Start

Gardenia

January 06, 2002, 03:09 am. 

Junjin was in sound slumber when his phone went off, he tried ignoring the first few rings, but whoever was calling was persistent. 

"Hello?" His voice was raspy 

"Jin-ah, you have to leave Seoul now, they know, Jin-ah they know everything, they're coming for you, I arranged a yacht to bring you to the rendevous point, meet them at Seoul harbour at noon, I left them some cash and a passport, Jin-ah, it's every man for himself now." The person on the phone then hung up. 


Current day, Seoul, Police station

"Sir, my informant has found vital information for the Vita Bar case. The new owner is registered under a Japanese commerce company and the signee is Takumi Nakamura, we did a little digging and found that he was been heavily involved in illegal weapons dealing for the past 8 years, he is the general commander of the Ragon clan led my our perpetrator that goes by Jun Jin" Minwoo spoke to Eric while stirring in his coffee mix. 

"So what you're telling me to know is that everything is connected to this guy? But why? We haven't seen nor heard of his name before so why surface now?"

"From what we can presume, it seems like he's back to fight for the thrown. Uncle six is currently hospitalized and will pass any minute leaving the position for his son and commander-general to fight for, but know a new player as joined in who has never been around before, I can only guess that this man is related to Uncle six somehow."

"Minwoo, ask your guy to get me more details, I need to know what this guy's next move is, have the boys keep a watch on Vita Bar 24/7 and see what Uncle Six' men are planning, call me right away when you have new information."

"Yes sir."

"Stop calling me sir, we're the same age"

"But technically you're my sunbae"

"Sunbae my , just call me Eric."


"Cheif has requested that the Vita Bar case be passed onto Pro Kim, I need all the case files to hand into the Gangnam office," Hojin informed Andy.

"What why so suddenly?"

"This case has ties to another case that pro him is working on"

Andy sighed and rubbed his temples together, "Fine. I get it submitted by 3 pm."

"Thank you. I also wanted to remind you that the deadline for scheduling court hearings is tomorrow"

"I know, I know, can you go through the second pile on my desk, those are all the ones that need a summoning request"

"Yes, Sunbae"

Andy submitted the cases paperwork to Dongwans office and stepped out for a cigarette, he opened the box and found that he only had one left. Andy went to the convenience store around the corner to buy some more, on his way out a man in an all-black dress-shirt attire entered taking on the phone. 

"Hyung-nim is crazy, he's going to send the boys to Vita-bar tonight, who the does that Junjin guy thinks he is? Word has it that whoever gets rid of him will get promoted, I'm sick of being a lackey, I wanna be a leader."

Andy did a double-take, did he hear it right? He laughs and thinks that maybe Junjin wasn't such a rare name after all. 


Hyesung sat in a quiet cafe checking his watch every few seconds, 

"Yah! Dongwan, Over here!" 

"Oh, Hyesung ah, traffic was killer"

"You could have walked your office is a block away"

"Oh haha"

"Are you sure it's him?"

"100 percent, with Uncle Six' situation there is no way in hell he's turning a blind eye"

"It's only a matter of time Andy finds out even if you take over his case"

Dongwan sighed and gripped onto the coffee mug, "I know, let's just try our best to avoid it okay"

"He's going to break when he finds out" Hyesung pressed his finger against his temples. 

"Andy cannot find out that we know, he can not know that we've been helping Jinnie" 

"No sherlock! He'll bite my head off if he knew, we're all dead men walking"


"Meet up with Kongsak at the dock at 2 am, bring two boys, and be careful I don't trust thai arms dealers, they're tricky. Check the guns first, then hand over the cash, you understand"

"Yes Hyungnim"

Junjin took a sip out of his whiskey glass, his plan is coming together, all he needs now is to find the right timing to attack, he was planning to ambush the Uncle six' son when he is receiving his shipments of "Goods" tomorrow from the Viet dealers at a warehouse. He had planted a man to gather information for him a year ago.

Junjin stepped out of the back office and entered the actual bar itself, he suddenly heard glass shatter and found a man shouting at this girl from the corner of his eye.

"Yeah, you ing , at least pour properly! Do you know how expensive these shoes are? It's enough to pay 3 months of your rent! How ing dare you!" he then slapped her across the face.

Junjin looked around, no one gave a damn about the situation. He walked over to the bartender and grabbed a bottle of beer, he headed over as he drank from the bottle, he stood in front of the man and finished the beer. 

"What the are you glaring at? I'm teaching my women how to behave!" 

Junjin looked over to the girl who had a swollen cheek, she had tears streaming down her face,

"Don't disrespect women," he said emotionlessly. 

"Who the do you think you are? I'm not in the mood to deal with you, off the old man"

"Miss, did you already apologize to him?"

She nodded. 

"Apologize to her."

"Excuse me?"

"You are excused, now apologize."

"Ya, listen, I don't know who the you think you are, but get out of my way before I beat you up" 

and right when the man finished his last sentenced Junjin smirked and smashed the beer bottle he was holding over this guy's head, he was now on the floor with blood trickling down his face. 

"Sir, who gave you the right to talk to her like that? She apologized and as a gentleman, you should have told her it's okay. This is my bar and here you play by my rules. Rule #1 No drugs and Rule #2 Don't disrespect women. Do you understand?"

The man vigorously nodded his head, Junjin walked over to the girl and watched as the man bolted out the front door. 

"Thank you", she cried

"It's nothing really, Don over there is going to take you home. He will give you his phone number, if that man ever bothers you again call Don and he will take care of it, understood?"

She nodded. Don escorted her to out. Junjin gestured to a server to clean up the glass shards on the ground. 


January 06, 2002, 10:46 am 

Andy called Junjin for the 100th time but it still didn't go through, he had everyone else looking in and around campus, but he was nowhere to be seen. He then got a call, "I called the phone company, his phones last signal was picked up on West 1st Avenue, I think he's headed for the docks, I'll meet you there!" Hyesung informed over the phone. Andy ran to get a taxi and headed to that location. 

Junjin was waiting for someone to pick him up, he got a text message on his burner phone, [Jin-ah, they know, their coming, once the yacht comes to leave right away, leave and don't look back I will meet you later]

[Eomma, I'm not leaving without you!]

[Trust me Jin-ah, I will come and find you when this dies down]

Junjin closed his flip phone and looked around to make sure no one was following him, he saw the yacht from a distance and waved it over, seconds later he heard tire screeches on the floor. Men carrying baseball bats exited the vehicle, then heard the roar of a motorcycle that he was too familiar with, Dongwan had arrived with Hyesung, they got to Junjin first. 

"Jin, what the hell is going on? We have to go to the police" Hyesung dragged him by the arm, 

"Hyung, please, please leave. We can't go to the police, no one will help us, please Hyung I have to go, those men they're after me, they won't hurt you as long as you're not with me, please guys, leave!"

"You ing idiot, we're not leaving you alone" Dongwan gritted his teeth, the men were 10 paces away from them, the yacht was still a distance away. Hyesung looked around and picked up a pipe that was by a boat, he handed it to Dongwan, "Why the hell are you giving this to me?" 

"Ya! I'm a 4th-degree blackbelt holder, I don't need weapons to kick their asses" 

Dongwan gave him a smirk and took the pipe from him. 

It was 3 against 8, they punched and they kicked and they all that they could to defend themselves and right when they thought they were doomed to die together 2 other guys ran towards them and fought alongside. There was a man that was observing everything from inside the van, he watched as the 5 young men got beaten to a pulp. 

Junjin was on his last burst of adrenaline his body was giving up on him, the pain turned into numbness and his vision was getting foggy, and turned around and the yacht was right around the corner, but he couldn't leave his friends to die.

A Taxi pulled out next to the Van and Andy stepped out to find the catastrophe that was unfolding. A strange man stepped out of the van on the phone, "Yes Hyungnim, we have it under control. Has the plan changed? Yes, I understand"

The man pulled out a gun and ran towards his friends, Andy suddenly realized what was going on and ran after him. Andy threw the man onto the ground. 

"Kid this is none of your business," he said as he wrestled Andy on the ground. 

Andy tried to take the gun away from him but ended up firing it into a mailbox. 

The sound of the gunshot turned all heads, one of the boys that were helping said, "Is... is that a gun?" he had a countryside accent which made Dongwan laugh. 

"That's Andy..." Hyesung said in shock.

The one person Junjin didn't want to get caught up in this mess as Andy, Andy whom he wanted to protect. Andy of whom he cared the most for. He wanted to run over and help him, but the yacht is now docked and the man is yelling for him to get on, Dongwan too is yelling at him to get on the boat, Junjin slips his flip phone into Dongwans pocket and get's on the yacht. 

The armed man frees himself and runs over firing shots at Junjin, Andy watches as he avoids the flying bullets, he then puts the man in a neck lock and chokes him, the gun drops down to the floor. 

"Nobody hurts my friends" Andy grunted, they both fell onto the ground.

Junjin gets on the yacht, his friends injured, laying on the ground. He looks over to Andy hoping to bid him farewell when two gunshots were fired. He watched the two men lay on the ground and moments later the man who he did not recognize stood up and walked towards the others, Andy laid motionless on the ground. 

"No, no, no, please oh god, no, Andy stand up, Andy please," he said to himself as he got further and further away from the dock. He was about to jump into the water to go back and save Andy when one of his people's men pulled him back and forcefully sedated him. 

When they realized that Junjin was long gone, the men had retreated. Hyesung and Dongwan were injured and the two strangers leaned against the walls trying to catch their breath, Dongwan with a bleeding leg ran towards Andy.

Andys white tee was stained with crimson red, the young man was laying in a large puddle of his phone blood, there was a gunshot wound to his left abdomen. Dongwan knelt beside him and pressed onto the would to prevent further blood loss, he could hear the police sirens nearing. 

Dongwans voice was trembling, "Andy ah, come to your senses, please wake up, come on, Andy!" he tapped the boys lifeless face. Hyesung reached out to ensure that he still had a pulse, the two strangers waved the officers over. 


Junjin woke up and found himself inside of a hotel room, there was a briefcase on the lamp desk which was filled with USD and had a single handgun. He read the note that was next to it. 

Our precious Choongjae, I knew that one day the past will come back and haunt us, I just didn't realize that this day will come so soon. Growing up I have never told you about our family. Your father is not an ordinary buisnessman. The people who are after to kill you want to ensure that no one is going to fight for your fathers position in the future, his name is Da Sung and he is your half-brother. I have arrangged a new life here for you in Japan, you will no longer be able to persue the career of being a prosecutor. Listen to Uncle Hoon well, he will take care of you. Under no circumstances are you to tell anyone where you are from. My dear son, I am truly sorry, please stay safe and never return to seoul. 

A knock came at the door and a tall middle-aged man came in, he was dressed like an office worker. 

"Oh good, you're awake. My name is Dong Hoon, I am a good friend of your parents. I will be taking care of you from now on."

"I'm not 5 I don't need to be taken care of" Junjin pouted.

"I understand, but under current circumstances, it is my duty to protect you and to ensure your prolonged safety." 

"How are my friends?"

"Status update from Seoul indicates that your friends have suffered injuries, patient Lee Sunho has undergone surgery and is now stabilizing in ICU" 

Junjin exhaled a breath he didn't realize he was holding in. 

"Dongwan and Hyesung?"

"No major injuries"

"What's the plan now?"

"Tomorrow I will arrange for you to move into my apartment, it's a decently sized place and I have a bedroom prepared for you. I have hired a private Japanese tutor that will teach you for 3 hours every morning. Once I receive all your documents I will enroll you into grad school in business."

"Are you Japanese?"

"I am Korean."

"How about my mom?"

Dong-hoon paused and looked to the ground briefly, "Unfortunealty Mrs. Park has passed away this morning at 4:41 am Seoul time. She was taken and murdered by Dasungs men. Condolences."

Junjin tried to process his thoughts, he wanted to cry, but no tears streamed down his face, he wanted to scream and yell and beat the out of the guy that killed his mother, but he sat there silently staring at Donghoon. 

"I will let you rest, this is your new cell phone, I will come and assist you with check-out tomorrow morning" he then left the room and closed the door. 


In the ER Dongwan and Hyesung watch as Andy was placed onto a bed, they had cut his shirt open and his porcelain skin had blood stained all over it. They eventually had to be asked to get their own injuries treated. They ran into the two young men that fought alongside them. 

"Hey I'm sorry I didn't get to introduce myself, "I'm Dongwan, this is Hyesung, thank you for helping us"

"No worries, I'm Eric and this is Minwoo, I'm a year older than him. We are Police cadet trainees"

"Nice to meet you both, when Andy gets better, I would like to treat you both to dinner"

"That sounds nice, thank you."

Andy had undergone surgery and has not yet woken up, the next day Dongwan heads to the pharmacy to pick up his prescription when something in his pocket rings, it was a phone with an unknown number and out of curiosity he picked it up. 

"Hello?"

"Hyung it's me"