• f i v e

Like Candy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
5 blindsided, but in a good way  

When COO Park arrived, waving cheerfully at the reporters I tensed, unsure how he was going to play this. Seulgi had said he’d refused the script the legal department had written, instead choosing to use his own, though as he sat at the desk he carried no paperwork.

“Good afternoon all!” He greeted the reporters with his best smile. “I’m sorry to keep you all inside on such a lovely day.”

I relaxed with a sigh. COO Park was as charming as ever. But as the questions began, I was as nervous as the others as we watched him get hammered with uneasy questions from the moment it began.

“Is it true the CEO’s Assistant was taken to the hospital?”

“Yes, it is true. One of our assistants was rushed to the hospital due to personal circumstances.”

“Can you confirm whether those circumstances involve CEO Byun?”

“Although I cannot disclose the reason for her hospital stay due to data protection, be rest assured it has nothing to do with her professional occupation at Ghost PR.”

“What do you have to say about the five other former assistants who have made allegations of psychological trauma at the hands of CEO Byun?”

“I found the news quite distressing, as we all did at Ghost PR, as we have never had any formal complaints made.”

“None at all?”

“No, none”

On and on the questions went and though COO Park answered each one with an easy smile and confidence I knew I could only hope to ever pull off, I noticed the shift in his casual stance as the question on everyone’s mind was asked.

“Where is CEO Byun? Why isn’t he here to answer for himself?”

COO Park picked up the water bottle and took a drink. Capping the lid again he sighed regretfully.

“Unfortunately CEO Byun is tied up overseas. An issue with flight times meant he couldn’t make it today.”

I almost startled at the lie, barely keeping my reaction form showing. CEO Byun was certainly not abroad and COO Park certainly knew that. So did the other members of staff, but I noted they didn’t react at all to the sound of it. Had they known he’d say that? I wondered what had been said during the meeting after I’d left with the Ghost and wished I’d stayed.

“Then what does he have to say about this situation?”

“He’s understandably hurt by the allegations, but with the new contract he’s taken on personally, he hopes to show anyone still concerned that they are nothing but accusations made by disgruntled employees by holding a showcase in two months time. He’ll be working on it with his assistant.”

There was a murmur through the room at this and I felt all my co-workers turn to look at me and it was clear they hadn’t expected that answer. I remained frozen in shock, a knot forming in my throat that made it incapable for me to speak even if I wanted to. Which I certainly did not. The reporters were practically bouncing with excitement at the announcement, while I felt something akin to panic.

“Who is his personal assistant?”

“I cannot disclose her personal information, but she is someone who has worked at our company for the past two years comfortably beside CEO Byun. She volunteered for the role, determined to help put the rumours to rest.”

“CEO Byun has never been directly involved in a project.” One reporter pointed out skeptically.

“He’s assisted me on many projects — but normally as a ghost project-partner. But yes, this will be his first public project.”

“And it will be a sole one with just his assistant.”

“That’s correct.”

“Is his assistant qualified?”

COO Park’s gaze darted to me for a moment and he smiled. “I believe she has what it takes, yes. I have noticed that they compliment each other’s strengths and weaknesses rather well.”

Next to me Seulgi tensed and I closed my eyes. This couldn’t be happening…

“That’s all for questions.” COO Park announced suddenly. “Thank you all for taking the time to attend. It’s a lovely day outside, so please take advantage of it and soak up some vitamin D. Not that any of you need it.” He winked.

“Thank you for clearing up the situation.” One female reporter answered him.

“Yes. It’s a relief to hear this is all a misunderstanding.” Another agreed.

COO Park gave them his most dazzling smile and I’m sure it wasn’t just the Ghost PR female staff who swooned. As the reporters stood and said their goodbyes to COO Park, he offered them all complimentary gift bags as an apology for the delay, despite it not being our fault. Seulgi and the rest of the team moved to hand these out while I dashed from the room, ignoring the looks from my co-workers. The Ghost-Puppy had a lot of explaining to do.

“Did you know?” I demanded as I stormed into his office.

He looked up from his computer, startled at my outburst. But he doesn’t look away, that fact not registering with me in my rage.

“Know about what?”

“The bombshell COO Park just dropped in the conference.”

But I can already see from his expression he has no idea what I’m talking about. With a disgruntled sound I threw myself down on his sofa and buried my face into the pillow to let out a scream.

“Ah, I had a feeling you were surprised.” Came COO Park’s amused voice.

I looked up from the pillow and quickly straightened up, standing and smoothing down my blouse. COO Park sat on the sofa opposite the one I’d been freaking out on and crossed his legs with a calm that I definitely didn’t feel.

“What happened?” The Ghost asked, walking over to hover near COO Park, but not taking a seat.

“I’ve told them you’re taking on a personal client project with Seol.” COO Park said.

“Why would you tell them that?”

“Because it’s true.”

A heavy silence came after that admission and I sat down heavily at the finality of that statement. He hadn’t said it just as an excuse then to placate reporters, like I’d been hoping.

“It makes sense logically.” COO Park explained. “You need to improve your image and to do that you need to show you can work alongside an assistant in a positive way. This contract is a high profile one and will attract attention. You obviously get along with Seol, so I have no doubt the two of you can pull this off.”

I glanced towards the Ghost and winced, because looking at him now you’d never ever come to the conclusion he could work well with me — or anyone.

“You know I don’t take on projects.” He told COO Park in a cold, dangerous tone that matched his reputation.

“Right, and that’s part of the problem. People have a bad image of you because they’ve never dealt with you. If you put yourself out there, take on this client with Seol and show you aren’t the tyrant they all think you are then the rumours will be put to rest for sure.”

The Ghost’s eyes darted down to me and I wasn’t sure what he was looking for in my expression. Reassurance? Shared annoyance? Disgust? I showed none of those things and he closed his eyes, drawing in a deep breath through his nose.

“You’re punishing me.” Was his resigned conclusion.

“No. I’m trying to help you.” Standing up COO Park slapped the Ghost’s shoulder in the way that guys did. “You’ll see. This will work.” He said, giving his shoulder a squeeze. Turning to face me he gave a small smile. “I’ll have my assistant email you over the details of the project, Seol.”

I nodded and stood as he left, not sure if I wanted him to leave or not. When he was here he handled the Ghost’s outbursts, seemed even used to them, but with him gone I wasn’t sure if I could handle it. Turning to face him, he didn’t seem as annoyed as before, though by his expression it was still clear he wasn’t happy. He must have been eating a lime candy before I’d come in because this close to him I could smell it, tart, airy and refreshing. I could almost feel the zest smarting on my own tongue as it breathed it in.

“I guess we’ll be partners on this.” I said, and before I think too much into it I held my hand out to him.

The silence that stretched between us seemed stifling, the space between my hand and him seeming infinite, instead of the two feet it was. Some part of me felt like it was a weird metaphor for us, the lowly assistant and the CEO, a social and professional gap I’d never be able to make up. I didn’t realise I was holding my breath until his hand twitched as his side and finally lifted. Long fingers and a broad palm touched against my own. His skin was warm and smooth, his hold firm, hand engulfing mine which felt tiny in comparison. I exhaled the air in my lungs in relief.

Stood in front of him now I also realised he was taller than me, even with my heeled boots. When I would see him stood next to COO Park, I’d always thought he was short, but it was clear now that wasn’t the case — COO Park was just tall, at least 6,1” whilst CEO Byun was perhaps 5,8” or 9. Compared to my 5,2” frame he towered over me so I had to tip my chin up to look into his face. His dark eyes were focused on me without aversion.

“I would never violate your trust.” I blurted, because I wasn’t the best with uncomfortable silences.

My brain always wanted to fill them and with him so close looking at me directly, the scent of lime in the air, I was apparently once again short circuiting.

“I respect you— as my boss. We may not know each other very well, but I’ll do my best to help you with this project. So… Please trust me back. Give me tasks to do, tell me anything you need, heck, even vent to me if you need to. I will never go running to reporters or anything like that.”

His expression softened and when he released my hand from his I felt the loss of it immediately as the cool air touched my palm. It dropped limpl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter