Mission

93°C

A/N: Hello :) Chapter 4 is ready, enjoy!

---------------------

After what happened the night before, Jisoo is trying so hard to pretend that nothing had happened. As Jennie enters the cafe and greets her, Jisoo simply nods and has not spared her a glance until she has to. Jennie senses the awkwardness between them and decides to treat the other as before and forgets about yesterday's event. Jennie is slightly disappointed but maybe it just isn't the right time yet. 

---------------------

"Look at them," says Jennie, to the people at the counter as she points discretely at the guy and lady, who are sitting opposite each other at the different tables.

"So, your point is?" Jisoo caves in and turns around, noticing where Jennie is pointing but all she sees is 2 people doing their own things. She shakes her head disapprovingly, thinking that she has wasted time and continues to busy herself with other tasks that involve another round of cleaning.

"I noticed too, it has been going on for a while," replies Jaemin, cheekily. He is probably ready to join Jennie in a shinanigan aka maybe bringing the two people together.

"Let's help them to get together. Let's call this Love Cafe Mission!" Jennie exclaims, almost too loudly. In return Jaemin agrees while Jisoo shrugs her shoulders, wanting nothing to do with this whole mission. With that, Jennie begins to skip over to the guy and places a dessert in front of the customer.

"I am sorry, I didn't order this." The man is surprised since he didn't order anything order than a cup of iced mocha.

"I know, but give this to her," says Jennie as she points to the female customer. Soon, she skips back to the counter, ready to take a look at how the two are progressing.

The male customer looks at Jennie, his eyes asking for help. He is too flustered and probably too shy to do it on his own. In return, she gives him a fist pump, encouraging him to make a move. Looking at how nervous and unsure he looks, Jisoo concludes that he would not do anything and tells her co-workers, "trust me, it's not going to work if he is that shy."

"Oh come on, these things need time. We just nudged him out of his comfort zone, he will adapt soon," says Jennie, frowns slightly at how Jisoo is dampening the hopes of getting the two people together.

"Good luck then," says Jisoo as she turned around, making herself busy at the counter.

Jennie and Jaemin are now looking at the two people. Both of them signal to the guy to man up and just give the cake to the other. They can also see the lady trying to be unaware of the man's action by reading her book intently.

"Oh man, he just needs another push," laments Jaemin, thinking about what he could do to help.

"Yea, you are right. Why not I pull the strings?" asks Jennie out loud and she makes her way to the table, pulling the guy to stand next to the lady.

"Hi, you are Dara, right? Jiyong here would like to give you this cake," says Jennie and with that, she leaves the two of them alone. As she is at the counter, the two of them seem to be progressing, with Jiyong asking Dara if he can sit next to her and Dara gives a nod. She then takes a bite of the cake and smiles while saying something but to the two cafe staff, they know that it is along the line of, "this tastes good". Soon, Dara passed the fork to Jiyong, gesturing him to take a bite. Soon, they have small talk and everything just progresses naturally.

The sight made Jennie and Jaemin squeal and Jisoo turned around to look at what is going on. She looks at the couple and understands the situation before remembering the time she met her first love.

---------------------

Jisoo met her first love at the cafe that she was working at a few years ago. She remembered it was her third week of work and was stationed at the counter. She didn't like it there but she had to just it up and work. The cafe wasn't busy and soon, a tall brunette entered and asked, "what's good?"

She knew that she had to promote the new item and went on to promote it with much enthusiasm. All she got was a chuckle from the customer and said, "I think I will get americano. But thanks, they sound really good. I will try it next time." After the customer had made her purchase, she went off to the collection counter. Before the customer left, she waved at Jisoo. The customer did come back occasionally and that made her realize that the other worked at the bubble tea shop a few units away. Jisoo made a mental note to visit the bubble tea store.

The day when she went to get a cup of bubble tea, the other was glad to see her and after getting her order, it was the time where they became something special.

"Hey Jisoo, there are orders," says Jennie as she nudges Jisoo who looks like she was zoning out. That snaps the boss out of her trance and looks at the screen before mumbling a "thank you".

She moves the thought away and focuses on making all the drinks but after she is done, her mind drifts back to the memory that she has been haunting her recently.

"I think I need a break. You can take the order while Jaemin can make the coffee," says Jisoo to Jennie before taking off the apron and walks out of the cafe, to the swing. She takes a deep breath, trying to focus. She had done a great job of getting herself off the attachment from the past. She didn't know why all the thoughts are coming back now.

"Chaeyoung, I miss you," she mumbles as she looked at the sky. She notices how blue the sky is and how it transits to a lighter shade almost instantly and clouds start to move across her sight of vision. She closes her eyes and leans back, but memories of the past start to fill her head.

"Jisoo, I left the cake on the table. I will meet you at the cafe. Bye," said Chaeyoung. The tall brunette kissed Jisoo before parting. The older nibbled on the younger's lips slightly, savoring the rose-infused lip balm and said, "come back soon."  The younger pulled her hand away from their intertwined grasp before crossing the road. Before she walked away, she turned towards Jisoo and gave her a goodbye wave. Who knew that that was the last kiss and goodbye Jisoo got from the girl she loves.

"If I only I had gone back with you," mutters Jisoo under her breath as she snaps back to reality, with waves of regret and guilt washing over her.

---------------------

After a short break, Jisoo goes back to the store to see the delivery man, Mino, waiting for her at the counter with all the delivery next to him. As the guy notices her walking back, he tells her, "some extra delivery that you have ordered, 2 boxes of disposable cups, a bag of beans, and some fresh produce." 

She gives a nod and proceeds to check everything with the delivery order sheet before moving everything into the storeroom.

"Hey, can you tell me something about Jennie?" asks Mino, as he passes the other box of disposable cup to the cafe owner. He seems too nosy for Jisoo's liking and shoots him a questioning look, hoping that he would give a further explanation.

"You see, I am kind of interested in her but she is always so busy. I have tried a few times but I get nowhere to spending some time with her. Maybe something about her, her favorite movie, band, food, or something along the line."

Jisoo is trying to so hard to not ignore the question and simply says, "I am not that close to her. You can just ask her yourself."

"You are right, I should just man up and talk to her. You hit the jackpot by hiring her. She is hot," says Mino and he goes out to pack everything since he is done with his work at the cafe. Jisoo on the other hand doesn't mind that Mino is trying to hit on one of her staff since he is a great guy, decent, honest, and rather straightforward but something doesn't feel right.

Once she is done with everything she goes out to see Mino still at her cafe, talking to Jennie, who is at the collection counter. As she returns to her work station, she takes the cloth next to her and starts to wipe the machine, but her ears are trying hard to pick up the conversation behind her. She can hear many foreign names and they sound punky like the names of music bands. She soon gives up since it is starting to bore her and eavesdropping is actually a tiresome feat. She finishes up her cleaning before any new orders start to pop up on the screen.

-------------

The next day, surprisingly, Mino stops by the cafe without any scheduled delivery. All eyes are on him, on a bright and early morning, as if he is waiting for someone.

"Mino Hyung, what are you doing here?" askes Jaemin.

"For my coffee and I am waiting for Jennie. She said that she is learning how to make coffee today and I want to be the first to try her long black. Besides, I am planning to ask her out on a date," says Mino, with a huge beam, anticipating that everything will go well.

"Oh, alright, all the best," says the boy but deep down he is hoping that Jennie would swing immediately and reject Mino instantly. He has made a bet with Aunt Serene that something is going on between his boss and Jennie. He doesn't mind giving Aunt Serene a treat but still, he has faith in Jensoo. Soon, as if his prayer has been heard, the bell rings and the leading lady has appeared.

"Hey everyone," she chirps and soon realizes another figure in the cafe, "oh hi, Mino."

Mino stands and walks to Jennie, passing her a ticket and says, "good morning, Jennie. I have tickets to Fall Out Boys music show. They will be here in Korea next month, let's go together."

Jennie panics and her eyes are scanning around the cafe to recruit some help, especially from a certain someone but the other has her back facing her and her mind starts to work even faster and blurts out, "I will probably be working."

Now it is Mino's turn to think of something and rebuts, "Jisoo said that she will let you leave early or take a day off. Come on, it's in the evening."

Hearing what Mino has said, Jisoo immediately turns her head around and looks at the guy with an unknown expression, as if she has not given any permission or being involved in anything. She sighs internally and decides to be nice and help the poor guy, "we won't be that busy. You can either take the day off or just half-day." With that, she quickly goes into the kitchen, not wanting to be dragged into the situation further or maybe she is trying to avoid Jennie's answer to Mino's question.

---------------

After the mad morning rush, there is finally time to breathe and it's also time for Jennie's first coffee making training. Jisoo calls the girl over and checks her nails. The younger shows her nails and thank goodness they are neat and short, with minimal nail polish. That makes Jisoo smile proudly. It is a huge improvement from the first week when the younger decided to show up in fancy clothes and her nails were long and had fancy art. This time she dresses rather simply and Jisoo likes it.

"Jisoo, can you teach me how to make long black first?" asked Jennie as the boss was checking on her grooming and attire. Jisoo was taken aback by that question but looks out of the counter to see that Mino is still there and gives a nod, not bothering to ask why. She starts by giving a demonstration.

"The first step to making a good long black or any espresso-based coffee is to flush the nozzles. This is to remove any residual water in the pipe that can affect the flow of the water or how the machine functions," says Jisoo as she points to the different nozzles and flushes them one by one. Next, she takes out the coffee extract bar and rinses the basket, telling Jennie that this is also an important step.

"After you are done rinsing, only use this black cloth to clean the basket," says the boss, as she takes the cloth and shows the other, making sure that Jennie only uses this cloth to wipe the basket.

"After we are done with all the preparation, next is to prepare the coffee. We first grind the beans using this setting," says Jisoo, as she presses the button after setting the basket onto the grinder. Next, she taps it and evens the ground beans before fitting the coffee extract bar back into the espresso machine.

"For long black, it's water first. So we will fill the cup with water and then start the drip process. It is also important to bring the cup closer to the extraction bar during the collection process," says Jisoo as she demonstrates how to make a cup of long black. After she is done, she passes the cup to the younger to let her taste it.

Jennie takes a sip and sighs, almost confused with all the steps and says, "wow, making coffee is tough."

Jisoo steps aside for Jennie to take over the work station to see how the other would perform and encourages the other, "don't worry, it is your first time. Now your turn." The younger stands at where Jisoo was previously and takes a deep breath before starting. Jisoo is standing behind Jennie but off-center so that she can watch the entire process. Jennie first flushes everything and rinses the basket.

"Yes, you are right," comments Jisoo and after the other is done, she reminds her, "black cloth only." The younger locates the cloth and takes it, wiping the basket and fills the dried basket with the ground beans, tapping it gently before fitting it into the machine. This makes the boss impressed since Jennie is doing a good job.

The next step is one of the most difficult and dangerous steps and the boss reminds her, "be careful, the water is hot." Jisoo then stands closer to Jennie, wrapping her arms around the younger and holds onto Jennie's hands, helping her hold the cup as she presses the button to start the drip process.

"See, not so difficult," says Jisoo, as she lets go of her hold around Jennie and stands aside. For Jennie, she was still savoring how close Jisoo was behind her and smiles slightly but sweetly at the thought. Jennie took a piece of paper from the order counter and a pen, before scribbling something on the paper and brings the drink to Mino, who is still at the cafe.

"Mino here is your long black and I am sorry. I can't go out with you," says Jennie, as she rejects the guy from making any advances as her heart is already set on someone else. Mino, who has seen everything at the counter, nods, understanding the reason for his rejection, but says, "I will not give up." He then takes a sip of the coffee and watches Jennie walking back to the counter, to continue her training with Jisoo.

"What did you do?" asks Jisoo as the younger returns to the counter. She had been observing what was going on just now and was curious about the smiles exchanged earlier on.

Jennie grins at how nosy Jisoo is and teased, "you are particularly nosy today. But to burst your bubble, I rejected Mino." The latter doesn't ask why and nods, turning around to clean the work station, feeling good about the news.

------------------

A/N at 2: Anyways, I think this chapter will set the background on Chaesoo's relationship and the development of Jensoo's relationship. I think we might be able to see more Jensoo soon.