Missing in Action

Famous
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was safe to say that no one was happy with Taemin. Especially Kibum. He actively ignored the other, though it wasn’t as if Taemin gave him many opportunities to. Taemin was pretty much ignoring Kibum as well, which indirectly made it so that Taemin was avoiding Minho and Jongin as well, since they were always together. 

It was awkward between them. After that unsightly event at the post-fashion show dinner a few days ago, Taemin had never apologized for what he’d said to Kibum. But he wasn’t avoiding them because he felt bad. Actually, it was the opposite. He really couldn’t see why it was that big of a deal. He only said the truth: The show wouldn’t have been a hit without him and his fans. Yes, maybe he could have been softer on the delivery, but it was the same information so why did it matter how it came out? Taemin had no time to draw things out nowadays.

But whatever, it was fine. Taemin was still bouncing between Minho/Jongin and Ravi/Sungwoon, with an emphasis on the latter group.

Since the fashion show was now over, the next upcoming event was Jongin’s showcase. As dance majors, each student had the opportunity to put on a showcase where they could show off their learned skills in dances they performed and choreographed.

This assignment was optional and considered as extra credit for anyone who wanted to do it. Taemin didn’t originally intend to opt out but since he was pretty much the top scoring student in the department and with all the recent drama... it just didn’t need to happen.

However, Jongin had been begging Taemin to help him with his dancing since the assignment was first presented, and though they weren’t currently in the best graces, Jongin still needed help. So, Taemin complied.

The two were rehearsing in the dance room, performing like student and instructor. Taemin would watch Jongin and correct the movement, usually demonstrating for him how it should be done and sometimes even jumping in and doing it along with Jongin.

”Okay, your technique here is good, but your spin is too rigid. You have to make it smoother. Here, look.”

Taemin demonstrated the way the move should be done and let Jongin try afterward. Taemin was a pretty great dance teacher. Maybe it was because he was so passionate about it.

”Like that?” Jongin asked.

“You got it.” Taemin nodded with a smile.

It felt comfortable. Like the way things used to feel before all this weird viral stuff happened. Just two best friends alone together doing what they’ve loved to do since childhood.

As much as Jongin was happy to improve his dancing, he was 10x more happy that Taemin had taken back interest with him. In complete honesty, Jongin had been feeling some serious neglect. He loved that Taemin was suddenly so cool and popular, he deserved that as the most talented dancer at Seoul U. But along with that recognition came a change in Taemin. He’d become more confident yes, but also more arrogant. More careless and self-centered.

However, though Jongin was still hurt by being laughed at and ditched by his friend Taemin, it never felt like it was enough reason to really be mad at him. They had been best friends all their lives. Jongin wouldn’t let a few negative experiences change that.

”Thanks for helping me, Taem.” Jongin stretched as they finished up.

”You don’t need to thank me.” Taemin fanned himself with his hand as he crossed the large room. “We always help each other out.”

”Yeah, but... you’ve been busy lately. I didn’t even think you’d show up.” Jongin smiled nervously.

Taemin rolled his eyes, lacing on his shoes. “Aish, I swear you guys are too much. Of course I would show up. I’m still your friend.”

Jongin followed, sitting to put his shoes back on. “Well, I thought you were done with us. After what happened with Kibum hyung.”

”Kibum hyung is a drama queen.”

Jongin’s face scrunched a little. ”Taemin, what you said to him was pretty messed up. He was bummed out the whole night. You made him feel like all his hard work was for nothing.”

”That’s not what I said.” he argued flatly.

”You implied it.”

Taemin rolled his eyes. ”However Kibum hyung chooses to interpret my words is not my fault.”

”He’s still really mad. Maybe you should apologize. It was kinda rude...” Jongin wanted to be careful how he spoke. He didn’t want to say something that would have Taemin treating him the way he was currently treating Kibum.

”Jongin, he’s always mad. I’m telling you, it’ll blow over.” Taemin hoisted himself off the ground.

”You really think so?” Jongin put out his arm for Taemin to help him up too.

”Of course, it’ll be fine. Everything will be back to normal soon enough.”

”Okay...” Jongin frowned slightly. He didn’t know about that.

Taemin’s phone buzzed and he picked it up.

”Oh crap! I gotta go.” He grabbed his bag.

”O-okay, dont forget the showcase is Thursday at 6!” He reminded the frantically moving sophomore.

”Thursday at 6! Got it!” Taemin called, already out the door.

The corners of Jongin’s lips turned the slightest bit upwards. He turned back to the mirror, mimicking the spin from earlier.

It was Jongin’s showcase day, which meant he was really excited but also really nervous. But everything was gonna be great, he convinced himself.

Showcases were open to all, but usually had relatively little audiences. Just the grading professors, some classmates, and anyone else who was curious or interested, which wasn’t much.

From the side of the stage, Jongin noticed Minho and Kibum enter, but he didn’t see Taemin. That was fine. Taemin was always running late lately anyway. He sent his friend a few texts that the show was about to start and got ready to begin.

The first few dances were easy, but it’s the final dance—the one Jongin and Taemin had been practicing—that was making Jongin nervous. He hoped that Taemin would be there soon so that he could give him some last minute notes. At the very least, Taemin’s presence would bring Jongin strength. He really wanted more than anything for his friend to come and be proud of him.

It didn’t work out that that way. Despite endless texts from both Jongin and Minho, Taemin was a no call no show. He never came. As it were, Jongin had been so distraught and distracted by his friend’s absence, that he ended up making terrible mistakes during his performance. Like really bad obvious mistakes. Tripping, bumping into backup dancers, losing balance; it was a mess.

Minho and Kibum cringed in their seats for their friend. It was really hard to watch. Though Jongin was never the world’s best dancer, not even too close to Taemin’s level, he was still usually quite calculated and much more graceful than he was now.

Jongin had finally finished. While he wouldn’t get his total score until

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter