Chapter 2

Reality filled in blood

The soldiers and Eve’s troop, the generals and lieutenants were there too. The booth was filled with smoke, fire smoke and cigarettes’ smoke. It was clogged, but Eve didn’t really mind it, eventually, it was the last night of her break. She had to go back, she had to back-up her fellows. Eve sighed as she sat at a table, if she could call “it” like that. It was more like a barrel with two shabby chairs. She eventually sat up and went to suit herself with a beer. She grinned as she watched her draft got filled with the blonde liquid. She returned at her barrel in the corner, she liked to watch her fellows happily chatting, but not that night, that night all she could hear was murmurs, sighs and complains. As the time passed, and she was immersed in the people’s chatting, she didn’t sense ‘the’ someone who sat next to her. When she turned to raise her beer, she gasped and let the can go.

Ah, you startled me!” she said in a low tone, making the man smile. “What are you up to, lieutenant?” she asked in a cooler tone, as she was grabbing again her beer, took a long sip and put it down again.

Nothing much, waiting for tomorrow”, he replied, watching her face carefully. Eve tried to force a smile and looked at the crowd, pretending to be looking for someone.

Eve couldn’t really look into the lieutenant’s eyes for long, she felt really uncomfortable when he was around her. Her heart was beating fast and, in order to shut it down, she gulped her whole beer. The man raised an eyebrow, his face showing genuine curiosity towards the black-haired-girl. He eventually grinned, and sat up.

I’m leaving. Take care tomorrow, captain!” he said, while putting his hand on the girl’s left shoulder.

Eve got up quickly and saluted her lieutenant, while she was holding her breath, because she felt like she would burp anytime. The man slowly bowed his head and headed out. Eve let out a loud sigh and she plopped on the shabby chair. Suddenly, a familiar faced popped up at the entrance. It was her roomate. Eve waved at her like a crazy person, Jisoo apparently noticed her because she was making her way towards her army friend.

Jisoo gave her a bright smile as she sat down graciously on the chair the lieutenant sat before. Jisoo looked ethereal, even if her body posture was huge, she definetely stole some eyes, she had plump lips, high cheekbones, straight nose, big eyes. She wore a black tank top and camo trousers, a shy smile covered her face.

What’s up, girl?” Jisoo asked, sipping from her own beer. There it was again, her informal speech, annoying the out of Eve. The captain rolled her eyes, but without any glaring to her inferior.

The sky”, Eve replied, grinning.

I just hate your dad jokes, Eve. I’d really appreciate if you’d stop making them...

Well, whatever, you know I’m not gonna stop... So, are you ready for tomorrow?

Jisoo sighed as well and sipped again. She avoided her captain’s eyes and drew circles with her index finger on the table. Eve knew when she was doing that that the manly girl was really worried, so she didn’t push further with the questions.

She watched her friend finishing her beer and after that they headed to the dorm. Both girls could hear the bombs and the shots, but no one said anything. As the sun was rasing up, that was the moment when Eve was in her sweetest sleep, but the trumpet woke her up. She suddenly asked herself who woke up the trumpeter. She slapped herself mentally, but blamed it on the few hours of sleep as she realised that he was in the night shift, of course he’d be awake by now, when he had to “sing”.

It was 5:30 in the morning. Eve immediately sat up on her back, rubbing her eyes determined, as she cleared her vision, she sat up and went to take a shower, a quick one, she had no time to waste. As she chose a clean towel, she went to her roomie’s bed, knowing she was a heavy sleeper, Jisoo needed a boost. Eve sighed, she felt bad waking her up, but she was in the front line, she had to be there early.

Jisoo-ah! Wake up!” she uttered slowly, but Jisoo just moaned in response. Eve cleared her voice and tried again. “Soldier Park Ji Soo! If you don’t wake up in this second, I’m gonna fry yo’ !” Jisoo moaned again, but she took the blanket off of her and opened her eyes really slow. “Good, you woke up! Be ready in 5’, you have to be in front on the general in 15’. I’m gonna take a shower. Don’t dare to fall asleep again! You’ll be sent home!” Eve warned as she went in the shower.

Jisoo didn’t waste any time, and just got up really fast. She took off the pyjamas and began to rummage through her luggage. She took on her uniform and went to brush her hair and her teeth, might be the last time, so at least, she had to do it. Jisoo sighed and put her left hand on her chest where her heart was supposed to be. It pounded so fast, it felt like she would’ve a heart attack. Jisoo finished by putting her cap on and started running through the camp.

Eve was still in the shower, when she got out, her dorm was empty. She looked at the ceiling, offering a prayer for her friend. Eve combed her hair, and put it in a ponytail. She put on her uniform and headed out to meet her troop. It was about a training. She didn’t want to tire them too hard only if they had the guts to kid around. As the sun is up, she felt like their morals were up too.

It was just like yesterday, so quiet, so strange, it gave the black-haired-girl the chills on her spine. She gulped and went on to the training camp. Her troop was there, but one man was missing. She scrutinized the troop, trying to find out who was missing.

Where’s soldier Park?” Eve asked angrily. She only heard giggles, but no responses, Eve rolled her eyes. She subtly took out her revolver and held it against her thigh. She looked in their eyes, but they weren’t looking at her particularly, but somewhere behind her. She turned around really fast, putting the cold pipe in the center of his forehead. Soldier Park froze instantly. Eve smirked to the boy. He had an innocent crush on her and she didn’t even know.

To your position, Park! Now!

Yes, Captain!” Park saluted and avoided his captain’s revolver and headed to his place. Soon, his mates started punching him in the shoulders, making the tall man smile widely. He was really tall, looked skinny but he was well-built, he had big dark eyes, you’d have to know how to swim if you don’t want to drown in them, not so full lips, and milky white skin.

Attention!” the captain screamed, stopping any giggles and laughters. “As you know, we’ll try to go undercover as much as possible. So try not to get too much attention to yourself! Hear me, Byun!?” she screamed in the direction of a short man, with a cute expression.

Soldier Byun tried hard not to laugh as everyone knew he was the loudest one in her troop and the funniest. He saluted and bowed in front of his captain. His bangs covered his pretty brown eyes, but Eve caught a glimpse of them when he raised his head. Byun Baekhyun was the shortest in her troop and everyone treated him like a baby, he hated that, a lot. But, at least, he was grateful to his captain, she was the only one who treated him like a normal person.

Yes, ma’am, clearly!” he yelled back, going back to his position.

Alright! Be ready for the training, we’ll train, eat breakfast and...

She was interrupted by the bombing not so far away. She scanned the faces of her soldiers, most of them tried to maintain a poker face, but they didn’t really succeeded. Eve liked it, it was like piano, calming somehow, but she wouldn’t admit it. People would believe she’s crazy.

And then we’ll take a nap! Be ready! Go!

She watched them sweating, running, doing push-ups and pull-ups, others shot the ink, and others would just pretend to train, but Eve didn’t say anything, it wasn’t exactly the moment to do the nagging. She sighed and moved her eyes on a particular tall man who tried to be funny with her earlier. She smirked. Chanyeol was training passionately. Pumping those muscles.

Soldier Park!” she yelled. The tall boy turned around, poiting his index finger to himself. “Yes, you! Come here!” she gestured with her tiny hand. He let down the dumbbells and went to the captain. He put his hands on his hips, wiping the sweat on his camo trousers, looking down at his dream woman. She gestured again, to follow her. He followed like a puppy and almost tripped because Eve stopped all of sudden.

Soldier Park”, she said in a sweet tone, “is there a chance of you liking me?” she teased, tracing with her index finger on his chest, asking just for fun, she didn’t really believe her soldier would’ve a crush on her. She looked him right in the eye, but he couldn’t maintain the eye-contact for too long, and looked away, a red shade coloring his cheeks. “So you do”, she stated, shocked, but she didn’t show it while taking her finger away. “Mr. Park, I hope this won’t confuse you. If you see me in the danger, just continue to shoot, regardless of what happens to me...

But...” he tried to protest.

No ‘buts’, this is an order. Off to your post!