-2-

Royal in the Making

"Dear, remember to bring out a coat! It's a little chilly out today." Somin smiled and kissed her mom's cheeks goodbye.

"Neh, Umma. I'll drop by the pharmacy to get more medicine before heading to work." And it was then the atmosphere got cold. Mrs Lee had been suffering an illness and was slowly improving. But medicine wasn't cheap. That's why Somin worked long hours every day on top of balancing school to fork out the money.

And her dad? Well, Mr Lee died from a at work just a couple of years ago.

"I'm so sorry..." The elder held onto the younger's hands, gently caressing as she bowed her head. "Umma... Don't worry. We'll get through this, hm?"

Her older sister offered to come back to Korea to support them both. But they both felt bad because it meant for her to leave her own family in Canada to take care of mom. The least she could do was sent them money monthly, but it was barely enough to support Somin's school fees and her mother's medical essentials.

"I've gotta go, see you later okay, umma?" Somin smiled and kissed the elder's cheek. "Take care and rest well. I'll be back home soon!"

And she went off.

——

It was quiet in the cafe as well and Somin decided to take this time to read a book — Eleanor & Park. Her absolute favourite about two people of different status, race and personalities meet and storm through high school while discovering self-worth and love.

Somin felt as if time was passing slowly and peacefully. All her worries from this morning dissipated and she was at zen. But the tranquillity soon halted when her two friends came in for their shift.

"Somin ah, guess what day is it this Friday!" Mina grabbed the book away from the former as the two girls bit their lips, waiting to spill the beans.

"I don't know? Saint Patrick's Day?"

Hyomin rolled her eyes. "No silly! It's..."

"Sakura Royal Lucky Draw Day!" The two screamed and were soon shushed by a neighbouring customer.

Somin laughed heartedly and shook her head. "Is this about your Royal Oppa Princes in the making again? I told you, they aren't the Royals."

Ever since that day, the same guy who ordered the drinks came back every Wednesday. Unfortunately for the two girls, he denied that he isn't a Sakura Royal. But he could be lying, the girls said. Since then, they couldn't stop talking about the other Princes.

Mina gasped, "Have you been living under the rock? It's the annual day where a commoner stands a lucky chance to be enrolled into the Sakura Royal Academy with a free scholarship! FREE!"

Hyomin nodded her head vigorously. "We've been waiting for this day all year! Can you imagine? Living and being surrounded by handsome Princes and Gentlemen Admins? AHHH!" The two cheered and jumped around.

Somin sighed and smiled.

Of course, she had heard of the lucky draw. It had always been her dream to be wealthy and comfortable. But a girl could only dream, so she pushed it aside to focus on her current situation.

Besides, what are the chances of it happening in the first place?

Why bother with luck and hope when you can work hard?

"Alright, calm down girls. We've got a lot of cups to wipe before the lunch crowd arrives." Somin cleared the table and went back to her workstation when a customer came.

"Hi, welcome! Oh, it's you again!" Somin greeted the familiar guy with his usual black face mask. "Yeah, my hyungs wanted to see how you lo- I MEAN! Erm, they decided to take a stroll today, ehem."

The latter stammered and started to blush furiously.

Phew, close one.

Somin looked over and saw 3 other tall gentlemen wearing masks and trying to act 'normal'.

"Ah, seems like you guys really like our coffee!" Naive and oblivious as ever, Somin bought the lie.

"Y-yeah. Hey, the Sakura Royal Lucky Draw is this Friday, are you by any chance taking part?"

Somin paused.

Why is everyone asking me this?

"No, I'm not, unfortunately." The guy just nodded. But what Somin didn't know was that he was hoping a 'yes' for an answer.

——

The week soon came to an end and Somin had the last day of the weekday off.

— Flashback to Thursday —

"Manger Kim, I can assure you I don't need rest!" Somin tried persuading her manager to let her work but Mrs Kim could only smile. "Hey kid, I'm giving you this opportunity to spend time with your family. Besides, I let your two friends take a break too since the Sakura Royal Lucky Draw is tomorrow.."

Right. I forgot it's a pretty huge event. Not many people will be out anyways since they're waiting for the results.

And it wasn't long till her two friends started getting excited about the lucky draw.

"Unnie! Can we come over to your place to witness this magnificent event?"

"Yeah, just like last year! Pleaseeee~"

The two pleaded and gave their best aegyo. Somin laughed at their terrible attempt to suave her. "Fine, but you're bringing lunch okay? I don't want to cook again after the mess last year."

"Okay!" They shouted in unison.

— End of Flashback —

Ding Dong

"I'll get the door! Don't worry, umma!" Wearing a large t-shirt that says 'Nirvana' and casual home shorts, Somin welcomed her two screechy friends.

"We bought tteokbokki and dakgalbi! We know you and Mrs Lee love these!"

It wasn't their first time in the Lee household. The two came occasionally to accompany the Lees and tried to bring up the mood whenever they can knowing their situation.

"Oh, you two shouldn't have!" Mrs Lee smiled and hugged them both. "It's okay Mrs Lee! We'll bring the plates and cutlery, you and Somin unnie just rest on the sofa!" Hyomin dragged them to the living room while Mina set up the food to the coffee table.

Somin switched on the tv and it was broadcasting at Sakura Royal Academy. As much as this was a lucky draw, they didn't miss the chance to showcase the different royals in the making as well.

Watching in a daze, Somin started thinking back on what her masked friend asked the other day.

Could it be that he was taking part in the lucky draw? Hmm...

"Ohhh! It's starting! It's starting!" Mina and Hyomin quickly settled down on the living room floor and glued their eyes to the TV.

"Ladies and Gentlemen! The long-awaited lucky draw will be started in 2 minutes! We will be inviting our Crown Princess in the making, Miss Younghee to draw one name card from the box here. Will it be you?"

The MC is really doing a good job to rile the audience up. Just look at these two hooligans on the floor.

While the two girls were dreaming and screaming on the floor, Mrs Lee slowly got up and made her way to the kitchen.

"Umma! Do you want some water? You could have asked me to get in. Come, sit down and I'll go get it."

Somin held her mother's hand and carefully sat her down. "Mina, Hyomin! Any drinks for you too?"

"Any will do! Quickly go and come back, you can't miss it!"

Amused and chuckling at her friends, she went to the kitchen and poured 4 glasses of water.

"Miss Younghee, please kindly make your way to the lucky draw box here! The lucky name you pick up will be awarded a scholarship into our highly regarded Royal academy to become a Lady Admin for a Princess! Miss Younghee, you can now take your pick."

As if on cue, everyone was silent. Everyone at work, at home or at the park could only stare at their devices, waiting for the results to be out.

Somin placed the tray of water on the table and picked one up for herself to drink.

Behind the cameras on site, Younghee rolled her eyes and dipped her hand in. She picked up a card and lazily read...

.

.

.

.

.

The two girls gasped and screamed.

.

.

.

.

.

"Lee Somin."