Chapter 6

Reality filled in blood

Baekhyun put Chanyeol on the bed and called the nurse. An old woman with more white hairs than black came in, greeting Baekhyun and looking at the pacient. Chanyeol was unconscious. The old woman had a chubby face, but her gaze was friendly gaining Baekhyun’s trust in an instant. She wore a mask and gloves and her nurse uniform which had blood stains here and there. Baekhyun tried not to think about those very much, but he felt his stomach’s protest.

The nurse took a look at Chanyeol and went to grab her tools. She first took a syringe and filled it with anesthetic. She injected Chanyeol the serum and then looked at Baekhyun whose face was whiter then the snow.

We’re just making sure he won’t wake up as I’m trying to take the bullet out, you know?” she asked in a gentle ton, but Baekhyun couldn’t utter a single word, so he just nodded, closing his eyes shut for a moment.

If he didn’t notice his breathing, Baekhyun could say Chanyeol was dead for good. The nurse then took out of her purse a scalpel which she carefully sanitized, a pair of tweezers repeating the same treatment as for the scalpel, and a lot of sanitizer to clean the wound before cutting and after cutting. Chanyeol’s fever was still down, which was good, but she knew it would go all the way up as she’d start to operate.

The nurse sighed and asked Baekhyun to carefully undress Chanyeol.

Me? Why me? Can’t I ask someone else?

As you can see, everyone is either sleeping, either can’t leave their positions. It would be inappropriate for an old woman to undress a man, just do it! You’re a man yourself!

Yeah, he was a man, but he didn’t like to be seen or to see others if they weren’t a woman, it made him feel insecure. He couldn’t buy himself any more time, so he just proceeded. He sighed heavily and took Chanyeol’s bullet-proof vest out, then his jacket, then his shirt, ing every button slowly, he was really taking his time.

Young man, if you don’t move faster, things could get bad...

Baekhyun felt the urge to roll his eyes, but just kept it straight and ed faster, revealing another layer of clothing. A t-shirt. He couldn’t just take it out.

I need a pair of scissors”, he said in a stern voice.

The nursed handed him them and he cut the t-shirt from his body revealing his bare chest and abs, Baekhyun felt the urge to punch his mate, but he hold it in. He wasn’t the beefy, good-looking, he had a little belly under his clothes, he wasn’t proud of it, but he couldn’t just give up on beer.

OK, done!” he said, readying himself to leave.

You can’t leave! You need to help me...

Baekhyun sighed again : “You’re a freaking nurse, you should be able to do this by yourself”, he screamed in his own brain without murmuring a single thing. He sat again and she handed him her tools. Baekhyun wanted to roll his eyes again...

Scalpel!” she said in a high tone.

Baekhyun carefully handed her that. When he saw the blood pouring out from his friend, he wanted to puke, right there, on him, he swallowed. Hard.

Wadding!

He put some sanitizer on it and handed it. She cleaned the wound, but the bloond won’t ing stop. She pressed on the wound while asking for more, Chanyeol growled in his sleep, but didn’t wake up. Baekhyun began to panick.

Tweezers!

He gave them to her and she began to dig for the damn bullet. She finally catched it and took it out. Baekhyun put some water on the wadding and handed her the wet piece. She cleaned her wound and sanitized it. The she applied some medicine and she applied a piece of band Aid.

Good! Good. We’re done. You did well, soldier Byun! You may go to rest now...

Without knowing it, Baekhyun just sat up and headed out of the infirmary, cursing the moment he had to run after that sniper. He just went directly to the depo and started cleaning the rifles and revolvers... It took him 4 hours, but after that, he just went and dropped on his bed, not knowing anything else besides sleep and rest.

 

Captain Kim got up early that day, and went to the depo to check on Baekhyun. She watched him for a while, he was upset and kept muttering words under his breath. She knew then he regretted his choice of following the sniper, but seeing him yawning and so tired, it softened her heart, but she wouldn’t go easy on him anyway, even if she was very fond of him. She knew soldier Byun was a good man, but disobeying orders was not something she tolerated.

I heard about Mr. Byun’s actions ”, a soft husky voice said. Eve’s heart almost exploded.

She turned around and saw Lieutenant Kim. She gasped, but tried not to be impressed, even if he was wearing just a tank top and his camo pants, and sweat was dripping from his black hair, and his eyes were both on her face, analysing every reaction, emotion which trespassed her eyes. She instantly felt her heart sinking at his perfection and blood raced to her cheeks, the moment she cursed her thoughts and how her body responded to just seeing him.

Yeah, well, I think I penalized him enough, though, I think I won’t let my guard off around him for a while”, she said, trying to keep her calm.

Do you feel bad for punishing him like this?”, he asked her, pure curiosity on his face, almost melting the black-haired-girl’s heart.

I do”, she responded straightforwardly, more honestly than she preffered. “I mean, I don’t want my soldiers to suffer, but I won’t tolerate disobedience”, she added shortly, then a light smile coloured her small face.

The lieutenant smiled too, almost aware of his effect on Eve, just tapped her shoulder gently and left her there. Eve choked on her own saliva and tried to gain her cool again. She blamed him for being like that.

Eve left Baekhyun there and went to training camp. The weather was nice, just cloudy, how she loved, a little windy, so she didn’t suffocate because of the summer’s heat. She stopped in front of the targets. She pulled out her revolver, and tried to aim, something, or maybe, better said, someone was blocking her view. She frowned, getting angry when she fixed her eyes on the culprit. She had an impulse of rolling her eyes in her orbits, but held it in.

General Oh, who do I owe this honor?” she pleaded sarcastically. He just smirked. “If you don’t mind, I’d love to train for my next mission which I hear it’s going to be very soon”, she added, getting slightly angry.

He didn’t move anyway, even if Eve’s tone was more than threatening. Eve eyed his crotch, he smirked again, but in a slight second he remembered when she hit him and flinched, and then it was Eve’s turn to smirk. He pulled a black box which he held behind his back. He handed it to Eve. Captain Eve put her revolver back and held the box in her small scarred hands.

She stared at it for a long time and then glared at the General who was patiently waiting for her to open the box. He was visibily more excited than she was. Eve sighed and opened the box.