His Hope

Falling You

After giving out the presents to all his family members, his new brother-in-law entreated his father in the living room with a drink and cigar while his mom and sister were busy washing dishes in the kitchen. He had been restless during the dinner and his mom wondered what could have distressed him so. His sister though must have seen the news and understood the source of his distress. She shared a look with her mother to beg her not to ask.

When he finally received a text from Irene to inform the red velvet members were on the way to visit Seungwan in the hospital, he quickly sneaked out from home heading to the address Irene sent him.

Her family were with the doctor when Irene secretly sneaked him into her private room for a quick visit. He thought he was mentally prepared for the scene but he almost burst out in tears again. The last time they met in person, she was still with black short hair. Maybe her blonde hair made her face paler, he was still heartbroken when he saw her lying in the hospital bed paled like death and with IV injected to her veins.

“She could have died” was all that he could think of.

What would the temporary break from them have caused him forever regret if he lost her in this way. All their stolen moments during their years of stage collaborations would become only a memory waiting to be faded, but not a hope of reunion that would keep him going forward. The night that he made the decision and convinced both of them to breakup would have forever haunted him.

Irene, being finally restored to her usual calm self, consoled him by repeating the preliminary diagnosis of the doctor. Her right side got multiple bone fractures amongst which the most critical injury would be the hip bone. More examinations will be done to determine what kind of operations or treatment she need.

He thought about what would happen to her in the future. Would she be dropped out from the group if she couldn’t dance anymore? Or would she even quit as an idol if this incident left a permanent scar in her mind and keep her from going onto the stage again? No, the Son Seungwan he knew would never let this stop her. She was strong and reliable. She would never quit because of her commitment to her members. She would never allow obstacles to stop her from shining on the stage. She had chosen her every options for her fans, her members and her career in the past. She will only choose to overcome this.

“She will recover,” he gently touch her left wrist and declared as if he was saying a prayer, “she will suffer but she is strong enough to overcome.” Irene nodded while wiping out a tear, though they both know there was no certainty on whether she could continue to be on stage. It was her dream and this horrible accident might derive her from this dream.



He and Irene jumped when the ward door opened unexpectedly. A young woman with resemblance to Seungwan but only much taller was also startled to see a stranger dressing in dark from head to toe by the patient’s bed. Though he was wearing a mask, the woman seemed to be able to guess his identify from his height as he stood and jumped a few feet from the bed.

“Chanyeol Xi?” the woman who could only be Seungwan’s sister said. He blamed his poor memory and inconsideration not to remember her name in that moment. “My name is Seunghee,” she smiled, “I am seungwan’s elder sister.”

“Nice to meet you Son Seunghee Xi,” he greeted formally and apologetically, “I am sorry for not introducing myself first before I came here.”

“It’s my fault, Seunghee unnie,” Irene said.

“I think Seungwan wouldn’t mind,” Seunghee said, “though you must leave before my parents see you. I am afraid they are not in the mood and would not be beneficial for you to leave a bad first impression.”
“Of course,” he quickly picked up his jacket and made his leave.

Seunghee saw in his eyes the reluctance to leave her sister behind. “I am going back to Canada in few days,” she said, “my parents will here for sometime though. We don’t have many closed relatives and it would be great to have someone other than seungwan’s managers to help them while they are in Korea. If there is anything they may need for themselves or Seungwan in the hospital, can I trouble you to see it to their needs?”

He knew she didn’t really need an extra hand, but only said it to make him feel useful. “Thank you Son Seunghee Xi,” he said gratefully, “Please let me know if there is anything I can help with. I will do my best to see it to their needs.”

They exchanged their contacts. Seunghee promised to introduce him to her parents after Seungwan woke up and before she left Korea. He was so anxious and knew seungwan would not be so happy with her sister and him because of this.