• e i g h t

Like Candy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
8 you can do anything  

Since the Ghost didn’t eat lunch I left to get mine alone. Closing the door to his office softly behind me, I noticed Seulgi’s desk was empty and felt my heart squeeze for a moment. It had been a week since the confrontation in the bathroom and she hadn’t said one word to me. The others had all picked up on the vibe between us, but they too didn’t seem eager to speak to me when I was sat at my desk. Only when I came down, like I did now, did they attempt to make small talk with me.

It had always been that way, I reminded myself, and I shouldn't take it personally. Because with every other assistant, none of us paid them much attention until they were on our level, a fact that made me now relate more to Nari’s hardships. How much easier would her life have been at Ghost PR if we had made that effort? If we had not seen the steps as a divide we couldn’t cross. 

“How are you getting on?” Tae-Joon asked as I descended.

“With the project? Alright, we’re making headway.”

“How is it working with…?” He nodded towards the Ghosts office.

“Fine.” When he raised his eyebrows knowingly I frowned. “Why?”

He cast the office another glance, as though afraid the Ghost was going to come out any moment.

“Come on, Seol, it must be awkward working with him.”

“It’s not.” I assured him, but the sympathetic look he gave me said he didn’t believe me. "Really, it's not."

“Are you coming tomorrow night?”

“Ah… No.”

“What? Why not? Is it because of…” this time his eyes went to Seulgi’s empty desk.

Ari got up to join us. “Don’t let that keep you from coming, Seol. You have us too. And anyway, she’ll come round eventually.” She said kindly.

“I just don’t want to make things awkward.”

“It won’t. These things are to bring us closer, to bond as a team. You’re part of the team too, so you should come.”

Team. The truth of it was, I was beginning to wonder whether I was a part of them anymore. It hadn't felt like it recently. 

“I’ll have a think about it.” I told her.

“Are you going for lunch?” Tae-Joon asked.

“Yeah, have you guys had yours?”

“No, we were just about to go. Let me get my purse and we can go together.” Ari smiled.

I returned it and waited while she and Tae-Joon gathered their things. It was the first lunch in over a week I hadn’t spent alone and though the two of them mostly bickered to themselves, they insisted on catching me up on the office gossip. Who was doing what project, the tales of difficult clients and recent celebrity scandals they were helping cover up. But it was the kind of talk I used to have with Seulgi so I was grateful for it. It was normal. 

As we stepped out of the elevator back into the office, we were laughing over a rude typo Ari had accidentally made to a client when I noticed Seulgi watching us from the kitchen. The smile dropped from my face at her accusing look.

“See you both later.” I told Ari and Tae-Joon.

“Same time tomorrow?” Ari asked as she walked to her desk.

“Sure.” I agreed as I climbed the stairs, aware of Seulgi still watching me.

So rather than sit at my desk awkwardly, I escaped into the Ghosts office and sat myself down on his sofas again. It was safer in here, I reasoned. Though Ari and Tae-Joon has obviously tried to ease some of the tension, I knew that for as long as Seulgi held this grudge against me I’d never be comfortable sat up on that platform, blatantly alone. The Ghost and I didn’t make small talk — I guess we weren’t at that stage yet, but the silence was comfortable and when the clock turned 5 I stretched tiredly, content with the work I’d done. 

“Home time.” I sighed happily.

“Oh. It’s five.” He spoke as I stood up.

“Yep! What time do you usually stay until?”

“Seven. Give or take.”

“Depending on your workload?” I assumed as I packed my tablet away into its case.

“Something like that.”

“Do you ever finish early?” He was shaking his head. “Why not?”

“I… I just don’t.”

“But you arrive before everyone else, it’s not fair that you leave after everyone too.” He blinked. I blinked, then my eyes widened in realisation. “Don’t tell me you work so long because you’re avoiding everyone?”

His gaze lowered to his computer monitor and it was pretty much a confirmation. It took effort to keep my jaw from snapping open in shock. How could he live like that?

“No. Not today.” I declared. “Come on, you can leave with me.”

Again he was shaking his head as I was speaking, but he must have forgotten how stubborn I could be. I marched around his desk and grabbed his mouse, quickly saved the document he was working on and began to close his desktop applications. The Ghost watched me, still shaking his head and tried to stop me, but I gently, but firmly, slapped his hands away.

“I-I have a lot to work on, I don’t mind working late.” He protested.

“Well I mind.” I told him as I closed the last one and clicked to log off. “It’s not right that you have to stay so long just to avoid everyone.”

”But—”

“You deserve some time too!”

“It’s not always like that…”

“Well then prove it. Leave here with me, now.”

I leaned back and watched him, challenging him with my gaze to refuse. He watched the computer logging off for a moment, seeming so… Lost. I took a breath to calm down my temper, reminding myself that this wasn’t as simple as simply wanting to avoid everyone. He had social anxiety. I had no idea how to handle that, medically speaking, but I knew just letting him carry on as he was couldn’t be healthy.

“We can leave together. No one will say anything to you, ok? I promise. And if anyone tries to say anything to you I’ll stop them. I can be quite scary you know.”

“I do know.” He muttered.

He still seemed reluctant but now I was determined. There wasn’t a lot I could do for him, but this… This was something I could do.

“Come on.” I urged, tugging as his sleeve for him to stand.

“I… I’ll stay.”

An idea came to me then. “Where’s your facemask?”

“Drawer.”

“Get it.” He opened his drawer and pulled it out. “Put it on. It can be your shield. No one can see anything but your eyes.”

He put it on slowly and I nodded in encouragement. “Good. Now get your stuff.”

I left his office to pack away my own stuff at my desk, leaving his door open so I could watch his progress. I pulled on my coat and he mirrored me, putting on his own. Grabbing my handbag, I waited by his door patiently as he glanced around his office for a moment, no doubt trying to change his mind, before finally coming to join me. I smiled encouragingly as he closed his office door.

Below people had already left and only a few who worked after 5 remained. I knew they were watching but I ignored them as I lead the way down the stairs, aware of the Ghost following me. At the bottom of the stairs I dropped my step to fall in line with him, walking at the side of the desks to shield him slightly, though he was of course taller than me. I wanted to reach out and take his hand and I balled mine into fists to stop me. He had this. His focus was ahead, and I repressed a smile at how brave he was being.

When we finally cleared the main office floor and was stood by the elevators, I turned to give him a reassuring smile as I heard him in a deep breath from beneath his mask. The door opened and we stepped inside. The moment they closed he let out another breath and leaned against the wall.

“You did it.” I praised. Reaching out I touched his arm gently. “See? Was that so bad?”

Under my hand I could feel him quivering slightly, his muscles tensed.

“Everyone stared.” He muttered lowly.

“Only because it’s the first time. If you leave with me every day at five they will get used to it.”

“R-right.”

“Please trust me.” I urged, giving his arm a squeeze before letting go.

He glanced towards me. “I do.”

My lips twitched and I couldn’t hold back my smile as his words affected me.

“Thank you.”

“For what?”

“Your trust.” The doors opened on the entrance. “It’s… I value it.” I told him seriously, before gesturing to the doors. “Come on. Let’s get out of here.”

Walking out of the main doors, I turned to watch him. His eyes were darting around the street, clearly still unnerved.

“Hungry?” I asked.

He turned to look at me, seeming confused by the question. “Not really.”

“Well I am and I could do with a drink. Come on, I know a great pojangmacha.”

“Ah, no, that’s ok—”

“You’ve got this.” I told him again, holding my fist up encouragingly. “Gho—” I flushed, and quickly correctly myself smoothly. “Go! CEO Byun fighting!”

“But—”

“You can keep your mask on if it helps. Just one drink, I promise. And food. I need food. I might look small and dainty, but I guarantee I eat more than anyone you know.”

His shoulders slumped in defeat and I grinned triumphantly as I lead him to a quiet pajangmacha, shouting out an order of chicken and soju as I directed us to a quiet table near the back. The Ghost looked completely uncomfortable now, sitting stiffly in his chair, eyes downcast on the table. I’d purposely taken the chair facing the other patrons, so he had his back to everyone, facing only me and the tent wall, but he still seemed unnerved. My shoulders sagged as I took in the sight of him, clearly out of his depth.

“Sorry.” I mumbled, slumping as I felt the weight of my actions. “Sometimes I’m too headstrong.” He glanced up and I gave him a tight smile. “I’m sorry for forcing you here.”

“You didn’t force me.” He said, and I thought he might be smiling behi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter