chapter 2

summer's in the air and baby, heaven's in your eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Short chapter because I unfortunately am not a superstar footballer like Donghae is and don't have an entire summer break to work on assignments. Also because I have exams in a week. [nervously chuckles]

Anyway, here's chapter 2, or, Donghae freaks out over texting his crush.  

He goes back to his hostel, sets the drink on his table and sits on the floor. (He wanted to lie in his bed, but is adamantly against changing sheets unnecessarily and doesn’t want to risk dirtying the bed with his stinky self, which explains the decision.)

What does he say to Hyukjae? What’s something that’s charming and flirty enough — so Hyukjae knows how he feels and will hopefully reciprocate the sentiment — but also sensitive and thoughtful — so Hyukjae doesn’t see him as some sort of lothario hitting on people after their first encounter? 

Despite his good looks and reputation, it’s not like Donghae’s had that exciting of a love life. Being the football superstar takes a lot of dedication and hard work, which means he doesn’t have time to  go on many dates. Sure, he has an endless list of (mostly female) secret admirers always stuffing his locker with sweet goods, but it’s not like Donghae’s even into girls or sweet goods, making it a redundant point. The one time he went out with a guy who left him a love letter, he ended up rambling about the games he’d seen Donghae play and begging Donghae to teach him football, which isn’t exactly the kind of date Donghae had in mind. Donghae never went out with anyone who appeared to be a fan, then. The moral of the story is: though he has a long list of admirers, it’s as good as not having any.

Which explains his helplessness, okay? Hyukjae definitely didn’t recognise Donghae, seeing as he asked for his name. Of course that could be because Hyukjae maybe doesn’t go to the same university, but the point here is that if he does end up going on a date with Hyukjae (which he wants to, badly), they most likely won’t be talking about Donghae’s football games. And so the date most likely won’t end up a disaster. And they most likely will go on more dates (if their schedules permit). And most likely fall in love or something — if that’s how it works, because Donghae doesn’t have enough experience to be able to tell for sure.

Donghae doesn’t really have anyone he can consult. Not that he doesn’t have friends — he has many. It’s just embarrassing having to admit not knowing how to start a conversation with someone you’re interested in. 

Hi, he types. This is Donghae. 

Does it seem like he’s writing an email instead? God, since when was texting so difficult? He clenches his jaw and continues.

You were right, the smoothie was great, he types, even though he didn’t even take a single sip. 

Is this where he’s supposed to add something like ‘wanna go out on a date sometime?’? Isn’t that too abrupt and… creepy? Donghae doesn’t KNOW, okay. 

He settles on Can I pay you back the next time I see you?. 

He thinks it’s a not-bad message. First, he introduced himself, so now Hyukjae will have his number too. Second, he affirmed Hyukjae’s choice of drinks (though it was a lie, but it’s for the betterment of both parties). Third, he implied that he’ll see Hyukjae again, though under the disguise of paying for the drink. That’s killing three birds with one stone. Though it’s cruel and inhumane and unnecessary to kill birds, his point still stands.

He adds a ^^ emoticon after his line about the smoothie, just in case Hyukjae is an emoticon guy.

Then he hits send, and locks his phone immediately. 

He sits in silence for a while before reaching for the smoothie.

He takes a tentative sip, and it’s just as he expected: too ing sweet. But he forces himself to gulp down the entire cup anyway, because Hyukjae paid for this, Hyukjae treated him to this drink, and at least now when (if) Hyukjae asks whether he’d finished the whole thing he can say so with utmost conviction. Though his confidence might waver a little if Hyukjae asks whether he’d liked it, because, you know, he didn’t. 

He dumps the cup into the bin, picking up his phone again. 

No notifications. Maybe Hyukjae isn’t interested. Maybe Hyukjae just gives out his number to everyone. Maybe that wasn’t even Hyukjae’s number. 

Donghae stops himself from overthinking by turning off his phone and putting it under his pillow. This way he won’t keep staring at it every five minutes and won’t feel his heartbeat escalate when he hears a potential ping. Though he most likely will hear pings here and there, because he has notifications for news outlets like a responsible and educated citizen — but it doesn’t matter unless it’s from Hyukjae. It’s the only wise decision: to switch off his phone and close himself off from the rest of the world.

Desperate times call for desp

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter