Yearning

Through Their Lenses

South Korea, 2018


He dragged the wooden chair in front of the monitor. There were hostages who had their hands tied with the rope with the blood on their faces after got beaten by his men. The pretty police on the monitor was looking at him with her red eyes which actually seemed to be holding her tears because of her senior was one of the hostages. He sat on the chair to continue their so-called negotiation.

“ Ha Chae Yoon-ssi, look right at me.” He talked to the monitor firmly.. 

“ Ne..”

“ If we want to develop a good relation, we should be honest to each other right?” he asked with a small chuckled. 

“ Of course ..” she said without doubt. 

“ So can you tell me who are with you today?” he asked her the question which he actually had known even she didn’t answer. He just tested her in case he was able to trust her because of his enemy might be controlled her. She named all the person on the room and he predicted that she would miss some names which actually he knew it. “who are with you today?” His voice tone rose.

“ Ne??” she was taken a back by his question.


“ Ani...Let’s eat!” He changed the topic and put a smile that showed his dimples. “Do you want to say hello to your senior?” he took the camera and gave Ha Chae Yoon chance to talk with his senior. They talked to make sure the hostage were okay and the negotiation would be done as usual. “ Okay... Ha Chae Yoon-sii.. the important thing is to be honest right? Let’s meet up after a meal!” he turned off the camera and the negotiation via monitors was delayed.


“CUT!!” The director on each sides stopped the shooting process. 


“Okay Hyunbin-ssi, lets go for monitoring!” the director turned his back to him. 


He took the footage on the basement floor which was the perfect one to used as the hostage-taker location for the movie, while his co-star Son Yejin was on the higher floor that packed with modern technologies to represent the police intelligence service.


“ Nee...” Hyunbin answered.

----‐------------------ 

“ ahhh...here is heaven, heaven!” he mumbled sarcastically the time he reached the location while Yejin was chuckling at him. He took a seat beside her and get a tap from her. 


“Mwoya?? You are the hostage-taker. Why became such a spoiled brat?” she bickered make him laughing out loud.  He was never be so this open to anyone even to his previous co-stars. 


“ Shut up! Stop annoying me!” He replied harshly. Of course, it was nothing because they were close friend and it was just their kind of joking.

 
Suddenly, the monitor showed their footage and they put their focus on the monitor. They shared their opinion to each other even they were doing with some sarcasms or jokes. The shooting location was brighter enough with their appearances. 


They took some footages again, before the director decided to end the shooting process. 


“Sugohassyeossoyo!” the word signed the end of the shooting process of the day. 

--‐------------

The shooting process took months to an end. It took times on editing and re-doing the action scenes also the negotiation process via monitor. The scenes itself were difficult because the main actors didn’t meet in person. It took times while monitoring which the male lead should go  up and down which wasted most of the time, also the substitution of some supporting cast which need a re-doing some scenes.


After a long tiring shoot for the last re-doing scene, Son Yejin went to get a massage before going for home. The filming process finally came to end. She took times to get her massage and spa done after the exhausting job.


“Yah..oppa . I  want to take a rest for whole day tomorrow. Don’t even try to call me! I won’t answer!” she said sincerely with a grin on the end. She sat on passenger seat behind and took a mirror to make sure she was pretty enough after massage.


“Arrasseo..! I won’t!” her manager said while driving her car. “Yah Yejin-ah, for your new movie, what would you do to your hair? They need your long hair.” Yejin had cut her long hair just for the negotiation movie, so her manager was extremely in worry, especially her manager was a man which would never know the extension treatment for woman. 


“ ehhmmm... I need a break for tomorrow. So, how about Wednesday oppa? I am very tired to death right now.” She overreacted her reaction to get his permission. She just need a me time for herself to rest her body on her bed. 


“Anii....what would you do to your hair?” he burst out his curiosity.

 
“Hair extension.” She flipped her hair with her hand and chuckled.


“Okey, the day after tomorrow. I will call you no matter what. Don’t you ever hung up your phone arraseo?” he convinced her, she must picked up his call no matter what. The distance of massage’s location and her apartment was not far away and he stopped the car in front of her apartment after passing two traffic jams.


“Bye oppa! See you the day after tomorrow” with the speed of light, she get off from the car. 


“Be careful yejin-ah.” He waved his hand. 


Yejin walked toward her apartment door and in sudden  she saw a familiar gesture stood up in front of the door with a plastic bag on his hand. 


“Mwoya..?? Bin-ssi quickly come inside!” She opened the door in hurry and pushed him to come inside her apartment. She peek outside to make sure no one in front of her apartment that might be a paparazzi. She locked the door after knowing no one outside and let out a sigh. “ Yah mwoya?? Why don’t you call me?” she smacked him. He lifted up the plastic bag and put his dimples on while smiling.


“ Let’s drink together!” He asked her without hesitation. Yejin grabbed the plastic bag and lead the way to her apartment. “Why took so long to get you home?” he sneered at her.  


“ I went to get a massage. I am very tired to death. Where do you want to sit? Cabinet or the living room?” she kept talking without she realized, he had thrown himself on the carpet. He stretched his legs and his back leaned on the sofa. “ I shouldn’t ask you such a question right!” she giggled. “ why are you drinking on my home this late night Bin-ssi?” she asked him while preparing the tteokbokki and beers he brought.  


“The destiny we talked 12 years a go.” His voice turned serious in sudden making her stepped a back moreover after seeing the red box she had been known for years he took from his pocket.

---------------------


Years a go....

 
2004


Yejin’s movie was premiering and Hyunbin attended for the VIP audience. It was not because of he was Yejin’s friend, but he was closed with Jung Woo Sung so that he got the VIP invitation on the premier of  A Moment to Remember. The movie did success and the room crowded with applauses after the movie end. The heart breaking and melodramatic movie had successfully tore the audience’s hearts and brought them into unstoppable tears, but Hyunbin eyes couldn’t avert his gaze from lead female who was sitting beside Jung Woo Sung.


The main leads then gave some speech and did some Q & A session. Hyunbin loved her on the first sight. He even asked Yejin’s number from Jung Woosung and attended the premier in case that Yejin would have seen him. Fortunately, Jung Woosung introduced him to Yejin when the premier ended so they recognized each other as the rookies back then. She smiled so brightly to him and gave him a spirit and gave him a support because they were standing in a same boat. He smiled for her cuteness she showed for someone who just get to know her. She was the real easy-going artist he ever met. 


Their relation grew closer after the premier. He became her closest friend and the first place she want to talk with. They spent time together as best friend. They often shared their worst time in the entertainment industry and talk together about how to survive when they were feeling down. They shared their dream, their future they want and the plans that they want to do out of acting.


2006


He waited her on her apartment for hours with red box filled with couple rings on his pocket. He decided to confess his feeling to her. He wanted to bring their relation a step forward. He also brought her favourites which were some beers and tteokbokki. Suddenly, a car came and a woman get off from the car. The girl who made his smile even wider. The car left her and she happily walked toward him made his heart beat even louder. She looked surprised which immediately made her asked him, “ Why don’t you tell me that you will be here?” She opened the door in hurry and push him to come inside her apartment. She peek outside to make sure no one in front of her apartment that might be a paparazzi. She locked the door after knowing no one outside and let out a sigh.


“Let’s sit Bin-ssi!” he sat on the living room with his back lean on the sofa like he always did. She put the tteokbokki and beers on the tray and joined Hyunbin to sit beside him. She handed him a chopstick and she ate the tteokbokki first. 


“Why are you coming for this late night Bin-ssi. Don’t you have work tomorrow?” she asked while munching the rice cake. Hyunbin grabbed a can of beer and opened it. He took some gulps of beer to overcome his nervousness. “Slowly Bin-ssi..No one will catch you?” she said worriedly while looking at him. He took a last sip from the can and put it back on the table. He frowned a bit and let out a sigh.


“Yejin-ssi. Can I talk something serious with you?” he faced her right eye to eye that made her nervous. She took a sip of beer and tried to diverted from his gaze. 


“Why out of nowhere? Say it! Bin-ssi..” she stuttered her words.


“Let’s go on a date!” her chopstick fell from her hand and she coughed in surprise. He took something  red on his pocket and make sure it was opened then he put it on the table. His heart beat pumped even stronger that make him took a can of beer again and drank it in one shot. 


“Bin-ssi..” she was taken a back by his proposal. She bit her lower lip and lost her mind for a while. Her mind recalled their memories together, it tickled her heart and made her deep in thought once again.


The silent remained long after she called his name. She saw two rings in different size with a petite diamond on the smaller ring. She mesmerized the rings also the person beside her. She didn’t imagine it would came to her very soon.  They had so many goals that they want to pursue, she just couldn’t imagine what would it be if they were dating. She scared that they would destroy their dream they’ve built. She closed the red box and pushed it toward him. 


He was surprised by her action. He felt his heart was weighted with a ton of bricks.


“Am I rejected?” he chuckled and gulped a can of beer in front of him. 

“I am not.. I think ....” she stuttered on her words. 


“So..?” he asked her right in front of her face. She took a deep breath and tried to give an explanation. 


“We are still new comer in this industry. I need times to develop my career as an artist. I think you will understand this. I won’t make a scandal which can overcome our career as artists. We don’t know what would happen if somebody knows that we are dating... as if it will end our career or increasing our popularity, but if we are popular because of the scandal I thought that we’re not good enough in this industry.” She sincerely said to him. 


“Good reason to reject me Yejin-ah..” he almost finished his 4th can of beer. 


“Bin-ssi..” she tried to hold his hand but he rejected her. 


“How if we can go through all those ‘obstacles that you expected to be’ together?” he burst his last words to convince her.


“ Bin-ssi, do you believe on destiny?” she held his hand and made him facing her. “ when we’ve reached our goals, when you’ve got all of your goals settled and when we meet again in the future? Let’s talk about it again, ne!” he squeezed an empty can and put-almost-throw it on the table. His hand grabbed her cheek fast and make her closer to him. He tried to pull her in a deep kiss, but in contrary she avoided him while biting her lips. He smirked disbelief. 


“I doubt that the destiny will come. Even when we are meant to meet in place, I doubt you would accept me. I think you  would do the same as now, rejecting me, without any hesitation.. without any time wasted..” He emphasized each words one by one. She looked at him through her eyes, her heart was throbbed knowing that she totally torn his heart.


“Can you believe on destiny, Bin-ssi..??” she gulped her own saliva. He smirked at her answer. 


“Let’s see..” he stood up and put the red box back on his pocket. He left her without saying other words. 


They were became stranger after that night. He would always avoid her gaze on any occasions even for off-air or on-air. They looked like totally stranger which made people around them kindly want to introduce them to each other. They would actually act like they were stranger and shook hand formally with a slightly smile on them . He was still broken inside because of her. He chose to date other celebrity to heal his wound. Truthfully, he couldn’t erase her on his heart, in other words she was his heart, no one could replace her. ‘The room was her, without her’. He tried to live his life as normal as he can. Started from working on the movies and dramas. Deep inside, He slowly built his images as one of A-list actors to immerse her. He want to get her attention again. 


The cold war that started from that night was suffocating him for years. He couldn’t send messages to her as friend again, he can’t phone her or came to her home again. He missed her badly. He waited for so long to get her back again. He wanted to believe that the destiny was exist.

 

2017


Hyunbin got an offer to be a villain in a movie named The Negotiation. The character that he had never done. It was a chance to develop a new character on the movies. He took the script and read it carefully. The producer who sat in front of him took a sip of coffee and waited patiently for him to finish. 


“ Who will be my co-star anyway?” he said while flipping pages of the script.

 
“I don’t know. I just sent it to Son Yejin so far but if she can’t, it would be a rookie.” His heart beat fast and made him almost lost his breath. ‘Is it his chance to get her back?’. The butterfly swirled on her stomach made his head spinning on happiness. 


“Is she knowing that I will be her partner?” he said carefully try to not giving a high hope to his heart. 


“Of course....but I don’t know if she would take this movie. She is one of the busiest artist after all.” The producer took a chips in front of him and ate it. He knew it, she successfully reached her goals. She got countless awards from this industry like she had been longing for. 


“Okay, I took this movie. I will talk to my manager!” he said casually. He kept praying that she would take this movie. He want to believe her so-called destiny.

----------------------------

She put the tteokbokki and beers on the tray and joined Hyunbin to sit beside him. She handed him a chopstick and she ate the tteokbokki first. 


“Let’s get married!” Hyunbin broke the silence. She took a bit of tteokbokki as calm as she can and naturally opened a can of beer. She was deep on her mind again and sighed.


“I won’t marry someone who was still in relationship.” She gulped her beer. In sudden, he grabbed her hands to make her facing him.


“ Are you playing with me again Yejin-ssi? After these years you still reject me? SO why are you accepting the project? You want me to believe that destiny exists? and then you broke it yourself? Am I joke to you Yejin-ssi?” he shouted.  She cleared and face him briefly. 


“How about Kang Sora?” she asked. He sighed disbelief. He let out a big sighed and ready to curse on her but he hold his lips not to say any bad words to her


“ You don’t read a news??” He asked again. He tried to sound as soft as he can.


“What kind of news?” she asked while blinking. He exhaled heavily. 


“We broke months a go.” He clarified to her. 


She tried to cleared again and freed from him. She wet with beer and deeply in thought. She saw two rings in front of her. The same rings and made her eyes watery. He really had been waiting for her for these years. 


She was one of successful artist so far indeed. She was broken that night. The night that made her drown into deep regret. The ambitions and young desires had overcame her life. She ignored her feeling. She thought that heartbreak could heal as times goes by. The heartbreak remained in her heart and she couldn’t fix it. It useless now, that time the words that slipped by , had built a strong wall between her and Hyunbin. She was totally did a big mistakes. 


She torn her own heart over ambition. The news of Hyunbin dated his co-star slapped her hard into reality. She cried out loud at that moment. She lost over her ambition. She covered her broken heart with her fake smile and laugh over the years. 


The day when producer offered the movie to her, gave her a slight hope, even it was impossible to get his heart again. She still yearned his heart but it would be complicated. He had a girl and she knew he wouldn’t cheated on her. The fact lowered her hope. She chose to do the movie in no time. They met again like stranger at first, but then they naturally became closer like they did before. She still thought that they would remain as friend forever, but his proposal this night brought her into tears. She wouldn’t believe that they were still waiting for each other these years. 


She sobbed knowing the fact that he still wanted her. Knowing that she was burdened by these years made him want to reassure her. He caressed her cheek to face him. He wiped her tears with his thumb. “Please, don’t make me wait for nothing!” he begged to her.  She couldn’t stop her tears. She let out the weight she put these years to relief her pain on letting him go. These years she tried to believe the destiny but sometimes she was full of worried that he wouldn’t find his way back to her. 


He felt the hurt on her eyes. Her tears broke him even more, but he didn’t know what to do. He kept on wiping her tears. The silence scared him that she might reject him again. He needed her answer than her silence. ‘Aren’t those years enough for silence?’ He sealed her lips softly to ask her the answer. He knew the words weren’t helping at all. He needed the answer for these years. He needed her. 


Suddenly, he felt a small response from her lips. She didn’t pushed him while on other hand, her small hand went through his jawline. He felt that his heart would explode and the butterflies on his stomach pushed him to let them free. The wait was over. He smooched her upper lips and wet the upper lips with his tongue. She bit his lower lip and slid her tongue to his mouth to make their kiss deeper. Her fingers went through his smooth hair while the other hand hung on his neck. The kiss grew wilder after they tasted each other. They almost lost their breath for their long kiss.


His hand grabbed her waist to pull her closer and let his feeling overcame him. Suddenly, he broke the kiss and wiped her wet lips with his thumb. They caught their breath hard.


“The answer is..?” he whispered, want to convince himself that she accepted his proposal. She pulled him closer and sealed his lips again with deep kiss which meant she needed him too. She tried to his t-shirt while he grabbed her waist and lift her to the sofa. They kept their lips intact and they started to touch every part of their body. 
‘Pik,pik,pik,pik,pik,pik.” The sound of the door that opened widely which hit them back into reality. They separated and waited for someone who open the door to came in. 


“ Yejin-ah..whoooaahh..DAEBAAK!!” her manager was taken a back by their appearance. Hyunbin with his messy hair and ed shirt while Yejin with her messy lipstick. Their faces became redder when he kept looking at them.  He kept the mouth opened and in a second he closed the door in a hurry realizing that someone might come inside.


He hurriedly approached them and still in awe, he stood up in front of them. 


“Hyunbin -ssi...?? ” he asked disbelief. “How come?” Hyunbin closed his eyes tightly and his jaw tighten. He took a deep breath before he took a bow to him awkwardly. 


“Oppa why are you coming?” Yejin asked him awkwardly.


“Your car was broken. And I took it to garage that was not far from your apartment. I am too tired to go home and I need a rest so I came right here...” he said still in disbelief. His eyes roamed the room and found the red box filled with two couple rings. He thought for a while and judging to their appearance. Unconsciously, Hyunbin glared at him.   


“OO..Okay... I won’t involve your privacy. Can you two please continued your thing on her room, so I can sleep on that sofa?” He begged a permission to them for invading they area. 


“Ohh.. okaay oppa..” she said while her hand rubbing her messy hair. They were standing up in awkward silence. 


“Ani.. I know you two can solve your might be future problems, right? You two are veteran. I won’t do anything if there is an issue about you two. “ he said every words carefully and lifted his hands up at the last sentence, that meant he really didn’t want to involve on their might be future problems. 


“ Its okay. It started from me and I will take the responsibilities, Hyung.” Hyunbin answered to reassure him.
“Ohh.. okay Hyunbin-ssi..” Yejin’s manager stuttered his words.


She cleaned up the snack and beer with the help of Hyunbin. Yejin asked Hyunbin to go to her room first so that the awkwardness would reduce.


Yejin manager tossed his body to the sofa after they cleaned up the mess. Feeling worse to her manager, Yejin brought blanket and pillow for her manager. 


“Thanks oppa for your understanding..” she whispered. 


“ I won’t help if you two caught up by paparazzi.” He said while yawning and stretching his limbs.


“Okay oppa.” She left him on the living room. 

--------------------------------


“I think it’s time to go home.” Hyunbin said as he felt so wrong after this incident. She took a seat beside him on the bed looking at his face. 


“Can you just stay here for tonight?” she asked him. 


“I can do further if I stay a bit longer here..” He let out a small giggle make her lips pouted. Yejin’s hand combed his messy hair and buttoning his T-shirt.


He took out the red box from his pocket and took a smaller ring. Hyunbin held her left hand and put on her ring finger. It took years for the ring to be placed on the owner. She smiled and she did the same. After they got the ring on their finger, he kissed her hand. 


Realizing it would be dawn soon, he stood up and walking toward the mirror to tidy up himself for the last.  


She hugged him from behind and making Hyunbin turned his body facing on her.  “Your lipstick stained your face.” He giggled and wiped the stain on her cheek. “Let’s make it official first and I will stay here forever.” He kissed her forehead before leaving.

-End-

P.S. It is just a fIction ^^

Some Korean Words:

Sugohasyeossoyo : Thank you for your hardwork

Ani : No 

Mwoya : What

Arrasseo : I understand 

Oppa : older brother (for girl)

Hyung : older brother (for boy)

Daebak : Amazing