The First Selenian Indigene-Elite

A Moonlit Connection
Please log in to read the full chapter

Jinyoung cracks open his eyes from the irritating buzzing coming from his left wrist. Groaning, he brings his right index finger over his BIC and swipes it across, causing the device to stop vibrating. The thought of crawling back to sleep crosses his mind but he knew that the idea isn't wise. He has already snoozed his BIC twice that morning and he isn't thrilled at the idea of ignoring it for a third time. There is no fooling the little device, fall back asleep after the second alarm and it jolts you awake with an electrical shock to your system. A very unpleasant thing to start your day with but that aspect of the BIC meant that Selenians will hardly be late for anything. 

Jinyoung runs a hand over his face, wiping the sleep from his eyes. A day that would normally bring someone joy, is currently filling him with insane amounts of dread. It's Jinyoung's 21st birthday today. The day that he is notified of his posting and starts his first day of work. In Jinyoung's mind however, it also meant the end of his carefree life. He is truly now an adult.

Jinyoung forces himself to sit up, looking out the window of his room to the right. He brings his hand to his bedside table, pushing a button, which caused the tint of the window to slowly fade, allowing the light to shine through without a filter. Heaving a sigh, he pulls the covers off of him and makes his way to his bathroom to get ready for his supposed big day. Jinyoung dresses in a loose fitting shirt layered over a cotton tank top, coupled with a cream colored pair of chinos. It was common knowledge to dress as comfortably as you can on your first day, as you would never know what kind of job you would be placed in. He wouldn't want to walk into a carpenter's workshop in a shirt and tie, now would he?

As Jinyoung heads down to the kitchen, the smell of pancakes filling the house and infusing his senses. "I guess I should have known." Jinyoung announces, walking into his kitchen where his mother is currently at the stove. 

"Known what?" Suzy asks, not taking her eyes off of the pan in front of her.

"That you'll make my favorite breakfast." Jinyoung answers, coming behind his mother and wrapping his arms around her neck. "Thanks Mom. It smells great."

"Anything for my birthday boy." She says, smiling up at Jinyoung.

"Happy 21st birthday son. You're officially an adult now." Taecyeon remarks, sipping his cup of coffee from his position in the dining table. 

"Don't remind me Dad." Jinyoung groans, letting go of his mother and turning to his father. 


"Just telling it like it is. Still worried?" Taecyeon asks.

"A little, yeah." Jinyoung confesses. 

"Just take it in stride. The test is pretty accurate, scarily so sometimes. It knows what you'll excel at even if you don't yourself." His dad reassures, bringing up the news on the table interface. 

"I hope so." Jinyoung is however, not just worried about what job he'll be going to get but if he could survive doing that job for the rest of his life. That part is the real problem in Jinyoung's mind. All worry was momentarily gone however, the moment his mother comes over with a tower of pancakes, placing them on the table in front of Jinyoung. He dives into the pile, fishing pancakes onto his plates. For now, he is contented to lose himself in his mother's delicious cooking. 

"So when are the results coming out?" Suzy asks, taking a seat beside Jinyoung. With his mouth currently stuffed with pancakes, he looks to his watch.

"In around an hour." Jinyoung mumbles with his mouth full. Suzy gives her son a look of slight disgust as food bits fly out of his mouth before chuckling and shaking her head. Jinyoung just shrugs his shoulders but continues his ravage of his food, disregarding his mother's disapproval.

As the Parks ate their breakfast, they talk about their plans for the future. With Jinyoung now going to work, the prospect that he would soon be moving out is just beyond the horizon. Of course, it all depends on where Jinyoung is going to work. If he will work halfway across the moon, it's certain that elites would have him relocated to reduce his travel time. Even if he works nearby though, they would soon put him in a home of his own so he could one day settle down and start a family, something that Jinyoung isn't entirely confident of doing. What with hiding his uality and all. Still, priority is knowing his posting.

Jinyoung sits in the living room, watching the screen in front of him but not really paying attention. His mind is too preoccupied with the device on his wrist. Any minute now, his BIC would receive his results and he would then have to report to work for his first day. His parents sit in the other room, knowing that Jinyoung probably want some alone time. 

Jinyoung lets his mind wander as he stares at his BIC, observing the edge of the strap, which dug slightly into his skin, wondering if it hurt when they put it on when he was a baby. The material it was made of was part biological after all, growing with the wearer as he grows. He shares a love-hate relationship with his BIC however, as with most people on Selene. A part of him is fascinated by the device and always thinking about new practical uses for it that has yet to be developed and other times he hated how he couldn't get rid of it even if he wanted to and how annoying it was at times. If you were crazy enough, you could try ripping it off but one will probably bleed to death before one could get to the nearest medical facility, since the device was integrated with your blood vessels.

Vibrations knock Jinyoung from his thoughts as the screen on his BIC flashes. His results are in. Jinyoung stares at the flashing screen for a few moments, composing his suddenly thumping heart, unsure why he's so nervous about it. With one last deep breath, Jinyoung puts a finger to the screen, opening the message. A voice message starts to play from the watch.

"This is an automated message in accordance with the Selenian Labor Law." The female automated voice recites. "After receiving your posting, you are required to head to your reporting center immediately. Directions will be forwarded to your BIC and you are to follow the designated route. Failure to do so will result in disciplinary action." Jinyoung notices movement to his left and turns to see his parents standing by the kitchen entrance, shooting him an encouraging look.

"Vocation test results for... Park Jinyoung, Selene ID # 865-412-988-A. Occupation... Inconclusive. You are to report to... Helios Grove, 435 Treser Lane. Congratulations on your new posting. This message was brought to you by the Selene Education Council." The message cuts off after that.

Jinyoung stares at his BIC in confusion. "What? What did it say about my posting? Inconclusive?" He turns to his parents, who are both sharing his confused look. "What does that mean?" He directs his question to them.

"I don't know. I've never heard of anyone who didn't get an answer before." Taecyeon says, stepping forward towards his son. 

"Maybe there was some error." Suzy suggests, trying to figure out the extremely bizarre situation. 

"Directions to Helios Grove, 435 Treser Lane." Jinyoung's BIC announces again as directions are being shown on his device. 

"Well seems like it's time for you to go. Maybe the people there might be able to explain. Just go there and maybe then everything would be clear." Taceyeon raises his hand, patting his son on his shoulder. 

"I guess." Jinyoung says, giving his father a hug. At the sight, Suzy comes forward and embraces her family. "I love you guys." Jinyoung solemnly tells his parents. Shocked by his sentimentality right now.

"We love you too Nyoung. I'm sure everything is going to be fine." Suzy says, releasing the hug. 

"Well I guess I should get going then. You know, before disciplinary action is taken against me." Jinyoung jokes, making his parents chuckle. He waves at them before exiting his house, turning one last time to look at his parents as the door closes behind him. It wasn't final goodbyes, so why did Jinyoung feel like it was. Sighing, he looks down at his BIC, which directed him to where he needs to go.

Following the directions from his wrist device, he finds himself walking past the houses that lined his street. From the general direction he's currently headed, he assumes he is headed for the tram. He has no idea where Helios Grove is. He never even heard of it in fact, so he figures that it must have been far away. Stepping onto the main street, he expects to turn right for the tram station but was surprised when he was directed to veer left instead. Of course, all he could do was follow as he was told, walking down the street, seeing indigenes going about their daily business.

Every now and then, Jinyoung would check his BIC to make sure he was going the correct way. To his left, in the distance, he sees the city centre again, clearer this time without any buildings obstructing his view. He takes a left as his BIC instructed before the device states that he has reached his destination. Confused, Jinyoung looks around him, knowing for a fact that the road he is currently on isn't Helios Grove or Treser Lane. He has travelled this way many times before to know that for a fact. 

Jinyoung knocks on his BIC a couple of times, wondering if the device malfunctioned, which would have been a first for him. "This can't be it right?" Jinyoung questions to himself. Just then, a hovercar stops just beside Jinyoung, floating just above the ground with its antigravity plates. It was also the first time Jinyoung has seen a hovercar up close, and a nice one at that. The chassis is jet black and glistened like it was newly polished. The glass that stretched across the entire top of the car is tinted to the same opacity as the metal body, making the vehicle look like it was made of a solid piece of metal. 

Jinyoung makes to move away from the vehicle, afraid that he would scratch it by standing too close. He takes one step before the window faded to transparent, a driver bot behind the wheel. "Park Jinyoung?" It calls out, not moving a gear.

"Uh... yeah?" Jinyoung replies, a little unsure of how to handle the situation.

"I will be your driver to Helios Grove. Please board the hovercar." The robot drones, the glass immediately returning to its opaque form. Before Jinyoung could question anything, the back door slides open, beckoning him to enter. Hesitantly, Jinyoung steps towards the open door, peeking into the interior, unsure of whether he wanted to trust this android or not. Even with the non-existent crime, Jinyoung wonders if this was some elaborate kidnap plot, although it was highly unlikely. "Is something the problem sir?" The robotic voice echoes through the interior of the car.

"Um... no, I'm fine." Jinyoung says, finally stepping into the car. The door slides close behind him and the vehicle is on its way immediately. The glass of the car, although opaque from the outside, is clear as day from the inside. One-way glass, Jinyoung concludes. Jinyoung eyes the droid in the driver's seat, looking at the back of his head. Droids are designed with simplicity in mind, made of a low-density metal alloy. They have the basic structure of humans without the little details. For example, droids didn't have facial features, their face nothing more than two sheets of metal coming to a point with cameras for eyes.  

"Sir I may be a droid but I would appreciate it if you didn't stare." Jinyoung quickly drops his gaze but not before a blush creeps up on his cheeks. 

"Sorry and please stop calling me sir." Jinyoung says. It was weird hearing someone call him sir. Never has he been called anything other than Jinyoung.

"I'm sorry sir but I cannot. I've been programmed to address all humans as sir or ma'am."

"Then... can you at least tell me why I'm headed to Helios Grove?"

"That is also something I do not have an answer to." The bot replies. Jinyoung drops his head in disappointment. 

"So can you at least tell me where this Helios Grove is or what it is? An office building, an education center, what?" Jinyoung still questions.

"Helios Grove is within the city center but I think you are mistaken sir. Helios Grove isn't a government building. It is a residential address." The droid answers.

"What? Why am I going to a residential address?

Please log in to read the full chapter