New Lesson

Extra Curricular Activities - A ChanSoo Fanfiction
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyungsoo sighed as Yeri went in his office to give him this week’s modules from his school. It was 1:50 p.m. that Monday, and he didn’t know whether Chanyeol would even show up, having ignored his 200+ messages on Instagram over the entire weekend.

 

All unseen since Friday.

 

He was tempted to ask Heechul for Chanyeol’s cell phone number, but his pride won out. His secretary had been giving him this knowing grin the whole of Saturday, about how Kyungsoo was doing everything he could, even rummaging through boxes and boxes of dusty, dirty second-hand clothing with his bare hands, just to find Chanyeol’s grandfather’s coat.

 

And he had never done anything like this before, to exert this much effort for someone.

 

Not even for Jongin.

 

But then, he never had any complicated incident with Jongin, because his ex-boyfriend had never been mad at him. And they never, ever had a big fight that lasted more than a day.

 

Kyungsoo now felt like a desperate boyfriend trying to make amends, when in reality he just wanted to say how sorry he was.

 

For pushing his tutor out of his comfort zone.

 

For ing Chanyeol into the limelight, and now he had gained nearly half a million followers on Instagram, at the assumption that he was dating Do Kyungsoo.

 

For making Chanyeol an unofficial model of Gravity, that Kyungsoo received a call from the Board of Directors this morning, asking him about this new fresh face that the public passionately responded to, and proposing to sign him to model for the fashion line, alongside Kim Jongin.

 

And Kyungsoo, suddenly transforming into this ambiguous manager/agent of sorts, wanting to protect him and would only present these opportunities to Chanyeol if he agreed and if it would be for his best interest.

 

But what if Chanyeol didn’t talk to him ever again?

 

What if Chanyeol decided he didn’t want to continue as his tutor anymore?

 

He hadn’t received any call from his father yet, because something like this would definitely warrant Kyungsoo another scolding.

 

So maybe... maybe...

 

Kyungsoo suddenly realized that he had been fidgeting with his fingers, much like Chanyeol did whenever he was nervous. Had he picked this mannerism up, since he had been thinking about his tutor all the time?

 

1:55 p.m.

 

Was Chanyeol going to come today?

 

Kyungsoo heaved a deep sigh, pillowing his cheek into his palm and decided to start reading the required text on his History book.

 

Just as he was starting to feel immersed in the Korean War in 1951, especially about the life of prisoners of war from North Korea under the U.S. military governance when there was a knock on his door.

 

Kyungsoo quickly glanced at the clock: 1:59 p.m. He cleared his throat, instructing himself to calm down as he croacked, “Come in.”

 

Heechul’s head popped in as the door opened.

 

 

The sheer disappointment on Kyungsoo’s face was so priceless that Heechul had to fight the compulsion to laugh out loud, lest he wanted to get fired right then and there. “Um, Kyungsoo-ssi,” Heechul sniggered, biting the corner of his lips so a full smile wouldn’t unfold.

 

Kyungsoo was already giving him the death glare.

 

“Here is the following contract for the Seoul Winter fashion runway to be held at the end of this year,” Heechul continued, switching to serious mode. Usually, Kyungsoo would ask him to recap the highlights of the contract, even as it had been discussed in the latest board meeting. But then Kyungsoo usually was on top of things so he was aware of what he was signing.

 

This time, however, Kyungsoo simply went to get his pen and placed his signature on the every page where it was required and continued to sigh as he did so.

 

Once he was done, Heechul had to take pity on his young boss, who had looked extremely miserable for the entirety of the weekend. Even he wanted to cheer Kyungsoo up. “Also, Park Chanyeol-ssi is outside. Are you ready for your study session?”

 

Kyungsoo blinked up at him, his eyes instantly lighting up. “He is?”

 

“De.” Heechul smiled happily, tucking the contract into the folder. “I’ll call him.”

 

“Uh, Heechul-ssi?”

 

His personal assistant turned around. “De?”

 

“Have you followed up on...?”

 

Heechul’s smile grew even wider. “Of course. I think we’ll hear good news within the day.”

 

Kyungsoo breathed with a little more relief, as the pounding of his heart gradually grew quicker. “Um... kindly ask sunbae to come in. Kamsa-hamnida.”

 

And with that, Heechul nodded and went to fetch Chanyeol.

 

Kyungsoo transferred over to the study table on the corner of his office, bringing all 5 modules, pens and his phone with him. Should he tidy up a bit? He gasped as he rushed to check his reflection on his camera’s front view. Did he look okay?

 

He had some dark circles under his eyes, as a result of not having enough sleep over what Chanyeol might say or not say to him.

 

Kyungsoo just wished his tutor would speak, at least.

 

His breath hitched when the door finally opened and he heard Heechul asking Chanyeol if he wanted some refreshments.

 

As usual, Kyungsoo didn’t hear any response as he imagined his tall tutor most likely shaking his head.

 

“Araseo, have a good day,” Heechul bade and closed the door behind him.

 

Kyungsoo turned to face him then. Chanyeol, clad in an even more oversized hoodie over an extra large one that he was already wearing, was looking on the floor, and bowed to him in greeting.

 

 

Kyungsoo felt his heart sink to his stomach when Chanyeol didn’t say anything else, didn’t even meet his eye, as the taller one took his seat silently and Kyungsoo could do nothing but to sit next to him.

 

Chanyeol then opened Kyungsoo’s chemistry module, and opened the marked pages, even if Kyungsoo had not answered them yet. Was Chanyeol going to answer the module for him again, just for something to do?

 

Kyungsoo wordlessly resumed reading his History text, observing Chanyeol from the corner of his eye as the taller one began to write something with a pencil.

 

His tutor seemed to be concentrating, and was not giving him any attention.

 

Which kind of hurt Kyungsoo’s feelings, rather than irritate him.

 

Which in turn made Kyungsoo lose track of what he was reading, as the words about a North Korean POW Roh Kisoo’s antics didn’t register in his brain...

 

He tried snapping out of it, because Chanyeol didn’t seem as affected as he was by this uncomfortable silence between them. Why was this bothering him so much? Chanyeol was only his tutor! Kyungsoo’s father hired him to make sure that he would pass his last semester in high school so he would be able to graduate. That was it, nothing more.

 

 

Chanyeol was an intern, someone in his father’s payroll.

 

Chanyeol could easily be replaced.

 

Chanyeol... didn’t have to tutor him. He was a qualified and exceptional candidate for Do Laboratories ‘ internship program who deserved to learn the ropes of the industry that would be blessed to unearth his incredible potential and genius.

 

Chanyeol could do something much more worthwhile with his time—something that could contribute to his own future success and do a world of good—than being stuck here with him, just because he was too lazy, rebellious and stubborn to study on his own.

 

Kyungsoo didn’t know when he got to the part of the text where the POW North Korean Roh Kisoo got into tap dancing and what happened in between.

 

Chanyeol quietly slid the Chemistry module over to Kyungsoo. While acknowledging his presence, his tutor didn’t seem to have any plans of opening up what happened last weekend or initiating any sort of conversation that didn’t involve his study modules for the week.

 

Kyungsoo warily looked over what Chanyeol had written on the module. It turned out to be some notes, clarifying what the intricate instructions mean, indeed making it easier for Kyungsoo to digest the lesson.

 

Chanyeol only opened the Psychology module next, turning to the first page, his mouth still sealed shut.

 

Kyungsoo looked over at the clock. It was only turning 3 p.m. How long could he stand this cold treatment from him? It was so excruciating.

 

By 4:15 p.m., Kyungsoo managed to finish the essay part of the History module at least. He didn’t know if he did a good job on it, because it certainly wasn’t his best work, but he thought Roh Kisoo was such an interesting character. He could still edit it later, since it was only Monday. And maybe Chanyeol would have insights as to how the essay could still be polished.

 

Just then, Kyungsoo’s cellphone rang. It was Heechul calling him.

 

He looked at Chanyeol, who didn’t even blink from what he was reading, so Kyungsoo only murmured a soft “Excuse me,” and got up from his chair to answer the call. “De, Heechul-ssi?”

 

“It has arrived, Kyungsoo-ssi. It’s earlier than we expected. I just thought you’d want to know.”

 

Kyungsoo’s grin spontaneously spread wide that he thought his face would literally split open. “Omo, omo!” He whispered, suddenly mindful that Chanyeol was in the room with him. “Where is it?”

 

“It’s with Yeri-ssi right now.”

 

Kyungsoo nearly jumped at the good news. The package was literally a few feet away! He couldn’t remember being so happy in his life, apart from establishing Gravity from the ground up and it made its first million in sales in just 6 months from launching.

 

Kyungsoo coughed, which caused Chanyeol to turn his head slightly in his direction. “S-Sunbae? I just need to step out for a few minutes. You’ll be fine here?”

 

Chanyeol only nodded his head and then returned to the Psychology module, as if nothing happened.

 

 

“Uh... I just wrote the first essay in the History module. C-Could you tell me how I should continue?”

 

Again, his tutor only gave him a nod. And then, Chanyeol set aside the Psychology module to check what Kyungsoo had been working on.

 

“Um, kamsa-hamnida,” Kyungsoo told him softly, before exiting the room.

 

That was progress, at least.

 

Meanwhile, Chanyeol sighed as the door closed behind Kyungsoo and he was left alone. This was difficult. He was feeling extremely guilty for three whole days, wondering how he should make it up to Kyungsoo for being so angry at him over a coat.

 

Yes, it was his grandfather’s coat.

 

But it was still only a material thing. People should be valued more than clothes, and he was certain his grandfather would be disappointed by the way he acted, and with what he said to Kyungsoo-ssi, and in public too, because he hadn’t been able to control his emotions.

 

His parents and his grandfather raised him right, and he never wanted any misstep in his behavior to reflect upon them.

 

He should finish their study session first and proceed to apologize to Kyungsoo-ssi, and hope they would be able to conduct themselves with each other civilly so that they could get through the next five weeks without any more misunderstanding.

 

He was here to tutor Kyungsoo-ssi, in conjunction with his internship at Do Laboratories. He had made a promise to Dr. Do to help his son.

 

It wasn’t that difficult. The agreement had been crystal clear.

 

Kyungsoo just had to finish high school, submit all of his requirements and graduate. 

 

Kyungsoo was under no obligation to make him his friend.

 

Chanyeol... had better remember that.

 

He should probably delete his Instagram later, which he only remembered now after not using his phone for three days. His weekend had been spent checking inventory at the grocery store, formally making the visit over at Sun Hee eomonie’s home and meeting with Sun Hee eomonie’s parents, who treated him and Mr. Park as if they were already family.

 

It seemed as if a wedding in the future was already inevitable.

 

While Mr. Park assured him that he was already happy and content, Chanyeol knew that his father could be happier and there was nothing wrong with that.

 

Sun Hee eomonie had thanked Chanyeol as well, for being so understanding and for being loving towards her over the years. Chanyeol, in turn, gave her a big hug and thanked her for caring for him as if he were her own son.

 

While these thoughts were running at the back of Chanyeol’s mind, the more active part of his brain was reading Kyungsoo’s essay and found himself grinning a little.

 

Unfortunately, the essay his student wrote didn’t make any sense. Something about POW Roh Kisoo tap dancing his way to freedom to a disconnected paragraph about apologizing to sunbae for being such an inconsiderate jerk.

 

Had Kyungsoo been thinking about him, too?

 

Chanyeol turned to the door, indecisive if he should go find Kyungsoo himself and initiate apologizing so they could put all of this behind them.

 

While it was heartbreaking to have lost what he considered to be a precious—albeit unusual—family heirloom, Kyungsoo had been right when he pointed out that it was Chanyeol’s fault that it had gone missing.

 

It was indeed his own fault. He should have been more careful about not leaving any of his belongings behind.

 

He had apologized in his prayers to his grandfather and mother over and over again the entire weekend, and asked for their help in finding the trench coat one day, even if it was already next to impossible.

 

Just then, Chanyeol saw the door knob turning. He hurriedly pretended to be resume his reading when he felt Kyungsoo standing next to him moments later.

 

“Sunbae?”

 

Chanyeol tentatively looked up and blinked at him rapidly.

 

A long, black and white plaid trench coat was hanging on Kyungsoo’s outstretched arms.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter