No longer the Gatekeeper

The Middle Haven
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter



 



...





 

Sana stared at the boy. She had just finished reading a book, The Road Less Traveled by M. Scott Peck.

She had been having interest she wanted to delve into. The book was indeed a daring and honest in his tackle on love, grace, values and spiritual growth. The mortal has a way of grasping a world with their limited time and limited capabilities. It earns a respect and a subtle admiration from the young goddess. Whose mind drifts to various directions these days, now that she could not go wherever and do whatever without consequences.


 

Dahyun had somewhere to be. Somewhere pertaining to her job as consulting psychologist to a few orphanage. The ones her dad had always been involved with. The children are in need of guidance and counsel, Dahyun bravely answers the call. As everyone should have.
 

Sana unexpectedly finds peace in knowing how Dahyun had sacrifice her position as a gatekeeper to be a bridge here in the mortal realm. A bridge to a future of empowered growth and understanding of the responsibility of navigating one's life with one's choices. Now, Sana wonders where her existence should be set forth with. Aside from the evident need to learn to live among mortals, should else be there. With limited time, it's ironic how so many is possible in Sana's mind. Is this how Dahyun had perceived it, that is why she had left her wings to be among the humans. 
 

Sana watches the garden. It was so captivating as it was mundane. The sight anchors here restless being.



 

Today was uneventful as the rest. She finds herself idle in their home. Adjusting to being in one place for a long time is something Sana thought would be unbearable.

It was not so bad.

 

The child she was with was thankfully obedient. Barely giving Sana any headache. Was Dahyun similar when she was younger? Sana had remembered that she was not much of a trouble child unless for certain thing she wishes not to do. But eventually she learned to bend and follow.








 

“I’m tired” The boy came and laid on Sana’s  lap by the couch overlooking the lush greens and colorful picture.

 

He was pouting that Sana let out a smile. What an enchanting one he is. She began to comb his hair.



 

“Rest child. Your mama will be home soon”











 

Dahyun was staring at the girl or the young goddess staying with them. She had just finished preparing a creamy garlic pasta with mushroom and chicken for dinner.

 

Sana was silently chewing, not shy in meeting Dahyun’s eyes filled with apprehension.



 

“It’s so good mama!” The boy shouted in glee while their dogs let out a bark in support.

 

Dahyun had chuckled at the response but her nerves were still there as she waits for her response.





 

Dahyun was left to wash the dishes, its not that she was expecting anything from her new housemate.


 

“Dinner was great, Dahyun” The sudden comment almost caused Dahyun to break her favourite neon green mug.

 

Sana was quick to join the child in the living room.

 

Slowly, a smile etched on the halfling’s face.



 









 

 

 

 

Sana was inside Dahyun’s recreational room. She had long been curious but found it to be rude to check without Dahyun's permission. Now, Dahyun had allowed her, it's fine.

 

A space mainly intended for her hobbies of painting, pieces and recycled art materials. She had it since a child and two large dogs can cause chaos with her stuff lying around.


 

Sana tries to understand the series of paintings. Few are unfinished.


 

She could not help but cover her smile after finding her face in a few of the paintings. In one, she was depicted as seemingly an enchantress in a forest. She stared at her features, her lips were given the greatest detail. She was not smiling in the painting.


 

Her attention moved and once again was held by another piece. No longer her face.

Some here were hung on the walls or laid against the wall touching the floor. 

 

It was small hands like that of a baby. It was  seemingly reaching for something.

 

She was overcome by adoration at the painting. A tug on her immortal strings.




 

“He was tiny when I first met him.” Dahyun’s voice greeted Sana. She didn’t notice she had already arrived home. But she had lost track of time. Very immortal thing, losing track.

The child was already sleeping in his room after tiring out himself and the dogs.

 

“You didn’t tell me he was like you”

Sana realized it some days ago. The child was also a forbidden fruit of two worlds. Sana had observed that the child had an unusual charm with living creatures.

 

Sana had found him one night talking toa few rabbits on their backyard. The next time it was a fox and if she was not mistaken, a deer was also a visitor on their garden. Not accounting how insects every now and then keep being attracted to him as he played in the garden. It was fascinating once more.

 

Sana was sure the child could rally the forest of all its hidden creatures. Testament to that was a day when he was feeling down with the flu. Dozens of birds were perched on the trees surrounding their hammock by the garden. Sana, after leaving him alone for a bit, had found him asleep as the birds sang him to sleep.


 

“Like I had to,” Dahyun answered, offering pastries she bought from a local bakery along the way home.

 

They moved to the garden for a tea time.

 

Sana took one and smelled it before lifting it to her lips. Dahyun had a knack of letting Sana taste something new almost everyday. Also inscribe in their routine is watching movies of varied themes. Sana find it more entertaining that she would like to admit. Humans are bizarre yet relatable.


 

“I wonder who's his parents is up there”

Sana let out her thoughts. Who could be his careless parent, was it a mother or father?



 

Dahyun chewed the still warm blueberry muffin. 


 

“Well, my father had led me to him. So he is...” ours “...mine now” Dahyun said.

No, he is not her property or proof of validation in life. He is her responsibility to nurture and soon to release in the big world as for him to make a discovery of life on his won accord.



 

Dahyun's father was active in helping out and giving donations to orphanages in their area. Sometimes even neighboring orphanages. He had nothing to be busy for after she left. Dahyun was glad he found greater purpose than she did.

 

It was written on a letter meant for her when she came back to earth. Her father shared in the letter about finding a halfling in one of the orphanage. He wrote there what a charming child he was. He shared stories and their little adventures. He didn’t have to directly tell Dahyun anything. But she just knew what to do.

 

When she saw him, it was like she knew  right then. He was  a gift to this world, to her from the heavens.



 

“You’re good to him. He adores you”

Sana said with all due honesty.


<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter