Raise the Gates

The Middle Haven
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Song vibe: Orbit by Hwasa

 

 

 

 





 

 

How could there be only one world to believe in?

 

and,

 

truly, different had not always meant better.














 

She was one of the humbled gods.


 

Here, she carries, along with a fortunate few, the responsibility to open the bridge between earth and middle haven.


 

Middle haven.

 

The world holding together, earth and the said heavens. There are worlds beyond these two but one such as this girl could only imagine what kind of worlds there may be.

 

But the bridge is a sight to imprint in one’s memory.

 

A good reflection of the world of gods and goddesses who sprang from the grace and love of the high gods, the original ones if you may. High gods who were only told to be worshipped and never questioned. Whose influence and power exceeds one’s imagination.

 

The bridge, adorned with white granite, has the tallest gates glinting with ash cream visage. It was made of material likened of metal that carries the resistance of any power, as to serve its purpose.

 

No entity is just to enter without being permitted. Not that any immortals, especially mortals could enter. They keep track of offending gods whose punishments vary from having to spend lifetimes on earth, of those dubious intentions to enter either worlds and of very few humans who dares to dream. They do not carry the deciding hands but they follow orders from above them.

 

That was their job. To be gatekeepers of those two worlds.

 

It was a great honor for Dahyun to be chosen. It was always her mortal father’s vision for her. It had been her ticket to be a citizen of middle haven.

 

She had seen in him the adoration he had for his only daughter to be where her birth mother’s world is. So it was only natural for her to embrace such a dream.

 

You see, Dahyun was a child of frowned upon union of a mortal and an immortal. Offsprings of such unions have always been cause for arguments to which world they must stay. Indeed they seem to belong to neither world. For with a blood of a god on earth, you shine above mere mortals. Humans who are long before aware of gods presence, shunned halflings. They are threatened per se but not without reason. The current rulers in position on the mortal’s world do not wish on sharing power with one who is more superior, or anyone else for that matter.

 

But for halflings to be sent to middle haven was also questioned, fortunately, times have changed. They were allowed to enter and live one among the pure immortals. Not that it came easy. Dahyun was able to go there as her father presented her fitting as a gatekeeper. Dahyun was trained and groomed young with such expectations.

 

Still in the present times, bearing halflings was to be avoided rather than encouraged and so goes union between two worlds. And obviously, a god having mortal blood brings one at the bottom of an old and complicated hierarchy filled with these so-called pure immortals.

 

This is where Dahyun lies in the scheme of things. She had actualized her father’s dream and it brought her such satisfaction as she stares at herself clothed in fine garments. The bronze armband of a gatekeeper on her right arm shining. But is it really enough? Was this all it?












 

“Raise the gates.”



 

A voice called out on her daydreaming.

 

Dressed in pale blue cotton that ended on her ankles, Dahyun frowned upon the command.

 

It was a breach of their rules to open the gates this season. For various disciplinary and rational reasons, gods are not to just dip and flee as they want. That is just a recipe for chaos. Especially when beings on earth themselves create enough chaos on their own.

 

So Dahyun stared at Nayeon who made a gesture with her face to follow the voice who commanded the gates to open.

 

Just do it, her lips mouthed.

 

It's not like they have a choice, it was Mina. They know of her.

 

A favored offspring from one of the high ranking gods in their region. Her parents supervise the control of the gates on this part of their world. That power right there says enough of her origin’s influence.

 

Mina was technically one of their superiors.

 

So Dahyun pressed her right hand on a stone platform and flinched a little at the exertion. The gates have some sort of life knowing when rules are not followed hence a burning sensation on her hand. But thankfully the gates still follow command.

 

The massive white ashen metals lifted to create a passageway.

 

Nayeon opened her palms offering a few handfuls of glowing sky blue marbles to Mina. Their ticket to come back.

 

Mina was wearing a light golden cloak along with three of her companions whose faces were hidden to the gatekeepers.

 

Dahyun went and stood beside Nayeon. Mina took five of the marbles. Dahyun wondered again and luckily was able to stop herself from frowning. There were only four of them.



 

Now in gratitude (or can be of varied intentions), gods and goddesses wave their blessings to one another.

 

This is a limited power of pure immortals which gives good favor or grace (or whatever you wish to call it) for who it falls upon may it be another immortal or not. Even mortals work for such honor, being blessed by the gods brings amoral divine fortune and luck.

 

Mina lifted and waved her hand upon them to show her thanks. She frowned when she felt herself depleted of such capability. She had forgotten that she might have graced a few too many people in a short span of allowed time.

 

 

 

 

“Let me”

 

One of the cloaked gods spoke up, lowering her hood to show her face.

 

 

It was another familiar face. Her name is Sana, another of influence.

 

A glimmer of sparkling golden shards begin to form from Sana’s hand.

They know her by her parental association. She is an offspring of an influential father in one of the councils of the governing bodies in middle haven. Politics here is vast and intricate. Fancy words for messy and distasteful, some would argue.

 

Nayeon had bowed to receive her grace and said her gratitude. Her hair cascading down her cheeks. The feeling had an addictive sentience to it.


 

Sana raised her palm over to Dahyun.




 

But the damned halfling stepped back.









 

“Thank you but I am more than content, young goddess”






 

There was a comical pause.


 

That a pin could drop and be heard. Many of them held their immortal breaths.




 

Dahyun was looking down on the ground tilting her head away. Nayeon went rigid as stone beside her. Her usually quick wit was speechless to save her friend or the situation.


 

Dahyun just refused a god’s generosity.

 

One who even is a daughter of those who sit and rule in the high council in their region. Nayeon knew no one of this level of, what can she call this, stupidity? No, bravery? Not that one either. Whatever it is, Dahyun’s luck just ran-





 

“Let’s take our leave. She is waiting”

 

A deep voice belonging to a male companion of theirs spoke up breaking the tension. Mina touched Sana’s elbow to leave. And they did, leaving trace of grace and elegance in the atmosphere.



 

Dahyun was grateful to the one who spoke up as she heard their steps quiet down.



 

She counted mentally, then she was wincing in agony as Nayeon pinched her side and not even content, pinched Dahyun’s ear as well.


 

“What were you thinking?! Refusing her like that?”

 

Nayeon hissed in sudden frustration and confusion.


 

“Dahyun?”

 

Nayeon followed Dahyun as they walked back to their station. She remembered how the young goddess Sana had stared down at Dahyun. Luckily, Mina led her away. Those eyes were beyond intense.


 

“I just didn’t want it” Her words were barely heard.



 

 

Really this girl.
 

Nayeon sighed and frowned.

 

She realized Dahyun might have deeper reasons of her own but still, that was a blatant disrespect. If it were anyone else, especially older immortals, Dahyun is finished. And so was she by being her mere companion.



 

“You’re lucky they were sneaking out, so they didn’t bother to reprimand you.”




 

The gates could be heard closing in the distance.
















 

 

 

 

 

 

Dahyun was walking along a meadow when she smiled as she remembered her proud moment.
 

Who was she to refuse such grace from a god?

 

But at that moment she could not just help herself.

 

That young goddess Sana whose father was someone Dahyun had begun to hate as she stayed longer in this world. He was one of the gods that strongly opposed acceptance of halflings in their world. When she arrived in this world, Dahyun went looking for archives in the libraries that she could access to find of her mother’s whereabouts. Only to discover that it was him and his cronies that passed the law to exile the kinds of her mother. A god who falls for a mortal, worse sanctions is said to be given for those who bore a child of two worlds.

 

Dahyun’s mother was punished and exiled after Dahyun was born. To where, her father was clueless and helpless.

 

So it was sudden anger that made Dahyun brave to deny acceptance of a god's grace. In a world where it was almost considered the most important currency, where the hierarchy is sustained in such a way.

 

One’s value is defined by how many immortal you’ve kissed. Dahyun concluded with these defeating thoughts as she drew closer to her destination.









 

She was one of the humbled gods. Humbled by her mortal origins, impure by other’s standards. Barely a god and too much of a mortal.











 

The gates were being raised once more.


 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter