On High Alert

A Moonlit Connection
Please log in to read the full chapter

The feeling that he was being watched never left Jinyoung, always sensing a pair of hidden eyes evaluating his every move. Even in the supposed safety of Helios Grove, Jinyoung no longer felt completely safe. Being constantly on edge, always looking over his shoulder has made him emotionally and mentally exhausted. It has been three days since President Park's unexpected visit. Three days after his threat and so far, nothing has happened yet. 

Jinyoung knows that the elite president wasn't a person to procrastinate especially when it came to something like this, which only made him more wary about every little thing around him. He couldn't walk out of Helios Grove without at least an ounce of trepidation, not knowing when or where Park's secret plan was going to be put into motion. That was the worst part for Jinyoung. The fact that he could be kidnapped while out in the city center or perhaps even assassinated after stepping a foot out of his home. Yep, he wouldn't put it past the president to commit murder after hearing all of Raymond's assessment of him.

                                      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Mark though had to put up with all this added tension. After having the realization that he was in love with Jinyoung, he grew more protective of his boyfriend. He knows that he was at risk as well but he felt that if anything were to happen, he hoped it would happen to him. Of course, other than the time he said he loved Jinyoung while he was asleep, the words were never spoken aloud again. Although it did repeat in his mind over and over like a defective record. They have enough on their plate as it was and adding anything that could even remotely cause more stress was definitely a no in Mark's mind. 

                                      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Raymond was on high alert at all times, taking every precaution necessary to ensure his family's safety. He has instructed Yugyeom to live with Dorine at her separate apartment for the time being, in case Park decided to use his other son as leverage to get what he wanted. Dorine was as tough as always, taking the news of Park's visit without so much as a flinch. Raymond knows the possibility of the president going after them was low and if anything were to happen, his wife would be able to handle things well but he still had that nervous itch at the back of his neck whenever he thought about anything happening to his family.

The whole Tuan family, including Jinyoung, was on standby. Getting help from anyone outside the family was social suicide. Spreading rumors, although true, about the president and his twisted mind could get you arrested for planning a coup. And getting locked up or worse, executed, was simply doing the job for Park himself. So they remained silent throughout.

The thought did cross Raymond's mind which was to hole themselves up in Helios Grove, a fortress to protect themselves in so to speak but life had to go on. Suddenly cutting contact with the outside world would have raised suspicion and once again, cast a not-so-innocent spotlight on the family. No, they had to pretend everything was fine and normal.

Jinyoung was sitting on his couch, looking at the TV but not really paying any attention to it. Neither Raymond nor Jinyoung was in any mood to conduct elite training so they had simply decided against it for the time being. Now though, Jinyoung was wishing they haven't postponed the training indefinitely. Sitting around all day simply gave him too much time to think, to worry. Mark has already left earlier in the day because he had some work to attend to and Jinyoung has spent almost every second wondering whether Mark was safe. 

Suddenly, his door was pushed open quite forcefully and there stood Steve. At first Jinyoung was shocked, knowing that Steve always knocked before entering. Hell, everyone always knocked before they entered. Jinyoung was just about to question it when Steve spoke up. "Jinyoung, Master Raymond needs you to head to his office immediately. It is of utmost urgency." The bot drones. Immediately, Jinyoung tensed at the statement. That didn't sound good at all and his mind went straight to Mark. Panic rose in him as he jumps off the couch, running past the robot and sprinting down the hall towards Raymond's office. His mind raced, hoping that what he suspected wasn't true in the slightest. He prayed over and over that it was something else, anything else, as long as Mark wasn't involved in it and was safe and sound.

As he ran as fast as his legs could carry him, never had Raymond's office seemed so far as it did at that moment. Paintings on the walls became a blur as he zoomed down the halls, swerving past obstacles and corners. Finally, his mentor's office came into view, the door wide open, which in itself was already an odd occurrence. But Jinyoung was much too preoccupied to care at this point so he pressed on.

He runs in, speaking before he has even seen Raymond. "Please don't tell me this has anything to do with Mark." Jinyoung pants. Raymond moved around his office, picking up notes and his tablet and stuffing them inside his briefcase. 

"We need to go." Raymond says, not so much as answering Jinyoung's question. Jinyoung knows that the older male has heard the question but he grew frightened of the reason why Raymond couldn't bring himself to say the words and answer him outright.

"Raymond, please say it's not Mark." Jinyoung pleads, still trying to catch his breath. Raymond looked up sadly at Jinyoung who immediately got the answer he didn't want to get. 

"He left me this message." Raymond says, pressing a couple of buttons on his BIC and causing a voice message to play.

"Dad, no time to explain. I need you to get Jinyoung somewhere safe." Mark's voice rang over the speakers of the BIC. "I think I'm being followed and I have a feeling it has something to do with President Park. I need you to..." The message was then cut off at that.

"Why did it stop? What happened?" Jinyoung asks, panic lacing his voice.

"The recording ends there. I have tried contacting him but communications to his BIC have been halted." Raymond replies, continuing to stuff things into his briefcase. "Only a few people can do that, Park being one of them." He adds.

"We have to find him." Jinyoung tries to convince the older male. Worry over his boyfriend's current well-being overtaking everything in his system.

"Yes, we will but first, I need to get you somewhere safe. If this is really Park's work, then we can assume he's gonna come after you next." Raymond informs Jinyoung, closing his packed suitcase and pulling Jinyoung as he leaves the room, heading to their hovercar. 

"I don't care if I'm next. I need to find him." Jinyoung shouts, on the verge of losing it.

"Jinyoung listen to me. We need to be clever about this. Getting caught now isn't gonna help anyone, especially not Mark. I need you to compose yourself." Raymond says, looking sternly into Jinyoung's eyes. Jinyoung takes a few shaky breaths after that, nodding after calming himself down. "Good. Now we need to get out of the city center. Park will probably be searching for us here first. Can we go to your parent's place?" Raymond inquires.

Jinyoung thinks about it, knowing it probably wasn't a very good idea seeing that he hasn't spoken to his parents since the day they fought. "I don't know Raymond, I..." He starts but he was cut off immediately.

"We need someone we can trust." Raymond emphasizes, finally arriving at the hovercar. Jinyoung thinks about it for a bit and really, there was no other choice. He nodded his agreement as he gets into the vehicle, telling the driver droid the address of his old home.

"Wait... won't the president be able to track our BICs?" Jinyoung asks as the vehicle started moving.

"That's why I'm going to do this." Raymond answers, pulling open his briefcase and pulling out his tablet. Connected to it was a wire with an electrode on the other end. "I've been researching the BIC for the past few days and I think I found a way to disable it." Raymond continues, attaching the electrode to the screen of his BIC. "I think if I can trick the BIC into giving a shock that is above the set limit, the shock should, in theory, fry the circuits enough to cause it to shut down." 

Jinyoung looked on as Raymond typed away at the tablet. "You're talking about the alarm clock shock to the system?" He asks for clarification.

"That is correct. The BIC is programmed to limit the volts to be nothing more than a sting but if I can remove that limit, it might be able to fry itself." Raymond takes a deep breath, hovering his finger over the button that would execute the command. "I'm sure this will hurt. Best-case scenario, the BIC shuts down. Worst-case scenario, I die from the shock." Raymond adds lightly, chuckling.

"What?!" Jinyoung shouts but before he could have the word out, Raymond has pressed the button. Immediately, the older male let out a scream as the watch shocked him, with how many volts Jinyoung didn't know. Jinyoung however, took solace in Raymond's screams, as that indicated at least that the older elite hasn't died. After five full seconds of screaming, Raymond finally stopped and slumped into his chair. For a moment, Jinyoung panicked at the thought that his mentor was dead until he noticed Raymond's chest moving as he breathed.

"Well, that was a lot worse than I expected." Raymond weakly says, moving his BIC up to inspect it. "At least it worked." He chuckles, tapping at the blank screen of his watch.

"Damn it Raymond! What if you have died right there?" Jinyoung cries, appalled and scared that Raymond has just put his own life to danger at the prospect of maybe turning off his BIC.

"Occupational hazard. Come now, it's your turn." Raymond informs Jinyoung as he pulled the electrode from his wrist and attached it to Jinyoung's. Jinyoung just sat there, slightly nervous about it but knowing it had to be done. "Ready?" Jinyoung nodded his head, breathing as he felt the electricity surge through his body which was emanating from his wrist. He bit his lip, suppressing the cry that wanted to escape. He was sure he would never complain about the tiny shock his BIC usually administered ever again, this being way worse. Finally, the shock stops and Jinyoung panted, recovering from the electric shock he has just experienced. "Are you okay?" Raymond checks Jinyoung, seemingly already recovered from his own electrocution just a while ago.

"Yeah, I'm good." Jinyoung nods, bringing his BIC up to ensure that it had worked. And true enough, the watch doesn't light up when pressed. As Raymond puts away the stuff back into his briefcase, Jinyoung stared at his wrist. It was the first time that he was truly without his little wrist companion, at least without ripping it off from his skin of course, and it was somehow kind of liberating. 

Their little experiment took slightly longer than they have actually anticipated and soon after, they were stopped in front of Jinyoung's old house. The pair gets out quickly, Raymond speaking to the driver. The hovercar drove off as the older elite directed the driver to a secluded spot so as to not bring any attention to themselves. Stopping in front of the door, Jinyoung waves his BIC in front of it, knowing that it usually opened the door without problem but this time though, nothing happened. 

"Jinyoung, your BIC has shut down already." Raymond reminds to which Jinyoung almost slapped himself at his display of stupidity. It's funny because he has lived with it for his whole life and it would take some time getting used to remember that it was no longer working. Seeing that he couldn't get the door opened, he did something he has never done before. He knocks on the door.

They stood there, waiting for the door to open. Raymond busied himself by looking up and down the street, making sure that there were no street cameras that could give away their position. Thankfully, there were none. Jinyoung however, waited, counting the seconds as he did. After ten seconds, he wondered if his parents weren't home and that they haven't yet returned from work. Of course, he didn't know if ten seconds was the norm for his parents, having never waited for them to open the door for him. For all he knew, they could have taken an average of half a minute to answer the door. 

Eventually, at the sixteen second mark, as counted by Jinyoung, the door slides open. Suzy looks up and a surprised look graces her features, not expecting the person at the door to be her son. "Nyoung? What are you doing here?"

"Hi Mom. Not to be rude but it's kind of urgent that we come inside. Is that okay?" Jinyoung sheepishly asks, unsure if he was welcomed back into the house after his last visit. 

"Of course." Suzy immediately agrees, stepping aside to let Jinyoung in. Raymond follows behind him, smiling warmly at Suzy although all he wanted to do was get to work. 

"Evening Mrs. Park. I'm so sorry for intruding like this but we're a little bit desperate as of the moment." Raymond says, walking over to the coffee table and laying down his briefcase, immediately going to work. Suzy gives a questioning look at Jinyoung, expecting some sort of explanation. 

"Long story Mom. This is Raymond by the way, Mark's fath

Please log in to read the full chapter