Pools of Doubt

Being of Dreams

 

 

My head hurts so bad...

Why is the sun so bright? It shouldn't be shining so strong this early in the morning, it's just 7, so why?

Why do my eyelids feel so heavy?

Seulgi groans and frowns as she tries to move her aching body and head to no avail, what the hell? Why do I feel like I'm hungover? I don't even remember going to bed last night... Last thing I remember was ge-

GASP

Seulgi immediately sits up from her bed, last night incident hitting her hard like a train, confusion messing up her brain. That woman was there and...

Grandma.


That's right! I need to make sure grandma's alright!

Seulgi bolts from her bed and runs down those stairs like she has never before in her 17 years of being alive, "Grandma!! Grandma?! Where are you??", Seulgi screams as she makes her ways to the living room, only to stop abruptly as she sees her mom, dad and grandma giving her a weird, worried look.


"Sweetheart, what's wrong? Why are you screaming like that, asking if grandma's okay... Are you okay?", her mom asks gently, her eyes pooling with worry as she walks up to Seulgi and softly brushes her messy strands of hair away from her face.
"O-of course I'm okay... I think?", Seulgi mumbles, uncertainty coating her hoarse voice. "... What happened?", "you passed out, child!", her grandma says softly, "you got home, went to my room and then just passed out in front of me! The fright you gave me Seulgi!!"

What?

... Did she imagine everything? The dark house, that sound, grandma, her?

Seulgi lets out a dry, humorless laugh as she tiredly rubs her eyes. "Are you sure you're okay kiddo?", dad's deep voice brings Seulgi out of her stupor, "yeah, I... I guess I didn't sleep that well and the excitement of today probably wore me out... I didn't really eat much so, yeah... I'm sorry I worried you guys...", Seulgi concludes lamely, hoping this makes them stop looking at her like she's actually sick.

"I told you it was all hunger! A Kang needs food to function!", her father says while laughing loudly and playfully pushing his wife, probably in hopes of lightening the mood. He succeededs, with mom at least... Grandma is looking at Seulgi with a different look, a knowing a look, a look that lets Seulgi know that, no, what happened yesterday wasn't just another dream.

 

And that scares Seulgi. So, so much.

 

Does Grandma know about the dreams? About her? Why was she like that yesterday?

 

Seulgi's mind is going through a different million questions, barely registering what's happening through dinner until she hears her grandma say she'll take her to bed.

 

Ok, Seulgi's not scared. Seulgi's terrified.

 

The moment the door to her room closed and it was just her and her grandma, the air became so much heavier. Like yesterday.

 

"... Grandma?"

 

"SILENCE CHILD!!", her grandma's loud voice makes Seulgi flinch and avoid her grandma's eyes. She's never heard her grandma raise her voice, let alone let out such a guttural, angry scream.

 

"Why couldn't you just push her away Seulgi!? If you had just... ARGH!", Seulgi watches as her grandma seeths and screams at her. Before Seulgi can voice any of her many, many questions, her grandma's eyes suddenly turn white and the rooms temperature drops. She can't do anything else but try and decipher what her grandma is mumbling (and not pee her pants).

Two things are certain, her grandma is talking to someone (maybe more than one person? thing?) and this is by far the creepiest thing Seulgi's ever seen...

She takes a deep breath and just asks her grandma (and probably pisses her off really bad) "...grandma? Do you know who the woman in my dreams is? I-I saw her yesterday and... I wasn't dreaming, I think? What's going on...?", Seulgi asks almost desperately, she needs to know something, but of course, that will never happen.

 

"NO! I WILL NOT TELL YOU ABOUT HER AND YOU WILL NOT ASK ABOUT HER!!", her grandma shouts, her eyes turning black as they face Seulgi. "Can't you understand I'm just trying to keep you safe Child?? They're bad news, she's bad news! You must stay away!", Seulgi nods her head fast as she starts to feel her eyes burn with unshed tears, she's so, so tired and now this?? Why can't anyone just be clear with her.

 

"Good...", her grandma says with a tired sigh, taking Seulgi's nod as obedience, even if it's out of fear.

"Wear this and sleep now, child. Your dreams won't plague you anymore.", Seulgi takes the little medallion from her grandma's cold hand without looking her in the eye. She keeps her head down as she waits for her grandma to finally leave, wasting no time in shedding her burning tears until exhaustion gets the best of her and she crumbles into sleep.

 

Uh.

 

Who would know?

 

The medallion works.

 

It's probably been about two years since Seulgi hasn't had one of those dreams and God! does it feel good to not die! Seulgi is in such a good mood, she completely forgets all about the incident with her grandma, she's in such a good mood, she completely misses the uncertain vibe her school colleagues give about a new face in school. She's in such a good mood, she doesn't even hear the whispers about how the new girl is apparently who moved in to Boo Radley's home.

 

Seulgi's mood is certainly not good enough, that when the new girl comes into Seulgi's sight, she would miss who she is.

 

That would be impossible.

 

That's a face Seulgi's has seen already so many times after all, a face that is making Seulgi feel like she's going to pass out again.

 

"Seulgi?", Yeri asks uncertainly. Seeing Seulgi freeze and lose all color is making Yeri worried, "are you feeling sick again? Are you gonna pass out? Do y-", Yeri's panicked ramble falls to deaf hears, because at sound of Seulgi's name, she, reacted.

 

And like magnets, their eyes found each other.

 

Sharp, tired, brown eyes met (and got completely lost) in deep pools of black onyx eyes. Seulgi's chest hurts... So bad.

She blinks and only then does she realize that she actually stopped breathing when she locked eyes with her.

 

Seulgi gasps and lets Yeri support and drag her away to the infirmary, not being able to (nor mentally nor physically) handle looking at the other girl.

 

Later that day, when Yeri comes back to her side after a long day of classes, she finds out what her name is, but not before getting hit with an "I told you so" from Yeri, because yeah she did tell her someone was moving in the haunted house.

 

Seulgi could only nod dumbly to Yeri's rambles because, oh my God, I know her name...

 

 

And it's a really pretty one...

 

 

 

 

Joohyun. Bae Joohyun.