When I Gave You All

Beneath the Moonlit Sky

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 4

When I Gave You All

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

On the night of the Consort’s return, eight brooches glowed in the night, fueled by the pearl red rays released from the brooch on the hands of Captain Shim Changmin.

A Sapphire Blue hue engulfed the office of the Personnel Minster, Park Jungsoo, who was perusing the files of the passers of the Civil Service Exams, which the Minister dropped the moment the brooch glowed. As soon as he read the glow though, all he could do was sigh and look at the sky, saying a brief thank you to the moon.

Pastel Rose Pink glowed on the chest of Princess Taeyeon, playing the geomungo at the Buyongjeong Pavilion. The occurrence caught the eye of the princess almost immediately. She smiled as she deciphered the glow and sighed in relief. Finally.

Pearl Aqua glowed in the Star Mansion, where Deputy Head Shaman Lee Jinki almost dropped his lamp and set the said place on fire, had he not been saved by his younger fellow shaman, Lee Taemin, who looked at the man’s brooch like it was Christmas day.

Pearl Light Periwinkle woke up the Head Court Lady Physician Song Qian in her much needed sleep after working for twelve straight hours in the public clinic. She was about to curse at the one making the light, only to realize a few seconds later that it was her brooch emitting the light. In an instant, she was wide awake and fumbled to decipher the message. Once she did, however, she heaved a sigh of relief and was wide awake. It was time for her to make some preparations.

A bright Cosmic Latte light filtered the circular hall of the Imperial Mage Office, where Imperial Mage Kim Junmyeon was conversing with eleven floating orbs of the External Order in the middle of the room. He was not the only one who witnessed the glow of his brooch, as not a second later, the people he was communicating with the said orbs started speaking in enthusiasm upon seeing it happen. Junmyeon had to silence them all in order to decipher the message and the order.

Pastel Coral hit the eyes of Lady Minister Bae Joohyun as she was in the gama on her way home from a late night meeting with her close officials. The ones carrying her gama were shocked and stopped, wanting to make sure that their mistress was alright from the inside. When the glow subsided, Joohyun assured her servants that she was fine, and that she had just received a message, and to keep going on the way back to her home.

Pearl Neo Champagne glowed in the Imperial Library, shocking the Deputy Chief Scholar Moon Taeil that he yelped in shock, gaining the attention of the guards outside. As they watched the brooch of the Deputy Chief Scholar glow, they were taken out of their stares when Taeil himself got his act together and assured the guards that everything was fine. They seemed convinced enough after seeing a very bright smile on the scholar’s face.

Vivid Plum glowed in the night at the garden of the Astral Shrine at the top of a sacred mountain overlooking the entire capital. Unlike the others, the brooch sat at the hands of a young man who was looking at the moon, his peripheral vision being of use in deciphering the message without his attention leaving the moonlight. Once the light subsided, the young man sighed and closed his eyes, and when he opened them again, they were glowing silver and vivid plum before returning back to their original dark eyes. He looked at the moon-shaped brooch designed with various sizes of colored diamonds, and hanging on the moon was a purple tassel that bore his name: ‘MOONBIN.’

A single phrase escaped his lips for the first time in a while, hoarse but sure.

“He has returned.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Jaejoong felt a little lightheaded as Junsu placed his hand on his temples, channeling his magic to flow through his mind. Normally, this would look invasive, but for his current situation, the shaman going through his mind is required.

Jaejoong could count only on one hand how many people he had let in his mind: the first one was with Yamapi when he was trying to find a way to bring back his memories, the second person was accidental. It was when he was teaching Yuta mind magic and had accidentally looked into Jaejoong’s mindscape (Yuta had to apologize to him for going too far in his mind) and the third person is right in front of him, the Imperial Shaman’s energy roaming his head.

It was a bit awkward, but from the looks of it, the shaman knew what he was doing. He had put it off for two days since they had arrived, Junsu reasoning that he needed to prepare himself for the entry and to select the perfect time to do it. Hopefully it was not the very next day, as they needed time to settle into the residence. Now two days later, Junsu said that it was time.

Jaejoong had been shaken awake by the shaman so suddenly, saying that twilight helps his magic be at its peak to look into his mind.

There are many mages that gets the most boost in their magic in specific times of the day, or specific astral events, such solstices and eclipses. For Kim Junsu, twilight was the best time for his magic. It was the period between dawn and sunrise, which really answered the reason why he was a morning person, unlike his husband who liked to wake after sunrise.

Which was why at the moment, they were at his mindscape, and Junsu was alone. Jaejoong was watching over him from above, unable to interfere as he had been unable to do when Yamapi and Yuta went in his mind. All he could do was communicate with Junsu with his voice in his mind.

The shaman was in the middle of a winter forest path, the trees covered in snow, looking dead, dried and devoid of leaves, and the only trail that Junsu can see is a trail that leads to a red pavilion in the distance.  

“Here is where Yamapi began.” Jaejoong’s voice echoed in the area as Junsu scanned the place.

Concluding that nothing can hurt him or attack him for any reason, Junsu walked on to the direction of the pavilion.

“Cold and bare…” Junsu started. “Has this been the state of your mindscape since the last time the Japanese mage went in here?” he inquired.

“Yes. But this is only the beginning of this mindscape…” Jaejoong commented.

Junsu was about to ask why that is, but when he neared the red wood pillar lamps on either side of the worn down path, a sudden energy barrier barred him from proceeding and had made a clinking sound. It made Junsu yelp in shock and landed on his behind. “What…?”

“Strange…” Jaejoong said with a hum.

“Is this the first time someone was blocked from proceeding?” Junsu inquired.

“No. This is the first time someone was blocked but not electrocuted.”

“Pardon?!” Junsu squeaked.

“Yamapi and Yuta were subsequently electrocuted when they tried to move past the pillars.” Jaejoong explained. “The two didn’t dare go ahead.”

Junsu tilted nodded head in understanding. It seems that his mindscape has all the natural protective shields up. “I’m glad your defense shields recognizes me to at least not shock me.” Junsu mused as he tried to squint his eyes into trying to look in further at the pavilion. “But I can see something from here. The pavilion looks a bit familiar though.” Junsu muttered.

“What can you remember from this place?” Jaejoong wondered.

The shaman simply shrugged. “I don’t know where I have seen this scene either, but the location is definitely here…” Junsu’s left hand was outstretched now, and not a second later, his hand started to glow and hovered it around the barrier that was supported by the pillars, trying to find a way to unseal it then he heard the clinking sound again.

The Shaman furrowed his brows. “This is the seal.” Junsu concluded as he channeled some of his magic around the pillar, and the once invisible barrier had chains materializing, all wrapped around the two pillars, barring entry to anyone who dared.

“Oh my goodness…even Yamapi didn’t manage this…”

“It’s because the magical signature around this seal does not recognize him, and it did not allow him any further entry. It’s strange, but it answered to someone with links...and I can tell that the signature is Hyunjoong’s…as Hyunjoong’s fellow student, I’m impressed by his work, but as someone who needs to find a way to break this, it’s troublesome.” He said as he retracted his hands. “But why am I sensing your signature as well…?” he muttered the last part.

Not a second later, he was out of his mindscape and was staring at Jaejoong calculatingly.

“What do you think about it?” Jaejoong dared ask him.

“There’s a noticeable crumbling going around the barrier, which means that it’s weakening bit by bit.” He informed. “I’m guessing it started to deteriorate since we had Hyunjoong in stasis after his trial in the Gathering.” He added. “But I’m not going to assume that it would break immediately. It could take decades if we wait for it to break on its own.” He sighed.

Jaejoong’s head was now downcast, already predicting that having the Imperial Shaman look into it would not give them any clues as to how to break the seal or how to find the trigger to unlock it. “I knew you’d say that.” Jaejoong said with a sigh.

Junsu placed his hand on his shoulder, “Do not stress yourself about it. This is the reason why we are trying our best to find your trigger. If anything, it would be something that you and Hyunjoong shared while you were apprentices.” He revealed.

Jaejoong shot his head up to look at him, “We…knew each other personally?”

Junsu nodded as he took a seat across from him. “You and Hyunjoong go way back. You were friends alongside Tailor Kim Heechul and General Kwon. You were childhood friends, you see.” Junsu explained to him. “The three of you went to school at the same time and took and passed the two Civil Service Exams and were assigned to separate departments. While Heechul-hyung only spent a few years at the Ministry of Rites before retiring and becoming a tailor, and General Kwon defied her family and joined the military ranks, you and Hyunjoong went on to be assigned at the Imperial Mage Office.”

“What…was our relationship back then?” Jaejoong dared ask.

Junsu sighed. “The two of you were so close that even Yunho-hyung had some fits of jealousy.” He mentioned, remembering the times when they would see Yunho do his own thing and ignore Jaejoong when he sees him together with the other man. It drove him, Changmin and Yoochun crazy as he was being a pest in their quest to set them up.

“What?” Jaejoong stuttered. To think that the Emperor was capable of jealousy…

A dolphin-like laugh came out of Junsu as he recalled those times. “Yeah. It wasn’t until he was visited by his husband, Hyungjun, who was a teacher at Sungkyunkwan, did he realize that the jealousy was unfounded.” He could still remember the baffled look the then Crown Prince sported when Kim Hyungjoon and Hyungjun showed affection in public, and Jaejoong was gushing at them because they were to celebrate their third year of marriage on that day.

“I…I see…” Jaejoong let out.

The man stopped laughing as he remembered the days before Jaejoong went missing. “You two were close friends as well. Unfortunately, before you disappeared, the two had a big argument, and Hyunjun retired to his homeland without Hyunjoong, and for some reason, only you knew why they did.”

That was easy enough for Jaejoong to understand. If Hyunjoong and he really were close, then that would explain why most of the people inside the palace right now are scratching their heads in wonder, for he must have shared a lot with the mage due to the length of their relationship. He knew him a lot longer than the Emperor after all. The mere thought of the Emperor made Jaejoong a bit awkward.

For the past two days ever since he overheard his conversation with Junsu, Yoochun and Changmin, he had been quite awkward with the Emperor. Not to say that he had been pushy, but the Emperor seemed to have trouble with personal space, a matter that he realizes only a second later before retracting himself from Jaejoong’s space and immediately apologizing that he was being too much. He was embarrassed and was a blushing mess every time he invades his personal space. Despite that, he was enjoying his time with the Emperor all in all.

There was also the matter of the boys.

The morning after their arrival, Yuta and the boys have been engrossed in diplomatic rites that Yuta claimed ‘drove him nuts and makes him miss his Mother’ in one of their conversations with the Correspondence Scroll that Yamapi lent him. He had wanted to come to the private residence at the second half of his first day at the main palace, but thankfully, Yamapi held him in.

Jaejoong had explained that it would be strange for Yuta to be asked to transfer residence at the Imperial Family’s private residence just for lessons. In order to avoid suspicions in the court, they had to stall for two days before arriving, but they will not be arriving alone, as Yoochun had informed him.

It seems that there were some people who were more than anxious to see him once again.

He and Han Geng tried to pry who they are, but Junsu and Yoochun were not telling.

Junsu turned and looked at the window. “The sun is fully up in the sky. We will end this session right here, now that I know what is happening in your mindscape.” He said and stood up. “People will be coming here soon, along with your student,” he told him. “From what Jaehyun had told me, they seem to be jealous of him.” he chuckled.

Jaejoong had to tilt his head in wonder.

 *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Jae-sensei!” Yuta, in his most un-prince-like attitude, approached a baffled Jaejoong who caught him in his arms as Yuta whined in agony upon seeing him at the receiving room. “I’m begging you, don’t leave me alone in a den of your jealous ex-students anymore!”

“Den of what?” Jaejoong wondered as he stared at the group that were entering the room of the private residence. It only consisted of Jaehyun, Taeyong, Yamapi and Yuta.

“We’re just saying, how come you get to have an immersion once a month as of four years ago, when we’re forbidden to do that until we turn thirteen?!” Jaehyun asked Yuta.

“My what?” Jaejoong looked at the now composed Yuta. “What’s this about your immersion lessons?”

Yuta whined, “I don’t know either! I just told them about your teaching ways, and now they started giving me jealous looks.”

Jaejoong was about to ask more questions when Yoochun swooped in to the rescue and signaled the boys to take a seat. “Don’t take it too harshly, Prince Yuta. These little hellions were once Jaejoong-hyungnim’s students before Kangta-hyungnim took over the task." He shared. “In their original lesson plans, they are not to go into an immersion phase until they are thirteen, given that they are a member of the Imperial Family.”

“But I didn’t get an immersion until that age too you know! Why are they so jealous?”

“Because you actually have it. The other tutors would not even think of taking the boys out of the palace or their residence to live as commoners. Only Jaejoong-hyung has that because of his own upbringing, and express permission from the Emperor.” Yoochun shared.

“And we will end the matter here, Jaehyun. Stop being jealous.” Taeyeong teased. “Have you settled well in the residence, Jaejoong-hyungnim?” Taeyong asked, wanting to change the subjects before Yuta gets minus charm points from his best friend Doyoung’s books.

The other man nodded. “I had a fitful sleep, until Junsu-sshi woke me up earlier.”

“His magic is strongest at twilight, I wouldn’t blame him.” Taeyong stated.

“So, why the whining?” Jaejoong wondered.

Yamapi snorted. “The boy was scared of their stares of jealousy.” He spilled. “Even the Doyoung boy was looking at him in jealousy.”

Han Geng snorted. “I knew it.”

“I see now.” Jaejoong said as he tore himself off of Yuta. “Now that you’re here, why don’t we continue your foreign diplomacy lessons?”

“What?! That’s not fair!” Yuta complained. “I thought we were done with it in the ship.”

“I taught you the basics while at sea. It’s time you learn more about it in-depth.” Jaejoong told him and looked at the other two, “And of course, I would need your input if I taught him incorrectly.” He added. “Would the two of you like to join us on his lessons?”

From the bright smile on the faces of the pair, Jaejoong felt at ease and delighted.

That was the scene that Yunho walked into when he entered the receiving room as well. “Ah, Jaehyun, Taeyong,” he then turned and bowed at Yuta who stood properly and did the same. “And Crown Prince Yuta.” He finished. “I apologize if I was not able to meet you yesterday.”

Yuta bowed back a bit deeply, “There is no need to apologize, Your Majesty. I understand why you couldn’t meet me in person on my first day here.” He replied. “I’m just glad that Jae-sensei is able to move forward in his own investigations about his past. Coming here to help him on that is a great pleasure.”

Yunho nodded in approval of the boy, “I can see that you two are pretty close.”

“Yes, Your Majesty.” Yuta confirmed. “He taught me everything he can in terms of my duties and magic as well.”

The Emperor chuckled, “I can tell. Jaejoong teaches people very well. I’m glad that he became a good tutor to you.” He told him. “Are you to return to your lessons with him so soon?”

Jaejoong shook his head, “Not at all, Jeonha.” Jaejoong said. “We still have some visitors to entertain today, as Junsu-sshi had told me earlier. I think it’s best for us to postpone the lessons until tomorrow. Jaehyun-sshi and Taeyong-sshi will be joining tomorrow.”

“I see…” Yunho said. He then caught the attention of the Imperial Mage of Japan. “And I believe you are Yamaa Tomohisa, the Imperial Mage of Japan?”

Yamapi bowed in front of the emperor in courtesy. “Yes I am, Your Majesty. Apologies on the late greetings.”

“Oh, not at all.” Yunho waved his hand, “If it’s no bother, is it alright for me to take Jaejoong for the moment?”

The other people in the room looked closely at Jaejoong for his reply, making him feel like a cornered animal.

But it was a request from the Emperor, so Jaejoong had to agree.

With that, he exited the room with the Emperor while the boys and the two adults were straining their necks to see the two depart together.

Once they were out of sight, Yamapi looked at Han Geng, “What’s been going on for the past two days?”

Han Geng merely rolled his eyes. “Awkwardness and small flirting from the end of the Emperor. Of course, Jaejoong is flustered.”

For two straight days, Han Geng had seen the two spend a lot of time together. Though Jaejoong was awkward, he has no self-awareness that he was being too close with the Emperor without him noticing. He and the others with him on the private residence could see that Jaejoong was getting closer to the Emperor, paying attention to everything that he is saying. Though Han Geng and Junsu had concluded that his mind was telling him to listen because it was rude not to, they beg to differ. After all, Junsu knew Jaejoong far longer and had memorized the way he acts towards his husband for years.

“Progress on their relationship?” Yamapi inquired.

“Getting closer, sharing stories and laughing. It’s looking more like a normal courting than anything, though knowing Jaejoong, he won’t think that way.” Han Geng replied.

Jaehyun rolled his eyes, “Oh no. I’ve already heard too much about their unconscious mutual pining when I was young, I don’t need to see the live viewing version.”

“Me too.” Taeyong said with a sigh. “But you have to admit, from Changmin-hyung’s unfiltered stories, Yunho-hyung had a hard time getting his point across back in the day.”

“Yeah.” Jaehyun said.

Yuta raised his brow in wonder, but he let out a chuckle once he realized what they were saying. “I remember when someone from the palace tried to flirt with him. The lady didn’t stand a chance since he never regarded her flirting as one, even though it was obvious to us all.”

The eyes of the pair were on Yuta, asking him for answers.

“Really? Who?” Jaehyun wondered.

Yuta waved his hand in dismissal, “It was a daughter of a noble family. The initial intention was flirting her way to Yama’s bed, but she got entranced with Jae-sensei’s face that she set her eyes on him, not realizing that he never really saw her as a potential partner. When he told her just that, and that she was not his type, she went out of the palace crying. I’ve never been so amused.”

“Your point, Yuta?” Taeyong pried.

“My point is, this time, Jae-sensei is definitely noticing His Majesty’s intentions.” He explained. “Besides, I think he’s unconsciously pictured the Emperor as his ideal man when I asked him back then what kind of person does he prefer marrying. He’ll be falling in no time.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“You seemed happy, seeing your student again after a few days away.” Yunho said as the two of them walked to the garden pavilion, overlooking the flowers that had been planted in its vicinity.

Jaejoong nodded. “I am happy that he’s alright. I always worry when he is not under my watch. That boy can be a rascal when he wants to.”

“Really?” Yunho pried.

The other man took it as a cue to continue. “When I started teaching him when he was eleven, he used to get distracted in a lot of things and tends to sneak out and cause heart attacks for the palace staff. The Empress actually made it a requirement for us who wanted to become the Imperial Tutor to know how to seek him out and to drag his ear back to learning. A lot failed on the searching part, until I came along.” He sat down at the bench at the pavilion, looking at the flowerbed where hydrangeas were growing. “All Yuta wanted to be is to be understood as himself, not as a prince. He wanted to be treated just like any other boy in the country. He wanted to play, have fun, and live his childhood. He doesn’t want to be confined in a four-cornered room all day and night. He needed a breather.” He told him. “That’s why I a deal with him that started it all…”

“Tell you what, instead of lessons all day until the evening, why don’t we shorten it for the morning until two hours after lunch so that you can play in the courtyard as you like? You can revise the lessons on your own in the evening before dinner and we can resume in the morning.” Jaejoong bargained. 

“Really? You’re allowing me to do that?” a twelve year-old Yuta perked up at the proposition that was given to him by the foreign tutor.

Jaejoong nodded with a smile. “Of course. A growing boy needs to expend his energy somewhere. But you must promise me that you will work hard on our lessons for the week.”

The boy nodded enthusiastically. “Can I play football outside on my breaks too?”

“Only if you don’t hit anyone or anything that is of value. You will need to be careful with that.” Jaejoong said.

Yuta was close to accepting the deal, but he was still a bit hesitant at the trial tutoring and the tutor himself. “But…why are you going through all these lengths to teach me? Most of the tutors would just try and catch me and lock me up in the room to study with them day in day out…”

“Hmm…” Jaejoong placed his hand on his chin as he thought of an answer. “Maybe because that was how they were taught back in their day. But I think differently. We need to have equal parts fun and seriousness in our daily lives so that we don’t lose ourselves. Since you are the Crown Prince, Yuta-ouji, you have a lot on your plate, but that does not mean that your childhood should be sacrificed. You’re a child first and foremost, and you need all the fun you could get.” He told him. “So, do we have a deal?” he asked as he outstretched his hand.

There was only one reply for the young prince. He took the outstretched hand and shook it, binding their agreement.

And from then on, Jaejoong accomplished what other local scholars could not: he made the Crown Prince truly learn.

“He kept his promise and worked hard, and when he went out to boarding school, he always assured me that he works twice as hard as he would as if I was the one teaching him.” Jaejoong finished. “And now he’s out there annoying Doyoung-sshi the moment he laid eyes on him.” he chuckled. “It feels like raising your own teenager.”

All the while, Yunho was silently listening to his story. “I can tell.”

“Hm?” Jaejoong looked back at the Emperor and accidentally looked straight into his eyes, making him flinch.

“You always had that twinkle in your eyes when you tell me all about the escapades you and your trainees were doing back when you were at the Imperial Mage Office, and you were also sporting that same twinkle when you teach Jaehyun, Moonbin and Taeyong.” Yunho replied. “It’s adorable.”

For the past two days, Yunho had shown him the place, telling him of the little things that might make Jaejoong remember, from what he does before they even met, until the days they did. So far, there were no reminders that might help Jaejoong remember even a bit of a fragment of memory in him. The awkwardness of Jaejoong didn’t help much, but he finds it adorable either way. It was like the time after he found out that he was the prince and not as an ordinary officer assigned to the Crown Prince security (after an angry tirade). Popping up at his office, invading his personal space, Yunho was basically making Jaejoong notice him all over again.

He could tell that it was definitely working both ways.  

A blush crept at Jaejoong’s face right away. He tried looking away, but Yunho could see the red in his ears as well.

“Please don’t say that so casually, Jeonha.” Jaejoong pleaded once he calmed down, but there was still a tint of pink on his cheeks. Jaejoong felt like he was going to explode in embarrassment in no time.

Yunho laughed, “I’m sorry, it’s just…when it comes to you I can’t resist teasing you sometimes.” He admitted.

“Jeonha!” Jaejoong squeaked out.

Yunho kept on smiling at him fondly, and Jaejoong could feel that he was becoming hot with embarrassment again. “I’m sorry, your face is just too predictable.” Yunho mused.

When he concluded that Jaejoong would be silent for a while, Yunho decided to speak to at least ease his embarrassment. “Your flustered face aside, I think the look that I like seeing you the most is when you are carrying out your duties and getting annoyed with me when I interrupt you during my breaks.” He baited. “When we met, you didn’t know who I was. You thought I was just an officer from another town newly assigned to the palace.”

“Huh?” Jaejoong wondered. He always thought that since his family was of the yangban class, he would have known the face of the Emperor from his childhood, or had been subject to the Imperial Consort selection as is tradition. It was no longer used much, but it was still done on some generations since the end of the Joseon Dynasty. While they had kept most of its structures, a lot had changed in terms of their selection of royal marriages. The members of the royal family has some sort of freedom to choose their intended consorts themselves. It seems that he was mistaken that their arrangement was the product of that said selection.

“Yoochun was with me on that day. The two of you were classmates at Sungkyunkwan and were assigned at the Office of the Inspector General at first. The two of you parted ways when you went to the Imperial Mage Office and Yoochun was assigned at the Office of Special Advisors assigned to my palace. I was doing some incognito inspections when you caught my eye, demonstrating to your students how to shoot a proper bullseye and setting it on fire.” He continued. “I told Yoochun not to tell you who I really am, so you practically spent three months with me only knowing that I was an official assigned to the Crown Prince’s security detail.”

“J-Just for that, you hid your identity for three months?” Jaejoong inquired.

A small frown marred Yunho’s face, “It’s not ‘just for that’ you know. I actually enjoyed having you around treating me like a normal person rather than a Crown Prince of the country.”

Jaejoong tilted his head. It sounds like something that he will really do. “How…how did I find out who you were?”

Yunho smiled at the memory. “I was attacked in one of our drinking nights at our favorite eating places. There was only two of us that day because you wanted to say something to me when some people attacked us and targeted me. They demanded for you to hand me over. You said no, and they attacked.”

Alarmed, Jaejoong stiffened in attention. “Then…what happened? Was anyone hurt or injured?!”

“We were saved by my guards and Changmin. I was a bit injured, so I was taken to the nearest inn and had a royal physician take a look at me. When Changmin called me ‘Seja-jeoha’ in front of you without noticing, you went ballistic.” Yunho mused. “In all honesty, you scared me.”

“Seja-jeoha? YOU’RE the Crown Prince?!” a frazzled Jaejoong exclaimed as he was being treated by the physician.

Yunho was now panicking, and Changmin’s silence was not doing anything but put pressure in him because he was sporting a ‘you dug your grave, lie in it’ look. “Jaejoong-ah, I didn’t intend…”

“To what, Seja-jeoha?” he was not going to lie, the use of his title with his angry voice kind of cut him a bit more painful than his actual injury. “To hide it from me? Because for the past three months, you had your chance to tell me, especially when we tend to go out alone unsupervised because you wanted to keep this ruse? Or you didn’t intend to get attacked tonight and that you had loosened your security detail?”

“I’m sorry, but…”

“Sorry would not cut it Yu—Seja-jeoha. Do you have any idea what will happen if something worse had happened to you, and I am in the scene? I would be held accountable of your carelessness, not just the guards that you have with you.” He lectured. “How do you think I would feel if—no. You know what? I can’t face you right now.” He said with a sigh. “I need to go.”

“W-Where are you going?” Yunho dared ask.

Jaejoong opened the door and looked back at him with a disapproving look, “Home. And I would appreciate it, Seja-jeoha, if you don’t follow me anymore.” He said before leaving.

There were some scuffles outside, and when it had subsided, Yunho groaned and leaned on the covers that he was leaning on, wincing in pain a bit due to his injury.

Changmin only looked at him with a blank look. “Nice going, Yunho-hyung.”

“Changmin, not the time.” Yunho grunted.

Jaejoong was baffled at his own actions, even though he couldn’t remember it exactly. “I…I yelled at you?!” he squeaked.

“To be honest, I deserved it.” Yunho hummed and looked at the sky, the incident was now a mere fond memory, even if it still annoyed Jaejoong when he brings it up at random times.

“Something tells me that you did not listen to me at that time.” Jaejoong said suspiciously.

Yunho had the audacity to smile and nod. “Of course. From that day on, during my breaks from my duties, I would follow you around and pester you until you forgave me. Though sometimes I would be politely declined by you when I ask you to go with me for drinks.” He said. “It took a while, but you forgave me.”

“Well, in hindsight, it was your own undoing, Orabeoni.”

The two were surprised at the voice behind them. They both turned to look at a woman dressed in a pink dangui with geumbak in the shape of flowers and a baby blue seuran chima. Her hair was tied in a daenggi meori, and on the top of her head is a floral baetssi daenggi accompanied by cheopji.

An Imperial Princess and one of Emperor Yunho’s sisters. From the pastel rose pink jeweled flower brooch on her left , she is a part of the Order of the Pastel Rose, a group consisting of the daughters of the Imperial Family who assists the Emperor in helping the lower class citizens of the Empire.

In an instant, Jaejoong stood up along with Yunho and he bowed to her in respect.  

“Taeyeon-ah.” Yunho greeted. “You’re here early.”

Taeyeon continued to approach the two of them at the pavilion, “I came as soon as I got my duties done for the past few days.” She then looked at Jaejoong who still has his head downcast, “Jaejoong-orabeoni, it’s wonderful to see you again. Though I do wish we’d have met under better circumstances when you still remember me.”

Jaejoong had read a lot about the royal family prior to coming to Korea, and he certainly had heard about Princess Taeyeon. The eldest daughter of former Emperor Young-min, she is the head of the order and the patron of the women, especially the lowborns who are widowed. She was gentle to a fault, but wouldn’t hesitate to give someone a tongue lashing when needed.

“Ongju-mama, it’s an honor to meet you.” Jaejoong replied, “And I’m sorry if I do not have any personal memories of you.”

Taeyeon shook her head, “No need for apologies. If anything, it’s…well.” she stopped herself. “I’m just glad that after all this fuss, Binnie was right in saying that you are still alive. We almost lost hope when you disappeared so suddenly.”

From the corner of his eyes, Jaejoong could see a small flinch on the Emperor’s stature, indicating that after five years, the memory of his disappearance still shakes them. But then, a familiar name registered in his mind, “Binnie…?”

The woman nodded, not noticing the curious voice of the man, “Yes. Moonbin said that you are still alive, and he knows it for a fact since your magic is bonded. Right now, he’s…”

“Taeyeon, how many times do we have to tell you to wait for us!” the exhausted voice of another woman scolded the princess.

“Honestly Mama-nim.” Another woman said exasperatedly.

Not looking at least a bit remorseful, Taeyeon greeted them. “Qian-eonni, you and Joohyun are too slow! This is why I tell you to practice running in the morning more!”

Jaejoong looked at the two women and saw that the older one is wearing a Head Physician’s clothing, while the other was wearing a red dangui with an embroidery of Black-eyed Susans, a variant of a sunflower with a dark, brown-purple centers. From the looks of the design, it seems to be a work of Tailor Kim, just like Princess Taeyeon’s. From the flowers itself, Jaejoong concluded that she is a member of a ministry. Both women wore a brooch on their left just like Princess Taeyeon.

The Physician had a brooch with periwinkle gems. It was the color of the Order of the Periwinkle, an order consisting of the best Physicians in the country in the service of Medical developments. The members of the order are all licensed physicians and nurses and are striving to gather more knowledge to assist the citizens and the royal family in curing illnesses that are spreading in the country. As of now, most of the core members are dispersed throughout the empire serving the public clinics to unearth illnesses and its remedies. The head of the order is Song Qian, who Jaejoong concluded, was the woman in front of him right now.

The female ministry official with has a brooch with pastel coral gems on them. Jaejoong concluded that she is a member of the Order of the Coral, the core people who had reorganized the Justice system of the empire and had been known to solve a lot of the cases that has been dropped on the Ministry of Justice and the Three Offices, or the Samsa.

Han Geng had already encountered Tailor Kim who wore the brooch for the Order of the Sapphire. All of the people in the palace and the government who wore the brooches was a sign that all of them were of high ranking and favor of the Emperor in terms of overseeing their respective departments. But no order had the utmost trust of the Emperor than the Order of the Red Pearl, which he had made himself.

“You try working at the public health clinic for twenty hours straight, see how you like it.” the woman named Qian replied. Jaejoong can tell that she hasn’t really gotten any sleep from her eyes alone.  

The other woman dressed in ministry clothing sighed as she approached the three of them. “Ignore her. She’s in one of her sleep-deprived moods.” She then looked at Jaejoong, “Welcome back, Jungjeon-mama.” She greeted with a bow.

Jaejoong immediately stuttered at the title, “Please, don’t call me by that title…I…”

Yunho was the one who rescued him from explaining. “For now, call him Jaejoong-sshi. That’s what we had agreed upon until we solve everything.” He told the two women.

“If it is what Jeonha wishes.” Qian said. “If you don’t mind, Jaejoong-sshi, would you allow me to examine you for a few minutes inside? I know this is a bit sudden, but I need to make sure you are well.”

“T-That would be fine…” Jaejoong replied. If there was one thing he learned about healers and physicians, it was to never deny them that request.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“You have been taken care of well for the past five years. The Japanese has done a good job in tending to your health.” Qian praised as she finished her assessment on Jaejoong’s health.

Jaejoong heaved a sigh of relief at that. “Thank you.”

“Oh don’t thank me yet.” Qian said, “Even with your memories gone, you still have a penchant for spicy food. You really need to cut back on the extra spicy food if you don’t want to have some bothersome diagnosis later in life.”

Jaejoong winced at that. He always had to consult with the physicians back in Japan about his occasional acid reflux scares. “I’ll keep that in mind.”

The Lady Physician doesn’t seem to believe him, but didn’t say any more on the topic. “While your physical health is clear, I do worry about your mental state, Jaejoong-sshi. Junsu-nim had told us the gist of things, but we want to make sure nothing else has been compromised.”

“I understand.” Jaejoong said with a nod.

“Well then, let’s go and meet the others then.” Qian instructed as she stood up and went to the door and Jaejoong followed her.

As they were approaching the receiving room where Yunho was waiting with his sister and the Justice Minister, they heard an argument between siblings.

“What do you mean you’re not going to press any charges even though he’s back? Yunho, that woman practically killed Jae-orabeoni at this point!”

“The case is still ongoing, make no mistake, Taeyeon. But there will be more nosy questions if I resume the case and bring in new sentences now that Jaejoong is back but without his memories. It could endanger him.”

“Jeonha is right, Ongju-mama. Opening it without sufficient evidence and the fact that Jungjeon-mama does not have his memories yet will just bring us back to square one, and would alert the people involved to erase more evidences as soon as they can.” Joohyun said, siding with Yunho.

“Did you tell the others that he’s back?” Yunho asked them.

Joohyun was the one who answered, “As Captain Shim instructed, only those whose brooches glowed are only the ones made aware. We made sure we left on separate occasions and alibis to avoid suspicions that we re-routed to the private residence.”

“Minister Jungsoo and Deputy Chief Scholar Taeil are making the cover-ups while Imperial Mage Junmyeon and Head Apprentice Shaman Jinki are on their way here. We have also received word that Shaman Kibum had already called the trainees and Moonbin down from the Astral Shrine and will be guided by Trainee Shaman Myungjun.” Joohyun reported.

At the mention of the trainees, Taeyeon spoke again, “Orabeoni…what about Moonbin then?”

“Did Sooyeong say anything about this to you again?” from the sound of Yunho’s voice, he didn’t look pleased at her question.

“I…” Taeyeon sighed. “She did.”

“You know she no longer has a say in what Moonbin does, not after what she did to Dongmin.” Yunho snapped. “Jaejoong trusted her to support him like a mother would, not to overtake our decisions.”

Taeyeon grunted. “I know that. I learned not to listen to her regarding her concerns with Moonbin after what she did, but there are some points that she is right.”

“Including attempting to defame Dongmin so that he can be arranged with Hwang Eunbi who also didn’t want to be in a marriage with him? Taeyeon, she thought she has a say in what happens in Moonbin’s life when by law, a surrogate mother has no authority in the life of the child.”

“But it is true that because of what Moonbin had learned regarding this case, he is now in that state…” Taeyeon replied.

“And what did Sooyeong ask you to do? Make you convince me to allow her to go near Moonbin to see if she can find a way to cure him?!”

When Taeyeon went silent, Jaejoong decided to open the door and look at the two of them who seem to be on the verge of throwing hands. Yunho was leaning on the window while Taeyeon was sitting down, glaring at her older brother. Joohyun was there, looking at the two of them exasperatedly.

Qian sighed and spoke up. “There you go arguing again.” She said. “I think it’s high time you include Jaejoong-sshi in this discussion, don’t you think?”

Jaejoong looked at the three people in the room. “What…what happened to the Grand Prince? How…how is he involved in all this?” he asked them. “Jeonha…what happened?”

From the looks of the Emperor, this was going to be a very painful conversation.

            *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“The boys were responsible in uncovering the mystery. A few months ago, Moonbin had found a breakthrough in the investigation alongside Jaehyun and Taeyong. While the boys were working together, Moonbin has discovered and learned more information than them. That was how we managed to arrest Hyunjoong for being your attacker on the ship. As for the ones behind it, Moonbin knew who it was, but he was struck by a curse just by knowing it. He’s been silent and out of it ever since. He was always asking to be brought to the Astral Shrine every night before a storm, and now, I ordered Kibum to bring him down here the moment we received word that you will be returning. Junmyeon tried to look for a way to dispel the curse that was on him, but to no avail. We were hoping you knew what happened to Moonbin but unfortunately…”

Jaejoong couldn’t shake the conversation earlier out of his head for the past two hours as he gazed into the evening sky at the gardens.

Because of knowing the truth, Moonbin was now affected by a type of magic that even the Imperial Mage can’t dispel. Everything that is happening to the royal family right now was caused by him, and he didn’t know why.

Yunho had assured him that everything was closed, and that the people who had caused his attack and the disappearance were now held accountable by the Gathering.

From what Lady Minister Joohyun had told him, everything was orchestrated by the Go Family, given that Hyunjoon’s side of the Kim clan was under the servitude of their family. When it was found out, Yunho did not think twice to exile the members who were responsible, but the rest of the Go Clan were brought in constant surveillance and are no longer allowed to hold a higher office unless a full background check on their activities were done. As for the Concubine (in name only, as Joohyun pressed) Go So-ui, given that she is the mother of the Crown Prince, a semblance of dignity needed to be maintained, so she was demoted to her current rank. She was once the same rank as General Kwon, a Gwi-in, but because of the scandal, she was demoted by the Emperor himself and also kept under constant watch. While it was a punishment that was light compared to her relatives, her reputation has been ruined.

Everyone in the clan and its supporters feared that Crown Prince Jaehyun will be stripped from his Crown Prince title and be replaced by the legitimate son, Moonbin, but Yunho maintained that the boy should not be held accountable for the sins of his maternal clan.

The reason for them wanting him eliminated was because of his immense connections. His family came from Gonju, a small yangban family, and Jaejoong along with his eight older sisters were the ones who made their family flourish. Through Jaejoong’s instructions with his sisters’ support, they built up the fortune that their family now holds. It came to a point that their family was that of the wealthiest in Gonju that it allowed their parents to retire early and to enjoy their golden years in their hard work as a family. With his entry at the palace, he had made some powerful connections that would make any opportunist in the government scared about his political growth.

His biggest supporter was the former Grand Prince Sooman who still has a hold on the government despite his absence and his current position as the founder and headmaster of Neo-Culture Technology Academy. Jaejoong has made friends with those in the Order of the Sapphire, the Imperial Princesses, the Order of the Coral, all of the members of the Order of the Red Pearl, and the absolute support of the Imperial Mage Office. He also has immense influence at the Royal Academy as one of its most valued instructors. It would make any opposition fear his growth.

The Go Family was the largest opposition he has the moment they found out that he had caught the Yunho’s eye. From their courting to their marriage, the Go Family were very vocal about their opposition of him. As expected, Yunho did not care.

The Go Family had the favor of the former Emperor Young-min, and in order to maintain the favor, Go So-ui has been chosen as a concubine who soon gave birth to Jaehyun, the second son after Yunho after having six daughters.

But after Yunho had taken over the throne after deposing his father after discovering that he was attempting to make underground deals with the Chinese Empire, their family tried to carry over the favor with him, presenting the same daughter since she was young enough still to give birth to an heir. Yunho refused their offer but adopted the newborn Jaehyun to protect him from the machinations of Go So-ui’s family, which was a request from the woman herself. Their worries worsened when he was wed to Yunho and had sired a healthy son, Moonbin, through Magical Surrogacy, a year after Jaehyun was born.

Which made him wonder.

Why would Go So-ui and her family want him dead even though Yunho had already declared Jaehyun as the Crown Prince and had specifically stated that Jaejoong approved of the decision?

From what was told to him, Jaehyun and Moonbin were raised as if they were blood-related brothers, and both showed abilities that were quite different from each other. Jaehyun had been inclined in joining the military units, while Moonbin showed promise in becoming a Shaman and was put under the care of Junsu’s apprentices. Yunho and Jaejoong had ensured that the boys are raised without anyone attempting to plant some sort of rivalry between them.

So why eliminate him and endanger the Grand Prince?

The answer must lie with Jung Hye-bin, but she had been cut off by Yunho a year ago when she tried to defame Lee Dongmin, a cousin of Taeyong, when Yunho had approved of the match with Moonbin when the boy himself expressed his desire to be with the young man who was apprenticing under the Imperial Star Mansion as a Shaman. Hye-bin didn’t like that and tried to frame Dongmin for something he did not do, in order for her to present a match with Hwang Eunbi.

Of course, she didn’t taken into account that Moonbin had made friends in the Star Mansion where he is currently training as a Shaman under Junsu’s guidance, and had uncovered the plot long before an agreement can be made with the Hwang Clan.

Yunho had barred her any access to Moonbin ever since.

Jaejoong’s thoughts were interrupted when he noticed that droplets of water were falling on him. He stood in attention and saw that it was starting to rain hard. He walked a bit too far from the main residence, so he ran to the nearest shade available, which was the pavilion by the gladiolus and holly flower beds. He looked over himself and was thankful that he was not that wet, but he heaved a big sigh once he looked at the grey sky. It was a rainstorm, from the strong wind and the heavy rain.

“Great. Now how do I get back?” Jaejoong muttered to himself.

“It will take a while, but we can wait.”

Jeaejoong nearly jumped in his place the moment he heard a boy’s voice. Turning at the direction of the voice, he saw a young man wearing a white dapho with a dark purple dopo. His hair, just like Yunho and the others, had his hair in a sangtu tied securely with his silver donggot and his purple manggeon with the badge of a kirin. On his left sat a purple moon-shaped brooch with vivid plum gems with small golden moons around the shape, emitting a soft vivid plum hue. Unlike the other brooches he had seen the other people wore, his has a light purple tassel with gold characters forming a name, but he couldn’t make it out at the moment. He was too distracted by the owner looking at him with is dark eyes with a purplish glow.

“Oh dear you scared me…” Jaejoong said while trying to slow down his heart rate.

“Our meeting, however, cannot.” He heard the boy speak again.

When he got his wits about him, Jaejoong realized that the boy was very, very familiar to him. Upon closer inspection, the boy had familiar features that he could not help but recognize. It only took him a few seconds after calming down for him to realize who the boy in front of him was.

“D-Daegun!” Jaejoong manage to whisper out from his shock.

The boy nodded and got up from the bench at the edge of the pavilion, and went near him. Jaejoong straightened himself as he came in face to face with the boy that was supposed to be his blood-related son. The boy who was the most affected in his disappearance for his quest for answers and the retrieval of his father. He had paid a large price in just knowing the truth, and was now cursed, and there was no one who was able to cure him.

My Moonbin.

The thought suddenly went to his mind that Jaejoong almost missed the voice inside his head. “What…?”

All of a sudden, Moonbin’s eyes glowed moonlight silver and started speaking again. “Do you remember what you told me?” Moonbin asked.

“Daegun…what are you saying?” Jaejoong asked, almost as if he was out of breath as he tried to speak.

“Tell me, who am I to you…?” Moonbin asked again, his eyes now turning vivid plum.

In that moment, Moonbin reached out to touch Jaejoong’s cheek, and his eyes turned back to its natural dark color as he spoke again. “What am I to you?” Jaejoong wanted to move his body, to retract from the touch of the boy because of the overwhelming feelings stirring inside him, but he couldn’t. He was pinned to his position not because Moonbin willed it, but because Jaejoong’s heart said not to move away from the boy.

Moonbin’s hand began to emit the same vivid plum glow. At that moment, Jaejoong can now see Moonbin in his mindscape, in front of the two pillars wrapped in chains. The difference now is that the chains were pulsing with the same vivid plum glow that he had seen Moonbin emit.

In front of the seal now stood Moonbin, his eyes now shifting into three different colors from time to time: dark, white and vivid plum, as he stared at the pulsing seal in front of him, looking like it was resisting Moonbin who was unmoving. The seal was reacting to Moonbin that not even Yamapi or Junsu can manage. It was as if the seal was afraid of Moonbin, of what he is capable of doing.

“Only if you say who I am, will I be free. Only when I am free will you have the key to yourself and the truth.” Moonbin was the one who spoke, but to Jaejoong, his voice sounded like an echo through his mind.

And just like that, Jaejoong’s vision went from his mindscape to stare back at Moonbin’s pleading dark eyes. “Appa…who am I?” the boy whispered.

Jaejoong’s heart broke when he saw tears fall from the boy’s eyes, showing the sorrow that he has held in for the past five years since he had disappeared. In a flash in his mind, he could see how devastated Moonbin was when he had heard of his disappearance, of his sleepless nights spent crying at the thought that one of his fathers had died, and how the only person who could make him smile was a handsome young man and his trainee shaman friends. He saw the betrayal in his eyes as he stared at his surrogate mother who was looking at him pleadingly for forgiveness.

And most of all, he had seen Moonbin search for the truth for the past five years, only to be confronted by Hyunjoong and had told him something that he should not know, that he should have not followed the trail of the trap, and all of a sudden, a glow between them rose from the brooches that they both wore. The next thing Jaejoong knew, he saw how an astral projection of himself appeared in front of Moonbin, telling him that he had fallen into a trap, and was subsequently silenced by the failsafe curse that Jaejoong had placed unless the intended target would confess themselves or they manage to find him first.

He could see the devastation in Yunho’s eyes through Moonbin, who had to suffer from the loss of his husband and how to also suffer through the loss of the consciousness of his youngest son. How regret had eaten up Jaehyun and Taeyong for allowing Moonbin’s stubbornness to stop them from investigating further and to leave it to him to uncover what else has been hidden.

He had also seen how Moonbin spent most of his days in the Astral Shrine, praying for the moon to help him find his father, and how a few days later, a rain storm would always rage towards the capital during the night, as it was on the night of the attack.

Jaejoong saw the eyes of the boy who loved him more than anyone else in the world.

And the eyes of the boy whom he knew in his heart, he had loved the moment he was born all those years ago.

Reaching back out to the boy, Jaejoong cradled his slightly plump face in his two hands, Moonbin’s hands now leaving his face and dropping to his sides. He could only stare at the man before him, crying and letting out small sobs as their eyes connected, Moonbin’s own orbs still shifting from the three colors as before.

As if the words were being fed to him, Jaejoong found his voice again, only to notice that he was also crying. “I know who you are. Even if my memories are not there, I know who you are.” He started. “You are my child, my most precious child…”

Moonbin started to smile, but he was still crying. “Appa…”

“You are my precious gift from the moon. My Moonbin.”

As soon as Jaejoong as spoken the words, two things happened.

First was a bright vivid plum light engulfed the two of them and around the pavilion. The raw energy of the light alerted the people in the household that something was going on in the middle of a rainstorm, and when they had looked at the windows, they immediately noticed the bright light emitting from the pavilion’s location.

But that occurrence did not faze the two people at the center of the glow, as the two smiled at each other the moment the words were spoken.

The color white and vivid plum left Moonbin’s eyes, settling at the dark eyes that he was born with as he smiled brightly at Jaejoong who was smiling at him as well.

The second thing that happened was the chains on the seal of Jaejoong’s mindscape slowly shattering as soon as Jaejoong had finished speaking. The chains shattered and crumbled in the snow-covered ground, evidently disappearing in a cloud of smoke.

What was left in his mindscape were the two pillars and a soft red translucent barrier showing a blurred view of the pavilion that was once indescribable by those who had entered his mindscape before.

The obstruction has been cleared. The only thing to do now is to proceed.

But that will have to wait.

As soon as Jaejoong got a good look at Moonbin, he smiled. “Hello, my Binnie.”

Moonbin smiled at his father, happy that he was remembered. “Hello, Appa.”

Jaejoong smiled at the boy and pulled him into an embrace. “Just a little more…wait just a little more…”

The boy in his arms snuggled in the embrace, savoring the moment, knowing he will wait for a little longer for him to have this warmth back with him permanently. “I will. I will. Thank you, Appa.”

“I love you my Moon.” Jaejoong said and kissed the top of his head.

As soon as he said that, the light began to fade until it disappeared in the rain like nothing ever happened.

When Yunho and the others got to the pavilion, the light was long gone, and on the floor were the bodies of Moonbin and Jaejoong, side by side, collapsed from the energies that they had released in a single night.

The rain storm raged on in the capital, and no one knew what happened in the pavilion but the two unconscious people.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Morning will come and I know we’ll be one

Cause I still believe that you’ll remember me

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

To Be Continued