Chapter 10 - The Playground Plan

Faded // Bang Chan

"Is everything okay? It's been a good five minutes since you last said anything." Na Ri questioned him as they headed towards the bus stop. His silence had made her not only anxious but very uncomfortable in his presence. She couldn't tell what was bothering him but by the troubled look on his face it was something big.

He turned his head to look at her and gave her a fake smile and a thumbs up. "Just thinking." He replied. She wasn't entirely convinced by his response but questioning it would only irritate him which was something she knew was easy to do.

Chan was glad she didn't push for information like he had initially expected from her. They approached the bus stop and both sat down, leaving a small space between each other to not make awkward contact. Na Ri stared at her feet intently, scared to look at Chan in fear of making eye contact. His confession was still fresh in her mind and she had to admit, she was a little frightened of him but what she did was just as bad as him. Na Ri's own mistakes were a never ending cycle in her brain that rarely left her train of thought. Suppressing her past life was an ongoing battle but her desperation to hide the old Na Ri from this new school was all she had left to strive for.

She was so focused on her feet that she didn't notice him staring at her from where he sat. For the first time since Chan met her he actually enjoyed being with her. She seemed so much prettier when she wasn't running in a desperate attempt to befriend him. He admired the way her hair lightly moved in the breeze and how she twiddled with her dainty fingers. He definitely liked this side of her. Chan decided quiet Na Ri was his favourite Na Ri.

"You're much prettier when you don't talk." Chan whispered to himself, hoping she wouldn't hear. He smirked and looked away when he saw that she was too engrossed in her thoughts to have caught what he said. The last thing he needed was her thinking he had feelings for her.

"The bus is coming." Chan tapped her shoulder and pointed at the oncoming bus. They both stood up and waited by the edge of the footpath as the bus came to a stop. She boarded first, paying her fare before taking a seat at the back by the window followed by Chan who took the seat beside her.

"Are you going home too?" Na Ri asked him and he shrugged. "I guess so. I have something I want to do first though." He replied and she nodded. "Can I come?" Na Ri enquired but the sour look on Chan's face made his answer obvious. "No, you can't!" He rolled his eyes at her. There was no way in hell he was inviting her along to visit In Ho.

"Oh, alright." Her deflated voice arose guilt in him. He felt even worse when she began frowning and started picking at her nails. A sudden realisation hit him. Chan was suddenly feeling things he hadn't felt in a long time. Sure, at times he'd felt remorse and sadness and other negative things but lately, looking at her awoke emotions he'd buried long ago. Lately, Chan felt happy whenever her laugh would fill the surrounding air and guilty when he'd wipe the smile from her face.

Chan sat in shock, his eyes wide and his palms sweaty. He debated whether getting off at the first stop was the best option but he knew she'd find an opportunity later on to question him about it so he decided against it. He glanced at her quickly before directing his attention down to the floor of the bus. Na Ri was completely oblivious to his current state of panic. He tried to relax his heavy breathing as he converted his thoughts to potential logical explanations on why he suddenly began to care about her but nothing came to mind.

"N-Na Ri?" Chan stammered as he mentally prepared himself for his next plan. He could only hope this one would give him answers unlike his failed attempt with Dongwoo. "Mhm?" She looked at him quizzically as she noticed his uneasy stance. "Let's get off at the third stop together." He exclaimed. "Okay, sure!" Na Ri beamed causing a wave of relief to flood over him.

"What exactly is at the third stop?" She enquired but he just grinned. "You'll see." He replied.

"Should I be worried?" Na Ri laughed but there was a seed of doubt in her mind. She had noticed the slight change in Chan, he seemed less cold towards her and more accepting of her presence. She knew her motive with Chan wasn't pure and she felt guilty that her intentions weren't from the good of her heart but at least they both benefit from her efforts.

"I admitted the truth about In Ho a few weeks ago and you're only wondering if you should be worried now?" He teased, his voice laced with sarcasm despite his words being true. She simply shrugged and laughed it off as the bus stopped at the second stop.

The journey to the next stop where they'd get off was short but silent. Chan spent the four minutes worrying about his feelings for Na Ri. He knew he didn't feel anything romantic for her but he couldn't help but wonder if her determination to befriend him was beginning to affect his thoughts and emotions towards her. Meanwhile Na Ri sat wondering where Chan was taking her and if this meant they were closer to becoming friends.

"C'mon!" Chan grabbed her arm and pulled her up as soon as the bus stopped, tugging her to the exit and off of the bus. She was taken aback by his action but didn't protest as he dragged her behind him down the street causing a few heads to turn their way.

Chan noticed her panting breath as she struggled to keep up with his long strides but he refused to let her go in fear of changing his mind about his plan. Chan had a habit of overthinking and second guessing himself but he wasn't letting that get in the way of right now.

"Slow down! Please, I can't keep up!" She whined from behind him earning a scoff to fall from his lips. "Somebody's unfit." He mocked her. "I'd hit you right now if I had any energy left!" She hissed at him. He laughed at her threat but continued to pull her along the street. "We're nearly there, I promise."

"Can we at least slow down?" She whined and he sighed before dropping her arm and matching his pace to hers. "Better?" Chan forced a smile despite the slight irritation she was causing him. "Much." She nodded. "Don't expect me to give you piggy back rides if you get tired. I'll honestly just leave you here." Chan warned her with a stern look. She glared at the blonde boy and he returned the gesture before pausing in his tracks and clapping his hands together.

"We have reached our destination!" He cheered as Na Ri took in the sight before her. "Why are we at a children's playground?" She enquired as she looked around the abandoned area. Chan instantly ran to the swings and sat there swaying forwards and backwards, watching Na Ri as she made her way over to him. "Because why not? If you were expecting a fancy restaurant or something sorry to disappoint princess but I ain't spending my money on you." He huffed as she plodded herself onto the swing beside him.

"Are you always this difficult?" The sound of her laughter filled the quiet playground. Chan smirked and gave her a playful wink. "You love it really." He teased as a light flush rose to her cheeks by his sudden change in mood. "If you say so, Chan."

Chan wondered if now was the best time to test his emotions but her voice pulled him away from his internal debate.

"We should probably go soon." Na Ri suggested, not wanting her dad to worry too much on her whereabouts and the amount of time she's been away. Chan froze at her words, debating on following through with his idea or not. "But we just got here!" He protested as a means of stalling her from acting upon her statement, however she stood up and zipped her jacket up before holding her hand out to him, a move she instantly regretted but before she could retract her hand he grabbed it and stood up, pulling her into his body before pressing his lips to hers.