Chapter III

Loyal Dragons Breathe Royal Flames
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

An invigorating breeze blew through the forest and past Byulyi, lifting up locks of her hair as she toiled away tirelessly at her little garden under the blazing sun. She plucked off the last tomato and dumped it into the basket before straightening her back with a groan.

 

Humming as she picked up the basket full of tomatoes and other vegetables, Byulyi made her way out of the garden carefully, making sure to close the latch of the gate before heading back to the house. She sighed in relief when she opened the door to be met with a cooling interior, savouring the shade for a few seconds. She waddled over to the kitchen table and placed the basket upon it, beginning to sort through the piles and separating them into their correct groups. Potatoes on one side, carrots and onion on the other. 

 

Byulyi was halfway done when the squeaking of the door announced the arrival of her lover. 

 

“How was hunting?” Byulyi asked when Yongsun popped her head round the doorway. Judging from the small dots of blood around Yongsun’s mouth, Byulyi’s question was already answered. 

 

The dragonkin smiled and nodded, lifting up her arm to display three large rabbits in her grasp. Byulyi grinned, congratulating the elder with a chaste kiss to her cheeks. Yongsun pouted. 

 

“Not on the lips?” 

 

“You have blood there, I am not kissing animal blood.” Byulyi quipped back, smiling in amusement when Yongsun quickly rubbed away the dry blood on . She faced her again readily, grinning widely. Byulyi made a show of rolling her eyes and sighing, but gently kissed her lover on the lips. 

 

Yongsun trailed after her lips when they broke apart, Byulyi chasing her away to deal with the rabbits. 

 

“We’re gonna miss the market.” She chastised softly, a pointed look in her eyes though her actions said the opposite when her hands seemed to linger around Yongsun’s waist. She returned to sorting and cleaning the vegetables while her little affectionate dragonkin finally got down to the business of skinning up one of the rabbits for tonight’s dinner. 

 

The other two would go to the market, where they would sell it to the butcher while Byulyi would sell away a few of her vegetables. The duo would venture to the village market every once a week to sell their items in exchange for some money when they weren't too busy with affairs from the palace. They were quite well known among a few of the friendly villagers, the butcher and blacksmith close to Yongsun while the ladies that dealt with sewing and gardening were warm towards Byulyi. 

 

Yongsun had helped the blacksmith with his work before, using her fire to heat up the metals for forging when the forge wasn’t cooperating with him. Byulyi, sometimes being bored, had taken up sewing and had assisted a few villagers in fixing up their clothes or did simple embroidery designs for any interested. Turns out she had quite a talent in it, one that even had both Wheein and Hyejin demanding for personal designs. 



 

“All done?” Byulyi called out when she was done packaging the vegetables in their little basket. Yongsun replied back with a confirmation and, once she made sure her daggers were strapped to her body, the younger girl headed out to prepare her horse whom she had affectionately named Haengwoon. 

 

Haengwoon appeared delighted upon seeing her owner, neighing and reaching her neck out to nuzzle her muzzle against Byulyi. Byulyi laughed, cooing to her horse as she petted her down. She began to saddle her up, tying on the saddle bags and making sure Haengwoon was comfortable before leading her out of her stall. 

 

Yongsun was out waiting by the entrance by the basket of vegetables, the two remaining rabbits dangling by her waist to where she had tied them to. She perked up when she saw Byulyi arriving, giving Haengwoon an affectionate pet on the nose, offering her a stick of carrot to munch on before they departed. 

 

Once seated on Haengwoon, Byulyi cued her to start moving forwards, the gentle horse letting out a small huff before trotting forwards. Yongsun rarely ever joined Byulyi in riding, stating that there wasn't enough space for both of them and that she didn't mind walking all the way to and from the palace. She had wings anyway, if she was tired she could fly. 




 

As they walked along the path Yongsun was beginning to feel a slight uneasiness creeping up on her. A feeling as if they were being stalked and watched. 

 

She glanced around anxiously, wondering if she was just imagining things. Byulyi noticed her jittery status and looked down at her in concern. 

 

“Yong? What’s wrong?” 

 

“I don't know...Something just feels...wrong.” 

 

Yongsun replied, glaring into the dark foliages of the forest as if something was going to pop out from the leaves. Byulyi took a look around as well, peering into the dark shadows that the trees provided. Haengwoon seemed fine, being the type to balk at any notice of danger. 

 

“I don't see anything, and Haengwoonie isn't being skittish at all.” Yongsun hummed at Byulyi's comment, sighing to herself as she gave a weary smile up to her. 

 

“I guess I’m being paranoid again.” Byulyi laughed, scratching Yongsun’s head to comfort the dragonkin, Yongsun closing her eyes and purring at the gesture. 





 

They were almost at the village when Haengwoon suddenly slowed from the fast pace that she was going at the past few minutes. The change in pace caught their attention, Byulyi gently tugged against the reins to urge her to pick up speed again. Haengwoon refused and was still moving forwards slowly, as if wary of something lingering in the distance. She flared her nostrils, letting out a huff as she tossed her head. Her ears were swivelling around as her tail swished behind her. It was obvious that something was unsettling the horse.

 

 Byulyi was confused, Yongsun concerned. 

 

“Haengwoonnie?? What’s wrong girl?” Byulyi softly asked, petting the nervous creature gently on the neck in an attempt to soothe her. Yongsun squinted her eyes and swept the area with a quick glance around, scenting the air for anything unusual. 

 

She seemed to pick up on something, turning to face a certain direction, eyes trained on the forest. Straining her ears, she thought she heard a few faint voices far within the forest. Yongsun bit her bottom lip as the tip of her tail flicked in contemplation. There seemed to be a group, at least three people or so. She turned her head to face Haengwoon, noting how the horse seemed to be even more nervous the more they walked. 

 

“Stay here and wait, I’ll go and see what’s bothering her. She won’t move at one point if we keep going, seeing how nervous she is already.” Yongsun said as she untied the rabbits hanging around her waist and handed it to Byulyi who took it with a worried frown on her face. She dismounted from Haengwoon to properly secure the rabbits to the saddle as she spoke her concerns aloud. 

 

“Are you sure? I can come with you, just in case.” 

 

“You don’t have to, it’s probably nothing much. Maybe just an animal or something. I’ll be fine Byul.” Yongsun reassured her lover, waving her hand nonchalantly in the direction of the trees. The frown stayed on the younger’s face but she made no move to follow after Yongsun when she began to walk towards the forest. Byulyi rested a hand on Haengwoon’s neck whilst keeping a gentle grip on her reins lest something happened and Haengwoon was to be spooked and run off. Haengwoon snorted and huffed, slightly calmer with her owner’s hand placed comfortingly on her. 



 

Yongsun jogged over quickly to the foliage, checking the direction of the wind before dipping into it. She stalked quickly through the bushes and trees, treading lightly and keeping herself low as her eyes darted around for any signs of wildlife or people. She scented the air and was surprised when she scented two dragonkins. Two dragonkins and humans.

 

She tracked down the scents and came to a stop behind two large oak trees, peering round the trunks to catch sight of her targets. She had to stifle a growl when she saw what was happening in front of her, her claws digging into the bark of the tree. 

 

Two dragonkins surrounded a small family of three, snarling and snapping their jaws at them and laughing whenever they flinched backwards or let out a whimper. Their claws flexed as they circled the family hungrily, glee in their eyes. The father cradled his two children close to him, shielding his daughter and son. His weak glare made no effect on the dragonkins, only being used as a way to mock him. 

 

What do they want with them…? Yongsun thought to herself as she watched on, careful to not expose herself. 

 

“You humans are pathetic, weak little things. And to think we were supposed to be afraid!! Look at you now, cowering and whimpering like puny little puppies.” One of the dragonkins ridiculed with a smirk, his companion baring his fangs at the children and sniggering when they hid their faces into their father’s clothes. His grip on them tightened, body trembling as he tried his best to stay calm and firm which the dragonkins unfortunately saw right through. 

 

“Soon you will be working for us as slaves, if my dear friend and I don’t decide to eat you first that is!!” 

 

“I am getting a little hungry Mekaz, I haven’t had a taste of human meat for a very long time.” 

 

“Neither have I Arziz. We can have them as snacks for now, when Queen Senera takes the throne we can eat as many as we want with her ruling all the kingdoms. They’ll just be a small taste of what will come in the future.” 

 

The duo gave the family a fanged grin, advancing towards them as they flexed and raised their claws. 

 

“No use running~ We’ll catch you within seconds. But we’

Please log in to read the full chapter