Chapter 5

Reality filled in blood

Eve was breathing hard and her heart skipped with every move which was not hers. Baekhyun followed immediately behind her and the rest of 7 people who stayed went straight to the “building” from where the bullet came. It was more of a ruin, than a building, but it was not the time to judge the architecture of this ghost town which was more a war zone. Eve pointed with her fingers, spliting her team in groups of 3 and 4, because there were two entrances. Three came with her, because she was the Captain. Baekhyun followed his Captain and entered. It was really dusty, and the doors were kind of rusty. Everyone find it hard to breathe. Eve climbed the stairs and ran fast to the roof. Nobody.

Clear”, she said in a stern voice.

Her members went down.

Captain. Captain. Captain.”

Copy!” Eve yelled in her walkie-talkie, because it was not the time to be quiet.

We see him, he’s running after Soldier Park and our collegues”, he said worried.

Roger!” She looked worried at Baekhyun whose face was white in horror. “Let’s move! We gotta catch him alive!” Eve took again her walkie-talkie: “You have the permission to shoot, don’t kill him! We need him very much alive!

With that being said, Eve started running with her rifle held on tight to her chest. Both bullet belts banging in the back, but that didn’t stop her. Her inferiors followed, they saw him! Eve took out her walkie again, holding with the other hand the rifle.

He’s following you! Be careful! Over”, she screamed over the 2-way radio transceiver.

Copy that, Captain!

Baekhyun was filled with dark rage and started running faster, leaving Eve screaming behind him. Eve understood him very much, but it was pointless risking his life. Eve gave up, the short boy wouldn’t listen.

Baekhyun was already on his tracks, the sniper was not very skilled, but somehow he managed to  shoot Chanyeol. Baekhyun was worried sick, he knew he wouldn’t lose his friend, but Chanyeol was freaking unconscious and he couldn’t walk, so it was harder for his collegues to carry him to the scout cars. Baekhyun neatened his helmet and followed with his heart pounding and his muscles flinched in pain.

Eve ordered two of her inferiors to follow Baekhyun. The black-haired-girl was already panting. But she couldn’t allow herself to stop.

Captain, are you OK?” a soldier asked her between his breaths.

Eve just nodded and followed.

Don’t worry for me! Let’s just catch that bastard!

Yes, Captain!” 

Baekhyun fitted his weapon and fired like crazy. The sniper just escaped his bullets, he just ran after Chanyeol. “What is he doing?” Baek asked himself. Baekhyun left his rifle and took out his gun and ran faster as if he was running for his life, but he was just running to take revenge. Baekhyun suddenly stopped, fixed his position and fired. The shot was like a deaf-sound and it filled the air all around him, it was like the time froze until the sniper fell on the ground, grunting and holding his feet in pain. Baekhyun smirked and ran towards him. He jumped on him and began hitting him with his face, yelling at him:

How do you like this!? Do you like how it feels, huh?! You’re finished, fella!

His blind rage took over, and it wasn’t like that, but Chanyeol meant a lot to him, they were like brothers. He was his first friend in army, and for the first time, he fitted somewhere, most of his friends from Seoul found him annoying and left him at some point, but Chanyeol always enjoyed his stupid jokes. It was not until the sniper’s face was destroyed and full of bloond and not until two sets of hands grabbed him brutally from the enemy.

Baekhyun! Stop right now!” Eve roared angrily, because Baekhyun didn’t seem to be able to let go, until a little part of his brain was enlightened by his Captain’s stern, angry voice. Baekhyun batted confusingly his eyes. He glared at his Captain, then he realised his doing and avoided Eve’s piercing glare directioned back to him.

What has gotten into you? Seriously now! Haven’t you heard when I told you to stop?! You’re in big trouble, soldier Byun!

Baekhyun looked at her with puppy eyes, but that was not something that worked in army, particularly with Eve. Eve just looked at him and turned her back coldly at her inferiors.

Follow me!” Eve took out her walkie-talkie. “If there are teams who are still searching, please be back to the scout cars now! We’ve accomplished our mission. Over!

Copy that! On the way back! Over!” the walkie shouted. Eve sighed, relieved.

            “Soldier Byun, since you put the enemy in this state, you’re gonna carry him! Unload him of weapons, make sure he doesn’t escape. No help from your mates”, she added after a short moment.

The way back was quiet, Chanyeol was still unconscious, bringing a lot of misery on his mates. Baekhyun didn’t dare to speak another word, but he knew Eve was going to be hard on him from now on, he still didn’t feel sorry after the person he had to carry. Before going back to the scout cars, he took all of his belongings and put them in a raffia bag he took out from his backpack: cyanide pill, a gun, a dagger, another gun, a paper clip and a photo of a woman, an old one, probably his mother. A grimace appeared on Baekhyun’s face out of disgust. He gave his enemy a piggy ride to the scout cars and tied him well in the back, going then to the driver’s sit. It was already 01:37 AM. Because of the wounded, the road was longer. But once he was back in the car, Baekhyun felt relieved and he didn’t even get to dance with Death.

The walkie talkie broke the silence, making everyone in the front flinch.

Captain! Soldier Park is burning up! What should we do?

Eve snorted, she was already on edge, so she just scoffed:

Why do you even ask?! Don’t you have your aid kit?! Take care of him right away!

Yes, Captain! Over!” said a grumpy voice.

Eve put the walkie-talkie away, eventually she turned it off, even if she shouldn’t do that. She looked absently at the window, staring coldly into the dark. Baekhyun straightened his voice, multiple times, trying to get Eve’s attention, but Eve was done with him, at least for a week. He even made annoying sound, munching on his own tongue, trying to make Eve at least smile, but Eve’s mind was far-far away.

The road back was peaceful, no events and no comments. First thing Eve did was dissmissing all her troops.

Alright! Everyone free, go take a sleep.” She looked at everyone, and her gaze stopped to a particular someone. “Baekhyun, you stay! You’ll take Chanyeol to infirmary and you’ll put our little friend in a cell, then you’ll drive every scout car to its place and you’ll take care of everyone’s rifles and guns! Off.

But, Captain Kim...

No buts! Off you go! Now! Don’t make me repeat! You know I hate it when people make me repeat things! Off you go now!” Eve yelled, then turned her back again, going straight to the lieutenant.

Baekhyun sighed angrily, hitting the ground with his feet. He knew that if he didn’t obey, the punishment would just get worse, so he just put the enemy in the cell first, giving him one more hit before leaving him locked in his cold cell. Then he returned to Chanyeol who was on his back on the scout car. His fever went down, but he still needed a check from the infirmary. Baekhyun sighed again, and carried his friend on his back. "You really needed to be like this at 2 AM in the morning, Chanyeol?" Baekhyun thought to himself.