CH.2

Just One of These Nights
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mino

It's my second month back in South Korea after 10 years and there's so much that I missed out on - from my nieces' and nephews' birthdays to the passing of my grandparents. All I missed because I was working my off as a lawyer in San Diego and busy trying to please Jennie who happens to be my ex. She's never content with the things I do for her despite my hectic schedule. But it's what I get for dating an Asian-American. Once they find out you're born from another country with wealthy parents, all they want is your money. On a side note, I'm finally away from her crazy now that I'm back in Seoul unless she decides to follow me all the way here and finds me somehow. Now I'm just spending time with my mother while my dad is visiting his office. I watched as my mother, with her swift knife skills, cut up spring onions before throwing them into a boiling pot of kimchi jjigae, my favorite of all korean cuisines. It's been a long time since I last got to see this side of my mother before my parents sent me off to the states. Not to mention, kimchi jjigae was probably the last homecooked meal I've ever had. Since then I'd always eat out with my friends to the point where I gained nearly 20 pounds during my years of middle school to high school. College was when I decided to get into shape just to prove a point to my bullies and well, the rest is history. 

"Why are you looking at me so much adeul?" My mom chuckled. I was so fascinated with her knife work I didn't realize I was dozing off. 

"I just miss spending time with you umma." 

"As expected, you're still a momma's boy. I'm not surprised since we sent you off when you were at such a young age. But don't you have friends you want to catch up with?" I shook my head and propped my arms on the kitchen table. 

"I can meet up with them whenever I want umma. But spending time with you and appa is much more important." The room was quiet for a few seconds when she turned her attention to me once more as she furrowed her brows in concern. 

"Are you planning on marrying anytime soon Mino?" I was shocked by her sudden remark. "I don't know if you remember her but Mrs. Bae, Joohyun's umma, has been talking about finding her daughter a suitable husband. The girl doesn't seem like she wants to marry anytime soon and-"

"Umma. I know you're concerned about my love life but when I find the right girl, I'll marry her. Besides, I barely know Joohyun. She could be a bad person for all I know and I just broke up with Jennie not too long ago. I'm not ready to be in another relationship yet." A sigh escaped from her lips. 

"Your father really likes Joohyun. After that day her mother and I talked about the possibility of you two marrying one another, your father was more than excited, Mino. You should've seen the genuine smile on his face. Not only that but he's also been having problems with his health lately. I'm afraid he'll be gone by the time you decide to finally settle down." Hearing those words felt as if my heart was ripped from my chest. I've only been back for a short amount of time and just the thought of my father leaving us so soon is heart wrenching. "I'll make a deal with you. Marry Joohyun and once your father's time is over, you can decide if you want to continue with the marriage or not. Like you said, I'm not one to control your love life." I thought for awhile at the idea of the arranged marriage. It wasn't common this time around. Nowadays everyone's meeting each other through dating apps and hooking up. Not once have I ever thought I'd be talked into marrying someone who I barely know. 

"What if she doesn't agree to this arranged marriage?" 

"She'll give in eventually."

"But-"

"Aduel. I'm not pressuring you into anything. All I'm saying is just think about it and when you've made your mind, I'll speak with Joohyun's mother."

After that day, I refrained myself from visiting my parents and locked myself in my apartment. Reason being, I needed the extra time to think due to the fact that the news came so suddenly about my father's health condition. How could I say no? I want to make my father happy and I'd do anything to see that smile of his mother was talking about.

It was the weekend and I haven't been making as much plans to meet up with my friends like I hoped to. I sat in my living room flipping through the channels on tv when my phone rings and answered to hear a familiar voice on the other end of the call. 

"Mino! You didn't tell me you're back in Seoul!" It was none other than my childhood friend Suho. Truth to be told, hearing his voice eased my mind a bit and was just the person I wanted to talk with. 

"Yeah I was just busy catching up with family I never had the chance to call you. Are you free today by any chance?" 

"I'm getting off work in a couple minutes. Why what's up?" 

"Let's meet up at the us

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter