• t h r e e

Like Candy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
3 first days are always strange  

Come morning I’m a nervous mess as I enter the office. Chul waves merrily from his place behind the reception desk, raising his brows by how early I am and I return the wave with a little less cheer as I scan my ID. I usually start until 8.30, but it’s 7.30am and I’m here an hour early because after that weird dream I refuse to think about again couldn’t sleep.

I’d spent all night fretting on how to act today, how to face Seulgi and the others, how to be around Him after what happened. Could I pretend he doesn’t exist like usual? No, of course I couldn’t. I was his assistant now, but I’d never paid much attention to what Nari or the others did. According her to her it wasn’t much… And it worried me slightly.

Active by nature, I was used to always having something to do. Overviewing proofs, researching locations, contacting the angents of models… Was all that going to end now? Did Mina know? Would she miss me or not care? As the elevator opened on my floor I swallowed thickly as I spied my old desk. I wouldn’t be able to sit there anymore, I realised sadly as I approached it, running my hands along the surface. It was filled with my sticky notes, reminders, contact lists and to do lists. I plucked them all off, stacking them neatly and pressing them down inside my notebook. I didn’t have much on my desk, but picking it all up felt wrong somehow.

My eyes went to my new desk and I closed my eyes sadly.

“Morning!” Tae-Joon called as he stepped out of the kitchen with a cup of coffee. “Did you hear? The conference has been re-scheduled for tomorrow, apparently some gas main has blown up some coffee and shop and—Wait…" He eyed my stack of things. "You’re not leaving, are you?”

“Not exactly.” I murmured as I picked up my pen cup, which was in the shape of a cactus. It had been a staff gift for my birthday. “I’ve been re-assigned.”

“Oh. Where to now?” He asked, sipping his coffee as he watched me.

I cringed as I pointed to the landing. His mouth popped open.

“No!”

“Yes.”

“What did you do?” Stepping closer he lowered his voice. “This isn’t punishment for going to the hospital, is it?”

“No no… It’s not a punishment.” I assured him.

“Then… Why?”

“He needs an assistant and COO Park figured it would be best to have someone already in the company.”

“So he chose you?” He frowned.

I shrugged. “It makes sense. I’m just an Intern.”

“Well… Good luck, I guess. I don’t envy you.”

I doubted anyone would. With a brave smile I moved my stuff upstairs, noting how clear Nari’s desk was. Nothing on it was personal to her at all and it was clear she hadn’t been planning to stick around like she had said. I hoped it wasn’t an omen. Putting my meagre things away, I escaped to the kitchen, unsure what to do with myself, whether I should start on my old work or not. With my ‘COURT STAR’ mug, a gift from best friend, I stepped back into the office and made eye contact with COO Park, who was leaning against my old desk.

“There you are.” He smiled. “Bright and early, I like it.”

“I wasn’t sure what time I was to start.” I told him awkwardly.

“Your start time is 8, though he typically starts at 7.”

That would explain why I never saw him arrive in the morning.

“What time does he leave?”

His smile dropped as he glanced around at the others who had begun to arrive. They were watching the exchange with interest and I had no doubt Tae-Joon had already filled them in.

“Why don’t we talk in my office? I have the contract from HR.”

I followed him up to his office, taking a seat on his sofas. He retrieved paperwork from his desk before joining me, his smile back in place as he slid it towards me.

“I was afraid you’d change your mind.” He admitted.

“Why would I do that?”

“I figured you’d made the offer as a spur of the moment decision and after thinking it over you’d change your mind. I wouldn’t have blamed you.”

I chewed my lip, feeling guilty that the option had crossed my mind. But the thought of a permanent contract had kept me on board. Certainly not the puppy dog look.

“Well, I’m here.” I told him as brightly as I could. “I’m just not sure what I should expect.”

“It’s not a difficult role… Or at least, it won’t be to be his assistant. He’s not very… Demanding.”

I laughed nervously. “Yeah. I have heard that.”

“Things will be changing though.” He assured me. “You won’t be bored, that’s for sure. After tomorrows conference… Well. You’ll see.” He winked. “If you’re still on board, why don’t you look over the contract and let me know if you want to make any changes? Hours are 8 to 5 with an hour lunch. He will arrive before you and leave after so you don’t have to try match him.”

I picked it up, scanning over it. It was simple enough; a six month placement as Assistant to the CEO. The pay was more than I was on now and actually really good. I tried not to show how pleased I was at it, because with that sort of salary I would actually have the chance now to start saving for a better apartment. After skipping the usual HR jargon, I made my way to the end where I paused, re-reading the section with a frown.

“Non-disclosure?” I read aloud.

“A formality.” COO Park assured me quickly. “As Assistant to the CEO you may hear or learn things you can’t share with others.”

I supposed that made sense. I chewed my lip as I scanned the clauses on it, which basically came down to me being sued for more money than I’d ever make in a lifetime if I spoke about any details of my role. I lowered the contract nervously. Of course I had no intention of going around blabbing about what I’d hear, but it was still nerve wracking to tie myself down to something legally like this. Shouldn’t I have a lawyer before signing this?

“Don’t worry so much.” He said, noticing my expression.

“I’ve never signed anything like this before…”

“Like I said, it’s just a formality we’re implementing to stop what’s happened from reoccurring. We don’t want more assistants going around talking to reporters.”

“What about Nari?”

He paused, expression troubled. “She’s been dealt with.”

That sounded ominous, though I was sure it just meant she’d been paid off.

“Look… About the other part of this agreement…” I began uncomfortably. “I don’t want the others knowing about the placement afterwards.”

“Because they’ll gossip?”

“That… And I’m worried they’ll resent me.” I admitted. “We all want a permanent placement and if they find out I’m getting one…”

“I won’t tell anyone, though I’ll be honest and say I had no intention of doing so regardless of whether you asked me or not. I should hope it also goes without saying that…” he pitched his voice lower, though there was no chance we could be overheard anyway. “...We don't want people knowing about his... Condition. It should be his choice whether to tell people, though of course we can’t control whether they find out on their own, like you did. Either way I don’t want it to the source of office gossip. It can be our secret.”

“Does he know that I’m his assistant now?” I asked as I picked up the pen.

“Ah… Well… Actually, I was thinking we should go in and tell him once you’ve signed.”

I finished my signature and handed him the contract, wondering whether I’d just made a huge mistake. Twenty-four years old and it seems I’ve fallen through the cracks of heaven and hell and into straight purgatory, which had taken the form of an Assistant role. COO Byun also signed the contact and gave me a bright smile.

“Right. We should get this over with. Let’s go.”

I scrambled after him, putting my lukewarm coffee down on my desk before I followed him to the door of the Ghosts office. He didn’t bother to knock before he strolled in and I hesitantly followed, noting it was as dark as it had been last time, despite it being such a sunny day outside.

The ghost looked up from his desk and the moment he spotted me he quickly looked away. I tried to hide my smile.

“Great news!” COO Park announced cheerfully as he sat himself down on the sofa. “The conference has been moved to tomorrow and I’ve found you a new assistant. You two have already met yesterday, of course, so I’m sure I don’t need to make introductions.”

I felt my cheeks heating at the reminder of yesterday and this time it was me avoiding eye contact. Silence followed COO Park’s words and the tension in the room was nothing short of uncomfortable. This must have been what Nari felt, I thought.

“No.” Came his clipped response.

My gaze snapped up to him, stunned by the annoyance in his voice, but COO park just laughed.

“Too late, she’s signed the contract already, haven’t you Seol?”

I didn’t reply because there really was no need to. The Ghost‘s eyebrows lowered.

“Then tear it up.” He ordered.

“No. I don’t think I will…” COO Park grinned, clearly unaffected by the Ghost’s disapproval. “She’s perfect for the role.”

“No, she isn’t.”

“Of course she is, aren’t you, Seol?”

Again I didn’t answer and I felt him glance towards me before he fixed his glare on COO Park.

“I don’t need an assistant.”

“You do, now more than ever. You’ve seen what’s been written about you — this is the solution to fix it. Your personal assistant for the next six months. She’s signed the contract and is eager to start.”

Once again the Ghost looked over at me and I tried to keep still. His eyes narrowed for the briefest of moments as he studied me, though never once met my actual gaze. I wasn’t sure what he was scrutinising, exactly. I was wearing a sunflower print blue louse tucked into a black skirt and my black ankle boots with black socks. Nothing about what I was wearing was out of place, since it mirrored the styles the other women wore. But as his mouth tipped down further into a frown and his eyes looked away dismissively I had a feeling he’d somehow found me lacking.

I blinked in total and utter shock at the whole thing. Never in all my 24 years have I had someone look at me with such… Contempt? I couldn’t even describe the look, but whatever it had been in his expression was insulting and I bristled.

“She’s not qualified.” He voiced his assessment.

And then I did speak.

“For what? Sitting miserably as my desk?” I scoffed. “Don’t worry, I’ve learned what the job role entails from Nari in plenty of detail. You might have scared away your other Assistants with that attitude but not me.”

He blinked slowly at his computer monitor as my words process

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter