Three

Challenge Accepted

After school, Kibum sat on the practice room floor, lost in thought as he repeatedly read Minjung’s letter. Taemin approached Kibum from behind and repeatedly called out to him, “Hyung? Kibum Hyung?” Kibum was too distracted by the letter to notice him, so Taemin crouched behind Kibum and started reading the letter as well. “I would like to take you to our school’s upcoming Sadie Hawkins dance,” Taemin read aloud, causing Kibum to let out a yelp and instinctively clutch the letter to his chest. “Didn’t I tell you not to sneak up on people like that?!” Kibum demanded. Taemin held up his hands in defensive denial. “Hyung, I called out to you several times. You were too distracted by Minjung Noona’s letter to notice,” Taemin said, winking at him.

Kibum quickly folded up the letter and placed it back in its envelope. His face flushed with embarrassment. “How much did you read?” he asked. Taemin smirked, “Everything.” Kibum sighed and said, “Of course you did,” as he placed the envelope into his bag. “So? Did you agree to go with her?” Taemin asked as he sat down beside Kibum. “No, I didn’t. I gave her an ultimatum and she failed.” Taemin cocked his head slightly, confused, “Ultimatum?”

Kibum nodded. “I thought Junghee somehow got her to ask me to this dance. I gave Minjung 30 seconds to explain why she suddenly asked me out like this.” Kibum frowned sullenly, “Do you know what she did in those 30 seconds? She didn’t say anything to defend herself against my accusation. She just silently hung her head.”

Taemin smiled at Kibum. “I think I understand now, Hyung. You were happy when you first saw the letter, weren’t you?” Kibum nodded slightly. “And got hurt because you suspected her motives for asking?” Kibum looked down and nodded again. “You like her, Hyung,” Taemin teased, nudging him. He stopped and cleared his throat once Kibum glared at him. “Sorry, I just never thought that Kim “Down-With-Love” Kibum would actually be like this,” Taemin said, barely holding in a giggle. “This conversation does not leave this room!” Kibum hissed at him. “Sure, Hyung, because you have your reputation as a shrew to uphold!” This time, Taemin burst into infectious laughter that ended when Kibum pinched his cheeks. “Ow! Sorry!”

“What should I do?” Kibum asked softly after letting go of Taemin’s cheeks. Taemin rubbed his cheeks softly and asked disbelievingly, “Why are you asking me? You’re the one with an advice vlog!” “I know. It’s easier to advise other people rather than myself. Besides,” he added reluctantly in a near whisper, “You’re my Sunbae in this department.” Taemin nodded happily and said, “In that case, your benevolent Sunbae gladly provides the following romance advice to his beloved Hoobaenim. First off, no more 30-second ultimatums! Take your time in deciding whether to go to the dance with Minjung Noona or not. Hang out with her more and give her a chance to show you her true motives over time.”

Kibum sighed, biting his lip. “And if I’m correct about this being Junghee’s scheme?” “I doubt Minjung Noona would do all of this if she doesn’t at least like you,” Taemin said thoughtfully. “But if you’re right about the Noonas scheming, you can cross that bridge once you get to it. Otherwise, you’d be denying both yourself and Minjung Noona a chance at happiness, all because you stubbornly don’t want Junghee Noona to date. That wouldn’t be fair to anyone, Hyung.”

Kibum nodded slightly. “I’ll think about it.” “Yes,” Taemin said, “at least keep an open mind, Hyung.” Kibum glanced down at his watch and gasped. “We’re so late!” he exclaimed, jumping up. “We only have 50 minutes left of practice time!” Taemin stood as well. “Let’s make the most of these last 3 weeks of practice, Hyung!” Kibum nodded and high-fived Taemin. “Yes, win or lose, let’s give it our all!”

***

On Friday, two days after receiving Minjung’s letter, Kibum used his free period to track Jinki down in the school library. He was nervous about approaching Jinki first but hated that they’d barely spoken recently. Kibum spotted Jinki seated in a corner by the window. He was intently reading a philosophy book and didn’t notice Kibum approaching him. “Yah, Old Man!” Kibum called out, smiling nervously. Jinki dropped his book on the table and glanced up surprised, and the other students in the area shushed the sheepish Kibum. “Bummie, what are you doing here?” Jinki asked in a hushed voice as Kibum sat in the empty chair across from him.

“I, I wanted to thank you in person for agreeing to help Junghee with math,” Kibum said quickly with a flushed face. “And also apologize for signing you up to do a duet with Junghee without asking first.” Kibum swallowed nervously, “I was starting to think you never wanted to speak to me again, but when Taemin said you agreed to be Junghee’s mentor, I became hopeful that you weren’t angry with me anymore.” He gave Jinki a questioning glance. “You aren’t, are you?”

Jinki took a deep breath. “About what Taeminnie said, I…” Jinki sighed. “Of course, I can never stay angry with you. I know you meant well with the talent show and everything. Sorry for avoiding you. It’s just that I’ve been trying to figure something out and wanted to be alone to clear my thoughts for a little while.” Kibum gave Jinki a worried glance and asked, “Have you figured it out now?” Jinki reached over and gave Kibum’s hand a reassuring pat. He smiled and said, “I think so.” Kibum noticed a hint of sadness in Jinki’s eyes but didn’t want to upset him by pressing the issue.

“You’ll never guess what happened to me on Wednesday!” Kibum exclaimed to change the subject. “You received Minjung’s letter asking you to the dance,” Jinki said in a lightly teasing voice. “How did you know? I wanted to tell you first,” Kibum said with a slight pout. “Taeminnie told me. He was extremely excited about it,” Jinki said, as he struggled not to laugh. “Lee Taemin, that brat couldn’t even hold water,” Kibum fumed. Jinki smiled fondly, “When Taeminnie does things like this, he means well, usually.” Kibum let out a soft sigh, knowing that Taemin could do no wrong in Jinki’s eyes.

“So, Jinki, any advice on what I should do about Choi? Taemin suggested that I give her a chance, but I can’t let go of a nagging suspicion that Junghee put her up to this,” Kibum said before biting his lip. “Bummie, I really don’t think I’m the best person to give you advice on this,” Jinki finally said after a thoughtful pause. Kibum frowned, “My only other option is Taemin. Besides, you’re the best person because you’re my best friend!” “I know,” Jinki said softly, his eyes cloudy with a hint of guilt. “Okay, so, I know you like Minjung. Otherwise, you would flatly reject her without caring about her motives. My advice to you is that you should go out with her. It doesn’t have to be something as formal as the dance. Minjung is a good kid. It doesn’t matter what Junghee may have hypothetically said or done. I doubt Minjung would have written you that letter unless she liked you, too.”

Kibum sighed, “So, basically you agree with Taemin?” Jinki nodded, “Yeah, pretty much.” Kibum frowned, “I’d almost forgotten that you were one of her 99 Hyungs…” “Of course, I am,” Jinki said proudly. “I think she’s called me Hyung ever since she moved next door. She comes over sometimes to play video games with Taeminnie.” “Choi sure was busy since then. She moved into town 8 years ago and has since collected a whopping total of 99 Hyungs,” Kibum said sullenly. Jinki giggled softly, “Is Bummie jealous of the Hyungs?” Kibum scoffed, “What? Me? Jealous?! Never!” Jinki nodded and smiled teasingly, “Of course, Bummie never gets jealous.” Kibum glanced at his watch and jumped up suddenly. “Oh my, look at the time. I should be heading to class soon… We’ll talk more later, okay?” Jinki smiled and started gathering his things, “Of course we will.”

***

After school, Kibum stood next to his car impatiently tapping his foot and glancing at his wristwatch. “Where is that Kim Junghee?” Kibum muttered to himself. He glanced up to see Junghee approaching the car with a mischievous smile, with a reluctant Minjung in tow. “You’re late!” he told her. “And why is Choi with you?” Kibum asked. “Choi, do you need a ride home or something?” “No, I, I,” Minjung stuttered awkwardly. Kibum sighed and glanced at Junghee expectantly. “Minjung is staying over for the weekend,” Junghee said, sticking her tongue out at Kibum.

Kibum pulled Junghee aside and spoke in hushed whispers while glancing occasionally at Minjung. “What do you mean, Choi is staying over for the weekend? No one mentioned this to me!” “I called Mom and Dad during our lunch period. They said that Minjung could stay over this weekend since her parents are out of town.” “But Mom and Dad are also out of town!” Kibum frowned, “Plus you’ll be at Jinki’s for at least an hour tomorrow…” Junghee shrugged, “Either you’ll entertain Minjung during that hour, or I’ll take her with me.” Kibum sighed and said, “Fine,” through gritted teeth.

He walked back to the car, pausing when he noticed Minjung smiling at him nervously. “Sit in the back with Choi,” he told Junghee, who nodded and gestured for Minjung to get inside the car. Once they were all piled into the car, Kibum began the drive home. He sighed and the radio, attempting to ignore the giggling and the whispers of the two girls in the backseat.

***

“I’m not sure if spending the weekend here was a good idea,” Minjung said as she sat across from Junghee on her bed. “Kibum Sunbaenim was so awkward at dinner,” she added with a sigh. “I know! It’s so rare for Bummie to be speechless,” Junghee said, smirking. “He’s barely spoken to you since you gave him your letter, right?” Minjung nodded and added, “Even if we were about to cross paths in the hallway, Sunbaenim would turn abruptly and go in the opposite direction.” “I love this!” Junghee said, giggling.

Minjung sighed and Junghee glanced at her thoughtfully. “I think Bummie is being awkward because he wants to go to the dance with you but is also trying to save face. He thinks you only asked him because I told you to.” Junghee clapped her hands together dramatically, “Just tell him that isn’t true! Problem solved.” “But you did make me ask him!” Minjung huffed in frustration. “It was either ask Sunbaenim to the dance or confess in front of you, and I certainly wasn’t about to do that,” she said shaking her head. Junghee shrugged, “It’s not as if I forced you or anything. I gave you options and you made your choice.”

“I really hope I don’t regret all of this,” Minjung said softly. Junghee smiled wistfully at her and patted her hand, saying, “I try to live life without regrets. Also, you should never regret liking someone, whether that person is a cowardly Oppa who makes you want to compete with chicken for his affections or a spiteful shrew who rejects dates in an attempt to control his little sister’s life.” Minjung’s eyes widened and her jaw dropped. “But I, I mean, how did… I never…” she stuttered.

Junghee squeezed Minjung’s hand. “I realized that your crush was Bummie when you told me the person wasn’t one of your 99 Hyungs. I didn’t think you liked younger guys and Bummie is the only older guy around that you never address as Hyung.” Minjung nodded shyly, “That’s true.” Junghee smiled, “I’m sure you’ve deduced that my crush is Jinki Oppa.” Minjung nodded. “I guessed it a while back but was waiting for you to tell me.” Junghee nodded. “I like this much better. Now there isn’t an elephant in the room with us.” “I like that too,” Minjung said. “I was worried that liking your brother would make our friendship weird.” Junghee laughed and pulled Minjung into a hug, “Don’t worry about that. Our friendship will always have the perfect amount of weirdness.”

***

Later that night, while Minjung was in the shower, Junghee sighed from boredom and decided to send Jinki a few text messages before sleeping.

Junghee: Chicken Oppa, I think for the duet we could either do a dance routine or play instruments to make it more interesting. For the instruments, I could play bass and you could play the piano.

Jinki: I don’t know if we have enough time to create and learn a dance. The instruments could be practiced even when we’re apart, so we could try that.

Junghee: Okay, instruments it is. I’ll bring my bass guitar. Chicken Oppa, are you excited to see me tomorrow? 😊

Jinki: Is your main problem with math still word problems?

Junghee: Yes, math should be numbers only. Words complicate things. 😐

Jinki: I’ll prepare some word problems for you to practice on.

Junghee: I can’t wait… How should I pay you? Is there an hourly rate or something?

Jinki: Just buy me a chicken.

Junghee: Really? As expected from my Chicken Oppa~ Is that one chicken per session or one chicken total?

Jinki: Whichever you wish.

Junghee: Every session then~ 😊 Is this the rate for all students? Or a special rate for me?

Jinki: No, it’s a special rate just for you.

Junghee: I’m special~ 😊 How touching~

Jinki: Of course. You’re my best friend’s sister…

Junghee: Why did you have to add that part, Chicken Oppa?! 😐

Jinki: See you tomorrow. Don’t forget to bring the chicken!

Junghee: Yeah, yeah. You’ll have your chicken tomorrow.

***

The next morning, Minjung woke up in an otherwise empty room. She felt dazed waking up in Junghee’s room, especially when Junghee wasn’t in it. Minjung stretched and got out of bed. While still in her pajamas, she ventured down the hallway looking for any sign of Junghee. As she approached the bathroom, she could faintly hear water running and slightly muffled singing. Minjung knocked lightly on the door, “Junghee, are you in there?”

To her surprise, the door opened wide as it was unlocked and slightly cracked. Minjung stood as frozen and wide-eyed as a deer in headlights when the singing suddenly stopped. Kibum dropped his vocal dampener to the shower floor and turned in the direction of the doorway. “Yah, Choi?! What are you doing in here?” he screeched. He held his hands to his chest to cover himself. “Ki-Kibum Sunbaenim,” Minjung stuttered in shock. “Don’t just stand there staring like some ert!” Kibum called out to her. Minjung’s face flushed red and she covered her eyes with her hands. “Don’t worry. I didn’t see anything!” She turned and scurried out of the bathroom, closing the door securely behind her. Minjung paused for a moment, holding her hands to her still flushed cheeks, before running down the hallway to Junghee’s room and slamming the door behind her.

“Where is that Kim Junghee? Did she really leave us here alone? How could I ever face Sunbaenim now?” Minjung said softly. She heard a buzz from her phone and checked to see a new message from Junghee. “Well, speak of the devil.”

Junghee: I left to buy Jinki Oppa chicken before meeting him. I thought about waking you, but we both know how impossible that is. XD

Minjung: Because of you, I royally embarrassed myself. Sunbaenim thinks that I’m some ert!

Junghee: What happened? Also, how could it be my fault? I’m not even there! 😐

Minjung: I was looking for you and accidentally saw him in the shower…

Junghee: You what? Why were you looking in the bathroom anyway?

Minjung: I don’t know. I heard the singing and just knocked…

Junghee: Maybe Bummie was right. You are a ert.

Minjung: Am not! 😐 I don’t know how I’ll ever face him again.

Junghee: Don’t think that way. Instead think that you’ve seen a new side of him…

Minjung: 😐 Not funny!

Junghee: Okay, then think of it as just another challenge to overcome to reach your goal. Chois never back down from challenges, right? 😉

Minjung: Right. This may be a setback, but I can’t quit now.