replaced with dilated pupils. Half-human, as the stories say. It is nothing but an illusion, her reflection on the sea would affirm this so. Stories have told her that the vicious ones of her kind use this along with their enchanting voices to lure fishermen off their boats. When the two familiar men saw her the second time, the reaction was as expected.

 

"Whoa," completely enamored by her beauty, Jiwon could only look at her.

 

Humans are dangerous creatures. Swim away before they catch you and tear you in half. Swim away! The voice of her mother rings into her mind and she dives back in.

 

“No, no, no, please don’t go! Jinhwan, sing to her again!” Jiwon jabbed his best friend to the side but the latter merely looked at the, as if he's in a trance . “Hinto!” Jiwon managed to scream out his lungs in a desperate attempt to make the mermaid stay— and she did, poking only half of her head to the surface.

 

She could not understand his words except for the last one as many fishermen have used the word whenever she observes them. The man must have figured this so suddenly, he dips himself into the water. She can’t help but be intrigued. This was the same one who paled and screamed upon seeing her the first time. Is the illusion that draws him so?

 

She watches the man raise his arms and wiggle his body. “Jinhwan, twirl me around! Stop gaping at her and help me!”

 

The owner of that luring voice held the hands of the one in the sea and helped him twirl around in that state.

 

Thank you? Do you mean thank you? She giggles quite boisterously. These young humans looked too silly for her at the moment.

 

The two watch in fascination as the mermaid looks at them and does the twirl perfectly.

 

Suddenly, a flashlight from a particular fisherman turns their way and she quickly hides herself to the stone immediately. She looks back to the two boys and they were alarmed by the sound of a distant person too. They gesture for her to go and hide, and she can’t help but be bewildered of this occurrence.

 

Mother, are all of them indeed evil?

 

She too, twirls the same way like the man did once more, before swimming to the very depths of the sea, her fins splashing before finally disappearing.

 

The high tide caused by the full moon that night was not as friendly as their mornings. Huge waves roll towards the coast line, rumbling and crashing to the gray sand before returning to their depths. While it is important to remain cautious and observant, for the most part, the two young men row towards home in a complete daze from their second encounter with the mystical creature.

 

"Did you see her smile when we did that twirl, Jinhwan? Man, she's damn beautiful. Does she appear like that every night? I wonder." Jiwon asks and sighs dreamily, letting himself lean back to lay on the wooden canoe; his head on his friend's lap. "Those books are right. She understood our gesture-- are you crying?" He suddenly asks, alarmed to see the smaller male rubbing his eyes with the back of his hand.

 

There is this overwhelming and surging emotion that rushes into Jinhwan’s system. As if a void within him begs to be filled. I yearn for the sea. "I'm just... bewildered. They really are still out there."

 

"Do you think we can get to make her show up again?" Jiwon wonders as he remembers her childlike smile.

 

"We haven't figured out if she really lost her pod. I hope we can." Jinhwan places his forefingers to the temples of his friend and the other whines, saying he'd get up already.

 

The two of them head to their respective homes, their minds and hearts left floating to the sea.

 
 
 
Author's Note : Many thanks for reading! Comments and feedback are higly, highly appreciated!