My Heart...

Beneath the Moonlit Sky

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 5

My Heart…

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“You are not to speak, write or sign a single word of what you know. I will make sure of that.” Moonbin stared at the astral projection of his father, floating between him and Hyunjoong as he spoke in a detached and distanced voice, so far from the gentle ones the real on possessed.

“All this time…why?! Why did they…?” his voice boomed at the room that held him and Hyunjoong with the astral projection.

The projection frowned with an apologetic look, so similar to the real one that he had not seen for the better part of four, almost five years. His heart clenched at the thought, and anger rose in his senses before he could rein them all in.

“You will understand. You will understand soon. I’m sorry, my Moon.”

“I’m sorry too, Moonbin.” The apology of Hyunjoong was the last one he heard before red light overtook him, making him feel like he was being burned. He remembered screaming in pain as his magical core and his voice and his consciousness started to shut down, all in the name of secrecy.

The next thing he knew, he woke up with his movement and speech restricted.

He did not sign, he did not speak, he could only see and hear.

Most of all, the Prince of Smiles could smile no longer.

And that in itself, made all the sad difference.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

His diagnosis of his impassiveness and damaged comprehension ability was something that Moonbin found himself taking advantage of.

His physician Song Qian was skilled in her task, but it seems that she has assumed him to be incapable of speech and comprehension. Speech, yes, but comprehension? Far from it. The spell went well, it seems.

The spell work of his father worked wonders to the point that it even fooled Healer Yixing of the External Order and had to agree with the Head Physician when he was called in for a second opinion. But when his Emperor father had asked if there was a way to remove it, both Qian and Yixing could not give him a definite answer. What they can assure them was that this was not just an affliction, this was a curse that had a strong intent not to harm, but to conceal.

‘Someone’ had sealed Moonbin and silenced him. They assumed that this was a better option than murdering the Grand Prince and had settled in rendering him incapable of ruling, should the line of succession change the moment Emperor Yunho changes his mind (which Moonbin doubts).

But he took it in a stride and had made a simple front for himself for the sake of his safety, and his task.

To learn the truth and to ensure that his father’s sacrifice, while taking an unexpected turn, to not go to waste.

For the sake of his family and the empire, he pretended to be in a state of passiveness, only responding in simple commands and only capable of speech to be asked to be taken to the Astral Shrine, his favorite place.

He had made the front of a cursed young man reduced to a young child’s mind, only capable of understanding direction and asking for what he wants.

The pained look on his other father, his brother, brother-in-law, friends and Dongmin was painful to him three times over, but he had to do this.

The reprieve that he has in-between all of this was his frequent trips to the Astral Shrine, where his Appa Jaejoong always took him at every full moon, to give thanks to the Moon Goddess for giving him to them. And in those nights, he prayed that the goddess herself will help him find his missing father in a way that he needs.

In the name of the empire and his family, he would do anything.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Fear was what Yunho had felt the moment he had laid eyes on his son and his amnesiac husband unconscious at the pavilion in the middle of a rainstorm after running towards it when they had noticed a vivid plum light appear.

He knew very well that the color stood for his son’s magic, as he had always done at every magic lesson he does with Kangta, his uncle Sooman’s retainer. Moonbin had always shown his love for the color to the point that Jaejoong gifted him the vivid plum brooch on his seventh birthday, the same age a year prior when he had given Jaehyun the pearl neo champagne brooch on his own birthday as well.

When Moonbin had been cursed, he had never seen the spark of the light of his son, so to see it suddenly appear at the garden pavilion, he knew that something was going on.

What was more, he didn’t even see Moonbin first before it happened. Only a frantic Jinki, Key and a gaggle of shaman trainees appeared at the porch to inform them that Moonbin had taken off on his own all of a sudden, making it unable for them, including his fiancée Dongmin to follow him wherever he had gone in the residence.

The only indicator that they have that Moonbin was nearby was through the vivid plum brooches that was on the left of the trainees, who happened to be Moonbin’s closest friends.

They managed to locate Moonbin and Jaejoong as well, but their unconscious state had sent everyone into a frenzy had it not been for Han Geng, Yamapi and Qian who calmed them all assuring them that Jaejoong and Moonbin were fine and were just unconscious due to magical exhaustion.

Now here Yunho was, an hour later, keeping watch at the two of them alongside Jaehyun, Taeyong and Taeyeon.

Taeyeon was sitting at the foot of Moonbin’s bed, while Yunho was sitting at the space between the two beds. Jaehyun and Taeyeong were near the bedroom window, watching everything unfold.

 Yunho glanced at his son and caressed his cheek, the two having been newly dried up and redressed from the downpour that is still going on. He heaved a sigh and glanced at Jaejoong’s unconscious form as well, now wondering what had transpired between the father and son for Moonbin to release such a powerful light.

“These two, I swear, they’re going to give me early grey hairs…” Yunho muttered as he looked at the two of them.

“First Jaejoong-orabeoni came back without his memories, and then Binnie decides to show a flare of magic for the first time in months…really.” Taeyeon added.

“The light that Moonbin emitted earlier…” Yunho said, gaining the attention of the people in the room. “What was it?” he said, turning to Taeyong.

Out of all the apprentice mages in the kingdom, Taeyong was one of the most skilled in the field of magic of his age group, having been studying under his uncle’s autonomous academy. His magic is quite sensitive, and is more inclined in the field of sensory and empathy magic. When melded together, he can immediately recognize a mage’s level of power and the emotions that ran through the spells and energies that they emit.

Taeyong had already felt a strong surge of magic before the light took over their attention, so there was no doubt that he knew what it meant. “There was…relief and release.” Taeyong summarized. “Whatever Moonbin had done to create that kind of strong light…he didn’t do it alone.”

“What do you mean?” Taeyeon asked.

Taeyong sighed and stood up and walked towards the foot of the two beds. He held his hand up and it emitted a white-green light. His eyes glowed neon green before a string-like stream of light started enveloping both Moonbin and Jaejoong, who were still fast asleep, showing magical cores. “The light was not Moonbin’s alone, Yunho-hyung, Taeyeon-nuna.” He told them. “Moonbin and Jaejoong-hyung’s magic resonated with each other due to their parental bond in both blood and magic through the Magical Surrogacy.” Taeyong explained.

“Magical Surrogacy is a complicated side of magic, though it looks easy to perform, the schematics and the theories behind them are complicated and we are still researching the after-effects of this type of conception, be it same- couples or a barren couple.” Taeyong continued. “It’s too early for me to deduce this, but I think that despite Jaejoong-hyung losing his memories, his magic detected the curse affecting Moonbin, and the detection was enough to warrant his magic to try to break it. It seems when Jaejoong-hyung’s magic sensed something wrong, it immediately reacted to Moonbin’s. If my theory is correct…well. Maybe Yuta can help me on this since he’s more adept in sensing magical signatures in spells and who casted them—”

Before Taeyong could even continue, another voice interrupted him.

“Taeyong-hyung, it’s too early for your magical theory lessons, isn’t it…?” All of them turned to the direction of Moonbin, who was slowly opening his eyes properly for the first time in months. “Or isn’t it too late…?”

“MOONBIN!” the ones in the room exclaimed as they saw the bright smile of the Grand Prince return.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Qian, for the second time that day, performed a full-body check-up, but this time, it was for the smiling Grand Prince Moonbin, whom she has taken care of since he was born.

“Everything seems to be fine now, since you’re grinning from ear to ear and your dimples are showing.” She and pinched one of his cheek. “But don’t you dare give the adults here a heart attack again, do you hear me?”

Moonbin just smiled and nodded. “I understand.” He then glanced at Jaejoong’s bed, which now had a barrier that would allow him not to hear the conversation outside of it in order to give him the rest he needed. ‘I’ll wait a little bit more, Appa…’ he thought.

“Where’s Eunwoo and the others?” Moonbin inquired.

“Your fellow trainees are already asleep, as well as Jaejoong-sshi’s companions, including Prince Yuta. As for the others…” Qian stood up from the bed and opened the door, showing a horde of people waiting outside. “Here.” She answered and looked back at the others, “Now, as I told you, they’re fine, Daegun is fine, and all of you, disperse for the night! For goodness sake it’s already eleven.” She chided. “Only Jeonha, Seja, Sejabin and Dongmin-sshi are allowed to enter for the night.”

Moonbin couldn’t see the correct number of people outside, but a few moments later, the people Qian had allowed to enter for the night went in, and she left soon after, leaving them alone with him.

“Binnie!” his father Yunho was the first to call him in relief. In an instant, he was engulfed in the warm and larger embrace of his other father, relishing the moment. “You are not going to leave my sight to do something dangerous ever again, do you hear me?” Yunho said as he tore away from his son to look at him again, as if making sure that the Moonbin in front of him now will no longer return to the former passive and trance-like state.

“Abeonim. Your excessive worrying will make you look older than you really are.” He teased.

“With how both you and your brothers give me stress day in day out? I will, so please, no more going behind my back for mystery solving. Please.” Yunho pleaded.

Moonbin nodded with a small smile, a bit apologetic for getting his father into a frenzy. “I’ll keep that in mind.”

“You scared us there Moonbin.” Jaehyun said with a sigh as he sat on the other side of the bed and pat his shoulder when their father retreated from the embrace.

“I’m sorry Jaehyun-hyung, Taeyong-hyung. I wanted to tell you first before I confronted Hyunjoong-sshi, but it seems that confronting him directly triggered a curse.” He muttered.

Yunho shook his head, “What happened there earlier, Binnie? When we saw the light you let out, we all panicked and saw you and Jaejoong passed out in the garden.”

Moonbin nodded. “All I can say, Abeonim, Appa was the one who helped me, but…” he glanced back at his sleeping father, “He was my key, but I am not his. At least not entirely.” He told them.  

Yunho and the others were surprised at the information. It seems that whatever explanation Taeyong was saying before Moonbin had woken up were accurate, but it was already too late in the evening, and the man was too tired to go into more detail tonight. “We’ll talk about it in the morning, alright? All of us are tired, and we want to know exactly what happened earlier that made you go back to normal.”

“Okay…” Moonbin muttered in agreement. He then scanned the room, noticing that there was someone in the room that Qian allowed but had not spoken until now. He didn’t stop until he saw a figure right behind Taeyong who was standing near the door, looking at Moonbin and his family with a small smile, but his eyes said otherwise.

Glancing at his father and brothers, he spoke, “Can we have a little privacy?” he asked the three of them while his eyes never left the figure by the door.

Three pairs of eyes followed the direction of Moonbin’s stare, only to smile and nod in understanding upon seeing Lee Dongmin standing awkwardly at the family scene.

“Alright, but after this, rest up a bit more, okay?” Yunho said as he kissed his forehead one last time before leading the other two to exit the room, but not before nodding at Dongmin and smiling at him, encouraging him to go near Moonbin once they leave the room.

Once they knew they were alone, Moonbin spoke again. “Aren’t you going to get closer, Eunwoo?”

Dongmin huffed as he went close to Moonbin’s bed and sat down at the edge. “Must you always use that name?”

“It’s the name I knew you first, when you were still posing as a Gisaeng’s son.” He pointed out as he held his hand gently. “And you know how precious those times were.”

The other teen huffed and squeezed the hand that held his. “That aside…how could you do this to me?” he muttered and looked straight into his eyes, “How could you hide this from all of us and risked yourself in getting cursed? Do you have any idea how…?”

Tears were starting to come out of his eyes, and Moonbin could only frown apologetically, “I’m sorry…I had no time. I wanted to tell you, but the trap curse was a shock to me too.” He explained as he glanced at his sleeping father.

But it seems that while Moonbin didn’t want him to start crying, Dongmin had beat him to it and tears rolled down from his eyes to his cheeks. “When I saw you in that state…you were not responding to any of us even if you were awake…I thought…I thought we all lost you that day…”

“Dongmin-ah, please, don’t cry for my sake. I’m the idiot here.” Moonbin tried to soothe him.

“Damn right you are.” Dongmin said, trying to stop his tears, “Even Myungjun-hyung and Jinwoo-hyung wanted to give you a piece of their mind. Don’t think you will get away from this, do you hear me?” he told him with conviction.

Moonbin laughed and nodded. “I hear you. Loud and clear.”

It took a few minutes of consoling, but Dongmin had managed to dry his eyes and just held Moonbin’s hand and entwined his, as if fearful that he will go back in his cursed state.

“So…are you going to tell me what happened when you confronted the former Imperial Mage?” Dongmin started to ask.

“Someone made the trap so specific that…I know something else is up aside from what we had known for the past few months…” he muttered.

“You think that something was set up?” Dongmin asked him.

“I don’t think. I know.” Moonbin stressed, eyes hardening at the thought. Dongmin could feel the tension in his body by the stiffening of the hand that held his.

“So…what now?” Dongmin asked. “You’ve been praying at the Astral Shrine the entire time you were cursed, and I can tell that you know something that you prefer not to tell. At least for now.” he has learned over time to read Moonbin that it felt natural to Dongmin, but it was still up to the other boy if he will tell him what he had on his mind, especially when it concerns the Imperial Consort.

All he got was a sigh from Moonbin and an apologetic look. “We wait. That’s all we can do for now.” Moonbin advised, remembering the words of his father. He needs to wait just a little bit longer. His father was not unsealed yet, and the brief return of his memories was just there to assure him that everything will be over soon.

Soon, but not too soon.

He has waited five years, he can wait a few hours or days more.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

In the morning, Jaejoong did not wake.

It worried everyone that even after hours of rest, Jaejoong had not shown any sign of waking, all but Moonbin. Many tried to ask him what happened, and the Grand Prince was willing to tell, but not now. They were wondering what was causing him not to speak up, but Dongmin had told them that Moonbin needed time to collect himself as well, for he was piecing together what had happened while he was cursed.

Yuta though, thinks that it was understandable why he was not waking up yet.

“Do you mind explaining why?” Jaehyun asked him while they were at the library, the adults were nowhere to be seen, having been gathered to the meeting room in the private residence while bringing Moonbin along. Yuta was with Jaehyun and Taeyong, while the shaman trainees were outside, having been ordered by Junsu to wait for an incoming ‘gaggle of sorcerers’ as he had put it.

“The easiest way for a curse to be removed is if the caster removes it himself, or if a blood relative with strong magic forces it off the victim. Looks to me that Jae-sensei did the latter, but it comes at a high price, and would render the caster weakened depending on the strength and complexity of the curse.” Yuta sighed and waved his hand, pushing his magic to show his magical signature to them, “Unlike you, Taeyong, I’m more adept in recognizing magical signatures.” He started. “The moment I saw your brother, newly free from his curse, I can tell that there is a lingering magical signature in it, and I am pretty sure that it’s Jae-sensei’s, and it’s not just because they are tied magically because of the surrogacy. He used his magic to free him from the curse. He’s just recovering from the toll. Not to worry.”

From the relieved looks that the couple was sporting, Yuta knew that they were not in the know on some things.

He didn’t tell them that he sensed Jaejoong’s magical signature in the curse as well, but it was a curse not to harm, but to temporarily silence the target.

Whatever his tutor did five years ago he had done it as complex as he could to get the results that he needed. After all, he had been taught the same way for the past five years.

“Remember this, Yuta, no matter how peaceful your days may be and carrying out your duties like the dutiful son and Crown Prince you are, there will always be someone there who will do anything just to see you fall. And with that in mind, you should keep your wits about you and make sure that you are five steps ahead of them. That is the only way for you to ensure the safety of your family and the Crown.”

Those were the words that Yuta had carried with him ever since the attempt of his life when he was twelve. When his so-called only friend had betrayed him when he chose his family’s quest for power.

Had it not been for his tutor’s quick thinking and the imperial staff working with him to ensure his assailants would not get out he would have been dead already. It would show that the empire was weak enough for their only prince to be killed by mere assassins, and would eventually be taken advantage of by the nobles.

Yuta was not so naïve to think that everyone was happy that he was the Crown Prince. There was always someone waiting for him to fall. Permanently. And the Imperial Court of Korea was no different, but he had to admit, those who tried to kill Jaejoong had guts to touch the Imperial Consort. They tend to forget that the title had the powers of its more used counterpart, the Empress.

If there was something up, then it means that Jaejoong had a hand in almost everything. He had been five steps ahead of his opponents. At least, until something happened for his memory to be lost.

Yuta knew that everything was an elaborate trap. A trap well-crafted and kept from everyone so that he could freely walk into the enemy’s trap when he was attacked five years ago.

But for who?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Kwon Gwi-in, mostly (and preferably) known as General Kwon, stared at the orb in front of her showing the face of the Emperor himself, all the while, reading the decree that was handed to him by Jungsoo and Yesung in her office a few minutes ago.

She was not someone who was easily shaken, so being told to do something like what the Emperor Yunho was asking her now was too much for her mind to take. For the longest time, Yunho was known to be someone who was fair but gentle, never harsh, but still would make sure that the guilty would get their due.

Even when he was against people scrutinizing him for his marriage, heir and harem choices, he never wavered from the image of a gentle ruler who is not afraid to speak his mind while subtly offending those he deems as his enemies.  Even to those who tried to kill him during his time as the Crown Prince, he always showed mercy and would not resort to execution if he could do something about it.

She had never thought she would see the day that he would issue a decree that would take his words and the law as far as it could go.

“Jeonha. You really are serious about this decree?” she asked the man in the orb, as if expecting him to shake his head and smile, only to say that it was a joke.

“It’s as I had ordered, General Kwon.” Yunho replied as he nodded in confirmation. “The order will be effective as soon as possible. Make sure they don’t get to leave their residence until you and your troops arrive. Taeyeon had already notified Yuri and Seohyun who are in the area to assist.” He told him. “Joohyun had also lent us Yeri’s assistance.”

He was serious if he would allow his sisters and a high ranking official of the Ministry of Justice to assist in this operation. General Kwon had no choice but to obey, but she had to admit, it was something that she had been waiting for since Jaejoong disappeared.

Revenge.

“If that is so, Jeonha, I am more than happy to carry out this decree as soon as I have my troops ready.” She said with a familiar glint in her eyes that Yunho always found to be scary when he is a target of it.

“Then I leave everything about it to you, General Kwon.”

The voice of her godson was heard on the other side, and General Kwon couldn’t help but to smile at the young man who was right beside his father in all his healthy princely glory. She was doing an inspection at the sea borders when news that he was cursed reached her, and she took pleasure in escorting the traitorous Hyunjoong during the Gathering at The Hague. Best friend or not, he had a hand in their best friend going missing, and harming her godson. She was more than relieved to know that her best friend was alive and that her godson was already recovered.

If only she could say the same to her best friend who was still asleep for some reason. She couldn’t wait to give him a smack on the head as he had done with Hyungjoong five years before.

“Daegun. It brings me joy to see you fully conscious.” General Kwon said with a short curtsey. “I have also to inform you that the External Order is on their way to your private residence. We coincidentally met on our way back here at the main palace.” She informed.

The Emperor nodded in approval. “Then I leave all matters in the palace to you, Kwon Gwi-in. No worries, Jungsoo and the rest of his Order will make sure the main palace stays standing while we are gone.”

The woman had to scrunch her nose at the mention of her official and higher title. “You know I do not approve of being called like that. Even my attendants call me General.”

With a teasing smile, Yunho replied, “You may be my Concubine in name only, but you are the next in-command while I am not there and the Imperial Consort is indisposed. There’s no way to escape that.” He explained. “After all, Jaejoong trusts you with all he has.”

She groaned at the thought, “The two of you always pull the best friend card on me it’s getting upsetting, Jeonha.” She complained, but there was no malice in it.”

“I can pull the godson card if you want.” Moonbin cheekily suggested.

General Kwon had no restraint in her laugh when she heard her godson speak that way after so many months of worrying and watching him while he was cursed. “You’re lucky I adore you, Daegun.” She replied. “Well then, I’d best be off.” She bid and saluted before the connection has been cut, leaving her alone in her office.

The perpetrators will be getting their most severe due, and she was lucky to be a part of it.

‘And soon enough, everything will be back in its rightful place.’

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

When the conference with General Kwon ended, Moonbin had to heave a sigh to let out the tension in his body.

He had spent the last few hours since his awakening getting his thoughts and information together that he has accumulated for the past few months so that everything will be solved for good.

He might have been cursed and had lost is consciousness, but he never lost his hearing and his comprehension. He was just not able to speak or communicate to other people about what he knew.

He was surprised how much people spill when they think no one was listening or understanding them.

And that was when everything clicked to him on the day his own father cursed him.

Jaejoong didn’t curse him just to keep quiet. He cursed him to keep quiet and to make the target confess. In front of him.

And what better statement to make them fall than the words of the person with the perpetrator in the room with them?

His heart almost clenched as he weaved through what he had learned and what has been happening while he was gone. He wanted nothing more but to avenge his father, who had now lost his memories because of all the background scheming and him allowing it.

Moonbin was a very forgiving person like Yunho, but even the most forgiving person has limits. And they had just reached his.

He thought that his surrogate mother daring to get rid of Dongmin in his life was the greatest betrayal that he will never forgive, but knowing now what happened to his other father, it was now a close second.

Moonbin will never forgive those who would even dare harm his family.

“Binnie?” Moobin was taken out of his reverie when his name was called, and every adult in the room, even their guests from Japan, were looking at him with concerned eyes.

“Are you alright, Binnie?” Moonbin felt Yunho’s large hand on the top of his head, looking at him with a worried look. Ever since he woke up, the Emperor has never left his eyes on him, as if he was dreaming or afraid that he would go back to his cursed state. He couldn’t blame him at all.

Back when he was cursed, his father would visit him every day, after the daily duties he had have been carried out. He would tell him what has been happening in the outside each day, and would read the letters that Jaehyun and Taeyong would send while they were at NCT and put in his own commentary, sometimes taking note to scold Jaehyun for some shenanigans he had been up to while at boarding school.

It was as if Yunho was trying to make sure that he was not going to lose another family member after Jaejoong went missing. Everyone knew how much of an impact it was to him when he disappeared. It was like the light in his eyes had died, and no amount of effort even from his sons could revive such spark.

Yoochun, Junsu and Changmin had said before that Jaejoong was Yunho’s everything, the love of his life that he will never ever replace in his heart. It was the sort of love that he and Jaehyun wished for themselves as well, the kind of devotion and faith that no one was strong enough to destroy.

Except, perhaps, Death and Memory.

Shaking his head and smiling slightly, he assured him, “I’m fine Abeonim. It’s just…” he heaved a heavy sigh. “I can’t believe after everything…they would really dare do this…” he answered.

“Everything will be fine now after this.” Yoochun assured him.

“But what about Appa?” Moonbin asked them.

He had not confessed yet to everyone about what happened on that day, when he was cursed when he confronted Hyunjoong after finding out that something did not add up to what happened. About the disappearance of his father to the origin of the attacks, and the statements of the crew that was with him.

The crew had said that Jaejoong looked calm, probably to not alarm the crew more than they already were, pinned to the deck by the attacker in disguise. Which could mean that somehow, his father had expected it.

Everything was planned to the letter by none other than Jaejoong. It was obvious enough with how Hyunjoong tried to explain things to him months ago.

His father would be the one to explain everything once he gets his memories back.

Jaejoong had sacrificed himself for the empire once again—though Moonbin didn’t know the specifics of the first time he did it.

But all he told them for now was that he walked into a trap that was orchestrated by someone they never expected to instigate.

And his father, Yoochun, Junsu and Changmin could only grimace knowing that it was just like him to be like that, but it hurt them that the price he had to pay was his life in Korea.

That in itself, was painful to Yunho.

“Well, he was the one who cured you, and from what I can see, he paid a heavy price for it by his own magical reserves.” Junsu stated. “If anything, all we can do for now is to wait for him to wake up, see if there will be any difference from before the two of you met again.”

Moonbin didn’t also disclose that it was Jaejoong who cursed him, and it was better that way. It would just confuse them if he was the one to tell them.

His Appa has a lot of explaining to do after this.

“Yes…” Moonbin replied meekly. Then he looked at his father, “Abeonim…what will happen to Aunt Soojung?”

His father’s face darkened and sighed. “Depending on what she reveals, she will receive punishment according to her crimes.” He told him.

The boy’s head went downcast, “If it matters, she took great care of me while I was cursed. I hope she is not as involved in this as the others…”

“We will see.” Yunho told him, but the others in the room, especially Changmin, knew that Yunho will never pull his punches.

Not this time.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Wu Yifan and the rest of the External Order were giddy when they arrived at the private residence. They had not seen their Jaejoong-sahyung in five years, some of them longer, and the fact that he has been found had been a miracle.

When Yifan had heard from Junmyeon that Jaejoong was attacked by an unknown person (who turned out to be their Imperial Mage Hyunjoong), the Emperor ordered the External Order to scatter to find Jaejoong, but to no avail.

Only during their conference with Junmyeon a few days ago did they find out that he has been found in the most unexpected place: the Secluded Empire, Japan.

The country was the last thing that ran through their minds when looking for the Imperial Consort. Having had ended two seclusions after the Westerners attempted to conform them to their trading and political agendas, the Meiji Era was ended with the Nakamoto Era and had brought the country back into seclusion. No one was allowed to go out or enter Japan, until Empress Unmei made a partial lift for trading and for their countrymen overseas to return only. No foreigner is ever allowed to sequester themselves into the imperial court if they could help it, and those who are associated with said foreigners are thoroughly investigated to ensure that the customs of Japan were followed and that none of their ‘outsider influence’ ever seeps through.

Which brought them to wonder what happened and how Jaejoong had suddenly turned up in Japan and to go as far as to be the royal tutor of the Crown Prince Yuta. Empress Unmei was a very strict and no-nonsense woman. That was how she managed to sit on the Chrysanthemum throne and convinced her people to follow her in developing the country while maintaining their customs.

To employ the services of a foreigner to shape the mind of the future of Japan, Jaejoong must have done something impressive in the eyes of the Empress.

Now that they were briefed by Junmyeon of the reason why he had been hidden in Japan for the past five years…

 “Yifan, are you listening?” The man was shaken out of his thoughts at the voice of Junmyeon.

“Sorry. I was too lost in thoughts about what has happened since we were gone.” He apologized as he looked at the rest of the members of the External Order. They had just found out from Junmyeon that while the Imperial Consort had been found, the said man did not come in with his memories. Someone had sealed his memories to the point that no one could even decipher how to unseal it. Even the Imperial Shaman Junsu couldn’t do it, from what they had found out the day before.

“To think that someone would dare attack Jaejoong-sahyung like that and to wipe out his memories. They are really trying their best in eliminating all traces of the Kim Clan’s influence.” Jongin muttered as they trudged their horses on the concealed path that would lead them to the Emperor’s private residence.

“They’re more likely to eliminate all possibilities of Seja-jeoha losing his status as the Crown Prince. But I am wondering why General Kwon looked so pleased after she received Jeonha’s decree?” Baekyun wondered.

Luhan chuckled, “Nothing would be a greater pleasure than to enact legal revenge in the name of one’s best friend I guess.” He told them.

“I know I would, after all that has been happening since he left.” Kyungsoo agreed. “Some ministers urging His Majesty to appoint a new Empress or Imperial Consort, the issue with Daegun’s engagement, his attack and curse, even Seja-jeoha’s choice of consort.”

Jongdae hummed. “A lot are voicing their concerns that the consorts chosen by the princes are from one family lineage, and the Go Clan are especially vocal about it.”

“Is it really the royal family’s fault that the princes are both looking for beauty and even more brains to be their consorts?” Minseok wondered out loud. “I mean, if you look at Jaejoong-sahyung, he has both of them in spades, and what’s more he is one of the key players in the ascendance of Jeonha to the throne.”

“I wouldn’t blame them for their high standards with him as a parent.” Zitao agreed with him. “But Yixing-ge, are you sure that you have a way for Jaejoong-sahyung to break through his seal?”

Yixing sighed, “Well, I’m not sure what I can do, but I can at least try, right?” he replied. “Besides, I need to check in on Daegun once I see him. Head Physician Qian might have given him the clear physical-wise, but I am not sure that he is fine magic-wise, especially if his magic reserves has been suppressed for that long.”

Sehun grumbled at the thoutght. “They got too lax when they thought that they have gotten rid of Jaejoong-sahyung. Now that he’s back, I wonder what his attackers will think.”

“Jeonha will have them thrown in prison before they could all regroup, I bet.” Chanyeol told him.

From the corner of his eyes, he saw some blobs in the distance. When he looked forward to where they are going, he saw five teenagers in purple waiting at the gates. “Oh, it’s the Star boys!”

“Then that means Daegun is here already.” Junmyeon said as they all reined their horses to a sprint to hasten their travel.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Han Geng sighed as he strolled through the residence grounds, thinking about the past twenty-four hours since he had brought his adoptive brother back to his home country.

The people were very welcoming and polite, but Han Geng could still not get used to the fact that Jaejoong was royalty of all things.

He thought he had cut off all means of involvement when it comes to the nobilities, but it seems that fate was being the mischievous goddess and had made it so he would meet Jaejoong and be close enough to adopt him as a part of his family. Don’t get him wrong, he did not regret adopting Jaejoong. He was the nicest soul that he has ever seen, since Yamapi has a sadistic side in him to even be considered nice, and most of all, he was an easy person to like and love.

When he tried to find out his identity, it was because he couldn’t bear to hear from Yamapi on his updates that Jaejoong was still having that recurring nightmare of the night he lost his memories. It pained him to see Jaejoong declare that all he wanted to do was to live a happy and peaceful life moving forward, but his eyes betray his words. No matter how much Jaejoong had denied it, he is inwardly longing to find out who he was. His magic manipulating his dreams was saying so.

He didn’t want to sound intrusive, but he and Yamapi had once snuck in Jaejoong’s quarters on one of Japan’s particularly harsh rainstorms at night, and at that time, Jaejoong was ill and had the recurring dream haunting him that night.

When Yamapi had used his mind magic to see what was going on, they found out that the one causing the dreams was his magic acting up, trying to make him remember something, and the vice that it was using was the last night he knew who he was.

It was as if his magic was not giving up in regaining his identity.

Yamapi had jokingly told him that he was a nobility magnet, judging by the fact that before he was a merchant, he was serving in the Imperial Court in China, and now, he adopted the Imperial Consort of Korea. Han Geng didn’t find him funny at that time.

As he took his walk further to the front gates, he saw the five teenagers that came with the Grand Prince. It seems that they were ordered to do something by Junsu earlier. He wanted to just pass by unnoticed, but one of the trainees, Minhyuk had seen him almost immediately.

“Oh, Han Geng-sshi.” Minhyuk greeted and bowed slightly, and he was followed by the others.

Han Geng had no choice but to approach the trainees. When Shaman trainees are taken into the palace, they are usually grouped together in certain numbers, and for this particular brood, they were chosen as a group for the bond that they had shared during their younger years when they are still preparing for their paths to become part of the Imperial Star Mansion, which is a sister branch of the Imperial Mage Office.

“Still no sign of the ones you are expecting?” he asked them.

“I can see them from the distance,” the tallest of them, a young man named Yoon Sanha, said as he saw his eyes glow gold with his pupils turning to slits, as if replicating an eagle’s eyes. A second later, he blinked and his eyes turned back to normal. “Five minutes since they have the horses galloping.”

“Oh. And they are Jaejoong’s…students?” he wondered.

Jinwoo, the leader of the group, nodded. “Technically they’re his underclassmen. He trained them when they were newly minted mages assigned to the royal palace straight out of the academy.”

“You can say that they’re quite attached to Jungjeon-mama.” Dongmin told him. “They call him Jaejoong-sahyung, as they were under one teacher during their time at the academy.”

Myungjun nodded, “That’s why when they heard that Jungjeon-mama is back, all of them came running from wherever they are. Even the ones patrolling in the Chinese borders were ordered back by Jeonha.”

“I see.” Han Geng could only nod as they heard the galloping horses arrive at the gates.

Han Geng had to do a double take at the scene that unfold.

Twelve young men dismounted their horses, all clothed in pearl or beige-like robes of palace officials. All of them wore the same color-schemed brooch that he had seen being worn by most of the people he had seen since arriving in Korea.  

All of them are the people who only answers to the Emperor himself. And from the looks of it, he was looking at the twelve members of the External Order, the order of mages scattered across the empire and in other countries in search for answers of knowledge, and when it comes to it, solving a cold case, such as the Imperial Consort’s disappearance.

Now that he has been found, they had all been recalled in hopes in helping Jaejoong recover his memories, or break his seal.

He was looking at the young men as they dismounted the horses, when a particular face struck familiarity in him that he had to stare at the young man far longer than any of them.

Yifan had just dismounted his horse and helped Zitao to dismount his, when he felt eyes on him.

Turning to the direction of the stare, he saw a man a few years older than him, staring at him with shock as well.

“S-Shifu?!” Yifan stuttered in shock. In an instant, Yifan took himself out of his shock, let go of his hold on Zitao’s hand and made a bowing gesture that they were not familiar of, “Han-shifu. It’s been a while.” 

Han Geng gaped the moment that address left his lips, confirming his suspicions. When he gathered his wits about him though, he smiled. “Have you been doing well, Fourth Prince Jiaheng?” he called out.

Junmyeon was completely confused, as were the others, when the two spoke.

“I’m known as Wu Yifan now, Shifu.” Yifan said as he got out of his bowing stance and stood straight in front of him. “May I ask…why are you in this country? I thought you were traveling now as a merchant, the last time I heard from the others.”

“Ah, yes,” Han Geng said as he looked at the rest of the order, “I am here because, for some twisted tricks of fate, I had adopted your Imperial Consort as my younger brother for the past five years.”

“Pardon?” Yifan asked, not really believing what he heard.

Han Geng sighed as he shook his head, preparing himself for another explanation. “There will be time for that later, but for now, I trust you all want to see if you can help in rousing my younger brother and breaking his seal?”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Jaejoong was lost. He didn’t know where he was after the light had engulfed him and Moonbin. All he could remember was smiling at the young man and everything went black.

The next thing he knew, he was in a secluded place in the middle of a beautiful small garden, complete with a lake and a red square pavilion overlooking the moon. To his side was a small but luxurious house that seemed to have been kept in good condition over the years.

He found himself standing in the middle of well-kept personal garden full of flowers associated with the Moon Goddess, such as moonflowers, white roses, night-blooming cereus, daturas and many more.

All of them are very familiar.

Which was strange, since he had never been in this place before in his life.

“I see you have managed to go further here.”

Jaejoong turned to see an astral projection of himself, only, he was not wearing his usual yukata that he had brought to Korea. Rather, he was wearing the dalryeongpo that looked exactly like the tattered ones that he had, complete with the proper headdress and footwear.

In front of him was the Imperial Consort, Kim Jaejoong of the Gongju Kim Clan. A man that was heralded to be as talented as he was beautiful, his astral projection stood in front of him with a serene smile so similar to what he had seen in Moonbin just moments before he out.

“What are you…?”

The astral projection Jaejoong simply chuckled. “I am you, at least, the you that you had made before all this happened.” It explained.

Jaejoong knew that magic was broad, but for him to create such a projection that came from his own magical signature…it was amazing, no doubt.

“Where are we?” he wondered out loud as he looked at the place. It was nothing like the private palace, but he could tell that it was still in the country though.

“This is the location of your Soul, Jaejoong.” It explained. “This is where you will get all your answers, the answers that you have been seeking for the past five years.” It hinted.

Jaejoong was wondering what kind of answers he was talking about. Whether it was his identity, or what had happened that led to him being attacked five years ago, and the culprit who cursed Moonbin.

The one who cursed Moonbin…

Jaejoong snapped his head to look at his projection, “Tell me. When Moonbin was cursed…did I…?”

“Have anything to do with it?” the projection finished for him. “My answer is yes, but not exactly.” It said. “You will know more, once you find this place.”

That got Jaejoong to remember that the last time he was conscious, he was at the private residence. “Earlier…what happened?”

The projection merely smiled and shook his head. “You removed Moonbin’s curse and he removed a part of your seal in turn, as his Heart.” It replied. “Now, you need your Soul to complete the removal. Do you get me so far?”

“I’m not sure…” Jaejoong replied automatically, because honestly, he doesn’t know what he’s doing and what he needs to do next.

“That’s fine. Jiji will show you the way here.”

“Jiji? Here? But aren’t I here already?” Jaejoong asked his astral projection.

The projection chuckled, as if expecting this kind of question. “Well, in your dreamscape, we are here, but this is just a message set up by you, in case you need directions.” It replied. “Now that Moonbin is free, it’s time for you to be too. When you get there, just wander around.”

As soon as it finished speaking, the projection was starting to fade, until he could only hear his final advice.

“She’s waiting for you to wake up.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Jaejoong’s eyes snapped open the moment those last words were uttered by his astral projection.

“Jiji? Who’s that?” Jaejoong wondered as he sat up, only to realize that he was no longer outside, but in a bedroom with twin beds, and his clothes were changed into one of his every day yukatas that either Han Geng or Yamapi might have picked out during the changing.

He looked around to realize that he was alone, and the bed across from him was already made. A glance at the window showed that it was late in the afternoon, making him wonder how long he had been asleep since his encounter with the Grand Prince.

But for now, he had some pressing matters to go into. His projection said that someone named Jiji will be waiting for him to guide him to that place, but he hasn’t met anyone named Jiji yet since he arrived.

“Who…who’s Jiji…?” Jaejoong wondered.

Meow.

Jaejoong was startled when he glanced to the foot of the bed to see an adult female Russian Blue cat staring at him as if she was offended that he didn’t notice her.

Suddenly, Jaejoong remembered that aside from Koko and Nene, he had a cat that he had left behind here in Korea, a Russian Blue cat that was gifted to him. Her name was…

“Oh, Jiji?” Jaejoong spoke her name.

The cat meowed again and stood up on all fours, satisfied that he had recognized her. She jumped down the bed gracefully and he watched her to go the door. She looked her straight in the eye, as if saying, “Now that you’re awake, follow me.”

Instinctively, Jaejoong followed her through the door, the maze-like corridor, until it led him to a small path at the end of the northern part of the gardens, and from there, Jiji led her to a secret path in the thick bushes and trees, until he saw a trail so familiar, it felt like Jaejoong was back in his mindscape.

The path that he was on had two red lamp pillars at either side of the worn path, but this time, the lamps were lit with a soft pearl red hue, and when Jiji passed them, the pillars emitted  a steady ray of red light, affecting the small lamps at the branches of the trees ahead, leading him on to proceed.

On normal days, Jaejoong would have stopped himself and called for assistance if such a thing were to happen, but at this point, any thoughts of that never came in his mind.

As if fueled by the gesture of Jiji, who meowed at him for his slowness, Jaejoong took a step forward, past the pillars and into the woods, lit only by the path of red lamps in the dark path.

 *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

A few minutes later, everyone in the private residence ran like headless chickens.

They could not find Jaejoong anywhere.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

To Be Continued