Chapter 2

How about me?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“They are staring at you again.”

“I’m not blind. And I’m not deaf either.”

“Blame yourself for being too pretty.” 

Nayeon made a face and Jeongyeon just poked her cheek playfully, affectionately.

“Geez, you two.” Jihyo rolled her eyes. “Get a room already.”

“Shut up. Get me out of here. I don’t want to get cornered again.”

With the girls’ cover, Nayeon left the classroom safe and sound. Those boys had been like this for a while--staring, talking, laughing. Nayeon didn’t want to waste any time or energy on them. They were just acting childish and ridiculous.

“If you want me to walk you home, you only have to ask.”

It was supposed to be a cheesy line, but the way Jeongyeon said it was sincere.

“I know you have plans with your family tonight.” Nayeon squeezed her hand lightly. “Everything’s fine. I can handle it.”

“Are you sure?”

“Of course. We’ve had this kind of...families dinner a couple times. Nothing can happen beside awkwardness.”

“If you say so.” Jeongyeon was not very convinced, but she did not want to interfere too much either. “See you tomorrow.”

“See you. Bye.”

Nayeon took a bus and arrived to her home not long after. She saw three pairs of shoes at the entrance, which didn’t belong to any of her family members.

The Wang family arrived early. Nayeon heard Mrs. Wang and her mom were chatting in the kitchen, her dad was also talking to Mr. Wang in the living room. She made sure she did not make any sounds when rushing up the stairs to her room.

“Hello there.”

Nayeon almost bumped her head on the door. Jackson was leaning on the handrail, the green baseball cap on him looked extra extra.

“Mr. Im said I can look around by myself.”

“Sure. If he said so.”

“Can I...come in?”

Nayeon wanted to refuse, but she gave in when hearing the laughter from Mr. Wang and her dad. She entered her room first and left the door open. Jackson took that as a yes and followed right after.

“I know you are angry with me. I want to explain.”

Explain. Not apologize.

“I’m listening.”

“I told the boys we grew up together. We are playmates and neighbors and...business partners. Well, our fathers are. And they started making fun of me.”

“Did you say something funny?”

“No! They could not believe...we are not a couple. Or...we haven’t had any...intimacy.”

Haven’t had. Even though Nayeon could sense the meanings behind their sights and gabbles, it was still very unpleasant to actually hear it.

“You think being friends with them make you look cool? Or independent?”

“Nayeon, I’m trying to...”

“Who gave them this idea that every boy should sleep with every girl they know?”

Jackson swallowed. He wasn’t expecting that Nayeon would point it out directly.

“Listen carefully, Jackson.” Nayeon pinched the bridge of her nose. She had to make herself clear. “Your dad made rules for you, yes. Your mom always acts overprotective toward you and makes you a mother’s boy, yes. You want to break their bonds, I understand.”

Jackson’s brows twitched a little, but Nayeon would not stop because of that.

“You should prove yourself with your own abilities. Perhaps starting from not taking so many allowances from daddy or asking your driver to bring you a lunch box mommy made when you don’t want to eat at school. Making friends with those seem-to-be-popular guys doesn’t make you man up.”

Out of good intention, Nayeon tried to say the following words with a softer voice. “You have your merits, there will be girls who appreciate that. You don’t need to get approval from your...brothers, is that how you call them? You deserve better friends! Haven’t you realized they just love taking advantages of you because you come from a rich family? Acting like an adult and be yourself. Geez, they need to learn to be respectful and being more mature too.”

What Nayeon said was true. So true that Jackson felt he was being exposed.

“Nayeonnie? You’re home?”

“Yes, mom. I’ll be downstairs in 5 minutes.” Nayeon turned to Jackson again. “I’ve given you my honest thoughts. I’d love to see you accept them. Now...excuse me.”

Nayeon left for the bathroom and closed the door. I wasn’t harsh...was I? She kept thinking as the water came down from the faucet.

The next day, the girls all looked at her with wide eyes when they heard what she told him. Two days later, she saw that group of boys, they weren’t making annoying noises, but Nayeon could feel their sights did not change. Jackson was with them, and Nayeon wasn’t surprised.

She had said what she had to say. Jackson also had made his choice. As long as they didn’t come and bother her, she didn’t want to have any contacts.

“You’ve already made yourself clear to him.”

Momo whispered when she sat next to her in English Literature class. “When are you gonna make yourself clear to her?”

“Who?”

“Oh, Nayeon. Serious?”

Seeing her flushed cheeks, Momo snickered. “You two would be such a cute couple if you confessed to each other already.”

“We are not...like that.”

“Not yet. Call me anytime if you need help on it.”

“Who knows?” Nayeon didn’t even realize Sana was sitting in front of them, listening all the time. “Yoo Jeongyeon might come to me and ask for my help!”

“Wanna bet?”

“Yes! One Shiba Inu plushie!”

Nayeon sighed in defeat, but she also smiled when thinking of their words.

A couple...? Me and Jeongyeon?

Almost at the same time, she got a message on her phone.

“I’m free for the entire night. Wanna grab a strawberry milkshake from the food truck? Go home together?”

Nayeon grinned and typed quickly.

“See you in 2 minutes. I’m skipping the rest of the class.”

Days passed one after another, the weather got hotter each day, every student was talking about the summer night party which the student council was about to hold. Beers, wines, snacks, music...everything about a party was ready. Only the location was left unknown.

“They are making it so mysterious. Don’t tell me they haven’t decided.”

“That’s impossible. They have promoted the party every day for a month, I think it’s a huge and luxurious place, they want to make it a surprise.”

“It’s a villa.”

The girls turned to Nayeon. “Oh. Did I just give out a spoiler?”

“How do you know?”

“Well...” Nayeon shrugged. “Jackson’s dad owns it. He lent to the student council.”

“...Why am I suddenly not excited anymore?”

“Me either...”

“Hey, don’t be! The villa belongs to the students that night, they can’t possibly interfere anything...can they?”

“They can’t.” Jeongyeon’s hand reached to her backpack and touched something inside. “You girls will all be there?”

“If you’re going.” 

“Yep. If you guys going, I’m going.”

“All right. I guess we’re all going!”

Nayeon and Jeongyeon exchanged a look and smiled. Nayeon smiled because of their friends, Jeongyeon smiled thinking of her plan for that night.

It’s about time...right?

***

The villa was in suburb, so the student council had sent three shuttle buses to pick up the students. The girls didn’t get on the shuttle buses because Sana’s dad had a SUV, big enough for them to drive there together.

There were supposed to be six of them. But only five were sitting in the car when it was running on the highway. Jeongyeon had left the school since noon when she heard her dog, Kookie, got hurt in a dogs fight. She told the girls to go first and no need to wait for her, she would borrow her dad’s car as soon as everything was settled.

You must make it, Yoo Jeongyeon. Jihyo peeked at the review mirror, Nayeon’s eyes were locking on her phone, waiting for any messages. You finally wait till this day.

By the time the girls arrived, the music was loud enough for them to hear from the parking area. It was indeed a luxurious villa, Nayeon thought it had become bigger compared to her memory. Her family had been here once when she was a kid.

Everyone was partying around. The tables that had snacks and drinks were already showing some messes, some boys had started making out with their girls in the corners. Nonetheless, the atmosphere was high and students were laughing and cheering, all worries seemed to have gone in this place.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter