Chapter 3 — #HAPPYHYOYEONDAY

Free Lattes?

If Hyoyeon could re-cap her birthday, that re-cap would go down like this.

September 22 - birth. A small get-together for the quartet was organised by Taeyeon. Of course, it was in the café. Minseok brought the cake (strawberry cheesecake — Hyoyeon’s favorite), Taeyeon brought chips and gummy worms, and Junmyeon provided beverages (duh!) and music (a mix of lofi hip hop and Sophie - the Sophie tracks were all bangers. Obviously!). Sooyoung dropped by with a present - an Opal card (she’ll never let Hyoyeon live down the one time she dropped her Opal card and it fell on the track where the approaching train basically ran over it), the Rodin lipstick she was eyeing in Mecca Cosmetica while Sooyoung was looking for some random Diptyque candle she had never heard of (Figler? Figgier? Some fancy like that), and the news that Kyungho proposed while they were dining at Quay. Typical Kyungho - always has to treat his girl like a princess. Junmyeon passed on a present from Chanyeol — handmade coupons for free flat whites. Minseok wasn’t very happy. Although, Taeyeon was more than happy to steal a few coupons (she crossed out the ‘flat whites,’ and, in very messy handwriting, scrawled, ‘earl greys and foot rubs’). They spent the night eating cake and reminiscing over Hyoyeon’s best moments — the many times she shouted their weekly KBBQ dinners at Danjee (by 'many', she means every single time they went there), her clear obsession with flat whites (she’s never stopped referring to long blacks as ‘cigarette water’), and the occasional Happy Socks designs she would don with her always scuffed Fila Disruptors (“What, you don’t like the neon pineapples?”).

All in all, it was a rad birthday.