One

Challenge Accepted

“Come on, Bummie… Just once, please” Junghee Kim pleaded with her older brother, Kibum. Junghee held up one finger and widened her eyes. Kibum’s feline eyes narrowed as he glanced down at her. “Firstly, call me Oppa. I’ve told you repeatedly not to use that nickname while we’re at school,” he hissed at her after quickly glancing around the now empty hallway to ensure no one was in earshot. “Secondly, those sad puppy eyes of yours may work for others, but not me. I am immune!” Junghee frowned, pouting her lower lip. “And finally,” Kibum continued resolutely, “I have no intention of dating anyone at this school.” He paused, cocking his head as a slight smirk crossed his face, “Especially if that means that you can’t date either!” Kibum turned away from her and smiled, admiring his own handsome features in the vanity mirror he’d installed in his locker.

“That stupid rule! It’s so unfair. Why am I stuck with a shrew of an older brother who has no interest in dating?!” Junghee ranted. She stopped when Kibum slammed his locker and glared at her. “I mean, Oppa, Kibum Oppa,” she flashed him her brightest smile, “if you agree to double date with me, I’ll pay you for it.” “With what funds? I know you spent a year’s allowance on that bass guitar last week.” “Oh, I have about $700 leftover from the kissing booth I ran last month. I could give you half of that,” Junghee beamed at him. “Kissing booth! So, the rumors were true?!” Kibum balled his fists in angry frustration. “Oops,” Junghee glanced down and took a step back nervously. “How about this? How about you give me $500 and I don’t tell Mom and Dad about this kissing booth of yours?” Kibum suggested through gritted teeth. Junghee sighed and groaned. “Fine. I’ll wire you the money when we get home.”

“Make sure you do that. Oh, and one more thing,” Kibum said, “about that math tutor you wanted, Mom and Dad left me in charge of choosing one for you.” Junghee pouted, “Why do they act as if you’re my warden or something?! They don’t even trust me to pick a tutor?” Kibum shrugged and said sarcastically, “Well, maybe if you weren’t so boy crazy, they wouldn’t be suspicious that your sudden drop in grades is a ruse to secretly date.” “Boy crazy?! I’m deeply offended,” Junghee spoke rapidly, “Just because I long to experience love for once?! Even if it’s a hurtful love, I’d like to try it!”

Kibum frowned, shaking his head slowly. “I believe you’ve experienced more than enough love from that kissing booth of yours.” He nodded thoughtfully, “Yes, more than enough to at least last you until your high school graduation.” Junghee glared at him. “Does this mean what I think it does?” “Yes, it does,” Kibum smirked at her. “I have zero intention of even attempting to date until after you graduate high school. Since you’re just starting grade 11 now, that means you have at least 2 more years to focus on your hobbies, foster your talents, and stop chasing after stupid boys.” His smirk softened into a small smile as he reached out and pet her head gently. “Got it?” “I’m not your puppy!” Junghee huffed, slapping his hand away.

Kibum cleared his throat and dropped his hand to his side. “Sure, you aren’t. Oh, right. I have practice with Taemin today, so meet me back here in exactly,” he glanced down at his watch, “1 hour and 25 minutes. That is, unless you want to walk home.” He smirked again. Junghee huffed, “Maybe I will walk home! Maybe, maybe I’ll even meet a boy and walk home with him!” she exclaimed defiantly. Kibum shook his head and slowly clapped his hands in a mocking manner. “Great. In that case, you’ll experience the joy of being grounded for the rest of the year.” “Fine! I’ll meet you here,” Junghee replied sullenly. “Ta-ta, little sister,” Kibum said as he walked away giving her the peace sign. “Kim Kibum Babo,” Junghee muttered under her breath as she stormed away in the opposite direction.

***

“Could we take 10?” Kibum asked, sinking to the floor before Taemin had a chance to respond. Taemin stopped dancing, panting slightly as he gathered his shoulder-length hair into a ponytail. He swiftly grabbed 2 towels, walked over, and sat down next to Kibum, handing him a towel while using the other to wipe his own sweat. “Are you all right, Hyung? For the last 30 minutes, you’ve seemed distracted.” Kibum glanced at Taemin apologetically. He sighed and gingerly wiped the sweat off his face. “It’s Junghee again.” Taemin giggled and asked, “What did my boy-crazy Noona do this time?” Kibum reached over and pinched Taemin’s cheeks. “Aww, Hyung,” Taemin whined. “Don’t call my little sister boy crazy,” Kibum nagged. “Okay, okay, I’ll never say it again,” Taemin pouted, and Kibum released Taemin’s cheeks.

“Remember when I told you about the fight that I had about 3 weeks ago when guys from across town claimed they kissed Junghee last month?” Taemin nodded. “You had a black eye for about a week.” “Hey, the other guys looked worst!” Kibum insisted, his face turning red. Taemin gave Kibum a once over, unconvinced. “Doesn’t Noona have more muscles than you do?” Kibum glared at him. “I have muscles! I work out all the time!” Taemin cleared his throat to keep from giggling again. “Sure, if you say so, Hyung.”

Kibum sighed. “Anyway, it turns out the rumored kissing booth was real.” Taemin gasped, placing his hand to his chest. “Noona told you?!” “Wait,” Kibum asked shocked, “you knew about this and didn’t tell me?!” Taemin smiled sheepishly. “Hyung, don’t be mad! Noona paid me $100 to host it in my backyard when my parents weren’t home.” Kibum frowned. “You were supposed to be on my side, not hers.” “Aww, Hyung,” Taemin pouted, “You really expected me to turn down $100?” Kibum glanced over at the pouting Taemin and was tempted to pinch his fluffy cheeks again. He decided against telling Taemin that he was about to be paid $500 to keep the same secret.

“Where was Jinki when this kissing booth was happening in your yard?” Kibum couldn’t believe that his best friend would keep the kissing booth a secret from him. Taemin shrugged. “Jinki Hyung wasn’t home. He must’ve been at the library or something.” Taemin frowned slightly and looked at Kibum with pleading eyes, bearing a striking resemblance to the Puss in Boots character. “Kibum Hyung, please don’t tell Jinki Hyung what Noona did in our yard,” he begged, pouting. “He would be very upset.” “Fine, I won’t tell Jinki about it,” Kibum decided. Taemin placed his right hand over his heart, “I’ll take this secret to my grave,” he swore. Kibum looked at the long-haired 10th-grader as if he were the most foolish person on earth. “Hyung, say it,” Taemin whined again. Kibum sighed and imitated Taemin. “I solemnly swear to take this secret to my grave.” Taemin beamed angelically up at him. “Thanks, Hyung. Oh, so, was the kissing booth the only thing bothering you?”

Kibum sighed. “Nope. She’s also insisting on setting me up with someone just so she can go on dates too. Me! As if I would want to date anyone at this school. The idea itself is laughable.” Kibum chuckled nervously. “Hyung,” Taemin asked carefully, “Can you honestly say that you don’t like anyone at our school?” “Well, I, I,” Kibum cleared his throat. “That’s beside the point. The problem is Junghee! She’s obsessed with the idea of love and said she longs to experience it even if it hurts. As her older brother, it’s my job to protect her from that!” Taemin giggled, and Kibum’s eyes narrowed. “What’s so funny?” “Nothing, Hyung,” Taemin said quickly, knowing that Kibum would pinch him again if he commented on how cute Kibum sounded just now. “Hyung,” Taemin said carefully, “you do realize that one day Noona will experience love, maybe even a hurtful one-sided love, whether she dates or not, don’t you?” Kibum glanced at Taemin sullenly. “When did you grow up?”

“Hey,” Taemin smirked, “I’m not a solo for life person like you and Jinki Hyung are. I’ve had crushes. I dated girls in middle school. I even had my first kiss last month.” Taemin’s cheeks turned bright red at this revelation. Kibum’s jaw dropped, “But, you’re just a baby! Wait, who kissed you?” Taemin nervously shook his head. “You don’t want to know.” “Lee Taemin! Don’t tell me, the kissing booth?!” Taemin nodded and hung his head. “Noona suggested that I practice with her before the kissing booth…” Kibum pinched Taemin’s cheeks once more. “That Kim Junghee!” Kibum’s eyes narrowed, “So this is the real reason you kept her secret! I have half the mind the tell Jinki right now!” “Aww, Hyung, you promised,” Taemin whined as Kibum released his cheeks for the second time that afternoon. Kibum studied Taemin, “I won’t tell Jinki if you promise to never even think about kissing Junghee again.” Taemin nodded quickly, “Oh, I wouldn’t even dream of doing so, Hyung, I swear it.” Kibum sighed. “All right, fine. We’ll forget all about that horrible kissing booth. Erase it from our minds as if it never happened.” “Right,” Taemin nodded carefully, “Sure, Hyung, whatever you say.”

Kibum bit his lip nervously. “Jinki’s still free on Saturdays, right? Do you think he would mind tutoring Junghee in math?” Taemin pondered thoughtfully before responding. “I’m certain Jinki Hyung wouldn’t mind. Is the great Kim Kibum afraid to ask himself?” Kibum frowned, “Not sure if you’ve noticed, but Jinki’s been avoiding me these days. I know I shouldn’t have signed Jinki and Junghee up to do a duet for the talent show without asking them first, but Jinki was being so timid about singing in front of others. And I hoped they’re both realize how talented they are. Beautiful voices like theirs should be showcased to the world.” Kibum sighed, “But now Junghee’s spent the last month rebelliously chasing boys, and Jinki’s barely spoken more than an occasional sentence to me.”

Taemin reached over and patted Kibum’s head consolingly, and Kibum glanced at his hand, slightly amused. “There, there, your friendship won’t end over this. Jinki Hyung is too nice for that.” Kibum nodded, smiling slightly, “Too nice for a friend like me.” “Aww, Hyung, don’t talk like that. You’re nice too! You just hide it very well,” Taemin said to comfort him. “Gee, thanks so much,” Kibum snorted. “Sure, any time,” Taemin smiled. He stood and grabbed his phone from his bag. “I’ll call Jinki Hyung right away and ask about the tutoring. Don’t worry, Hyung.” Kibum nodded gratefully.

“Hey, Hyung,” Taemin said sweetly when Jinki answered. “Taeminnie? It’s not time to pick you up yet, is it? I’m so sorry! I was in the library and completely lost track of time!” Taemin giggled, “Calm down, Hyung. I still have about 45 minutes left of dance practice time with Kibum Hyung. I wasn’t calling for a ride.” Jinki let out a relieved sigh. “Taeminnie, why are you calling instead of practicing with Bummie?” Taemin glanced over at Kibum, who looked down. “I’m actually calling on his behalf. Would you be interested in being Junghee Noona’s math tutor starting this Saturday? And after each tutoring session, you two could rehearse for your duet?” Taemin asked carefully. There was a long pause on the other end of the phone before Taemin heard Jinki’s barely audible, “No.” “What was that, Hyung? I think you’re breaking up,” Taemin said with a glint in his eye. “No,” Jinki said louder this time. “What? You’d love to do it? You can’t wait to start? I’ll let Kibum Hyung know,” Taemin smiled. “Lee Taemin! I said no! What are you—” Taemin pressed the end call button and smiled at the oblivious Kibum. “Jinki Hyung would love to tutor Noona and rehearse with her starting Saturday.” Kibum smiled back. “I know I don’t say this very often, but, thanks, Taemin.” “Yay, I received a thank you from Kibum Hyung,” Taemin giggled as he offered Kibum his hand to help him stand. Kibum accepted Taemin’s hand and stood quickly. “Yes, that was quite the achievement for you, Taemin. Now, let’s practice hard for the talent show,” Kibum added as he gave Taemin a high five.

***

“What’s up, shorty,” Minjung Choi said as she sat next to Junghee on the gym bleachers. Minjung draped her arm around Junghee’s shoulders, but Junghee pulled away scowling, “How would you like it if I called you names like tall girl or Miss Eiffel Tower?” “Okay, got it, no more teasing about our heights,” Minjung promised, since she could tell from Junghee’s face that she was in a bad mood. “You weren’t waiting too long, were you? Basketball practice with the Hyungs ran longer than expected today,” Minjung said apologetically. Minjung was the only girl on both the basketball and soccer teams, but she played just as hard and as well as any boy ever could.

“I didn’t mind waiting, Minjung.” Junghee sighed. “I’ve just been sitting here thinking about my idiot brother. He is such a control freak! First, he signs me up for that stupid talent show and now he’s picking my math tutor.” She grimaced, “Changing the subject. Just how many Hyungs have you collected so far?” Minjung mentally counted all her Hyungs. “99, including my real Hyung.” Junghee giggled and mocked Minjung, “Including your real Hyung, huh?” “Yeah,” Minjung said softly. “Oh, to be so popular with the boys! I’m so jealous, Minjung!” Junghee exclaimed. Minjung chuckled and shook her head, “Don’t be. Those Hyungs don’t even see me as a girl.” “Well, maybe if you used Oppa instead Hyung? Or dressed in something other than gym clothes?” Minjung shrugged. “I’m comfortable in gym clothes. And I prefer Hyung to Oppa! Why should I change for a guy, especially when I’m not interested in any of those Hyungs romantically?”

“Wait, you’ve been holding out on me, Minjung! So, you’ve gotten yourself 99 Hyungs, and your crush isn’t one of them?!” Junghee asked surprised. Minjung shook her head. “I doubt he’d want to be one of my Hyungs… As far as I know, my crush isn’t even interested in sports,” she added carefully.

“Minjung, you haven’t confessed to your crush yet, have you?” Junghee eyed Minjung suspiciously. Minjung glanced away, unable to meet Junghee’s accusatory gaze. “No, not yet…” “Minjung, how could you?! I confessed to my crush, only to be rejected by him. And now my idiot Oppa is treating me like I’m some boy-crazed lunatic who needs to be caged!” Junghee fumed. “How could you break our pact? We were both supposed to confess before today.” “I know. I know. I’m sorry!” Minjung frowned. “I didn’t want to admit it, but I was afraid of rejection, especially after you said that you were rejected. Also, um, you did act out a lot to make your crush jealous, especially with your infamous kissing booth… It’s not surprising that your family misunderstood. Maybe if you explained—”

“No, Minjung! Then I would have to tell them about the rejected confession, and I’d rather be grounded and misunderstood than suffer such humiliation,” Junghee proclaimed firmly. Minjung held Junghee’s hand to comfort her. “Do you ever regret it, liking him, I mean?” she asked. Junghee shook her head firmly, “I think it's a blessing to like someone else. Even if it's just a one-sided love. It's not easy to like someone else. I choose to see my one-sided love as a blessing, because a person who never loved is a person who didn’t live. A person who loved is the who got his heart broken. Love is complicated, but a beautiful thing, because in the end, it’s a passionate feeling between two.” Minjung studied Junghee for a moment. “Your brother was wrong to think you are boy crazy, but you may possibly be love crazy.” When Junghee sulked, Minjung smiled at her. “Still, I’m rooting for your one-sided love to become a full-fledged romance.”

Junghee pouted. “I would like to ask my crush to our next Sadie Hawkins dance, but can’t because of the stupid rule my parents made this year. I can’t go to any social events unless Kibum Oppa goes too. And Kibum Oppa refuses to date out of spite.” Minjung squeezed Junghee’s hand consolingly. “I’m sure you’ll think of a solution.” Junghee bit her lower lip. “I think I already have, Minjung, but it involves you.” “Oh, no!” Minjung exclaimed quickly. Junghee pouted, “You haven’t even heard what I wanted to ask.” Minjung smirked, “After being friends for years, I know you well enough to know what you wanted to ask. You want me to try dating your brother, don’t you?”

Junghee laughed. “You do know me very well. But I know you well, too.” “What do you mean?” Minjung asked nervously. Junghee gave Minjung a stern glance. Junghee took out her cell phone and pressed the record button. “Choi Minjung, don’t forget that you owe me! You broke our confession pact! Since today was the confession deadline, the two of us could go find your crush right now for you to confess.” Minjung waved her hands and shook her head rapidly, her face flushed. “I could never confess in front of you!” “I know, it’s too embarrassing to think about, right? That’s why I’m issuing you a whole new challenge.” Junghee giggled mischievously. “I challenge you to seduce the shrew, Kim Kibum!” Minjung swallowed nervously, “There’s no third option?”

“Nope, your only two choices are the open confession or accepting the new challenge instead,” Junghee smirked. “You succeed this challenge if Kibum Oppa goes to the Sadie Hawkins dance with you. If you succeed, I’ll give you the last $200 from my kissing booth money. And if you fail,” Junghee shrugged, “well, just consider it practice for asking your real crush out later. I trust you are stubborn enough to succeed though.” Junghee paused to give Minjung time to weigh her options. “So, which will it be?” Minjung sighed. “I’m sure I’ll regret this, but challenge accepted,” she said resolutely. “Great,” Junghee squealed, ending the recording. “This is super exciting, right?” Junghee smiled brightly. “Yeah, so exciting,” Minjung said with remarkably less enthusiasm.