2nd.

Luna's Lullaby
 
 
 
chapter two
a song to listen to while reading. it has two versions! Paprika I, Paprika II
 
 
 

 

Many of the merfolk travel by pods, which is a group of mermaids and mermen, usually consisting of 2-15 of them. They travel together and help each other when it comes to hunting and defending.

 

 
 

 

 

I am not one to ask blessings to the moon above. I yearn for change and for a purpose. The things I desire, I do not pray for them I work for them. I will swim against the currents, if need be. Now I am here, alone. Away from my kin, but this, too, is a part of a grander plan. Someday I shall be filled with so much life that I could no longer ask for more.

 

For the longest that she can remember, her parents have always told her that humans are inherently evil. Humans poison their homes, they always take more than they need, and their curiosity breeds greed of a kind that is not to be trifled with.

 

Her mother never lets her anywhere close to the outer surface of the ocean, and his father would rather choose to battle the most gigantic predators than seek shelter to the shallow waters.

 

They are vicious. They are selfish. She believed those warnings, she really did, and she has been successful in heeding their words for so long, even when she now explores their world alone.

 

But then one morning, a voice of a human resonates to the very depths of the sea. The song filled her with life, of somberness, contentment and happiness. Not before long, she found her body rolling along the current, her eyes closed in bliss, and her lips etched with a serene smile. Oh mother, how can this song be evil?

 

Before long, she's already circling that little crimson canoe and before she can even snap away from the trance-like voice, just as she opens her eyes, it was the other human’s mystified and frightened gaze that welcome her. He screamed, backed away and plunged to the other side of the canoe.

 

If there's anything quite amusing from her first encounter with another species, it'd probably be the fact that they feared her as much as she was to them.

 

Now she sits on her favorite rock, the only one high enough for her to watch the slow sunrise. Her blonde hair is drawn to one shoulder with her fingers combing them absentmindedly. It has been three days since the second encounter. Will they see each other today, she wonders. But is it right to wonder?

 

I might have to leave this sea section soon. They will return it is not safe. She tells herself and yet she remembers that silly gesture of gratitude that they did last time and she finds herself giggling again. Oh father, are all of them harmful indeed?

 

She softly hums to the uplifting tune of the song from that unknown boy, and under the warmth of the sun and the sparkling sea before her, she smiles and bops her head along with the melody. Just as she does so, the wind brings the familiar high voice, singing the same tune.

 

Quickly, she hid herself even more and took a quick peek towards the small town. From a distance, the small figure of the crimson boat, carrying one boy who stands to his feet and enthusiastically waves his hand, and another male who sings and uses wooden tools to row that floating container that humans use to cross seas.

 

They halt at least two meters away from her and for a moment, the three of them merely exchange looks to one another. This is not right, these are humans. Why am I still here? She scolds herself. The mermaid remains guarded, her long flukes flip up, showcasing her beautiful tail of yellow, gold and orange gradients, making sure that she can heave herself for a perfect dive, should she need to swim away.

 

One of the boys beams, a seemingly friendly smile in response. "Hi! Hello!" He tries with a wave of his hand. She could not understand so she merely tilts her head to one side. The same man scrambles to open a container made of black cloth and offers her something she is not quite knowledgeable of. "It's a watermelon. Wa. Ter. Me. Lon."

 

The mermaid squints her eyes in confusion. It seems to look like some sort of plant or fruit. It had a bright red triangular top and a green layer at the bottom.

 

"Eat it, Jiwon. Eat it so she'll know what it is." The one controlling the crimson floater instructed. She didn't exactly understand what he said but the earlier boy took a bite of the piece he offered and took another piece to give her.

 

Slowly and carefully, she leans forward as well, taking the piece with her webbed fingers. I mustn't believe them. But mother, he ate it too. It must be safe! She curls her lips back, showing sharp teeth and she bites to the very tip. Subtly crunchy and crumbly, it is definitely new to her. With a bigger bite, she observes that most of its flesh was made of water. Sweet water. Oh. The mermaid paused, as if she were suddenly turned to stone.

 

"Wh-what's happening, Jinhwan? Are serenas allergic to watermelons is she okay?" The one who gave the piece was panicking as he shook his friend around the shoulders.

 

"No, no! I don't think so. I think she's just adjusting to the taste. There aren't very sweet flavors in the ocean... I think. Watch!" And they turn silent again as they did watch her take a bigger bite, eating all that's left of the piece in one go.

 

"Uh oh, oh no, I should have told the maid to take away the green parts! She's ate everything!" The same man who gave the watermelon piece delves his hands deeper to the black container where he pulls out a whole transparent case full of these watermelon pieces.

 

Her flukes wiggle excitedly and she dives to the cool water, taking piece after piece of watermelons, while she happily swims around them. Oh my dear siblings, is you are only here to share these with me! The sweetness melts and spreads to my tongue perfectly. There is nothing like it!

 

"Damn, she seems to really like it! I'm a genius after all!"

 

"Please, the books hinted you of what they might like."

 

"Psh, just give me this glory already! You know, I first thought I'd really prefer visiting her only at night, thinking she's scary in the morning. But look at her. She's so..."

 

"Endearing? I agree." The two humans smile.

 

"Jinhwan, we probably should find a better meeting place besides this. We can't afford to have other people spotting her."

 

Cheeks bulging like a chipmunk thanks to all the pieces that she has eaten, she watches the two men seriously talk to each other. She could not make out the meaning to their words and feeling quite left out, despite not being one of them to begin with, she flips her tail mightily and splashes them both with salty seawater. She hears them both yell and cackle after, to which she proudly nods. Gone were their worried faces.

 

"Hey, what's your name?" One of them asks, the one whose eyes almost disappear whenever he smiles. He seems to be the more persistent between the two when it comes to approaching her.

 

However the owner of the lovely voice with a smaller face obviously has been observing her too. "She wouldn't understand that." He finally addresses her and the mermaid closely watches his actions. With his forefinger, he points to himself and carefully utters the syllables, "Jin.hwan. Jin. Hwan." Then he points to the other male and says, "Ji. Won. Ji. Won."

 

Just like watermelons. Could you be teaching me who you are, stranger? A frown can be seen on the mermaid's forehead. She notices the difference between sounds but it wasn't distinct enough for her lips to easily imitate. "Din... Djin... wan... Din... waan.."

 

"Yah, just tell her I'm, uh, Bobby! Yes, Bobby! Our names might be too similar to her." His voice rising in excitement every word upon hearing the mermaid attempting to talk for the first time.

 

"Of course you'd choose an english name right off the bat."

 

"Jinhwan!" He whines and the male named Jinhwan rolls his eyes while chuckling to himself.

 

They try once more. “Jin... wan. Ba... bi.”

 

"Jin... wan.. Bah..bby.” She repeats the syllables multiple times while she follows the Jinhwan's while being greatly encouraged by the man named Bobby. “Jinhwan, Bobby!"

 

The two males look at each other, exhilarated for their names to be uttered by the mermaid. They did a strong high-five to each other before they extended their open palm to her as well. On cue, the mermaid heaves herself with a strong fwip of her fins and her hands touches each of theirs, then resting her forearms to the edge of their canoe. “Jinhwan, Bobby!”

 

Imitating them, she too, slowly tells them who she is. "La...li...sa. Lalisa!"

 

The both of them let her name roll to their tongues carefully and precisely, “Lalisa!” to which she cheers with squeal and a happy nod.

 

"Lalisa, we have something for you." The man named Jinhwan fishes a circular item from his pocket. It is surrounded with pearly beads with one of them having the figure of the sun. "It's a bracelet."

 

"Waah," it looked beautiful and she couldn't take her eyes off it. Cautiously, Jinhwan slips the said bracelet to her hand and places it around her wrist.

 

She raises her right arm, studying the little accessory before breaking to soft peals of merry chuckling. When she turns to look at them again, Jinhwan holds out another item and in that blank white space, she sees two drawn men dipped into the waters. He flips to the next page and the next, until she could see them twirling around. Thank you.

 

"Thank you for saving us the first time." Jinhwan places a gentle hand on top of her head and she nuzzles to it before plunging back to the sea, surging far and deep before twirling mid-air.

 

Bobby whistles and cheers her name. "Get it, Lalisa!"

 

Mother, father, I may have found myself some interesting humans. I may have found new friends!

 

From that day onwards, the three spent most of their days and nights, meeting each other secretly. After a few encounters and having the privilege to observe them up close, Lalisa had come to realize the differences of these two friends.

 

When they stand, Jinhwan is shorter because his head only reaches Bobby’s ear. He has bronze-colored hair, a soft and thoughtful gaze, and a lovely mark on his right cheek just right below his eye. Between the two of them, he seems to be the smarter one. He devised the days when they should meet in a patternless manner, and scouted a new rendezvous besides the center stone to avoid suspicions from fishermen. With their language barrier being a problem, he introduced Lalisa to books, papers and pens and used pictures and self-drawn images to communicate with her. He is patient and gentle, and would not hesitate to teach her new words anytime. On slow and calm nights, they would sing the song that made them meet and Bobby would always end up falling to the sea, trance-like.

 

If Jinhwan is the definition of calmness, the tall, dark-haired, and built Bobby is a burst of energy. He is always smiling, and so active. Everytime they get to meet, he brings all sorts of things to show the mermaid. From watermelons to other fruits like papayas and coconuts. Bobby brings her toys, flashlights, and teaches her the importance of time. He taught her their signature handshake too and would always greet her with it when they meet. “Low-five, high five! Zero-up, zero-up! Knuckle punch, Pooow!” It is through him that she understood what joking means because he does it all the time. He is venturous and very competitive and would do so much as challenge her to a swimming race, even when the winner remains the same. He brings out the playful side of her and days are always filled with laughter and mischief because of him.

 

Lalisa can barely remember the last time she had felt so much joy. For the first time in a long time, she felt somehow belonged even when their halves aren’t exactly the same. They are always curious of her the same way she is of them, and she does not hesitate to show them bits of her world. Whenever Jinhwan fishes, she leads them to good spots where schools of fishes flounder about. She explains to them, in a very tiring attempt of drawing and gestures, how to predict weathers, how to hold their breaths longer and to swim with more ease.

 

Jinhwan once asked her about how they track how long they have lived and she reveals to them that it’s through the number of full moons. “185 full moons,” the male concluded upon counting a whole paper full of circles drawn by her. “If I am not mistaken, there are 13 full moons in a year so... 183 divided by 13...” he looked at his bestfriend as he quietly calculated and Bobby raised his hand lazily.

 

“Jinhwan, I literally told Lalisa that after counting to 10, Jack, Queen, King and Ace come next. Math isn’t my specialty!”

 

Isa, dalawa, tatlo... ” Lalisa started counting all of a sudden. Sitting on the canoe, her tail hanging mid-air, she practices her rowing skills while attempting to chase Bobby who is swimming around.

 

“Ah, 14 years and... 3 months, maybe? You are our youngest, Lalisa.” Jinhwan pats her head and just like always, she raises her head to nuzzle up to him.

 

“Baby Lalisa,” Bobby teases as he heaves his body up to pinch the females cheek. The mermaid would bare her sharp teeth, feigning aggression and Jinhwan would have to break them apart again.

 

Together, they are rowdy, chaotic, and fun.

 

More questions rolled by the following days and it came to a point where they showed her a book with a drawing of many mermaids and asked her if she had a pod. A family. Using her fingers and more gestures, she explained that she isn’t lost. In fact, she ran away. For what reason? They did not probe any further and she is thankful for that, because how else would she explain that she is searching for something she is not particularly sure of too? “I have you! Jinhwan! Bobby!” She clumsily and slowly tells them with a smile and she was surprised upon not receiving the same enthusiasm. In fact, the two men showcased sadness on their faces.

 

“Lalisa, I’m leaving soon. I’m leaving within a week.” Bobby finally reveals. It took them minutes to explain the short sentence, and when she finally understood, it pained her. She could not grasp the concept of school and importance of saving money but those were his reasons. “I will come back, I promise I will return!” He insisted and she knew he will but she can barely imagine ten full moons without him. It has gotten to a point that three of them are almost inseparable.

 

A strong grip wakes her from her own thoughts and she sees Bobby with his serious gaze. “Lalisa, do you want to be with us?”

 

She nods, I do, more than I can ever express.

 

“Do you... can you perhaps... have you ever thought of turning to a human? Is it possible? Luna’s stories tell us mermaids can and—”

 

“That’s awfully selfish, Jiwon.” Jinhwan interrupted with a sterner tone; his hand reaching out to Bobby’s and tugging it away so the latter can let go of her grip on the female. Lalisa can already tell it is one of those fights that she will only end up anxiously watching.

 

“Is it selfish? She doesn’t have a pod. She’ll just keep waiting for us and for how long will that work?”

 

“You and I have read the books, there’s a strong chance that a change will have consequences. Will you really risk Lalisa's safety and well-being for your wishes?”

 

“Stop acting like you’re some kind of good samaritan, we both want her to be with us and so does she, so what keeps you from keeping us together?”

 

“You talk big when you won’t even be here with us even when she becomes human. She still needs to wait for you like I do. It doesn’t solve anything!”

 

“At least she won’t be fully alone out there!”

 

“Jinhwan! Bobby!” She tugs their hands to keep them from fighting anymore and as they turn their heads to her, her heart races for them both. Oh father, mother, I may not know their language but I see love. I see a deeper kind of affection and care. They care so deeply for me, and I, to them. Lalisa gently smiles and leads their palms to her cheeks as she nuzzles to their warmth.

 

Just in time, the dark clouds finally part, revealing the lovely moon above, the illusion plays its part and with red-tainted lips, golden irises, and delicate fingers touching theirs, she soothes them with the very song that brought them together in the first place.

 

No matter how far,

Our hearts beat for each other

Let’s make it known that this is happiness

And the most important things need no words

Just let these feelings melt into light.

 

“I’m okay. Ako. Hintay. Palagi!”

 

I will always wait.

 

It was finally time for her to go. Dinner awaits them two in their respective homes and she can’t be there to join either one. So she swims away from their second hiding spot by the opening of the river. Gracefully and cheerfully she goes. When she finally arrives at her center stone, away from the worrying gazes, she remains afloat, watching the moon.

 

She thought of many things that night.

 

She remembers her pod and her kin, and wonders if they have moved away to another hunting region. She thought of her mother and father, whom she left when one day, she could no longer stand the repetitive days. To hunt, eat, rest, and repopulate someday. There were no other goals, and nothing that filled her whole. It did not feel like living.

 

She thought of her friends, Bobby and Jinhwan, both have legs and feet and yet the differences are obvious as daylight. Sometimes they fit like a puzzle, and sometimes they clash and break. She thought of how they made her yearn to feel belonged with them and at the same time to be a singular with distincts traits of her own. The words they threw each other earlier were mostly gibberish to her but she understood Bobby’s suggestion.

 

What if she becomes human for them?

 

Do they know, Lisa wonders, the intricacies of turning into a human? They probably do. Books are fascinating.

 

She has heard stories about those who decided to turn. She heard of pain and nightmares that followed. Is she ready for the consequences? Are Bobby and Jinhwan enough reasons for her to give in to the moon’s temptation? What awaits her at the dry lands? I don’t know. I don’t know.

 

She thought of Luna. The mermaid that the town of Tapisan greatly reveres and the mermaid that all of the merfolk despise after she forsaken the seas to be able to roam with humans. She thought of how the stories talk about Luna falling in love with someone, and she wondered if the person was worth it. The person probably was. Luna never returned to the sea, after all.

 

Lalisa extends her open hand to the moon; her bracelet dangling in her wrist as she thought that the next time the three of them will meet, it would be the last one for this summer season. Then the ten full moons will commence. I can wait. I will always wait.

  
 
 

 

 

For the remaining days, she has observed from afar that the town of Tapisan slowly becomes livelier. Bright banners hang around endlessly, and more people come together to visit each other’s home for food and fun gathering. Bobby explained before that a festival is coming, in which humans celebrate the deities they worship. “There will be parades, and awesome group dances. There are legit sleepless nights when people would just party and do games! In early mornings, they’d do group prayers too. You should look at the skies at night. Fireworks! I’m sure you will love them! Of course... you wouldn’t understand all of those, right? Jinhwan, help me here!”

 

It looks fun. She watches the town every night from her center stone. The boys told her they will have to join the games and are expected to help during the whole celebration, thus explaining their absence. She didn’t feel lonely at all. At least she tells herself that. This is nothing like the ten full moons. The fireworks filled her nights as well.

 

When their last day finally arrived, it was four in the morning. It was very cold and yet Bobby and Jinhwan still joined Lalisa for a swim. Some time after, while they are finally resting on the stone, nibbling on some watermelons that they brought, Jinhwan gives the mermaid a blossoming plant they call, ‘sunflower’. A happy smile etches her lips and her tail swings to and fro gleefully. “Yes. it’s the same color as your tail!”

 

“And Jinhwan will never tell you how we plucked that from the field while the owner was drunk on a ditch.”

 

“It was your suggestion, I don’t mind you explaining that part too.”

 

They bicker once more but there was no animosity and Lalisa was glad they somehow settled their differences from last time. They always do.

 

“Lalisa, I will come back. I promise.” Bobby suddenly tells her with a gentle nudge on her shoulder. He took off his water-resistant watch, pressed a few buttons and wore it on her wrist, beside the bracelet they gave her. “I’ve taught you about the alarms, right? Once this beeps, it means I have returned.” With his animated explanation, she somehow understood the gist of it all.

 

Circling an arm around his, she leans her head on his broad shoulder and she pulls Jinhwan to lean on her. The sun continues to rise and it must have been the most peaceful of days. “I’ll be here.”

 

“Good to know. I told Jinhwan to take care of you, so everything will be okay.”

 

“You should have seen him crying his wits to the fact that he was leaving, Lalisa.”

 

“Jinhwan, shut up!”

 

Lalisa giggles at their silly antics. Ah, this is happiness, she thought.

 

Summer finally ends and the worse has yet to come.

 

 

 

 

 

Nothing remained the same since then and Lalisa was gobsmacked by the sudden changes. Suddenly, she is highly aware of the vastness of the sea in a twisted way. She used to enjoy the very thought of it, but the deep trenches and unexplored worlds made her realize how empty it is. How empty she is.

 

Jinhwan, her only pool of happiness that remained, has been busier than usual too. He said his grandmother has fallen ill and now he juggles his time being with Lalisa, fishing for their livelihood, and attending this system called ‘school’ that always makes her curious. Even with his usual gentle eyes, she can see the tiredness behind it, She wonders if she’s being more of a burden to him than a good company.

 

The conundrum within her only grows with each passing day, weeks and months. She could not understand why she was suddenly back to a routine of merely waiting when in the first place, it was the reason why she ran away. Her frustration grows over the fact that she wants to end it, but leaving the shores of Tapisan did not feel like the answer. She wants to be with her friends.

 

So do I turn to a human then? The question halts her and she hates herself for being afraid and for not being strong enough to make a choice.

 

One day, Jinhwan arrives at their meeting place, with a pale face and relentless coughing. He was sick and even then, he worked to buy medicines for his grandmother. He is amazing.

 

“I’m sorry, Jinhwan,” she finally blurts out as her hand touches the sides of his neck. His body feels hot, he looks weak.

 

“You don’t have to apologize. I am happy to be with you.” He responds with a strained voice and a pat on her head. Today he holds a book and tells her a story of a girl named Snow white and her seven little men.

 

Pag-ibig? What is that?” She asks when the word was mentioned.

 

By this point, Jinhwan has already learned how to make words, gestures and drawings more understandable for her and with it, he explains, “It’s a kind of emotion where you yearn for the person, you want to be with them, you want to always take care of them, be there for them and wish them the best. It’s a strong emotion and humans would say it is what matters the most.”

 

Ah, love, She realizes. She thought of his explanations for quite a while as the man continued the story. Snow white has now bitten the apple. ”Love. Jinhwan loves Bobby.”

 

Jinhwan pauses and looks at the mermaid with wide eyes and though pale from being sick, his cheeks flush the slightest to her words. “What?”

 

Pag-ibig!” Lalisa insists. Based on his description of love, "Jinhwan loves Bobby!" Slowly, the male chuckles. He nods his head and closes the book. “I do love him. I love you both." He nudges the female to the side and once her misty orbs lock to his, he gently and sincerely tells her, "I love you too, Lalisa."

 

Her heart races and now she blushes too. A warm fuzzy feeling spreads through her chest, filling her empty shell. She tackles the male into a tight hug, snuggling to his warmth. I would go so much for you, Jinhwan. You and Bobby.

 

Jinhwan was absent for a long while after that as he may have been recuperating from his sickness and Lalisa endured the blank sea as much as she could. She wondered if his friends are okay, she wondered if she would be okay.

 

She thought of how Bobby will return in the next five full moons.

 

She thought of how they’ll spend time together for the next two.

 

She thought of another ten full moons.

 

She spiralled. Swimming out of her giant clam and up to the surface where she sees the night sky again, she leads her sharp fingernail to her wrist, ready to carve the moon to her wrist and curse herself so she can walk, run, and jump as much as she can.

 

To the moon above, I beseech your presence!

Here my aching plea!

 

She screams to the moon and she could feel it listen to her and she was about to continue to incantation when her eyes moved up to the bracelet and wristwatch the two have left her. Is it for the best? What comes after standing on the sandy shores?

 

She falters.

 

She is still not strong enough.

 
 
 
 
 
Author's Note : Do you happen to have a favorite character so far? Just wondering! Would love to hear your thoughts. Many thanks for reading.