Chapter 1

How about me?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

What a perfect day to start a new life.

Jeongyeon stopped her bike at the front of the store, looking back at the blue sky. Sunny, windy, fresh breeze…Something good would definitely happen today.

“I don’t deny that keeping a smile can make the customers feel more relaxed.” Her older sister, Sungyeon, showed up from the storage. “But you look like an idiot.”

“Morning, sis. I know you love me.”

“We just passed the rush hour.” Sungyeon pointed and the campus gate. “The students don’t eat breakfast at home had all got theirs from here.”

“Like mom said, dad was brilliant. Who would have thought after like...how long is was? Nine? Or ten years? This college became one of the best of the city, tripled the number of the students and merchants...and even tourists! I still remember I thought dad bought a wasteland when he first brought us here.”

“So was I. There was nothing around, literary, nothing. Only our small grocery shop and some stray kittens.”

“It’s a big one now.”

“No, it’s not.” Sungyeon chuckled. “But it’s indispensable.”

Jeongyeon nodded, a light sigh escaped from her lips and Sungyeon didn’t fail to notice.

“You know,” She patted her younger sister’s cheek. “I can do this with Haeyeon. You already got your dream team, you don’t have to work yourself so hard.”

“Come on, you’re telling me to leave my two older sisters with all these sundries and weird college students? I’m the young and strong...and attractive one, you two cannot live without me.”

Jeongyeon thought Sungyeon would hit her, or rolled her eyes, but she gave her a sweet weird smile.

“If you say so,” Sungyeon moved her steps to the back, “I’ll leave those pretty guys to you.”

“What?”

She turned around and saw three, no, four bulky boys...no, a basketball team walked in. All sweaty, all had a dirty towel on their necks, laughing and yelling. Probably just finished their morning training and came to have some cold drinks. One of them almost knocked over a carton of soda the moment he came in.

“Hey, watch your step!”

Sungyeon was evil as always.

***

A day passed quickly, the sky turned into dark blue before the girls were aware. The clock on the wall showed 8:25, it was about time to close.

“Excuse me?”

Jeongyeon heard the voice but didn’t see the person. She was arranging some bags of chips behind a goods shelf.

“Are you still open? Can we buy something?”

“Yeah, sure.” Sungyeon gestured the girl to come in. “We usually close between 8:30 to 9:00. You got plenty of time.”

“Thank you.” The girl bowed and turned. Sungyeon felt this girl looked quite familiar, but her attention was driven away when a little girl showed.

“Strawberry lollipop, right, Chaeyoung?” The child nodded. Sungyeon couldn’t help but smile when meeting Chaeyoung’s big and clear eyes.

“Let’s go get one.”

At that moment, Sungyeon remembered who she was. It felt like someone just smacked her head.

Oh my god…

“N-Nayeon…?”

Jeongyeon blinked once, twice. The girl did the same. She parted her lips, trying to respond something, but nothing was able to come out from her dry throat.

“It’s…been a while.” 

In the end, it was still Jeongyeon who kept on talking. “Great to see you again.”

“Yeah…” Nayeon tried to smile. “…it’s been long.”

They looked at each other, so many questions were in Jeongyeon’s mind, she had to admit she was more happy than curious. She had never expected to meet Nayeon again like this.

“How…”

“I found it, mommy!” The little girl ran over and grabbed Nayeon’s hand. “Can I have two? They are so small.”

Jeongyeon’s eyes locked on the little girl. Her daughter.

“Hello, sweetie.” Jeongyeon squatted down to have the same eye level. “How about this? Your mommy buys you one lollipop, and auntie gives you the other as a gift, ok?”

“A gift?”

“Yep.”

Chaeyoung looked up at her mother. Nayeon smiled and nodded.

“OK!”

“What should you say, Chaeyoung?”

“Tank you, auntie!”

Jeongyeon giggled and patted her head. After paid, Jeongyeon walked them to the door, her eyes locked with Nayeon’s again.

“Thank you. Really.”

“That’s not a big deal, you know.”

“You made her happy.” Nayeon smiled lovingly at Chaeyoung who was tearing the wrapper. “She was a bit sulky because I got off work late and didn’t take her to the park.”

“Your workplace is…nearby?”

“I think so. I can see the campus from my office window, it’s  just a few blocks away.”

“Ok.” That’s good to know.

“Um…” Nayeon rubbed her arm with slight uneasiness. “We should probably go now. It’s getting late.”

“Yeah, o-of course.” Jeongyeon tried to smile brightly. “…See you?”

Nayeon didn’t look at her, but she answered.

“See you.”

“Bye, auntie!” Chaeyoung waved happily at her.

5 minutes had passed and Jeongyeon was still staring at the direction where Nayeon left for. Sungyeon turned off the lights, closed the door and stood beside her sister.

“It’s really her.”

Jeongyeon didn’t talk. Tons of memories followed by questions, she was regret that she let Nayeon go too easily. Like 4 years ago.

“You did well.” Sungyeon said as if she heard her minds. “I was afraid you would jump to her and drag her home with you.”

“Maybe I should.” Jeongyeon gulped. “But I’m not brave enough.”

“Don’t be stupid. Use your own way and take your…take her steps. I’m sure you’ve got the chance.”

“Why? I don’t even know where she lives, there are like two dozens of buildings around that can have a view of the campus.”

“No worries. She’ll come back.”

Sungyeon handed her a yellow purse and Jeongyeon’s eyes widened.

“YOU STOLE HER PURSE?”

“NO! She left it on the counter! She could only see you, ok? I just…didn’t give it back to her in time!”

She could only see me? Jeongyeon looked at the direction Nayeon went again.

Why you never said anything?

What have you been through, Nayeon?

***

“If you don’t stop staring at that number,”

Momo’s voice appeared from behind. “I already keyed in on my phone. She is just one call button away.” 

“She changed her number. Since 4 years ago.” Jeongyeon didn’t move her sight. “And you know that.”

“Then what are you waiting for? Ugh, I thought I could be the cupid this time.”

Momo flopped on the couch--the couch she once complained that looked stupid in the dance studio. “Forget about the number. You said she was alone? I mean, not with ...that man?”

“I didn’t see him with them.”

“Perhaps he’s not in the picture anymore.” Momo said with a confident tone. “I never believed when the rumor said they were in love, and even got married.”

“Why?”

“I don’t know. They just don’t look good together.”

Everything changed that night. Jeongyeon didn’t show up at that summer party, and everything changed. She clicked the massage open, the one she sent to Nayeon that night was still there.

“Sorry, Nayeon, don’t think I can make it, kookie is not in a good condition…I’ll make it up to you tomorrow? Grande chocolate milkshake, ok?”

And Nayeon never replied. Jeongyeon knew it was not her fault, but for the past years, she never stopped thinking what would have happened if she had rushed over for her.

“Ring—“

Jeongyeon almost jumped up from the floor. The caller ID showed a number she did not save in her phone. Could it be…?

“H-Hello?”

The other side was quiet for 5 seconds. Jeongyeon heard a swallow, she wasn’t sure it was hers, or hers.

“…I knew you would pick up.”

***

“I apologize for my sister.”

Jeongyeon gave the purse back with both hands. “She’s…dumb.”

Nayeon chuckled. “Thank her for me. It would cause so many problems if I had to re-apply my IDs. Oh, and thank you, of course. You don’t have to run all the way here to make sure I got it back.”

“I’m responsible for this, too.” Jeongyeon made a light cough. “You…come here during lunch break?”

“Yeah, I got an hour.”

“Where exactly...are you working at? Um, if you don’t mind telling me.”

Nayeon smiled. “I should’ve told you last time. You know the 8-storey building right across the campus’ west gate? The KRC building?”

“Yeah, I know that. It has a coffee shop on the first floor, right?”

“Right. The third and fourth floor, that’s where I’m working at. My uncle and auntie owns that company, I’m working as an assistant for them.”

“I see.” Now I know where her workplace is. Next is her apartment.

...Wait. What the hell am I thinking?

“How’s...Chaeyoung?” Jeongyeon changed the topic. She cared about that little girl anyways. “Did my gift buy her off?”

“It did.” Nayeon laughed, the bunny teeth showed and Jeongyeon realized how much she missed seeing them. “She even asked me about you this morning.”

“Really?”

“When

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter