Chapter 1

Gravity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Gravity, a natural force that makes things fall or stay on the ground. After hearing about it, I thought it was the most amazing thing in the world. Then I met a person; a not-so-special one. She's nothing but a dummy and that's what makes it even more amazing. Crazy, right? Yeah, I must have gone crazy the moment she entered my life.

 

3 Years Ago...

 

"Ya, Moon Byul Yi! You'll be late if you won't get up now!" I heard mom shouting right beside my bed.

"5 minutes.."

"You--"

 

And after hearing the tone of her voice, I knew it. She will hit me. Here we go again.

I've memorized all her "moves" so I was able to dodge all her hits even with my eyes closed.

 

"You're really--"

 

By this time she's gonna get something to make noises. Okay, I got no other choice. Time to get up.

I walked to the kitchen, yawning.

 

"Huh! You're finally up, eh?! I was about to hit a pan just to wake you up."

 

See? Just as expected.

 

"What do we have for breakfast?" I asked.

"Breakfast?! Look at the time, you wench!"

 

Oh my! I can't believe I only have 15minutes to prepare!

I quickly ran without saying another word to get myself ready for my work. This isn't my first day but I can't be late. I have to be promoted soon to earn more. That way, I'll be able to buy a better home for my family. I always do my best and yes, I admit that I show off a lot, hoping my boss would notice and appreciate it.

 

"I'll go now. Bye, mom!" I ran out.

 

"Byul Yi!" Mom shouted.

 

I turned around and saw her holding a small paper bag.

 

"Have this sandwich on your way to work, at least."

 

I smiled at her and thanked her.

She might be brutal at times but she's the sweetest person on Earth.

 

I was about to enter the building when someone suddenly poked my back.

 

"Excuse me." I heard a shy woman's voice from behind.

 

I turned around to face her.

 

"Yes?" I asked.

"Are you aware that you're--" She looked at my feet, making me look at it too.

"OH MY GOD!" I'm wearing slippers!

"If you want, you can borrow my heels. I can go with my shoes but I don't think you can go with your slippers." She smiled awkwardly as she hand me her heels.

"Are you sure?"

 

She nods.

 

"How will I return this, though? I mean, we might not meet again."

"Do you work here?" She points at the building where I work.

"Yes", I shortly answered.

"Me too. This is my first day."

"Oh, really? I guess I can return this after work then. Uh, anyway, I'm Moon Byul Yi."

"I'm Kim Yong Sun. Nice to meet you."

"How old are you?" I informally asked.

 

She looked surprised suddenly.

 

"Sorry if I sounded rude. I just wanted to know if you're an unnie or not so I'll know how to talk with you."

"I'm quite shy about this since I'm already old." She said.

"Are you joking? You look younger than me though." I said.

"I'm already 29."

"Seriously?!" Whoa! It's not obvious at all!

 

She nods embarrassingly.

 

"I'm 27. That makes you my unnie. Wow, I didn't see that coming at all."

"Shall we go in now? We're already a bit late, I think." She said.

"Oh, you can come in first. Sorry for taking some of your time. I'll just change to these heels then I'll go in too."

"Are you sure it's okay if I go in first?"

"Yes. No problem at all." I smiled at her.

"Okay, then. Bye, Ms. Moon." She bows.

 

I bowed back at her.

 

Wow, is she some kind of an angel? I can't believe I almost went to work in slippers.

After wearing her heels, I entered the building and found her looking around inside like a cute little pup. I think she's lost. I don't want to be late but she saved me so saving her won't hurt.

I tapped her shoulder and smiled.

 

"Good thing you're here, Ms. Moon!" She held my tight.
"I'm lost", said she.

"I knew it" I wasn't able to keep myself from laughing, seeing her stressed-looking face.
"Sorry, you're just...too cute." I apologized for laughing.

 

She pouts sadly and says, "I know I look stupid. Everyone says that all the time."

"No, no, you don't. I told you, you look cute." I smiled.

"Ehh, I see you're kinda greasy, huh?" She teased me.

 

How did the tables turn suddenly? Now I'm the one who's embarrased.

 

"Can you tell me the way to the General Office?" She asked.

"I'm from that department. Let's just go together." I said.

"Really?! That's even better!" She excitedly said.

 

In a blink of an eye, my embarrassment disappeared. She'll be easy to get along with, I guess. I think I like her already. We'll be good colleagues.

 

"Oh, speaking of the devil, I'll say", said Ms. Ahn, our boss, as soon as Yong Sun and I came in.

 

Everyone is currently standing in front of her as if they're having a casual meeting but I don't know what's going on at all.

 

"Ms. Moon, congratulations", Ms. Ahn smiled at me.

 

By any chance, am I getting the promotion I waited for so long?!

 

"Ms. Ahn--" I don't really know what to say.

"The directors and I chose you to work for our new manager, Ms. Kim Yong Sun", said Ms. Ahn.

 

What did I just.... So this girl would be the manager on her first day and I'll get nothing even after working here for years really hard? Work for her? Is that something I should be happy about? Why congratulate me if I won't be promoted anyway?

 

"Ms. Moon, are you okay?"

 

I didn't notice my tears were already falling.

 

"Please excuse me." I rushed to the washroom to wipe my tears away but I cried even more instead as soon as I walk away, hearing how happy they all sound, congratulating her even after seeing me cry. Am I really lacking for no one to even notice me and my hard works?

 

When I came back to the office, I was told to transfer all my things at the table inside the new woman's-- I mean Ms. Kim's office.

As I do it, Ms. Kim tapped my shoulder gently and whispered, "I'm glad you'll be my secretary."

Secretary? Oh, so I got a promotion, just not the kind of promotion that I wanted. Still, this is a step forward so I guess I shouldn't have cried. That was a quite a scene. Now I understand why no one seemed to care about me crying. I guess they thought I was just overwhelmed.

 

"Ms. Moon?"

"Uh, yes, Ms. Kim, I'm also glad I was chosen as your secretary." I bowed.

"The thing is... I don't really want you to call me in a very formal manner even inside the office. I feel uncomfortable, thinking that the one who helped me will work under me. Can you just call me by my name when it's just you and I?" She half-whispered.

"Helping you wasn't a big deal at all. Besides, you helped me too. I don't think I can call you 'Yong Sun unnie' even when it's just us two. It would make me feel really rude."

"If that would make you feel more comfortable, then okay. I'll just cope up with it for you." She winks with a smile.

"Ms. Kim, do you have any clue why my table is in the same room as yours? I've never seen a secretary working this close with her boss." I said.

"Ah, that--" She paused for a few seconds.
"I also don't know." She continued.

 

For a moment I thought she also knows.

 

"But don't you think that's better? I mean, we can chat the whole day and eat together secretly at the office."

"I think that's a bit off." I honestly said.

"Oh... I thought it was exciting." She looks down with a pout while scratching her fingernail on her table.

 

She looked embarrassed once again because of me. I guess she's really sensitive. There's a part in me that wants to avoid saying such things but there's also a part of me that doesn't want to stop because of her cute reaction whenever I embarrass her.

 

"Ms. Moon!" She grinned.

 

That was fast! She's back to normal!

 

"How about we have lunch together?" She asked.

"I guess that's fine for a manager and her secretary." "That's a yes, right? I'm looking forward to it!" She sits.

 

Right after fixing my things, I looked at her and found a dark aura around her. She looked so down and tired right away and it hasn't even been an hour since she started reading the papers. What did they see in her for them to make her a manager? Can she really do it?
I sat down and started checking the things I need to do for the day.
I wanted to ignore her and do my own business, but I can't. With her sitting near me, looking clueless, how could I focus?

 

"Do you need any help, Ms. Kim?" I asked.

 

The dark aura suddenly disappeared.

 

"No, thank you. I can do my job by myself." She smiles brightly.

"Okay, then."

 

And right after our conversation, the dark aura came back. She needs help.

 

"Let me help you, please."

 

Her aura brightens once again.

 

"If you insist then go on."

 

She pretends to be cool but I know she's dumbfounded.

 

"If you don't mind me asking, what was your work before this?" I asked.

"This is my first job."

 

SERIOUSLY?! HOW DID SHE GET THIS POSITION?! SHE MUST BE REALLY SMART DEEP INSIDE!

 

"Can you simplify those documents for me, please? I mean, please explain them to me in a more simple way. I'm not so into reading so..."

 

She might be a lazy nerd. I see!

 

"I will do it, Ms. Kim."

 

I explained everything to her after reading the papers.

 

"I see. Now I understand. Thank you!"

 

Did she just say she didn't understand it earlier? But she read it for almost an hour!

 

"I'm gonna work harder and be better! Thank you, my very kind secretary!" She smiles at me.

 

She gets prettier when she smiles. She didn't got in here with just her beauty, didn't she?

 

In the middle of silence in the office as we both work, I suddenly heard a stomach growling. Is that mine?
I looked at Ms. Kim and found her blushing while covering her tummy.

 

"I didn't notice the time. We must be working really hard. It's already pass 12." I said it for her to tell me to eat lunch with her now. I think it's the best way since telling my boss to eat now would be rude.

"Oh, you're right. We better have our lunch now." She stands up.

 

We went to the cafeteria and ate together as planned.

 

"This is a nice working place. The ambiance, the people, and not to mention the food here is good too", said Ms. Kim.

"Yes, it is, Ms. Kim."

 

She rubs her arms.

 

"Too formal that you're making me shiver."

"I need to, Ms. Kim. A lot of people are around us."

"I understand."

 

After eating, we went to the vending machine to have some cola.

 

"This is refreshing!" She smiles.

 

I smiled back at her and said, "It sure is."

 

"That's the way I want you to talk with me when it's just you and I. It's not like someone would hear us

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter