In the Darkness

Midnight Kiss
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The club is buzzing. Bodies are moving to the newest beats, that are expertly scratched by some local DJ. It's the hottest place in town with the hottest people in town. Yet Xueer can’t feel anymore drained than she already feels. It's New Year's eve and she’s spending it with Yuxin. Yes Yuxin, as in MVP for the last three years Yuxin. She must've been drugged when she agreed to do this, because it's definitely not the night she’s been imagining to have. Yes, the club is hot, the atmosphere is ing unbelievable, but Yuxin?

Don't get her wrong, Xueer likes her. Just not the way Yuxin likes her. The redhead is supposed to be getting into the new year with a fresh start, a clean slate, a new her. And she ended up spending it with her very much not new and fresh ex-main squeeze. The worst thing about the night is probably yet to come: the midnight kiss. Of course Yuxin being Yuxin, will not settle for the quick friendly peck on the lips. She's probably expecting a full-on make-out session. The blonde firmly believes that Xueer being the head-cheerleader and her being the Basketball-captain are reunited. Unfortunately, the latter isn't the only one. Practically all of Xueer’s friends have been giving her calls congratulating and notifying her of their excitement for rekindling her love with 'The One'.

They couldn't have been anymore wrong.

She couldn't help but feel nauseous when Yuxin started grinding into her and giving her her version of the 'I want you' look. The redhead wonders if the other is familiar with the 'I want to gag' look and briefly ponders whether she should try it out on her. She discards the thought and simple settles for a fabricated smile and tells her that she’s thirsty. Yuxin being the gentlewoman she is, says to stay where she is and immediately goes to fetch them some drinks. She’s a sweet girl, she really is. And she's a great friend and, yeah well, that's pretty much where the story ends. The thing is, she and the majority of the rest of the school think otherwise. And who is Xueer to tell them differently?

She’s surrounded by sweaty bodies that are practically having vertical and decides to move towards the back. The blonde probably wouldn't find her directly, which is a good thing since it was only ten more minutes for midnight and she’s really not into kissing her dearly right now, or ever as a matter of fact.

The answer is simple: she just can't. Midnight kisses are supposed to be special. It's the kiss that knits the old year with the new one. The kiss that would shape her love-life for the entire next year. The kiss that would sweep her off her feet and bring her into frenzy. The kiss that brings her into heaven for a couple of moments right before she lands back on the ground with a loud thud. As in importance, it was right up there with the sweetness of her very first kiss with somebody and the bitterness of her very last kiss with that same person. She couldn't possibly share that moment with Yuxin. It isn't fair to Yuxin, and it certainly isn't fair to Xueer.

Midnight was getting closer and closer and the blonde finally spots the redhead from across the room. She gives her a little nod of acknowledgement and starts making her way through the mass, carefully trying not to spill the drinks. Xueer sighs loudly at the prospect of kissing her and quickly starts thinking of a last-minute escape-plan. But her inner musings soon halts when she’s suddenly drenched in darkness. Murmurs quickly fill the club, as everyone tries to understand what's happening. Slightly relieved, she keeps lea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter