Chapter I

Loyal Dragons Breathe Royal Flames
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

The forest is silent aside from the soft rustling of leaves and the murmur of a nearby running stream. Even the birds were quiet, not a chirp to be heard. Byulyi is crouched behind several bushes, dagger in hand as another is nestled in its sheath by her waist. She eyed her surroundings, looking around carefully before slinking out from her hiding place. 

 

A low growl caught her attention and she immediately bolted, pushing away the branches and leaves in her way as she dashed through the foliage. Panting hard, she glanced over her shoulder to see if she was being followed. A snarl confirmed her thoughts and she doubled her efforts. Though outrunning a dragonkin was basically futile, Byulyi was determined to get away before she would be caught. 

 

As she ran she failed to see a sudden slope in front of her, too engrossed in picking up her speed. She stumbled, sliding and rolling down the hill. She groaned when she reached the bottom, disorientated. Her knees stung, suffering minor scrapes from the fall. 

 

The leaves above her rustled violently as a dragonkin burst forwards, talons outstretched and fangs bared. Byulyi gasped, gaining her bearings and rolling away to push herself up. She readied herself, knowing there was no more running away. 


 

To turn your back on a dragonkin was to welcome death. 



 

The dragonkin and Byulyi circled each other, waiting to see who would strike first. Tail lashing, the dragonkin snarled and struck. Talons flashed as she slashed down at Byulyi who dodged it swiftly. She stepped back and adjusted her grip on her dagger, swallowing hard. The dragonkin slashed forwards again, nearly grazing Byulyi’s skin this time with her claws. Byulyi retaliated, whipping out her other dagger as she shot forward and slashed. The blades glanced harmlessly off the dragonkin’s blue scales, the dragonkin barely flinching from the attack. 

 

They moved at the same time, Byulyi deflecting the attack as the dragonkin shifted forward with claws gleaming. They exchanged multiple attacks and deflects, seemingly on equal levels. Byulyi ducked when a claw swipe was aimed at her neck, dashing forwards to push the dragonkin into a tree. 

 

The dragonkin bared her fangs in a snarl as her tail whipped around on the ground in a rush of leaves, catching Byulyi off guard as it swept her off her feet. She only had time to roll away before claws marks scored the place where she laid just a few seconds before. The dragonkin growled as Byulyi quickly stood back up, panting under her breath. She waited until the dragonkin flew forwards before stepping to the side and ramming the hilt of her dagger up into her neck, making her choke at the same time she hit the back of her knees. The dragonkin collapsed onto her back and Byulyi immediately straddled her, one dagger at as the other was held up high. 

 

Byulyi smirked and was about to plunge the dagger down when she caught sight of a trickle of blood slowly rolling down the dragonkin’s throat. Her grip on her daggers loosened and her form became less tense. The dragonkin, sensing the slack of tension in the blade against her skin, rushed up and knocked Byulyi over, changing their positions swiftly. Daggers scattered away and pinned onto the dirt, Byulyi could only look up with wide eyes at the dragonkin above her whose talons were now at . 




 

“Both your daggers must be at my throat if you want to win sweetheart.” The dragonkin purred, hostile emerald eyes soon sparkling with mirth as she relaxed and smiled down at her discouraged lover. Byulyi groaned, closing her eyes as she let Yongsun bask in her victory. She felt the weight on her shift as Yongsun leaned forwards, nuzzling and peppering Byulyi with playful kisses. 

 

“Alright alright, get off me you rascal.” Byulyi said jokingly as she sat up and held onto Yongsun’s shoulders. The dragonkin glared at her and folded her arms. 

 

“Is that how you treat a winner?” 

 

“You're cute.” Was Byulyi's only reply as she pecked Yongsun’s nose and smiled brightly. Unable to resist such a pure smile, Yongsun’s facade soon broke and she relented. She removed herself from Byulyi's lap and stood up when she saw the scrapes on her knees. 

 

“Does it hurt?” She questioned worriedly as she looked at Byulyi. The younger waved her hand dismissively, not bothered by the faint stinging the wound brought. 

 

“Eh, barely feel it. Are you okay though?? My dagger cut your skin.” Yongsun raised a hand to , bringing back fingers that were stained with droplets of red. She looked surprised, the emotion reflecting itself openly on her face as Byulyi sighed. Of course she wouldn't notice. 

 

“I saw blood and thought my dagger cut too deep when I wasn't supposed to.” Byulyi explained as she pulled herself up with the help of Yongsun. She retrieved her fallen daggers and turned around to face Yongsun who was the blood off. 

 

“That was why you hesitated?” Yongsun asked in amusement as they made to walk back home, hands instinctively interlocking together. She was about to tease Byulyi until she heard her reply. 

 

“I didn't want to hurt you.” 

 

At that she softened, teasingly smile replaced with a reassuring one as she cupped Byulyi's cheeks with her free hand gently and made her face her. 

 

“It doesn't matter if you accidentally hurt me, I’ll be fine. A scratch from you is nothing Byul-ah. Even if you stab my heart I’ll still be alright. One day, you might have to fight and hurt me for real. I want you to be prepared. You

Please log in to read the full chapter