Chapter 3

How about me?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Look who’s here! The cutest kid in the world!”

Sana ran to pick Chaeyoung up the moment she walked in with her mom.

“Who’s your favorite auntie?”

“Auntie Momo!” This was not said by Chaeyoung.

“Auntie Jihyo!” This was not said by Chaeyoung either. Chaeyoung’s eyes locked on Mina--who came over with a smile, she raised her arms and Mina did not need more hints to take her into her embrace.

“Oh! You like auntie Mina the most!”

“I was her favorite two weeks ago!”

Nayeon just smiled when watching everything. Jeongyeon stayed beside her, hand found hers and gripped.

“Good evening. I’ve missed you.”

“You saw me yesterday.”

“I didn’t see you this morning and afternoon.”

Nayeon giggled, leaning her head on Jeongyeon’s shoulder. “I missed you too.”

The days had become better. So much better. Her friends were always here, she finally came back to them. She woke up with happiness now, and Chaeyoung would ask for her aunties all the time.

Oh, not just happiness, sometimes also warmth. Jeongyeon would stay over at their apartment whenever she could. They always held hands, cuddled, talked about everything, until one of them fell asleep first.

“Auntie Jeong.”

“Yes?”

“Are you going to live with us?”

Jeongyeon’s hands paused from brushing Chaeyoung’s hair.

“Do you want me to live with you?”

“Yes! Mommy is happy now, because she has you! And I want mommy to not feel lonely. She feels lonely when I sleep.”

“How do you know, cutie? You’re asleep.”

“I just know!”

Chaeyoung pouted and Jeongyeon just chuckled. She pinched her cheek.

“I love your mommy. It’s different from the way she loves you…but it’s equally strong. You want the best for her…but you can’t help but want her to be yours.” Jeongyeon snickered to herself, knowing it was probably too difficult for Chaeyoung. “I want to live a life with her. I want to be with her and watch you become a pretty girl…and get love letters from boys. Or girls.”

“I don’t need boys. I have Tzuyu.”

“Oh? You like her? She likes you?”

“We like each other!”

“…You are not fooling me, right? Kiddo?”

“I am not!”

Jeongyeon laughed. “Sure, I believe you. Now go give your mommy a kiss. It’s generous for her to let me monopolize you for 15 minutes.”

As always, Nayeon opened her arms to her daughter who ran over. And like several times before, Jeongyeon let them have the room and waited in the living room. Nayeon would come out in less than 20 minutes.

“Hey.”

“Hey.”

Nayeon sat down beside her. “You tired?”

“I got the best kind of rest now.” Jeongyeon pulled her closer. “I feel great.”

She kissed Nayeon on the lips, and Nayeon kissed back softly. Jeongyeon didn’t have the chance back in college, but she knew the taste of Nayeon’s lips never changed.

“I have something for you.”

“Huh?”

Jeongyeon took a small paper bag out from her pocket. It was light blue and palm-sized.

“I kept thinking when the good time would be. I was about to give it to you...that night.”

Nayeon gulped, watching Jeongyeon pull out a ring. “I don’t know if now is a good time, but...it had been with me for too long. It is yours.” 

The ring glimmered under the yellow light. “Will you be mine, Nayeon? From now on and...forever?”

Jeongyeon was nervous, and when Nayeon didn’t respond for more than 10 seconds, she was more nervous.

“Nayeon?”

Tears dripped down Nayeon’s cheeks, she pulled Jeongyeon in for a long and deep kiss.

“If time reversed and you asked me that night...I would say yes. A thousand times’ yes.”

Jeongyeon knew she would hear a But.

“But now...I still have issues to deal with. It would be unfair to you if I let them exist. So Jeongyeon, please...”

The following words were almost like whisper.

“Will you wait for me?”

Jeongyeon could never say no to any of Nayeon’s requests. Never.

“I don’t want you to face anything alone. But I also know there’s something that I should not take part. So what else can I do? I can only respect your decision.”

“I’m so sorry, Jeongyeon.”

“I’ve waited for years. If a couple more days means forever…I’ll wait. Just remember I’m here."

She held Nayeon’s hand, gently placed the ring on her ring finger. It fitted perfectly.

“I love you. Don’t you forget this.”

***

“I thought you’re never gonna agree on this meetup.”

It was a big coffee shop, but they were the only customers. Nayeon couldn’t help but wondered if Jackson paid the manager to do so.

‘How’s Chaeyoung?”

“She’s with my parents.”

“Oh. Ok.” Jackson tried not to make the atmosphere too weird. “You wanna try their cappuccino? I order every time I come.”

“As long as it’s clean.”

It was obvious that Jackson tensed. Nayeon scoffed slightly, she knew it was not all his fault. But he really did not have the right to act innocent.

“Nayeon,” Jackson’s shoulders slumped, looking listless. “I get that you don’t want to forgive me. And I told you I’m sorry. I never wanted to hurt you.”

Mr. and Mrs. Wang said he was also a victim. His so called friends didn’t just drug her, they drugged him too.

Yours was the typical one that could cause you to lose conscious. You should have been more careful, this could have been avoided.

His would make him feel restless, hot...scorching. And painful. He suffered a lot more than you. He had to let out eventually.

“And I’m sorry about what my parents said to you. I wish I could tell them to shut up.”

Nayeon shifted o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter