Friend, Foe, Lover

Midnight Kiss
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Another week has passed and no fights have occurred. No insulting marathons have found place in the hallways. Xueer’s craving a confrontation, even if it’s some silly name-calling. She needs it. It's her anti-drug. Her sanity. Her moment of the week. Or is it just a cover-up? A cover-up for something that lies way deeper than some random derision? Maybe she just needs her.

Either way, she’s not getting it. Every time they pass each other, faces would be turned. Interest would immediately shift to the ever-so-fascinating floor. Did Jiaqi disturb their relationship by kissing her? Or did Xueer disturb it by confronting her? These questions have been running a lot lately inside the cheerleader’s head, and the worst thing is that her answer is that she has no idea. But what she does know, is that she needs her. She needs her to be her something. Her someone. Friend, lover, foe. She didn’t care what exactly, but it had to be something. Cause right now, it looked like nothing. And that thought just hurt her too damn much.

As she walks into class, Xueer instantly spots Jiaqi by Dai Meng’s side, her best friend. Same place as always. Last row, last seat on the left, just by the window. She's looking outside, clearly lost in her thoughts. Peaceful, but still with a harshness on her face. Unique as always, of course. The readhead’s brought out of her daze as Xiaotang calls her over to sit next her. Same place too, like always. She doesn't even have time to sit properly before she starts talking her ear off about something Shuxin did and said to her. She barely responds through some continuous and simple nodding, giving her some kind of assurance that she’s listening intently.

The murmurs of her peers slowly fade as Mrs. Chen makes her entrance into the classroom. And rightfully it seems, as she immediately positions herself in front of her desk, ready to make her first speech of the day.

"So class, today I'm going to give you an assignment on poetry. You are expected to analyze a total of 5 poems. You'll analyze 3 poems of my choice and two of your own choice. Since this is a partner assignment, each partner gets to choose one. If the partners are not content with each other’s choices, they will need to convince each other. And I'd like to hear all of the arguments that were given."

Murmurs invade the classroom again, as several students mutter their obvious discontent on their latest task. Others are already a step ahead and start partnering up, but Mrs. Chen clearly has a different idea. More shocking things have already occurred in class.

"I inform you, that you cannot choose your own partners. You'll be taking a big dive next year and choices will be made for you. So… this is also an exercise on learning to work with people you don't usually work with. I've decided to partner you up randomly, so you won't think that I'm picking on you by partnering you up with someone you won't like. If you're lucky your best friend's name will be said with yours, if not then you'll have to make the best out of it." She explains.

"Great, not only is this a stupid assignment, but we can't even choose our own partners." Xiaotang whispers in annoyance. It's clear by the moans and groans around Xueer that her friend isn't the only one who's sharing that thought.

"Now this assignment isn't to be taken lightly. These grades are worth a significant percentage of your final grade. You'll have five weeks to work on it both in class, and out of class. So, try and make full use of it." She advices her class one last time.

"Now the groups are as following: Dai Meng and Sun Rui, Kong Xueer and Xu Jiaqi, Xie Keyin and Nai Wan, Zhao Xiaotang and Jin Zihan, Yu Yan and Zeng Keni, …"

"Great, out of all the people that I can work with, they hook me up with the freak that gets sleepy everytime she breathes." Xiaotang sighs dramatically, conveniently drowning out their teacher's voice.

Xueer doesn't answer her and it takes her a few beats pass before she finally realizes who she’s teamed up with.

"But… I guess working with the Slumber-freak isn't nearly as bad as working with the Kiki girl." She chuckles amused but the redhead simply keeps quiet. Not knowing for sure how she’s supposed to feel. Whether she should be happy and relieved or mad and disappointed. Her expression is completely blank and it doesn't go lost on her counterpart.

"Snow, you're zoning. It's going to be fine. I mean, she hasn't insulted you or anything lately so it doesn't have to be that bad." She says, trying to kick some hope into her.

Of course Xiaotang doesn't know about the midnight kiss or the confrontation in the bathroom. Or that second barely-there-kiss, that was initiated by the redhead herself. Technically speaking she is her best friend. And technically speaking, she should tell her everything. But in reality, that did not happen. Xueer never was a fan of the technical regulation anyway.

Mrs. Chen hands them their poems and the redhead grabs all the courage she has to lift herself from her desk and head over to Jiaqi’s. Because there's no way that Xu Jiaqi would tire herself out and shift places herself. She sighs heavily before finally wandering over to the back of the class and sits in the empty seat next to her. Briefly wondering if she ever sat in this area of the class.

The short haired girl doesn't bother to take her eyes from the window and Xueer honestly don't dare to shake her out of her thoughts. Silent moments pass before she finally decides to speak up.

"So, I guess we're stuck with each other." She jokes in attempt to lighten the mood. But it all is in vain as the other girl doesn't even move an inch from her position. Xueer nervously shifts in her chair, before she regains her composure and tries again.

"Any idea, what poem you're going to choose?" She asks casually. Or tries to anyway. There's a tremble present in her voice that she’s not used to hear. One that doesn't help any further as Jiaqi continues ignoring any of her words. It's bad enough that she won't talk to the cheerleader. It's even worse that she keeps watching through the window, completely disregarding her presence altogether.

Xueer sighs heavily and gives it one last try. Just one.

"Look Jiaqi, I know that this whole you-and-me working together, right now. But what more is that this counts for a large part of our final grade. And I am in no mood to fail this, and I'm pretty sure you aren't either."

"You don't know a thing about what I want or don't want, got that?" She hisses menacingly, finally shifting herself towards her in a quick rush.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter