Late confession

Shuffled hearts

 

Taemin is never really the straightforward person. He is not the interrogator type. He can’t, and he knows he will never be. But this time, at this point in his life, he need to be strong and fight for his right to know the truth.
 

That was really what he wants him to be, the strong one. But seeing this guy’s back sitting on the chair looking outside the glass window, he started to question his strength and confidence to remain calm and directly ask him the questions he have on his mind.
 

He can tell by the way Key flips his phone, by the way he looks uneasy and by the way he tosses his fingers on the table that the older is nervous, worrying about something. As if guilty of a crime who does not want to be interrogated. But he have no choice but to face the him.

 

Taemin already thought of how will he react if he admitted having an affair with his husband. He was prepared, not until he saw the reality ahead that is about to happen right now in that table face to face with the person once he called a friend. Taemin sighed as he went near the table where Key is sitting.

 

“I’m sorry I’m late.” He said. Key jerked up a bit upon hearing the younger’s voice from his back. He sat on the chair that’s on the glass window side so that he is face to face with Key.

 

“No, it’s okay.” The older said. “I just arrived minutes ago.” He smiled fakely.
 

Key is always the full of confidence type. You would never see him unprepared. He’s honest to the point that he would criticize you straight to your face. He was never uneasy, not like today. He doesn’t know how to talk to Taemin. He don’t know will he answer his questions without getting nervous.
 

“Did you order something?” Taemin asked.
 

“No, not yet.” Key answered.
 

“Let’s order first.” The younger said. He called the waitress, he ordered coffee while Key chose tea. The younger was surprised that he didn’t order coffee when they both know he loves such drink, but he didn’t asked. There are other things he is more interested than that simple question.

 

They stayed silent until their order arrived. Nobody wants to start the conversation, yet. When the waitress returned to give their drinks, that’s the time they started to look at each other. Taemin stared at the older while he puts some lemon on his drink. Key was a little busy with his drink he didn’t recognized the younger’s stare.

 

“So Key, it’s been awhile.” Taemin started, still looking at him.

 

“Yeah.” The latter stared. “I’ve been busy with work, I didn’t have time to see you.”

 

“But you can always visit me at the café.” He blurted. “ It’s just blocks away from your boutique, remember.”

 

“I’m not in the boutique most of the times.” He lied.

 

There’s nothing they can talk about anymore. Both know what each other are thinking.

 

“Tell me straight, Taemin.” Key uttered. “What do you really want to know?”

 

“You know what I want from you.”

 

“You said it’s about Onew. What do you want to know about him from me?”

 

“I want you to tell the me truth.” Key sighed.

 

“Let’s stop this kind of game. Just ask me straight.” Taemin remained silent for a while still not leaving his sight from Key.

 

“Now, tell me what’s your relationship with my husband?” He was able to ask. Key is not surprise at his question, but still he don’t know how to answer it in better way possible.

 

“We’re friends, schoolmates. He’s my husband’s best friend.” Key answered sarcastically.

 

“I am giving you a chance to tell me the truth, Key. Maybe then I can think of forgiving you.” Key didn’t answer.

 

“You know what I’m talking about. I want to know the real story between you and Onew. I’ve read the mails, I’ve seen the calls.” The younger kept his calm.

 

Busted. Key thought. “So why ask me if you already knew?”

 

“Don’t act cool in front of me right now, Key. At least give me respect and don’t crash my pride that easily if you still have respect for me as an old friend.” For the first time in Taemin’s life he felt that he rules.

 

That’s it. Key gave up. Tears fell from his eyes. Not looking at the younger in front of him, he kept his head down. “Whatever you think it was, you’re right.”

 

“Was?” Taemin asked.

 

“Yes.” Key answered. “Didn’t he told you about that?”

 

“He doesn’t know I knew.” Taemin confessed.

 

“I thought he told you.”

 

“How could he tell me?!” Taemin snapped. “You’re both good… in hiding this… uh!” He said angrily, heart racing fast.

 

“Taemin…” Key uttered. “…I’m sorry.”

 

The younger didn’t say a word. He knows he will burst out if he do. He doesn’t want to do something he will regret in a public place. He tried his best to keep his calm then he stand up.

 

“I think I need more time to think about this. Pay the bill.” Then he left the café.

 

That night, Onew is so excited to go home. He have a good news for Taemin. On his way, he stopped by a flower shop and bought a bouquet for his wife. Onew closed a deal and he wants to celebrate his success with the younger.

 

Neither did he know about the surprise that will greet him when he gets home. When he opened the door, Taemin was not in the living room. He knows that the younger is already in the house, maybe in the toilet or bedroom. He was correct when he found him on their bedroom busy with packing his things.

 

“Taemin what are you doing?” He asked the younger confused.

 

“Packing my things.” Taemin answered.

 

“But why?”

 

“Why don’t you ask yourself.” He continued packing not looking at the older. Onew hold his arms that made him stop putting his clothes on his bag.

 

“Taemin, why?”

 

“I need space, I need time to think.”

 

“Think about what?” Taemin didn’t answer soon. He paused.

 

“Think if I can forgive you on cheating on me.” He blurted looking straight to the older’s eyes to see his reaction. Onew was shocked about what Taeimin said. He paused for a while he didn’t know what to do.

 

“I’ve seen it, the phone calls the mails, and I’ve even talked to Key. You can’t hide that on me forever, Onew.” He was shaking so much. All the time he is keeping his emotions even after he talked to Key, all the emotions started to burst, he felt his heart starting to explode. He’s trembling so hard and tears are falling faster on his face.

 

“I can’t believe you could do that to me, to Jonghyun. You both, how did that happen? I don’t know why did you do this. Am I not good for you? Is he better?” He shouted angrily. Onew didn’t say a thing. He let the younger speak. He knows it’s his fault that he is hurting right now.

 

“Talk to me! Don’t just stand there and say nothing like what you always do. I can’t read your mind. How would I know what’s going on when you’re not even sharing your thoughts to me. I was supposed to be your partner, you should confide with me not with other person.”

 

Taemin stopped talking. Silence covered the room. Still Onew is holding Taemin’s arms but he is not looking at the younger’s eyes. A few seconds after Taemin removed his hands and took his bag.

 

“Taemin…” Onew started after realizing that the younger is leaving soon. He kneeled in front of the younger. “…I’m sorry. Please… don’t go.” He started to cry.

 

“I need some air to breathe. I think it’s better if we give each other some space for now.” Then Taemin left.

 

******

 

Yes I updated. I'm really sorry my updates are slow lately, I have a lot of things needed to be done I'll be a bit busy until end of May. But I'll try to update this faster. Really sorry the story is angsty. 

 

I really appreciate your comments and subscriptions. Thank you so much :D